Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

GCSE's Are Coming Very Soon

Family, children, advice, schooling, finance for children, all things kids.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

GCSE's Are Coming Very Soon

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 4th, 2023, 9:19 am

My daughter is sitting 11 GCSE's starting next Friday and lasting about a month. She's worked very hard and her discipline to revise is beyond reproach. Her efforts will bring the rewards she deserves.

I’ve found it quite difficult to digest the pressure she’s under. However, I’ve continuously reminded her that if she gets a mark she’s not content with she can resit in November. She did well in her mocks and has continued to improve since.

AiY(D)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: GCSE's Are Coming Very Soon

Postby redsturgeon » May 4th, 2023, 9:43 am

Best of luck to your daughter, if she has worked hard then she will reap the rewards.

One thing to add. As long as her GCSE marks are enough to get her into the A level courses she wishes to follow then that is sufficient. Having better marks than anyone else at GCSE is completely irrelevant, apart from personal satisfaction.

The efforts and organisation she has put in will be good training for what is required at A level and she would be better advised to put her energies into those rather than any GCSE resits.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 4th, 2023, 10:04 am

redsturgeon wrote:Best of luck to your daughter, if she has worked hard then she will reap the rewards.

One thing to add. As long as her GCSE marks are enough to get her into the A level courses she wishes to follow then that is sufficient. Having better marks than anyone else at GCSE is completely irrelevant, apart from personal satisfaction.

The efforts and organisation she has put in will be good training for what is required at A level and she would be better advised to put her energies into those rather than any GCSE resits.

John

Thank you John. Good advice, as usual, and I know you're speaking from experience. I think I'm more nervous than my daughter :lol: .

We've always tried to encourage her and remind her that the only person she's competing with is herself. In fairness she has taken that advice on board. When we had parents evening, which is a five-minute video call with each teacher, I noticed they all encouraged her and helped her to target where she needed to revise and where she could take her foot off the gas a little. Her grades in her mocks were [more than] acceptable and she's been taking past papers since which are showing an improvement on those grades.

She's in the Police Cadets and is strongly considering joining the police when she's 18. Her back up plan is to go to University. Her chosen A’ levels are physics, chemistry, and psychology.

Thank you again

Take care

AiY(D)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 4th, 2023, 1:46 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:My daughter is sitting 11 GCSE's starting next Friday and lasting about a month. She's worked very hard and her discipline to revise is beyond reproach. Her efforts will bring the rewards she deserves.

I’ve found it quite difficult to digest the pressure she’s under. However, I’ve continuously reminded her that if she gets a mark she’s not content with she can resit in November. She did well in her mocks and has continued to improve since.

AiY(D)

I am forever reminding young people that they can have their mobile phone stolen, be burgled etc, but their qualifications can never be taken away.

You may want to check out the local regional colleges and their extended diplomas. Two years and equivalent to A-levels, but without the school atmosphere. Our youngest hated the lower sixth. He transferred to a Regional college, did a diploma in Computing Science and ended up getting a triple distinction, getting a cash prize, went to uni, and bought the most expensive laptop in existence! ;)

Maybe it's different where you are, but in Cambridgeshire, some schools (academies?) have been insisting on uniforms for even the sixth formers! Since the 1970s, the sixth form was seen as promoting an entrance into adult life, so this decision seems a very backward and unprofessional step.

But if the teachers are good, go for it! Every kid is different.

Just remind them that after a few years working, all this will pale into insignificance, as the rest of their life opens before them.

Steve

PS Not so sure I like this life opening business! 8-)

Return to “Family Matters”