Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Testing at home

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Testing at home

Postby Arizona11 » October 27th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Regarding the daily stats on the government website, if one tests oneself at home, how do you report the result so it goes into the daily stats?

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Testing at home

Postby jfgw » October 27th, 2021, 2:24 pm

All NHS lateral flow tests are meant to be reported. The easiest for most people is to do it online here,

https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result

Julian F. G. W.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » October 27th, 2021, 2:26 pm

You do what it tells you in the instructions. You go to the link given and report, using the QR code or the number on your test strip to identify it.

You have read the instructions, I take it?

You will get a message back by text and/or email confirming that your test has been recorded.

NHS COVID-19 Notification: Dear TJH

Your coronavirus lateral flow test result is negative. It's likely you are not infectious. But a negative test is not a guarantee, and there's still a chance you may be infectious.

Keep following coronavirus advice including:
- regular handwashing
- social distancing
- wearing a face covering where recommended

If you've been traced as a contact of someone who tested positive, you may need to self-isolate.

Find out at https://www.nhs.uk/coronavirus and read 'Self-isolation and treating symptoms'.

TJH

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 27th, 2021, 2:42 pm

jfgw wrote:All NHS lateral flow tests are meant to be reported. The easiest for most people is to do it online here,

Julian F. G. W.

I gather that it is estimated that only about 14% of tests have been reported.

DAK why negative tests should be reported?

I don't call my doctor each morning to let them know I'm feeling fine.

Watis

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 27th, 2021, 2:54 pm

Arizona11 wrote:Regarding the daily stats on the government website, if one tests oneself at home, how do you report the result so it goes into the daily stats?

Only England counts home tests so if you're elsewhere in the UK it won't work.

Probably the most convenient way is via the NHS Covid-19 app on your phone rather than the website.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 27th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Watis wrote:
jfgw wrote:All NHS lateral flow tests are meant to be reported. The easiest for most people is to do it online here,

Julian F. G. W.

I gather that it is estimated that only about 14% of tests have been reported.

DAK why negative tests should be reported?

I don't call my doctor each morning to let them know I'm feeling fine.

Watis

So you get an accurate % of positive tests out of all tests taken. The test positivity is one of the figures that the statisticians/epidemiologists are supposed to be using to decide if the pandemic is under control (or not). If you don't record all the negative tests then that artificially exaggerates the test positivity rate. IIRC the WHO say the pandemic is under control in a country if the rate of positive tests is under 2%. The seven day test positivity rate is 9% in Scotland at the moment.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 27th, 2021, 6:02 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
Arizona11 wrote:Regarding the daily stats on the government website, if one tests oneself at home, how do you report the result so it goes into the daily stats?

Probably the most convenient way is via the NHS Covid-19 app on your phone rather than the website.

As far as I can see you can't report a rapid LFT test result via the app - it's only to report results that are sent to you by phone/text. There is a link in the app to the webpage.

It is however (IMHO) easier to report it on the webpage on your phone than to use a computer as you can scan the barcode with the phone rather than typing the code in twice.

It does appear that most people don't understand the value of reporting results or prefer to keep them to themselves for a range of reasons. I've reported roughly two tests a week since January - it seems I'm in a small minority.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 27th, 2021, 7:14 pm

chas49 wrote:As far as I can see you can't report a rapid LFT test result via the app - it's only to report results that are sent to you by phone/text. There is a link in the app to the webpage.

It is however (IMHO) easier to report it on the webpage on your phone than to use a computer as you can scan the barcode with the phone rather than typing the code in twice.

It does appear that most people don't understand the value of reporting results

Apologies, I think you're right - I could have sworn that there was a way to do it on the app.

An example of why it's important to report negatives is the recent problems at Immensa - their positivity rate collapsed very suddenly in September, and the klaxons should have been sounding within a day or two that there was an issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ield-tests

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 27th, 2021, 9:23 pm

chas49 wrote:It is however (IMHO) easier to report it on the webpage on your phone than to use a computer as you can scan the barcode with the phone rather than typing the code in twice.

I forgot about that, probably because my phone doesn't focus close enough so it doesn't work for me. DAK if it works with a camera on a computer?

chas49 wrote:It does appear that most people don't understand the value of reporting results or prefer to keep them to themselves for a range of reasons. I've reported roughly two tests a week since January - it seems I'm in a small minority.

I have reported all of mine. The instructions are clear enough—the test has not been completed until the result has been reported.

Julian F. G. W.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 27th, 2021, 10:36 pm

jfgw wrote:I forgot about that, probably because my phone doesn't focus close enough so it doesn't work for me. DAK if it works with a camera on a computer?

It appears there are apps in the Microsof Store which will read QR codes using your laptop camera. No idea how good they are - and they are third party so you'll have to decide if you trust them. (heading a little OT here)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » October 27th, 2021, 11:50 pm

jfgw wrote:
chas49 wrote:It is however (IMHO) easier to report it on the webpage on your phone than to use a computer as you can scan the barcode with the phone rather than typing the code in twice.

I forgot about that, probably because my phone doesn't focus close enough so it doesn't work for me. DAK if it works with a camera on a computer?

