Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Morgan Sindall Group (MGNS)

Share latest information on individual companies and hot news discussions. LSE Main Market companies only
Forum rules
No penny shares or promotional posts
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » February 25th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Final results out today: https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1455542

Share price up over 11% which is pleasing to this holder.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Morgan Sindall Group (MGNS)

Postby bluedonkey » February 25th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I've held it for years. It's extremely well run. Dividend reinstated at previous level.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 22nd, 2021, 6:34 pm

I noticed MGNS had put out a trading report this morning ( https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1470771) which sounded rather encouraging and made a mental note to look at the s.p. when I had time, thinking it might have recovered a bit. Before I got round to that, however (lots of things to attend to today), another RNS came in showing that the CEO and (presumably) his wife had disposed of 650,000 shares between them at £20.50 per share so I thought I'd better have a look to see what was going on. The price was by then £22.05 to sell, up 18.31% on the day, getting near closing time. One wonders why they would sell so many shares if all is going so well, but for all I know that may be just a drop in the ocean so far as they are concerned. What do others make of this situation and if holders would they be inclined to sell or top up?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 22nd, 2021, 6:46 pm

My first purchase of this company was in 2003 and I still hold that tranche. My experience of the company over many years is that it is conservatively run and their public statements never exaggerate. I don't know why the director sold but I don't see it as a red flag. The company generally under-promises and over-delivers.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 22nd, 2021, 7:02 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I noticed MGNS had put out a trading report this morning ( https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1470771) which sounded rather encouraging and made a mental note to look at the s.p. when I had time, thinking it might have recovered a bit. Before I got round to that, however (lots of things to attend to today), another RNS came in showing that the CEO and (presumably) his wife had disposed of 650,000 shares between them at £20.50 per share so I thought I'd better have a look to see what was going on. The price was by then £22.05 to sell, up 18.31% on the day, getting near closing time. One wonders why they would sell so many shares if all is going so well, but for all I know that may be just a drop in the ocean so far as they are concerned. What do others make of this situation and if holders would they be inclined to sell or top up?

The RNS will state the current position of the holding too

https://www.investegate.co.uk/morgan-si ... 33293558W/

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » April 22nd, 2021, 10:39 pm

dealtn wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I noticed MGNS had put out a trading report this morning ( https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1470771) which sounded rather encouraging and made a mental note to look at the s.p. when I had time, thinking it might have recovered a bit. Before I got round to that, however (lots of things to attend to today), another RNS came in showing that the CEO and (presumably) his wife had disposed of 650,000 shares between them at £20.50 per share so I thought I'd better have a look to see what was going on. The price was by then £22.05 to sell, up 18.31% on the day, getting near closing time. One wonders why they would sell so many shares if all is going so well, but for all I know that may be just a drop in the ocean so far as they are concerned. What do others make of this situation and if holders would they be inclined to sell or top up?

Thanks, D. I missed that info in the small print at the beginning; too keen to get onto the deals. I did look for it at the end, which would seem to me to be the logical place to have it, but no doubt you would disagree. I see they have plenty left.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It will be interesting to see whether the upward momentum continues or whether the buying spree stops.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 23rd, 2021, 8:57 am

Bouleversee wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Thanks, D. I missed that info in the small print at the beginning; too keen to get onto the deals. I did look for it at the end, which would seem to me to be the logical place to have it, but no doubt you would disagree. I see they have plenty left.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It will be interesting to see whether the upward momentum continues or whether the buying spree stops.

No problem.

There will have been timing restrictions too since they are "insiders" so only have windows on when they are able to trade (both buy and sell) shares.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 22nd, 2021, 10:28 am

Trading update today:

"Since its last Trading Update on 22 April 2021, trading has been strong and the positive momentum across the Group has continued to accelerate. All divisions have performed well and the results for the Group for the six months to 30 June 2021 are expected to show profit before tax1 in the region of £53m, reflecting growth of c238% on the 2020 half year result2 and up c46% on the 2019 'pre-pandemic' comparative period2.

