Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Daughters School Ofsted Report - Outstanding Across the Board

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Daughters School Ofsted Report - Outstanding Across the Board

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 8th, 2022, 9:57 pm

I can't tell you how proud I am of my daughter and her school.

Outstanding in every category.

An excellent testament to the work and and efforts of

1. The teachers, assistant teachers and all the support staff
  2. The pupils
  3. The governors
  4. The Head Mistress & her team
AiY

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Daughters School Ofsted Report - Outstanding Across the Board

Postby stevensfo » January 9th, 2022, 2:08 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I can't tell you how proud I am of my daughter and her school.

Outstanding in every category.

An excellent testament to the work and and efforts of

1. The teachers, assistant teachers and all the support staff
  2. The pupils
  3. The governors
  4. The Head Mistress & her team
AiY

Not forgetting the exhausted parents who stand over their kids every evening, holding a 200,000 volt cattle prod, magically produce rulers, rubbers, pens, pencils etc, in an attempt to get the little sods to do their homework!

Been there, got the teeshirt etc. 8-)

Steve

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 10th, 2022, 10:04 am

I think this might be the biggest problem in the UK these days, it underpins all the other problems to some extent - social issues (sometimes intertwined with racial issues) social mobility, the future of the economy, the quality of our politicians, employment stresses....the list goes on.

Full respect to your daughter's school but every child should have a school like this if we want this country to be a success.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 10th, 2022, 1:57 pm

.;.. and all it takes is a change of head teacher and/or governor and a school can go from outstanding to inadequatein a matter of a very few years.

like a school just down the road from us.

outsanding -> satisfacrory -> good - > inadequate in a decade

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 11th, 2022, 5:19 pm

doug2500 wrote:I think this might be the biggest problem in the UK these days, it underpins all the other problems to some extent - social issues (sometimes intertwined with racial issues) social mobility, the future of the economy, the quality of our politicians, employment stresses....the list goes on.

Full respect to your daughter's school but every child should have a school like this if we want this country to be a success.

How can every school be outstanding, is it not really a relative term, what are they standing out from if they are all the same? :D

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » January 18th, 2022, 2:20 pm

doug2500 wrote:Full respect to your daughter's school but every child should have a school like this if we want this country to be a success.

I'm struggling to articulate my negative reaction to this. It seems to read as "all schools need to be the same", which I hope you didn't mean.
My children are doing very well in an "outstanding" academic school, but I want schools that offer opportunities for less academic children to find their own strengths and schools that can accommodate children with health issues that make it hard for them to handle a rigid timetable where missing a couple of weeks or a term means that it's hard to catch up.
The system seems fixated on academic results and designed to enforce conformity rather than responsiveness to the specific needs of the pupils.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 18th, 2022, 2:42 pm

tsr2 wrote:
doug2500 wrote:Full respect to your daughter's school but every child should have a school like this if we want this country to be a success.

I'm struggling to articulate my negative reaction to this. It seems to read as "all schools need to be the same", which I hope you didn't mean.
My children are doing very well in an "outstanding" academic school, but I want schools that offer opportunities for less academic children to find their own strengths and schools that can accommodate children with health issues that make it hard for them to handle a rigid timetable where missing a couple of weeks or a term means that it's hard to catch up.
The system seems fixated on academic results and designed to enforce conformity rather than responsiveness to the specific needs of the pupils.

Agreed.

I have long held the view that, certainly in urban areas, schools should be grouped in clusters, with children say 14+ being able to spend certain days at other premises in the cluster taking more vocational courses , trades, gardening, textiles, etc. So more traditional curriculum say Mon-Wed, more vocational courses available Thurs-Fri , no stigma re which school, an ability to all mix and match pathways etc.

If you are of a certain age you may remember the film Grease where the school appeared to have a working garage, whilst I do not believe all schools can provide all services (space) there might be merit in hair salons, garages etc linked with the schools and arithmetic, basic physics , accounting etc linked and taught with real life applications.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 18th, 2022, 3:00 pm

tsr2 wrote:
doug2500 wrote: My children are doing very well in an "outstanding" academic school, but I want schools that offer opportunities for less academic children to find their own strengths and schools that can accommodate children with health issues that make it hard for them to handle a rigid timetable where missing a couple of weeks or a term means that it's hard to catch up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they refer to these schools as academies and they offer a range of options which "theoretically" dovetail into courses suited for the workplace. Each academy has to offer English and Maths but they then offer their own curriculum based on the needs of the local population.

My daughter had issues with glandular fever when she was (believe it or not) 10. When she moved from primary to secondary education the school continued to monitor her well being and she has a medical exemption card so she can leave the room if she needs to. She's not used it yet. I believe her school also manages each child's needs based on medical grounds individually.

AiY

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » January 18th, 2022, 7:59 pm

tsr2 wrote:

It certainly wasn't meant to be controversial, or imply that every school had to be exactly the same for every child, just that every child deserves a well run school and a good education experience. Having read it again I'm not sure where the misunderstanding arose, but hopefully this clears it.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 19th, 2022, 9:04 am

tsr2 wrote:The system seems fixated on academic results and designed to enforce conformity rather than responsiveness to the specific needs of the pupils.

Really? An Ofsted report considers a lot more than academic performance, and a school fixated on that alone can't achieve an outstanding result.

What system are you referring to?

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » January 19th, 2022, 9:26 am

dealtn wrote:
tsr2 wrote:The system seems fixated on academic results and designed to enforce conformity rather than responsiveness to the specific needs of the pupils.

Really? An Ofsted report considers a lot more than academic performance, and a school fixated on that alone can't achieve an outstanding result.

