Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Fool me once....

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Re: Fool me once....

Postby murraypaul » June 21st, 2021, 6:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Here's a Telegraph article highlighting this important information -

So far there have been just 42 deaths from the delta variant, and only 12 in fully vaccinated people.

NHS leaders have previously said those dying after being fully vaccinated are also suffering from "profound co-morbidities".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/11/fully-vaccinated-people-account-5pc-delta-variant-infections/

By the numbers, people >= 14 days post second dose make up: (all numbers from 1st Feb to 14th June)

6.7% of all delta cases
8.0% of all delta cases with an A&E visit
8.2% of all delta cases where an A&E visit resulted in hospitalisation
35.6% of all delta deaths (26 of 73)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ing_16.pdf, page 12.

Incidentally, the variant naming is up to Lambda now. (Not all categorised as variant of concern.)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 21st, 2021, 6:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
One of them, possibly. Two even? Perhaps.

But all 42 seems highly unlikely.

And what about the thousands who may have died of Covid on day 29?

Co-morbidities have been a constant factor for poor COVID outcomes throughout this pandemic, and I think it's important to remember that many of those that aren't pulling through with this Delta variant, even where they've had two vaccine applications, will also have been suffering from difficult underlying health issues.

Here's a Telegraph article highlighting this important information -

So far there have been just 42 deaths from the delta variant, and only 12 in fully vaccinated people.

NHS leaders have previously said those dying after being fully vaccinated are also suffering from "profound co-morbidities".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/11/fully-vaccinated-people-account-5pc-delta-variant-infections/

The "co" bit in co-morbidity rather confirms that Covid was partly to blame, don'tcher think? Or does it mean something else?

It means that broadly, if you've been double-vaccinated and don't harbour any high-risk underlying health conditions, then you've got a good chance of not dying from COVID even if you get it...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 21st, 2021, 6:17 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

One of them, possibly. Two even? Perhaps.

But all 42 seems highly unlikely.

And what about the thousands who may have died of Covid on day 29?

Co-morbidities have been a constant factor for poor COVID outcomes throughout this pandemic, and I think it's important to remember that many of those that aren't pulling through with this Delta variant, even where they've had two vaccine applications, will also have been suffering from difficult underlying health issues.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

The "co" bit in co-morbidity rather confirms that Covid was partly to blame, don'tcher think? Or does it mean something else?

I expect flu is a common co-morbidity in the seriously ill. So why don't we lock down because of flu?

OK, it's because covid had the real danger of running out of control. But is that still the case?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 21st, 2021, 6:18 pm

murraypaul wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

By the numbers, people >= 14 days post second dose make up: (all numbers from 1st Feb to 14th June)

6.7% of all delta cases
8.0% of all delta cases with an A&E visit
8.2% of all delta cases where an A&E visit resulted in hospitalisation
35.6% of all delta deaths (26 of 73)

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ing_16.pdf, page 12.

Thanks - which feel quite encouraging except for the delta-deaths figures, but again, even that info isn't as clear as it might be if it were to include co-morbidity data, which I do think is very influential on the deaths side of things...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » June 21st, 2021, 6:43 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Thanks - which feel quite encouraging...

Yes, I think so.
While slightly less effective than against the original virus, the vaccines are still very capable of reducing infection rates, and making the infections that do occur less serious.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 21st, 2021, 6:43 pm

Mike4 wrote:[he "co" bit in co-morbidity rather confirms that Covid was partly to blame, don'tcher think? Or does it mean something else?

It means that they were also suffering from one or more conditions other than Covid.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » June 21st, 2021, 6:49 pm

MrFoolish wrote:My impression has always been that covid predominantly finishes off those who didn't have long anyway*.

Results
In total, 20,507,518 years of life have been lost to COVID-19 among the studied 81 countries, due to 1,279,866 deaths from the disease. The average years of life lost per death is 16 years.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-83040-3

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » June 21st, 2021, 7:14 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:My impression has always been that covid predominantly finishes off those who didn't have long anyway*.

Results
In total, 20,507,518 years of life have been lost to COVID-19 among the studied 81 countries, due to 1,279,866 deaths from the disease. The average years of life lost per death is 16 years.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-83040-3

OK, thanks. Must admit I'm surprised the number is that high.

(I do remain vaguely skeptical though. I remember hearing that air pollution knocked decades off life expectancy, only to hear the methodology rubbished some time later.)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”