The cash performance has again been strong, with average daily net cash for the first half of £294m (HY 2020: £153m). The net cash as at 30 June was £337m (HY 2020: £146m)."

[snip]

"As a result, the Group now anticipates that its full year results for 2021 will be significantly ahead of its previous expectations.

The Group will announce its half year results to 30 June 2021 on 4 August 2021."

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1493437

Share price up about 14% today.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » March 25th, 2022, 10:15 am

Superb full year results from Morgan Sindall today. Dividends, cash, profits all up by roughly 40% compared to the pre-Covid year of 2019.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 19th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Any Morgan Sindall fans in the audience? I regard Morgan Sindall as a quality company in a pretty poor quality industry. I did work for them as a consultant about 12 or so years ago on a project and kept half an eye on them since.

Presently, the yield is a tad below 5%, dividend looks well covered, share price well down from year highs, P/E looks undemanding. Compared to say Balfour Beatty, arguably another quality operator, Morgan Sindall looks pretty decent value. I think.

Thinking of adding some MGNS to my SIPP, predominantly for income and perhaps skme growth medium term. I have no other contractor or house builder or anything like it presently.

Before I click the "buy" button, just interested in hearing what the audience think of the company at the moment? Thanks.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 19th, 2022, 4:05 pm

I've been a long term holder of this company (since 2003). Gone through recession, Covid, they always manage to come through. They are conservatively run, holding net cash rather than net debt. As you say, they tend to get overlooked because of the sector. You can check the fundamentals but one nugget is that my records show that the dividend is 5.7 times what it was in 2003.

Like any share, the price will fluctuate. My only advice is just hang on to it, don't set a stop loss!

If you are in/near London, you can visit their head office and meet the FD. He was very approachable when I contacted them a few years ago.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 19th, 2022, 4:59 pm

bluedonkey wrote:I've been a long term holder of this company (since 2003). Gone through recession, Covid, they always manage to come through. They are conservatively run, holding net cash rather than net debt. As you say, they tend to get overlooked because of the sector. You can check the fundamentals but one nugget is that my records show that the dividend is 5.7 times what it was in 2003.

Like any share, the price will fluctuate. My only advice is just hang on to it, don't set a stop loss!

If you are in/near London, you can visit their head office and meet the FD. He was very approachable when I contacted them a few years ago.

Thank you. That's very good to hear. A purchase here isn't a trade for me. It's for the income generating portfolio in my SIPP. At around 5% yield today, I think it's pretty much as good as it gets with Morgan Sindall. I'm encouraged my thinking is echoed by you.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 19th, 2022, 8:26 pm

I was going to buy some last Monday. It's a well run company in an industry that often produces poor returns for investors. Its share price return and dividend over the last decade stand out from most of the rest of the construction sector.

It looks like an ideal candidate for anyone running a HYP.

But on Monday morning I woke up with the thought that I should instead buy some Manchester United. This has happened to me quite a few times over the years and have learned to trust it; it's almost certainly the subconscious thinking things through whilst asleep.

Not long after I bought Elon Musk tweeted about buying Manchester United and then other interested parties appeared on the scene.

Morgan Sindall remains at the top of my buy list for the near future. I will probably have bought some by Christmas

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 19th, 2022, 9:33 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:I was going to buy some last Monday. It's a well run company in an industry that often produces poor returns for investors. Its share price return and dividend over the last decade stand out from most of the rest of the construction sector.

But on Monday morning I woke up with the thought that I should instead buy some Manchester United. This has happened to me quite a few times over the years and have learned to trust it; it's almost certainly the subconscious thinking things through whilst asleep.

Not long after I bought Elon Musk tweeted about buying Manchester United and then other interested parties appeared on the scene.

