Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to csearle,brightncheerful,Dormouse,Silverstar64,dave559, for Donating to support the site

Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.

Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

1. Yes
27
42%
2. No
29
45%
3. Something else/other
8
13%
 
Total votes: 64

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1960
Joined: February 7th, 2017, 9:36 pm
Has thanked: 2486 times
Been thanked: 1088 times

Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350397

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 25th, 2020, 6:21 am

Probably a little late for them to do anything constructive or positive now.

doug2500
Lemon Slice
Posts: 392
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:51 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350520

Postby doug2500 » October 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

I am a don't know, I don't know enough about any other support that the gov claims to be handing out.

I do think it's not a fair fight, a well known celeb on one side with the best of intentions and a worthy cause fighting a single issue, versus the government fighting a pandemic amongst other things who would probably love to fund loads of things if they could.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1841
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Been thanked: 524 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350525

Postby kempiejon » October 25th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Should the government offer free school meals?

fisher
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 228
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350536

Postby fisher » October 25th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Why are they being referred to as "school meals" if the children are not at school. Am I missing something?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Slice
Posts: 664
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:40 am
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 217 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350538

Postby GrahamPlatt » October 25th, 2020, 5:22 pm

It’s not whether “the government” should, it’s whether the taxpayer should. From me, that’s a yes.
I would go farther, I’d say provide free university tuition, along with a means-tested subsistence grant.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1628
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:12 am
Has thanked: 1045 times
Been thanked: 528 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350551

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 25th, 2020, 6:11 pm

fisher wrote:Why are they being referred to as "school meals" if the children are not at school. Am I missing something?

Probably because the meals will be provided via the same route as 'school meals' whether that be by voucher or actual food and by the same qualification.

RC

Adamski
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 248
Joined: July 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 407 times
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350553

Postby Adamski » October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm

The govt will U turn cause of the media pressure but this is just another example of what's going on. In the town I live the twitterati SJWs have put teddy bears and placards outside the Tory office cause how the evil tories are starving children. The anti govt media campaigns are endless at the moment and part of a shift to the left I've seen past few years. The media will only be satisfied when the country has a socialist government which is what i think could happen next election.

dealtn
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3165
Joined: November 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 1038 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350557

Postby dealtn » October 25th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Adamski wrote:SJWs


?

fisher
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 228
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 135 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350559

Postby fisher » October 25th, 2020, 6:45 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
fisher wrote:Why are they being referred to as "school meals" if the children are not at school. Am I missing something?

Probably because the meals will be provided via the same route as 'school meals' whether that be by voucher or actual food and by the same qualification.

RC


Thanks.

I guess there's also a political bent to it. Calling them free school meals in holiday time implies they are being deprived of something they are entitled to rather than something extra that is being called for.

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 9246
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 1673 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350562

Postby Lootman » October 25th, 2020, 6:54 pm

dealtn wrote:
Adamski wrote:SJWs

?

Social Justice Warriors AKA middle class busybodies virtue-signalling their wokeness. Or:

"An annoying person who tells other people what to do, while hiding behind the false pretense that they are protecting some vulnerable person or group."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SJW

Gerry557
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 174
Joined: September 2nd, 2019, 10:23 am
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350579

Postby Gerry557 » October 25th, 2020, 7:58 pm

I remember things called parents, they had a responsibility to feed you.

Now it's the States problem and the tax payer. If you are going to pay school meals why not uniforms. Then they will need taxis to collect. Tampons, toys at Christmas the list can keep being pushed and when the first domino falls it's only a matter of time.

What about pool poverty. I think the government should install swimming pools on my estate as I am one of the pool less people on the estate and its not fair.

I suppose you could argue that by feeding the kids means you need less in benefits so a couple of packets of fags less a week, so health benefits for both.

OK I'm taking liberties and lots said in jest but it's starting to head towards a state controlled environment and when it gets too expensive will we start getting one child policies forced on us.

anniesdad
Lemon Pip
Posts: 57
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 4:27 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350581

Postby anniesdad » October 25th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Err no.
Parents should.
Am I missing something here?

Is it wrong for parents to spend benefits on alcohol,fags, sky?

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 9246
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 1673 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350597

Postby Lootman » October 25th, 2020, 9:44 pm

anniesdad wrote:Is it wrong for parents to spend benefits on alcohol,fags, sky?

If they do that and then turn around and ask for higher benefits because they claim they cannot afford to feed their kids, then yes it is wrong.

