Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Private GP Services

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Private GP Services

Postby Lootman » May 11th, 2022, 2:40 pm

redsturgeon wrote:We have opened a private pharmacy, we cannot dispense NHS prescriptions but deal with prescriptions from the local private GP practices and will be dealing with the new local private hospital soon.

Does it follow that a pharmacy that dispenses NHS prescriptions cannot fill private prescriptions?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 11th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:We have opened a private pharmacy, we cannot dispense NHS prescriptions but deal with prescriptions from the local private GP practices and will be dealing with the new local private hospital soon.

Does it follow that a pharmacy that dispenses NHS prescriptions cannot fill private prescriptions?

I have sometimes had private prescriptions which I have taken to a pharmacy that does NHS ones and they handle the private ones fine. They just charge for them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 11th, 2022, 5:04 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I have sometimes had private prescriptions which I have taken to a pharmacy that does NHS ones and they handle the private ones fine. They just charge for them.

Correct.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 11th, 2022, 5:56 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Correct.

So (and meaning no disrespect to your business acumen nor to your pharmacological prowess), what is the business opportunity here?

If Boots, Lloyds, SuperDrug etc. can all do both NHS and private prescriptions, and have a huge economy of scale, then what will your edge be?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 11th, 2022, 6:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Correct.

So (and meaning no disrespect to your business acumen nor to your pharmacological prowess), what is the business opportunity here?

If Boots, Lloyds, SuperDrug etc. can all do both NHS and private prescriptions, and have a huge economy of scale, then what will your edge be?

We don't expect to make too much money from the dispensing of drugs, that is just a service that we provide to our clients. However we have a certain clientele who wouldn't be seen dead in Boots (ie. the type of person who uses private GPs) and there is a pretty standard fee structure for dispensing private prescriptions that won't really be undercut by Boots or Lloyds. We also speak to the local GPs to ensure we have the right drugs in stock. How many times have you been to your local pharmacy and been told to come back tomorrow for your medicines.

We will make most money on other services, blood tests, vaccinations, allergy testing, ear wax removal etc and once Mrs RS can prescribe then she is pretty much offering the same services as a private GP but with the drugs dispensed on the premises.

I must admit I was sceptical as first about how profitable the business might be but having seen with my own eyes customers coming in for a covid test and then walking out with a couple of hundred pounds worth of lotions and potions, I have changed my mind.

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 11th, 2022, 8:34 pm

redsturgeon wrote:We don't expect to make too much money from the dispensing of drugs, that is just a service that we provide to our clients. However we have a certain clientele who wouldn't be seen dead in Boots (ie. the type of person who uses private GPs)

I wouldn't be seen dead in Boots! (For a prescription.) But that's nothing to do with private medicine or snobbery, it's after experiencing their dispensing service.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 11th, 2022, 8:59 pm

XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:We don't expect to make too much money from the dispensing of drugs, that is just a service that we provide to our clients. However we have a certain clientele who wouldn't be seen dead in Boots (ie. the type of person who uses private GPs)

I wouldn't be seen dead in Boots! (For a prescription.) But that's nothing to do with private medicine or snobbery, it's after experiencing their dispensing service.

They are actually terrible since the Americans bought them. A small symbol of much of what was good about this country sold out to the highest bidder.

John

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » June 15th, 2022, 3:30 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:

They are actually terrible since the Americans bought them. A small symbol of much of what was good about this country sold out to the highest bidder.

John

There was a BBC1 Panorama programme on Monday about the issue. An undercover reporter worked in a GP service owned by an American company that has acquired several practices in England. There are very few doctors - lots of 'physician assistants' - and not easy to get an appointment with them either. Lots of referral letters lying around unsent for months.

My own GP surgery has become part of a group of several centres run by a company. The name of the Ltd company doesn't appear on the Companies House register, so I assume it's an overseas entity.

I transferred to a different GP practice, but it's just as bad - the 'triage' system is an obstacle course designed to make patients (supplicants) give up the will to live.

Return to “Family Matters”