Morgan Sindall remains at the top of my buy list for the near future. I will probably have bought some by Christmas

Maybe you can buy Man U some new players instead? ;)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » August 19th, 2022, 9:38 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:I was going to buy some last Monday. It's a well run company in an industry that often produces poor returns for investors. Its share price return and dividend over the last decade stand out from most of the rest of the construction sector.

Didn't Musk say he was only joking about Man. Utd?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 20th, 2022, 12:04 am

BullDog wrote:Any Morgan Sindall fans in the audience? I regard Morgan Sindall as a quality company in a pretty poor quality industry. I did work for them as a consultant about 12 or so years ago on a project and kept half an eye on them since.

Presently, the yield is a tad below 5%, dividend looks well covered, share price well down from year highs, P/E looks undemanding. Compared to say Balfour Beatty, arguably another quality operator, Morgan Sindall looks pretty decent value. I think.

Thinking of adding some MGNS to my SIPP, predominantly for income and perhaps skme growth medium term. I have no other contractor or house builder or anything like it presently.

Before I click the "buy" button, just interested in hearing what the audience think of the company at the moment? Thanks.

Well ... how long have you got. Book value looks high to me. And if you look at the chart that tends to agree with a suggestion of high book value. I'd also suggest that Balfour Beatty aren't a quality operator. They came unglued significantly in the last 10 years (or was it 15 - sorry I'm getting old).

Civil engineering companies and "builders" rely heavily on government capital spending. Boris rolled out the notion that we could build our way out of our economic problems. Probably because it seemed to have worked in the past. Boris is leaving office. Inflation, resource shortages and a host of other issues such as Ukraine are all threats to the amount of money our government can commit to the construction industry.

As we left the EU we "dumped" our cheap labour resource. We created inflation, but that was delayed by Covid. And Covid exaggerated that inflation.

In my opinion we have a recession looming on the horizon. That may be a better time to buy certain stocks such as civil engineers and builders and perhaps even house builders

Take care

AiY(D)

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 20th, 2022, 12:41 am

Bouleversee wrote:

Didn't Musk say he was only joking about Man. Utd?

Yes he did. But his tweet has drawn attention to the company and seems to have flushed out several potential bidders.

The market capitalisation was about $2 billion when I bought. In a trade sale, even with the current squad and taking into account what Chelsea were sold for, Manchester United are probably worth something in the region of $3.5 to $4.5 billion. That's a big discount and I can be very patient. So I bought.

Anyway, I'll probably be buying a few Morgan Sindall by the end of the first week of September. Enough dividends should have arrived by then! I suspect that whoever is our new PM they will authorise some major infrastructure projects, which will support the share price.

Politicians love to be photographed wearing hard hats on building sites, and to pass new laws, rather than making existing things work and enforcing the current laws.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 24th, 2022, 11:04 am

Couldn't resist buying some more MGNS at <1400p. Quite a wait for the next dividend as they're presently ex dividend. As usual, I was too early buying this share. Seems to have been trashed alongside the general house builders despite MGNS being a quite different company to Bellway, Barratts etc.....

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 10th, 2022, 4:47 pm

BullDog wrote:Couldn't resist buying some more MGNS at <1400p. Quite a wait for the next dividend as they're presently ex dividend. As usual, I was too early buying this share. Seems to have been trashed alongside the general house builders despite MGNS being a quite different company to Bellway, Barratts etc.....

A rather perky MGNS share price today. Good to see.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » December 16th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Finally bought in a few minutes ago at 1,493p. Though I've mostly stopped investing in the UK, due in large part to excessive NIMBYism and the political chaos, Morgan Sindall remained on my watchlist as a future buy given how well it is run compared to most of the rest of the industry.

The half year results, which seemed pretty decent especially when compared to much of the construction sector, so to use a football term I "pulled the trigger".

As to my earlier comments in this thread about my choosing Manchester United instead of Morgan Sindall back in August, I recently sold half my Manchester United shares at just over 50% profit. Some of that money went back into Morgan Sindall :D

Return to “Company Share news (LSE Main Market)”