I'd love to see an analysis of the number of homes on welfare that spend money on such items, or have expensive smartphone or Sky/Virgin media packages.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2341
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 1105 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350603

Postby Mike4 » October 25th, 2020, 10:36 pm

"Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday"

Of course they should. And why limit it to children? Food is a human right. Everyone should get free food. Why on earth not?

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 9246
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 1673 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350604

Postby Lootman » October 25th, 2020, 10:39 pm

Mike4 wrote:"Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday"

Of course they should. And why limit it to children? Food is a human right. Everyone should get free food. Why on earth not?

Just because you have a right to something does not imply that it should be free.

Food, water, housing, heating, electricity, transport, healthcare and many other things are claimed as rights, but you still have to pay for most or all of them.

Mike4
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2341
Joined: November 24th, 2016, 3:29 am
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 1105 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350606

Postby Mike4 » October 25th, 2020, 10:44 pm

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:"Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday"

Of course they should. And why limit it to children? Food is a human right. Everyone should get free food. Why on earth not?

Just because you have a right to something does not imply that it should be free.

Food, water, housing, heating, electricity, transport, healthcare and many other things are claimed as rights, but you still have to pay for most or all of them.


Had you there a treat, lol!!!

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 9246
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 1673 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350608

Postby Lootman » October 25th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:"Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday"

Of course they should. And why limit it to children? Food is a human right. Everyone should get free food. Why on earth not?

Just because you have a right to something does not imply that it should be free.

Food, water, housing, heating, electricity, transport, healthcare and many other things are claimed as rights, but you still have to pay for most or all of them.

Had you there a treat, lol!!!

Not really, I figured nobody could be that dumb, but there are some who advocate free everything for everyone, so it does no harm to doubly slap that down.

Mike88
Lemon Slice
Posts: 678
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:17 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 162 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350610

Postby Mike88 » October 25th, 2020, 10:59 pm

The cynic in me thinks that free school meals frees up more money for scratch cards, cigarettes and booze. Are children really going hungry through lack of money or is it because parents are unable to budget choosing to spend benefit money on other things? Is it really the government's responsibility to feed children or is it the parents?

Dod101
Lemon Half
Posts: 7649
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 1818 times
Been thanked: 3192 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350617

Postby Dod101 » October 25th, 2020, 11:27 pm

But of course I can recall a time when I managed to get to the Senior Secondary school having passed my qualifying exams at 11 plus or something like that and receiving a packet of large banknotes of £50 each which of course I gave to my mother. This was a grant to me because my parents would not otherwise be able to support me. The SS school meant I was committing myself to school well beyond the compulsory age of 14 or 15 (I forget the details)

So this sort of thing is not exactly new. I disagree with free school meals however because I think it will be demeaning for the kids and no doubt the majority of parents could, if they had a mind to, feed their children anyway.

It is a bit like food banks. Great if you can get it but otherwise I would just need to 'get by'.

Dod

Arborbridge
Lemon Half
Posts: 6466
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 1551 times
Been thanked: 2364 times

Re: Should Government Offer Free School Meals During the Holiday

#350632

Postby Arborbridge » October 26th, 2020, 7:44 am

Mike88 wrote:The cynic in me thinks that free school meals frees up more money for scratch cards, cigarettes and booze. Are children really going hungry through lack of money or is it because parents are unable to budget choosing to spend benefit money on other things? Is it really the government's responsibility to feed children or is it the parents?


I don't remember such questions being asked - particularly not amongst the wealthy denizens of TLF - when we had "eat out to help out" which largely helped the middle classes who had money to spend.
We haven't raised all these pseudo moral issues during other financial interventions with the exception of disagreements here concerning Tesco paying its dividend.

If we can afford to give a subsidy to the middle classes and plough billions into businesses, why can't we raise a relatively small sum to help in what is clearly an urgent and real need? Not only that, I see it as just as valid way of stimulating the economy as these other interventions. The only difference is that we are helping the poor instead of the middle classes - but it's still benefitting everyone in the economy, particularly those in low paid jobs in the catering industry who are also struggling. In that sense, it is a no brainer - there are so many winners, yes: even the moaning middle benefit indirectly.

People who object do seem to be on the wrong side of the argument, and letting their class prejudice show.

PS Mike88 this not all aimed at you, but your post just sparked a series of thoughts :)

Arb.


Return to “Family Matters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest