Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Phoenix Group Holdings PLC (PHNX)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Phoenix Group Holdings PLC (PHNX)

Postby Dod101 » October 3rd, 2023, 12:50 pm

Alaric wrote:
Dod101 wrote:It seems that the MA rules create capital which does not really exist and is used to a greater or lesser extent by most/all life insurers.

An alternative way of lookimg at it is that it enables insurers to value liabilities like annuity outflow at a higher discount rate. So if the Gilt yield is 4%, it may enable the liabilities to be valued at 5% thus stating them at a lower value. In the interests of complicating the financial ststements, the liabilities are stated at their Gilt valuation and the invested assets at market value which is lower but there's a phantom asset added which is the difference between the two valuations. With the relative certainty of annuity outgo insurers don't feel the need to lock their assets into Gilts when higher returns are available in other fixed interest securities with higher credit risks and lower marketability.

Hence I assume the reference to junk bonds in the article I was referring to. I understand that, thank you. Not sure though why you say ‘ In the interests of complicating the financial statements, the liabilities are stated………’ Why would anyone want to complicate the financial statements any more than they already are?

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 4th, 2023, 2:44 pm

Board Changes.

The Board of Phoenix Group Holdings plc ("Phoenix Group" or "the Group") announces that Nicholas Lyons will be appointed as Chair of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Nomination Committee with effect from 1 December 2023. Nicholas resigned from that position on 1 September 2022 to take up the prestigious full-time role of Lord Mayor of the City of London beginning in November 2022 for a one-year term.

Following 10 years on the Board, Alastair Barbour will step down from Phoenix Group Holdings plc as Chair of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Nomination Committee with effect from 30 November 2023 and remain on the Board as a Non-Executive Director until 31 December 2023 to allow for a suitable handover.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... es/7796090

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2023, 7:11 am

Upgrade of near-term cash generation targets.

Phoenix Group upgrades near-term cash generation targets on completion of funds merger through a Part VII transfer

· Funds merger through a Part VII transfer of Standard Life and Phoenix Life businesses into a single entity completed

· Leads to a material one-off upgrade to the Group's 2023 cash generation target from £1.3-to-1.4bn to c.£1.8bn; the Group's three-year cash generation target consequently increases from £4.1bn to £4.5bn across 2023-2025

· Increased cash generation targets create further balance sheet optionality for the Group

Commenting on the announcement, Phoenix Group CEO, Andy Briggs said:

"The completion of the funds merger of the Standard Life and Phoenix Life businesses into Phoenix Life Limited, bringing together 8 million policies, is one of the largest UK insurance Part VII transfers ever completed. This reaffirms Phoenix Group's position as the UK's leader at delivering cost and capital synergies and generating value for customers and shareholders. This funds merger enables us to materially upgrade our cash generation targets and creates further balance sheet optionality for the Group."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/7876202

Ian (I hold).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 13th, 2023, 8:29 am

idpickering wrote:Upgrade of near-term cash generation targets.

Phoenix Group upgrades near-term cash generation targets on completion of funds merger through a Part VII transfer

· Funds merger through a Part VII transfer of Standard Life and Phoenix Life businesses into a single entity completed

· Leads to a material one-off upgrade to the Group's 2023 cash generation target from £1.3-to-1.4bn to c.£1.8bn; the Group's three-year cash generation target consequently increases from £4.1bn to £4.5bn across 2023-2025

· Increased cash generation targets create further balance sheet optionality for the Group

Commenting on the announcement, Phoenix Group CEO, Andy Briggs said:

"The completion of the funds merger of the Standard Life and Phoenix Life businesses into Phoenix Life Limited, bringing together 8 million policies, is one of the largest UK insurance Part VII transfers ever completed. This reaffirms Phoenix Group's position as the UK's leader at delivering cost and capital synergies and generating value for customers and shareholders. This funds merger enables us to materially upgrade our cash generation targets and creates further balance sheet optionality for the Group."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/7876202

Ian (I hold).

Seems to have gone down rather well ..sp up over 8% !

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2023, 8:59 am

monabri wrote:
Seems to have gone down rather well ..sp up over 8% !

Thanks for your input. To be honest I'm pleasantly surprised by the uplift. I've held these for five years and the only direction, apart from the dividend, has been downwards for me. I'm going to employ masterly inactivity with my PHNX holdings, and just let them be.

Ian.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » November 13th, 2023, 9:25 am

Interesting stuff, Ian.

Looks like I could/should have done what I thought about doing: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40831&hilit=phnx

That said, I suppose PHNX must have dropped further to around 464p before today's 36p or so rise (it was 482.2p when I was contemplating). LGEN was 222.5 and is now 224, so I've only "lost" a smaller opportunity of just under 4% by my back of a postage stamp calculation.

Regards, Newroad

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2023, 1:25 pm

Newroad wrote:Interesting stuff, Ian.

