Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Good college

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
HarleyQuinn

Good college

Postby HarleyQuinn » June 16th, 2022, 5:44 pm

How to find a good college for a child? I can't choose anything suitable. Can you give me some good advice?

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Good college

Postby servodude » June 17th, 2022, 2:56 am

HarleyQuinn wrote:How to find a good college for a child? I can't choose anything suitable. Can you give me some good advice?

At the moment that sounds like a "piece of string" question

"College" can mean a lot of different things; what age or stage is the child at?

What at the moment matters to them?
What are they like? ...what do they like? what are they good at (or not)?
What do they want to do?

What matters to you?

Once you've got an idea of of what you (all) want - you can start finding out where might suit (or not)

-sd

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 20th, 2022, 12:47 pm

New user joined on the same day of posting, with a slightly odd (in the context of the UK at least) query.

Im undoubtedly being paranoid, and apologies to HQ if so, but this may be a set up for legitimacy, and then subsequent spam..

didds

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » June 20th, 2022, 4:41 pm

didds wrote:New user joined on the same day of posting, with a slightly odd (in the context of the UK at least) query.

In a UK context, "college" is either a posh name for a school, Eton College, Wellington College etc or a subdivision or constituent of a university, Trinity College Cambridge, Imperial College London etc.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 20th, 2022, 7:06 pm

didds wrote:New user joined on the same day of posting, with a slightly odd (in the context of the UK at least) query.

It's either been written into English using a translation program (the odd use of 'choose' as well as college), or else it's a bot message. I tend toward the latter explanation, but I'm always happy to be wrong. HarleyQuinn, why don't you drop us another message so that we can be a little more specific? And tell us where you need this school to be, and what the student's age is?

BJ

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 20th, 2022, 7:21 pm

Alaric wrote:

In a UK context, "college" is either a posh name for a school, Eton College, Wellington College etc or a subdivision or constituent of a university, Trinity College Cambridge, Imperial College London etc.

or:

Sixth form college
A sixth form college is an educational institution, where students aged 16 to 19 typically study for advanced school-level qualifications, such as A Levels, Business and Technology Education Council and the International Baccalaureate Diploma, or school-level qualifications such as General Certificate of Secondary Education examinations.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_form_college)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 20th, 2022, 8:59 pm

Alaric wrote:

Yes. Exactly.

hence " with a slightly odd (in the context of the UK at least) query."

and with particular emphasis in the OP of "for a child? ".

subdivisions of universities won't be for "a child" - Ruth Lawrence apart maybe (and even she was ... 13? ).

Even posh "colleges" aren't on the whole "for a child" - that would be a prep school surely?

didds

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 20th, 2022, 9:16 pm

HarleyQuinn wrote:How to find a good college for a child? I can't choose anything suitable. Can you give me some good advice?
Can you be a bit more specific? C.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 21st, 2022, 12:00 am

didds wrote:
Alaric wrote:

Yes. Exactly.

subdivisions of universities won't be for "a child" - Ruth Lawrence apart maybe (and even she was ... 13? ).

Even posh "colleges" aren't on the whole "for a child" - that would be a prep school surely?

didds

I know of at least one "college" in the UK that starts at kindergarten

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 21st, 2022, 8:41 am

servodude wrote:I know of at least one "college" in the UK that starts at kindergarten

I can think of some Etonians who never graduated from the playpen. ;)

BJ

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 21st, 2022, 11:37 am

servodude wrote:
didds wrote:Yes. Exactly.

didds

I know of at least one "college" in the UK that starts at kindergarten

There is one less than a mile from me with a prep school, senior school and a sixth form. I believe that it is now coeducational all the way through, having started with the sixth form.

For the younger element, I understand that 6th Form is now referred to as Years 12 and 13.

TJH

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » September 6th, 2022, 8:57 am

Thank you all for your replies

Return to “Family Matters”