Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Diageo (DGE)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Diageo (DGE)

Postby monabri » December 17th, 2020, 11:52 am

Fingers crossed!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rade-chief

"The UK and the United States are hoping to reach an agreement on reducing trade tariffs, according to Robert Lighthizer, the US trade representative in Donald Trump’s outgoing administration.

In an interview with the BBC, Lighthizer said he was in talks with the UK’s international trade secretary, Liz Truss, which could remove hefty tariffs imposed by the US on goods including Scotch whisky."

" UK goods such as Scotch whisky and woollen jumpers were hit with 25% tariffs levied by the US."

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Designation of EU Home Member State for regulatory purposes

Following the exit of the United Kingdom from the European Union and the subsequent end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December 2020, Diageo plc ("Diageo") announces that its EU Home Member State for purposes of the EU Transparency Directive (Directive 2004/109/EC, as amended) will be Ireland.

Diageo will therefore begin filing certain regulatory information with the Central Bank of Ireland in accordance with applicable EU and Irish law. Major shareholders will also be required to report substantial holdings in Diageo to the Central Bank of Ireland in accordance with applicable Irish law, in addition to continuing to comply with their disclosure obligations under the UK Disclosure Guidance and Transparency Rules. Diageo's status as a UK PLC and the location of its headquarters in the United Kingdom remain unchanged.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 34464184L/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 28th, 2021, 8:13 am

Interim results, six months ended 31 December 2020

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 00111336N/

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 28th, 2021, 8:47 am

Slightly disappointing they aren't guiding to reinstate the share buy back programme previously announced. Understandable given the ongoing global uncertainties surrounding the Covid pandemic, but it would be a demonstration of confidence in the future outlook.

Another 6 months time to assess the debt and leverage position I imagine is how they are thinking.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 28th, 2021, 10:36 am

Thanks Ian I suspect that that is about as much as we could expect from Diageo T the moment and it has modestly increased its dividend which pleases me.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 28th, 2021, 10:44 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks Ian I suspect that that is about as much as we could expect from Diageo T the moment and it has modestly increased its dividend which pleases me.

Dod

You're welcome Dod. I agree with your sentiments. The near 4% rise in sp as I type is nice too. Happy to hold, but am not looking at topping up my holdings of DGE currently, as much as I'd like to. ;)

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 12th, 2021, 7:27 am

Update on trading and capital return programme

Diageo plc (Diageo) today announces that it expects organic operating profit growth to be at least 14% in fiscal 21, slightly ahead of organic net sales growth. In the context of this strong performance, Diageo is recommencing its return of capital (ROC) programme of up to £4.5 billion to shareholders announced on 25 July 2019. Due to the impact of Covid-19, the original completion date for the ROC programme has been extended by two years to 30 June 2024.

Current trading update

Following a strong performance in the first half of fiscal 21, with a return to organic net sales growth, our business has continued to deliver a good recovery across all regions. In North America, our largest market, our performance has remained particularly strong, reflecting resilient consumer demand, the breadth of our portfolio and the effectiveness of our marketing and innovation.

In Europe, we are benefitting from strong execution in the off-trade channel and the partial re-opening of the on-trade channel in certain markets. In Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America and the Caribbean, we are seeing a continued recovery in most markets, despite the ongoing impact from Covid-19. Travel retail remains severely impacted.

Return of capital programme

On 25 July 2019, the Board of Diageo approved the return of up to £4.5 billion to shareholders in the three-year period from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2022, utilising the most appropriate mechanic of either share buybacks or special dividends depending on market conditions. Under the first phase of the ROC programme, which ended on 31 January 2020, Diageo repurchased shares to a value of £1.25 billion. On 9 April 2020, Diageo announced that it had not initiated the next phase of the ROC programme.

Diageo is announcing today that it is initiating the second phase of its ROC programme of up to £1.0 billion to be completed by the end of fiscal 22. Diageo has entered into a non-discretionary agreement with UBS AG London Branch (UBS) to enable the company to buy back shares. This agreement will commence on 12 May 2021 and is expected to end no later than 12 November 2021 and will be for a value of up to £0.5 billion. All shares repurchased will be cancelled. Further execution phases of the ROC programme will be announced in due course.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 00043481Y/

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » May 12th, 2021, 3:48 pm

I'll drink to that!

A few stiff ones tonight. Johnny Walker Red Label. :D

Best wishes

Mark.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » July 29th, 2021, 8:17 am

Dividend up 5%. That’s more than forecast!

Best wishes

Mark

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 29th, 2021, 8:34 am

Thanks to Mark for the above.

Diageo delivers strong growth in net sales, operating profit and cash generation and is well positioned for the future

Delivered strong net sales growth, particularly in North America, our largest market

Reported net sales (£12.7 billion) increased 8.3%, with strong organic growth, partially offset by an adverse foreign exchange impact.

