Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Where's our Tier 1?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Where's our Tier 1?

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 9:30 pm

murraypaul wrote:
What is your strategy for dealing with Covid at this point? Xfool ducked that question but I feel sure that you will not.

Basically what we are doing.

Then we agree.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 5th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:As an aside, is your implicit claim there that The Telegraph is biased and wrong, but The Guardian is unbiased and correct?

And if so, does that give readers information about those newspapers? Or information about your personal prejudices?

So what's that called? 'Bait and switch'?

No, if someone claims that paper A is right and paper B is wrong, then they need to back that claim up with more than just "paper A supports my biases".

Once again, you are missing all the pertinent points and concentrating on the peripheral ones. It's about appropriate sources of expertise and who is trustworthy. Some people believe in expertise, consensus, realism. Some prefer 'alternatives', 'anti-establishment' opinions, counter-arguments etc.

They like to call it being broad-minded. I like to call it something else. ;)

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:What was it Lootman said about some people not being happy despite the waning of the virus?

Glad you are paying attention. I was noting how some people here and elsewhere seem positively sad that the virus is on the retreat, to the point of even denying that. Almost as if their scaremongering about the virus represented an important part of their lives.

Who? Where? I know you keep saying so - so I guess it must be you.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 5th, 2021, 10:17 pm

Lootman wrote:
murraypaul wrote:I think most sensible people are expecting them to go up again as lockdown is relaxed more and more.

Ah I see you are using the Xfool tactic of claiming that anyone who disagrees with you is not "sensible".

I see you are using your usual tactic...

Lootman wrote:Anyway, what you are ignoring is vaccinations. You know, our entire and successful strategy of escaping that loop of despair.

Once again... Who is "ignoring vaccinations"?

Lootman wrote:What is your strategy for dealing with Covid at this point? Xfool ducked that question but I feel sure that you will not.

XFool did not duck the question. XFool said we are on a trajectory, guided by sensible, evidence based advice. We should stay on that path and ignore 'contrary', opinionated voices.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 10:24 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:So what's that called? 'Bait and switch'?

No, if someone claims that paper A is right and paper B is wrong, then they need to back that claim up with more than just "paper A supports my biases".

Once again, you are missing all the pertinent points and concentrating on the peripheral ones. It's about appropriate sources of expertise and who is trustworthy.

I would welcome evidence to support your claims about "appropriateness" and "trustworthy". Sounds a lot like you define those in terms of your personal preferences.

XFool wrote:XFool did not duck the question.

Ah I see, so Xfool decides how readers assess Xfool's contributions? Glad we cleared that up.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 5th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:Once again, you are missing all the pertinent points and concentrating on the peripheral ones. It's about appropriate sources of expertise and who is trustworthy. Some people believe in expertise, consensus, realism. Some prefer 'alternatives', 'anti-establishment' opinions, counter-arguments etc.

I would welcome evidence to support your claims about "appropriateness" and "trustworthy". Sounds a lot like you define those in terms of your personal preferences.

Yes. My personal preferences are indeed for "appropriate" and "sensible" expertise, as opposed to "contrary" and "maverick" - or of those with some axe to grind due to their political ideology.

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:XFool did not duck the question.

Ah I see, so Xfool decides how readers assess Xfool's contributions? Glad we cleared that up.

I certainly get to correct any misrepresentation of what I said. The relevant evidence in this case is to look at what I did say - as opposed to what somebody claims I said.
Last edited by XFool on May 5th, 2021, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 10:31 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:Once again, you are missing all the pertinent points and concentrating on the peripheral ones. It's about appropriate sources of expertise and who is trustworthy. Some people believe in expertise, consensus, realism. Some prefer 'alternatives', 'anti-establishment' opinions, counter-arguments etc.

Yes. My personal preferences are indeed for "appropriate" and "sensible" expertise, as opposed to "contrary" and "maverick" - or of those with some axe to grind due to their political ideology.

Ah I see. So if someone presents an argument agreeing with you then that is "sensible"?

And if someone presents an argument disagreeing with you, then that is "maverick"?

How perfectly convenient! I envy anyone who is so smugly comfortable that they are right 100% of the time.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 5th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Lootman wrote:Ah I see. So if someone presents an argument agreeing with you then that is "sensible"?