Looks like I could/should have done what I thought about doing: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40831&hilit=phnx

That said, I suppose PHNX must have dropped further to around 464p before today's 36p or so rise (it was 482.2p when I was contemplating). LGEN was 222.5 and is now 224, so I've only "lost" a smaller opportunity of just under 4% by my back of a postage stamp calculation.

Regards, Newroad

Interesting indeed. Thanks for your input. To clarify my position/stance with my PHNX holdings, I can add that I've held since 22 Jul 19, have topped up four times since, and my average buying price is £665.8p per share, and therefore I'm sitting on a capital loss of 26%. I haven't sold any of my PHNX holdings since my initial purchase, and have just bought for the dividend yield to be honest. I have no intention of selling my PHNX holdings.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 13th, 2023, 4:56 pm

Shows how this market works. Nothing has changed as far as Phoenix is concerned. All that has happened is that by merging two funds they have thrown up some surplus capital and not a huge amount at that given the size of Phoenix funds. I assume that means that the surplus is available for distribution to shareholders or whatever. I cannot see that it justifies any great increase on the share price. I suspect that it fractionally weakens the position of
Standard Life policyholders since that is where the surplus arose. In the SL funds

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 1st, 2024, 7:21 am

2023 Trading Statement

Phoenix Group delivers another year of strong organic new business growth in 2023 and achieves its 2025 growth target two years early

· 2023 new business net fund flows of c.£7bn, a c.80% year-on-year increase

· Workplace net fund flows of c.£4.5bn have nearly doubled year-on-year with c.£2bn of new scheme assets transferred in 2023, including the transfer of one of the largest workplace schemes tendered in the UK market in recent years

· BPA premiums of c.£6bn written in 2023 (FY22: £4.8bn), with a reduced capital strain of <5%

· The Group has therefore delivered c.£1.5bn of new business long-term cash generation in 2023, achieving its 2025 target two years early

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... nt/8016200

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 18th, 2024, 1:23 pm

PHOENIX GROUP TO REPORT ONE-OFF £70M PROVISION IN RESULTS - REPORT

Phoenix Group slumped on Monday after The Times suggested it will report a one-off provision of £70m in its annual results on Friday to cover the cost of reducing customer charges.
According to The Times, it will cover a cut in annual pension charges across old funds, and other customer support measures, to comply with the Financial Conduct Authority's new consumer duty rules.

These will start to apply to off-sale or closed-book financial products from 31 July.

At 1215 GMT, the shares were down 4.3% at 482.91p.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.10

The above quote is from the company news area of the PHNX board on HL.

PHNX are down 4% as I type.I hold them and am not overly concerned about this news item to be honest.

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 18th, 2024, 2:00 pm

idpickering wrote:PHOENIX GROUP TO REPORT ONE-OFF £70M PROVISION IN RESULTS - REPORT

Phoenix Group slumped on Monday after The Times suggested it will report a one-off provision of £70m in its annual results on Friday to cover the cost of reducing customer charges.
According to The Times, it will cover a cut in annual pension charges across old funds, and other customer support measures, to comply with the Financial Conduct Authority's new consumer duty rules.

These will start to apply to off-sale or closed-book financial products from 31 July.

At 1215 GMT, the shares were down 4.3% at 482.91p.

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.10

The above quote is from the company news area of the PHNX board on HL.

PHNX are down 4% as I type.I hold them and am not overly concerned about this news item to be honest.

Ian.

a 10% + yield on offer :shock:

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 18th, 2024, 2:32 pm

monabri wrote:
a 10% + yield on offer :shock:

Aye. Sadly I've already got a 'full; holding of these, so am not thinking of buying yet more PHNX.

Ian.

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » March 18th, 2024, 3:15 pm

PHNX ex-divi date is usually end of March.

Should they have announced it by now?

Or is the final dividend going to be skipped?

Can they do that. Paul

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 18th, 2024, 3:27 pm

Paultry wrote:PHNX ex-divi date is usually end of March.

Should they have announced it by now?

Or is the final dividend going to be skipped?

Can they do that. Paul

Friday 22nd March

https://www.thephoenixgroup.com/investo ... -calendar/

As regards

" is the final dividend going to be skipped?".... we await the Full Year Results.

"Can they do that?".... of course they can! There is no mandate to pay a dividend.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 18th, 2024, 5:57 pm

idpickering wrote:PHNX are down 4% as I type.I hold them and am not overly concerned about this news item to be honest.

Part of their business model was to buy up old books of high charging products and then let the charges roll in, If the FCA are now objecting to some of the practices that reduces the value of the existing blocks of business. Not paying the full face value of units on surrender or transfer was one of these.

St James Place have faced a similar write down.

I didn't find anything announcing any recent FCA activity in this area.

Some years ago
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... me-charges

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 18th, 2024, 8:08 pm

Alaric wrote:
idpickering wrote:PHNX are down 4% as I type.I hold them and am not overly concerned about this news item to be honest.

Part of their business model was to buy up old books of high charging products and then let the charges roll in, If the FCA are now objecting to some of the practices that reduces the value of the existing blocks of business. Not paying the full face value of units on surrender or transfer was one of these.

St James Place have faced a similar write down.

I didn't find anything announcing any recent FCA activity in this area.

Some years ago
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... me-charges

Might be a risk...but one might have expected the company to be heavily shorted ( currently no visible shorting, visible being >0.5%).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 22nd, 2024, 7:07 am

2023 Full Year Results.

Phoenix announces strong full year 2023 results and new progressive dividend policy

Commenting on the results announcement, Phoenix Group CEO, Andy Briggs said:

"Phoenix's vision is to be the UK's leading retirement savings and income business, and we are making great progress in delivering our strategy to achieve this, as our strong 2023 financial results demonstrate.

We have achieved our 2025 growth target two years early with £1.5bn of new business cash delivered by our Standard Life business - a new record. We delivered over £2bn of cash generation and maintained our resilient balance sheet, and our strong performance has enabled the Board to recommend a 2.5% dividend increase.

The next phase of our strategy will see us balance our investment across our strategic priorities to grow, optimise and enhance our business. This will support us in delivering the ambitious new 2026 targets we are announcing today. Our confidence in this strategy is demonstrated by the new progressive and sustainable dividend policy we will operate going forward."

2023 financial results highlights

Cash: growing sustainable cash generation

· £2,024m total cash generation1 in 2023 (FY22: £1,504m) exceeded our upgraded target of c.£1.8bn for the year, including a c.£400m benefit from the Part VII transfer of Standard Life and Phoenix Life as announced in November.

· £1,514m of incremental new business long-term cash generation (FY23: £1,233m), achieving our 2025 target of c.£1.5bn two years early.

Includes strong growth from our capital-light Pensions and Savings business to £395m (FY22: £249m) and an increase in our Retirement Solutions business to £1,066m (FY22: £934m), supported by enhanced capital efficiency.

Capital: resilient balance sheet

· £3.9bn2 Solvency II ('SII') Surplus remains resilient (FY22: £4.4bn) and is inclusive of a prudent £70m Consumer Duty provision, following a comprehensive review of our back book products ahead of the July 2024 compliance deadline.

· 176%2,3 SII Shareholder Capital Coverage Ratio ('SCCR') (FY22: 189%3), towards top-end of 140-180% operating range.

· 36% SII leverage ratio (FY22: 34%) and 23% Fitch ratio4 (FY22: 23%4).

Earnings: driving improved profitability

· IFRS adjusted operating profit before tax increased 13% year-on-year to £617m (FY22: £544m5), driven by strong growth in our Pension and Savings business, which is up 27% year-on-year to £190m (FY22: £150m).

· New business net fund flows of £6.7bn increased 72% year-on-year (FY22: £3.9bn), driven by strong Workplace flows.

· Significantly reduced IFRS loss after tax of £(88)m (FY22: £(2,657)m5) due to lower market volatility impacts in 2023.

· Contractual Service Margin of £2.9bn (gross of tax), grew 10% driven by new business and Sun Life of Canada UK.

Attractive 2023 dividend growth supported by strong business performance

· The Board is recommending a 2.5% increase in the Final 2023 dividend to 26.65p per share; Total dividend of 52.65p.

And later;

Dividend details

The recommended Final 2023 dividend of 26.65 pence per share is expected to be paid on 22 May 2024.

The ordinary shares will be quoted ex-dividend on the London Stock Exchange as of 11 April 2024. The record date for eligibility for payment will be 12 April 2024.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... rt/8101374

Ian (I hold).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 22nd, 2024, 7:47 am

Seriously....this comes with a 10%+ yield? I don't know why the yield on offer is so high? Perhaps it will re-rate if the trajectory on this metric continues to improve?

"Significantly reduced IFRS loss after tax of £(88)m (FY22: £(2,657)m5) due to lower market volatility impacts in 2023."

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » March 22nd, 2024, 7:52 am

idpickering wrote:.......Our confidence in this strategy is demonstrated by the new progressive and sustainable dividend policy we will operate going forward.....

I don't hold, but keep the occasional eye on it in case of any read across to LGEN.

Classic management hype (there is a ruder word) in my view.

Comforting words perhaps, but I see little difference between this dividend policy and the one stated in the previous annual report;

The Group has a clear dividend policy which is to pay a dividend that is sustainable and grows over time

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 22nd, 2024, 8:50 am

The above report released today seems to have been well received by the market, with PHNX being up 7% as I type.

I was hoping for more than a 2% or so rise in the dividend to be honest. Very happy to hold though, and topped up my holdings of PHNX at the end of last year.

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”