After pandemic restrictions stopping me and pretty much everyone I know from catching even a single cold over the last 18 months I’ve just broken my no-cold streak so, to be sure it is a cold, I just did my first ever covid test a couple of hours ago using one of the free lateral flow tests that I have had for a while. I reported the result using my iPad and going to the web address given in the instructions. I initially had problems because my iPad’s camera wouldn’t focus at close distances but after a minute of faffing around I discovered that it can still scan the barcode even with the lens a good 30 or 40cm away where the entire results stick and a lot of space around it is in the shot although I did make sure that the test result thingy was lying on a white background. At least for me there was no need to try and get close enough so that only the QR code was in frame so it might be worth giving it a go with your phone anyway and just back the phone away until you get sharp focus; that worked for me.

- Julian (COVID-19 negative!)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 28th, 2021, 12:20 am

I will give it a go with a white background and report back. Holding the 'phone further back didn't work when I tried it before.

Julian F. G. W.

Always been Covid negative so far.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 28th, 2021, 8:52 am

Hallucigenia wrote:

I live in Scotland and we've reported dozens of lateral flow tests via the website quite successfully. In fact the Scottish Government has actively encouraged everyone to do 2 a week and have repeated that message again quite recently.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » October 28th, 2021, 9:31 am

jfgw wrote:
I forgot about that, probably because my phone doesn't focus close enough so it doesn't work for me. DAK if it works with a camera on a computer

Julian F. G. W.

I've done quite a few lateral flow tests. For the old style ones (swab back of the throat and one nostril) I was able to use my laptop camera to scan the QR code. I've now done a couple of the new style ones (no throat swab and swab both nostrils), but haven't been able to scan the QR code. If I do another I'll try holding it further away. I've haven't done many recently as I had Covid in July, but that immunitity may be wearing off now I guess - I'm not due a boster jab until December. (Yep, I got Covid about a month after my second jab, which is, I understand when immunitity should be at its highest).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 28th, 2021, 10:40 am

Gersemi wrote:Yep, I got Covid about a month after my second jab, which is, I understand when immunitity should be at its highest

Indeed!

Your immunity from the vaccine probably was at its highest; you might be particularly susceptible?! Or got exposed to a particularly heavy dose?! Or were a "bit run down" for some other reason?!

You'll (hopefully/probably) never know - but you can be sure, beyond any reasonable doubt, that it would have been much more likely to have been worse it you hadn't had your jabs

Stay well
-sd

Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Postby Arizona11 » October 28th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting.

I should say that I was asking simply out of interest as I have no intention of opening myself up to infection as things stand so am unlikely to need any testing. I check the stats each day because I seem to be amongst a diminishing number of people who still acknowledge that there actually is a pandemic, unlike the government and, it seems, most of the general public.

I want to go back to a more normal life and judge how much I wish to do based on the threat level. 40-50k each day is not very good and people like me have been effectively fed to the lions since July, when all restrictions were lifted. When you lift all restrictions then it is a self fulfilling prophecy that the figures go up, so no real surprise.

I believe that there is a compromise between lock downs (which I do not want back again) and absolutely nothing. Until the numbers go down substantially, I don’t think it is too much to ask for masks to be reintroduced for inside buildings and shops. It doesn’t seem fair to those who don’t want to get ill at all, that we have no protection whatsoever. Apparently, people like me who actually care about my fellow man, are of no interest to most people. It doesn’t give one much in the way of hope, which many people need to stay sane.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 28th, 2021, 6:33 pm

jfgw wrote:I will give it a go with a white background and report back. Holding the 'phone further back didn't work when I tried it before.

I have just successfully scanned the QR code. I placed the cassette (ACON Flowflex) onto a sheet of white paper as suggested by Julian and it worked.

Julian F. G. W.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 29th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Arizona11 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting.

I should say that I was asking simply out of interest as I have no intention of opening myself up to infection as things stand so am unlikely to need any testing. I check the stats each day because I seem to be amongst a diminishing number of people who still acknowledge that there actually is a pandemic, unlike the government and, it seems, most of the general public.

I want to go back to a more normal life and judge how much I wish to do based on the threat level. 40-50k each day is not very good and people like me have been effectively fed to the lions since July, when all restrictions were lifted. When you lift all restrictions then it is a self fulfilling prophecy that the figures go up, so no real surprise.

I believe that there is a compromise between lock downs (which I do not want back again) and absolutely nothing. Until the numbers go down substantially, I don’t think it is too much to ask for masks to be reintroduced for inside buildings and shops. It doesn’t seem fair to those who don’t want to get ill at all, that we have no protection whatsoever. Apparently, people like me who actually care about my fellow man, are of no interest to most people. It doesn’t give one much in the way of hope, which many people need to stay sane.

Of course you are only talking about Englandshire. The other devolved countries have more sensible restrictions such as mask requirements, covid passports etc.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 29th, 2021, 1:51 pm

Arizona11 wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting.

According to the ONS data about 1.3 million people currently have covid in the UK, so possibly a larger threat than the official government reported daily cases would suggest

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... infections

I am with you on the general threat level still being too high for me to go back to completely normal life. I am due a booster shot on Nov 13th and will wait until after that shot to have my hair cut, even though my wife is complaining every day about it! Sitting in close proximity to a barber for half an hour in a possibly poorly ventilated space where several infected school children may just have had a hair cut is not a risk I wish to take at present. Perhaps two weeks after my booster, if the local cases have subsided (locally we are currently among the highest in the UK) I may have a short back and sides!

John

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”