And if someone presents an argument disagreeing with you, then that is "maverick"?

How perfectly convenient! I envy anyone who is so smugly comfortable that they are right 100% of the time.

Sigh... Another miss I'm afraid.

Anyone who is likely to understand the point I am making should, IMO(!), have understood my point by now. Anyone who hasn't understood the point I am making by now is, IMO(!), unlikely to understand it with more explanation. My guess - they don't want to understand it! So probably time to give up here? Not for the first time. :!:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 10:40 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Ah I see. So if someone presents an argument agreeing with you then that is "sensible"?

Sigh... Another miss I'm afraid.

Probably time to give up here? Not for the first time. :!:

I was not suggesting that you give up here. Only that you give up on the "anyone who disagrees with me is a maverick" shtick.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » May 5th, 2021, 10:48 pm

Lootman wrote:I was not suggesting that you give up here. Only that you give up on the "anyone who disagrees with me is a maverick" shtick.

The answer to that is so obvious I don't need to make it! So I won't. ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2021, 10:55 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:I was not suggesting that you give up here. Only that you give up on the "anyone who disagrees with me is a maverick" shtick.

The answer to that is so obvious I don't need to make it! So I won't. ;)

It is the same "obvious" argument you always make: "I am right and anyone who disagrees is not sensible".

This is like debating with a seven year old.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » May 6th, 2021, 1:07 am

What a head-scratchingly bizarre way for people to spend much of their afternoon and evening.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » May 6th, 2021, 4:04 am

Lootman wrote:
9873210 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Well, the official Covid death count yesterday was 1 (one)!

Probably about the same as the number who died from being gored by a wild animal.

I don't know where you are getting your data from but https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths does not support your statement. You'd have to wait another four days before yesterday's death become available.

"On Tuesday, the UK reported four Covid deaths within 28 days of a positive test. On Monday it was only one."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... r-optimism

I was not aware that the Guardian is an official source of information, is it part of the NHS or the Ministry of Truth?

In any case yesterday the Guardian reported 27 deaths, a daily increase of 420%. At this rate the entire population of the UK will be dead within 11 days.

This is not cause for panic, but it is a demonstration that people highlighting a single datum are cherry picking.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 8th, 2021, 4:38 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:So our covid incidence has approximately doubled since mid-April, with every individual area of Devon except Torbay out of the healthy lemon-yellow. Other English counties that had joined us at low levels are also up: our neighbours Cornwall and Dorset, west-of-England Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and outlier East Sussex, all lost our yellow status on the map. Newcomer Cumbria is today the most significant English population in yellow ahead of fellow-newcomer West Cheshire (I'm reluctant to count part-counties here, but it appears to be a significant area).

Meanwhile most of Wales, including now some of their significant population centres and poorer regions in the Valleys, is knocking the spots off us. What are they doing right?

And just to maintain the record again, while Devon's big cities have fallen from grace, today's map shows them surpassed by some much bigger centres of population. Indeed, two of Blighty's biggest cities. How long will Liverpool and Bristol keep it up (or should that be down?)

Wales is still knocking the spots off us.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2021, 5:19 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:So our covid incidence has approximately doubled since mid-April, with every individual area of Devon except Torbay out of the healthy lemon-yellow. Other English counties that had joined us at low levels are also up: our neighbours Cornwall and Dorset, west-of-England Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire, and outlier East Sussex, all lost our yellow status on the map. Newcomer Cumbria is today the most significant English population in yellow ahead of fellow-newcomer West Cheshire (I'm reluctant to count part-counties here, but it appears to be a significant area).

Meanwhile most of Wales, including now some of their significant population centres and poorer regions in the Valleys, is knocking the spots off us. What are they doing right?

And just to maintain the record again, while Devon's big cities have fallen from grace, today's map shows them surpassed by some much bigger centres of population. Indeed, two of Blighty's biggest cities. How long will Liverpool and Bristol keep it up (or should that be down?)

Wales is still knocking the spots off us.

And today, Kent becomes the biggest population yet - and the first population bigger than Devon - to turn yellow.
With other places headed by Bolton going a long way in the opposite direction, England is bifurcating! Meanwhile Wales still looks well ahead.

Though we also see neither Bristol nor Liverpool could keep it up (or down).

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”