What system are you referring to?

Maybe I'm a little behind the times. In the Michael Gove era I seem to remember, amongst other things, that the academic result was a kind of gatekeeper. You could only achieve outstanding if your academic results were outstanding. It didn't matter how well you performed on other criteria and how much improvement you got out of your intake, if you weren't getting a certain level of GCSE/A-Level results you couldn't get an outstanding grade.
I may be wrong, but that seemed to feed into "zero tolerance" policies on absence that caused real problems for some of my friends' kids with chronic health issue. It may have improved now or it may have been those particular schools, rather than "the system".

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » January 19th, 2022, 10:03 am

There have been a lot of changes of the inspection framework since Gove was Ed Sec (that's over 7 years ago!)

In terms of "outstanding", the most significant recent change is that schools previously judged "outstanding" are no longer exempt from routine inspection. Since some schools had been holding on to that judgment (without further inspection) for quite a while, it is now the case that quite a few (most?) previously "outstanding" schools are now found to be less than that.

Schools which retain the "outstanding" judgment after being inspected this academic year are probably actually outstanding.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 19th, 2022, 10:14 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they refer to these schools as academies and they offer a range of options which "theoretically" dovetail into courses suited for the workplace.
AiY

I aslo could be wrong but AFAIK academies are schools that are funded directly from the DoE rather than a LA. And:

If a school funded by the local authority is judged as ‘inadequate’ by Ofsted then it must become an academy.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-school/academies

As many LAs are now cash-strapped, many schools get 'academised' in order to get them off the books. They are 'not for profit' organisations but many seem to pay quite high salaries to their CEOs.

RC

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » January 19th, 2022, 1:03 pm

Academies can be of many types - some are what used to be grammar schools and are very good at teaching at a high level. It does remove them from some of the Local Authority control. In many cases the LA slice a fairly large percentage off the school budget before handing it to the schools and being an academy is a way to reduce their ability to take such a large percentage of the school budget before the school gets it.

The high salaries tend to only be where the person is managing multiple schools rather that a single academy. These groupings of schools should give savings of scale in what they purchase - whether this works in practice is a mute point. It can also allow teachers to move between the schools - which hopefully spreads 'best practice' across the schools. Again whether this works is open to debate.

Some parents have a bias against grammar schools and some with academies, but often they are very well run good schools. A great deal depends on the quality of the head teacher and the governors.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 22nd, 2022, 12:46 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:I have long held the view that, certainly in urban areas, schools should be grouped in clusters, with children say 14+ being able to spend certain days at other premises in the cluster taking more vocational courses , trades, gardening, textiles, etc. So more traditional curriculum say Mon-Wed, more vocational courses available Thurs-Fri , no stigma re which school, an ability to all mix and match pathways etc.

A few years back my town had two secondary schools a few miles apart.

One was focussed on academic achievement and attracted pupils who would benefit from that environment (or children of parents who thought they would), and the school received very good Ofsted reports.

The other school attracted the children of parents who didn’t care or didn’t have the knowledge or influence to get their children into the other school. This school focused on more vocational courses and received very poor Ofsted reports.

The local authority tried many things to improve the second, vocational, school, but nothing worked.

In the end their solution was to merge the two schools (although they have subsequently been offloaded to become a single academy).

The merger created a single school with an average Ofsted report, which solved the council’s problem, although ironically each campus still carried on as before with the academic pupils attending the academic campus and the vocational pupils attending the vocational campus, with little or no mingling of the two.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » February 22nd, 2022, 1:30 pm

AF62 wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:I have long held the view that, certainly in urban areas, schools should be grouped in clusters, with children say 14+ being able to spend certain days at other premises in the cluster taking more vocational courses , trades, gardening, textiles, etc. So more traditional curriculum say Mon-Wed, more vocational courses available Thurs-Fri , no stigma re which school, an ability to all mix and match pathways etc.

A few years back my town had two secondary schools a few miles apart.

One was focussed on academic achievement and attracted pupils who would benefit from that environment (or children of parents who thought they would), and the school received very good Ofsted reports.

The other school attracted the children of parents who didn’t care or didn’t have the knowledge or influence to get their children into the other school. This school focused on more vocational courses and received very poor Ofsted reports.

The local authority tried many things to improve the second, vocational, school, but nothing worked.

In the end their solution was to merge the two schools (although they have subsequently been offloaded to become a single academy).

The merger created a single school with an average Ofsted report, which solved the council’s problem, although ironically each campus still carried on as before with the academic pupils attending the academic campus and the vocational pupils attending the vocational campus, with little or no mingling of the two.

And that last part is part of the problem, the academic route or the skills route when really a mixed route ought to be possible.

I do believe there is a core literacy and numeracy skillsets that schools ought to impart, I am just not sure this solely needs delivered from a classroom.

Some really basic physics of electricity (and a little arithmetic) could be taught having kids in a school garage tracking faults in a car's electrical circuits, W=VI, V=IR, 1/Rt= 1/R1+1/R2 etc, run a hair salon in an school and apart from the hairdressing techniques some basic hands on training in financial record keeping/office admin could also be learned.

When I started training with ICAS in the 80s one part of the then Prelim stage was we were given a wad of mock invoices/daybooks etc re a business and basic accounts prep then followed, there is a big difference from learning abstract debits and credits and actually working with genuine vouchers of a "real" business.

From what I learn from my wife (she works within a local school) there is each year a cohort of kids where traditional school does not work, imho more thinking outside the box is needed to embrace this but also avoid an us and them education system.

Return to “Family Matters”