Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to csearle,brightncheerful,Dormouse,Silverstar64,dave559, for Donating to support the site

School meals: 'I remember going to bed with hunger pains'

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 25th, 2020, 7:55 pm

"I find it hard to remember ever having a cooked meal at home," says Danielle, who relied on free school meals as a child.

AiY

dealtn
Lemon Quarter

Re: School meals: 'I remember going to bed with hunger pains'

Postby dealtn » October 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm

I'm not sure what this article is trying to say. It seems to say quite a lot about the past, and how things were then, but is very light on describing what the issue is today, what the Government is doing about it, and why that might be inappropriate (or not).

If I were cynical I would be thinking the article is attempting to portray the poverty of the past as being applicable today. I would hope that wasn't the aim of the piece, but I'm really not sure. It's more likely it's just a sloppy piece of journalism than an agenda piece, but others may have alternative opinions.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter

Re: School meals: 'I remember going to bed with hunger pains'

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 25th, 2020, 11:27 pm

dealtn wrote:I'm not sure what this article is trying to say. It seems to say quite a lot about the past, and how things were then, but is very light on describing what the issue is today, what the Government is doing about it, and why that might be inappropriate (or not).

If I were cynical I would be thinking the article is attempting to portray the poverty of the past as being applicable today. I would hope that wasn't the aim of the piece, but I'm really not sure. It's more likely it's just a sloppy piece of journalism than an agenda piece, but others may have alternative opinions.

From the little I've read this evening I'm not sure I'm aware of how large the problem is. I accept journalists, politicians and statisticians are all great with presenting facts to suit their latest argument but I think there may be some genuine "food poverty" in the UK and I suspect from what little I've read this evening it's not limited to a minority. I come from a reasonably affluent market town but 6 miles away the contrast is very real and it's probable that Covid 19 isn't helping.

AiY

Return to “Family Matters”