Organic net sales growth of 16.0%, driven by growth across all regions and a benefit from lapping a reduction of inventory levels by our customers in fiscal 20.

North America organic growth of 20.2%, reflecting resilient consumer demand, spirits taking share of total beverage alcohol and the replenishment of stock levels by distributors and retailers.

Operating profit growth ahead of net sales growth

Reported operating profit (£3.7 billion) increased 74.6%, and reported operating margin increased by 1,112bps, primarily due to a significant reduction in exceptional operating items.

Organic operating profit growth of 17.7%, following decline in fiscal 20, with growth in all regions except Europe and Turkey.

Organic operating margin increased 46bps, driven by overhead efficiencies and lapping one-off expenses, partially offset by gross margin decline and upweighted marketing spend.

And later;

Dividend

The group aims to increase the dividend each year and the decision in respect of the dividend is made with reference to dividend cover as well as current performance trends including sales and profit after tax together with cash generation. Diageo targets dividend cover (the ratio of basic earnings per share before exceptional items to dividend per share) within the range of 1.8-2.2 times. For the year ended 30 June 2021 dividend cover is 1.6 times. The recommended final dividend for the year ended 30 June 2021, to be put to the shareholders for approval at the Annual General Meeting is 44.59 pence, an increase of 5% on the prior year final dividend. This brings the full year dividend to 72.55 pence per share, an increase of 4% on the prior year. We will keep future returns of capital, including dividends, under review through year ending 30 June 2022 to ensure we allocate Diageo's capital in the best way to maximize value for the business and our stakeholders.

Subject to approval by shareholders, the final dividend will be paid to holders of ordinary shares and US ADRs on register as of 27 August 2021. The ex-dividend date both for the holders of the ordinary shares and for US ADR holders is 26 August 2021.The final dividend, once approved by shareholders, will be paid to shareholders on 7 October 2021 and payment to US ADR holders will be made on 13 October 2021. A dividend reinvestment plan is available to holders of ordinary shares in respect of the final dividend and the plan notice date is 16 September 2021.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 00118327G/

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2021, 7:08 am

Diageo issues trading commentary ahead of AGM 2021

Ivan Menezes, Chief Executive, commented:

"We have made a strong start to fiscal 22, with organic net sales momentum across all regions. This reflects excellent execution, as we benefit from resilience in the off-trade and continued recovery in the on-trade. However, we expect near-term volatility to remain, including the potential impact of any future waves of Covid-19.

Our North American business is performing strongly, despite some supply chain constraints, reflecting resilient consumer demand. We continue to invest ahead in marketing and innovation to underpin long-term growth. Our business in Europe is recovering ahead of our expectations. Off-trade demand has remained robust and there is good momentum in the on-trade. Our businesses in Africa, Asia Pacific and Latin America and the Caribbean are performing well, although volatility in these markets is likely to persist. Travel Retail continues to be disrupted.

We expect organic operating margin to benefit from a further recovery in sales volumes, positive channel mix and premiumisation trends, while we are continuing to invest in our marketing and commercial capabilities. As previously indicated, we are managing rising inflationary pressures, which are partly due to supply chain constraints.

I am pleased with how our business is performing and I remain confident in our ability to deliver long-term sustainable growth and shareholder value. We will continue to do business in the right way, from grain to glass, for all our stakeholders."

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 00104480N/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 1st, 2021, 3:43 pm

One of my problems is that I never seem to have spare cash when prices are low and whenever I do the market is high. Diageo is a case in point. It ought to be in my portfolio and that of my children but whenever I have looked at it it has looked too expensive. It is near a high point a.t.m. and the dividend is nothing special. Any views on whether they are worth buying at this point? I see directors bought at not much less recently.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » October 1st, 2021, 4:29 pm

Bouleversee wrote:One of my problems is that I never seem to have spare cash when prices are low and whenever I do the market is high. Diageo is a case in point. It ought to be in my portfolio and that of my children but whenever I have looked at it it has looked too expensive. It is near a high point a.t.m. and the dividend is nothing special. Any views on whether they are worth buying at this point? I see directors bought at not much less recently.

Diageo always seems to be expensive. In its defence it is a quality business, arguably it's one of the few world class companies in the FTSE100, its global brands have extremely strong moats.

Distillers deserve to be more highly valued than the brewers as they are increasingly producing premium and luxury goods.

Diageo' main quoted competitors, Pernod Ricard and Brown Forman, are even more expensive.

Sometimes you just have to pay up for quality :D

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 1st, 2021, 4:52 pm

You'll be pleased to know I just did, SH. Decided to take the plunge and bought some at 35.178452 when the price had dropped a couple of pence so was pleased to see your reassuring post. They may not rocket but I agree that they are less of a risk than most. I find it difficult to know what to buy at the moment and there are very few of my too large number of holdings I feel tempted to top up. There are so many things affecting companies adversely in recent times that even good companies will struggle. Customers can't buy products if they are not in stock or if their own resources are reduced. I see that Dom Cummings sold all his shares recently. He obviously knew what was coming! Looking forward to pouring myself a drink.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 1st, 2021, 5:17 pm

Bouleversee wrote:One of my problems is that I never seem to have spare cash when prices are low and whenever I do the market is high. Diageo is a case in point. It ought to be in my portfolio and that of my children but whenever I have looked at it it has looked too expensive. It is near a high point a.t.m. and the dividend is nothing special. Any views on whether they are worth buying at this point? I see directors bought at not much less recently.

On what measure is it expensive though?

It's got a ROE of > 30% and an operating margin about the same. If you are using measures such as yield (or dividend - as in "nothing special") to quantify cheap/expensive you are playing a strange kind of game. Try looking for companies that have large margins and returns rather than dividends. Its hard to question the former, the latter are the result of a few old men (usually) discussing it twice a year, and worrying how it must be higher than last year etc.

Personally I love companies that always seem to look expensive and don't fall in price to previous cheap levels. That means they are successful. Very satisfying, particular if I bought them despite being "expensive" previously. I will have made money!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 1st, 2021, 5:56 pm

As a matter of fact, Dealtn, I don't buy for high dividends (I have hitherto bought mainly for growth) but they do sometimes send the price up. I do pay attention to PER, however, and prefer to see it a bit lower. I don't claim to be an expert investor, just an old lady who does her best with limited time and energy. The companies which have made huge paper profits for me in recent times are Greggs and Victoria Carpets (VCP), neither of which is paying a dividend at the moment, but paper profits can sometimes disappear abruptly so I do now prefer to see a reasonable dividend though a very high one frightens me off as it often means that the price has tumbled and may continue to do so. Persimmon has been a money spinner in both ways but that may not continue.

I don't claim to be an expert investor, just an old lady who does her best with limited time and energy, doesn't do spread sheets or unitising but who actually has done pretty well over the years. She doesn't appreciate scathing comments but is grateful for helpful advice and information from those who have more knowledge and time than she does. I am not playing any kind of game, though I have to admit investing in shares gets more and more like snakes and ladders, which I always found rather boring. There are quite a number of "quality" companies which have fallen on hard times; I hold quite a number of them, bought many years ago. Who knows which will be next? With Keith Starmer saying that the money for all his schemes will have to come from those with the broadest shoulders, including shareholders, we had better all watch out. I wonder what will happen to personal pensions, not that I have one myself, and ISAs which I do have. Luck be a lady ....

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 16th, 2021, 3:09 pm

https://ir.q4europe.com/Tools/newsArtic ... anguage=en

Capital Markets Day presentation.

The markets seem pretty content with the forecast sales growth. All very satisfactory. An oft overlooked share as the dividend is unexceptional.

Best wishes,

Steve

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 27th, 2022, 7:21 am

Interim results, six months ended 31 December 2021

Delivered strong net sales growth across all regions

- Reported net sales of £8.0 billion increased 15.8%, with strong organic growth, partially offset by an adverse foreign exchange impact.

- Organic net sales grew 20.0%, driven by strong double-digit growth across all regions, supported by effective marketing and excellent commercial execution.

- Growth reflects continued recovery in the on-trade, resilient consumer demand in the off-trade and market share gains, and was underpinned by favourable industry trends of spirits taking share of total beverage alcohol and premiumisation(i).

And later;

An interim dividend of 29.36 pence per share (2020 - 27.96 pence) was approved by the Board of Directors on 26 January 2022. As the approval was after the balance sheet date, it has not been included as a liability.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/diageo-pl ... 00087750Z/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 27th, 2022, 7:37 am

Thanks Ian. Is this the first of the results to 31 December for 2022? Interims of course. Looks good all round and the interim dividend increased by 5%. I cannot find a payment date although I guess it will be there somewhere.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 27th, 2022, 8:08 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks Ian. Is this the first of the results to 31 December for 2022? Interims of course. Looks good all round and the interim dividend increased by 5%. I cannot find a payment date although I guess it will be there somewhere.

Dod

You're welcome Dod. In answer to your question, the dates are detailed here;

An interim divi dend of 29.36 pence per share will be paid to holders of ordinary shares and ADRs on the register as of 25 February 2022. The ex-dividend date is 24 February 2022. This represents an increase of 5% on last year's interim dividend. The interim dividend will be paid to ordinary shareholders on 7 April 2022. Payment to ADR holders will be made on 12 April 2022. A dividend reinvestment plan is available to holders of ordinary shares in respect of the interim dividend and the plan notice date is 11 March 2022.

I wish all my shares were as steady as DGE. ;)

Ian.

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”