Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2022, 4:22 pm

ayshfm1 wrote:I've always felt it was engineered rather than natural. We'll never know, but in every previous case we've been able to get back to the natural source. Not with this one the trail just goes cold. Inability to find something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however they've moved heaven and earth and got nowhere.

I also forgot to say, Omicron provides immunity to Omicron, it cancels itself out after it's done it's job.

Are you saying that you can't get Omicron more than once? If so, could you please provide a link to evidence.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 18th, 2022, 7:08 pm

Lootman wrote:
look wrote:there's a study about the attack of the covid virus on the brain and the reduction of potassium in blood and consequences.

there is a sinopsis in portuguese and a link to the article in english just below. I think translate the portuguese will be more useful than read all the article in english, but you can think different.

https://comunica.ufu.br/noticia/2021/03 ... reducao-de

based on the article, it seems that covid victims should need more potassium.

So more bananas then?

And garlic. And vitamin D. And . .

i will telll why i searched about potassium.
I read other poster writing about encephalitis. Then i remember that i watch (in the past) in youtube a woman that get rid of a terrible sickness that is often confunded with alzheimer, she cured it with potatoes because they have potassium. Perhaps the sickness was encephalitis, i am not sure.
By the search, i discovered the relation with covid.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2022, 7:26 pm

look wrote:
Lootman wrote:
look wrote:there's a study about the attack of the covid virus on the brain and the reduction of potassium in blood and consequences.

there is a sinopsis in portuguese and a link to the article in english just below. I think translate the portuguese will be more useful than read all the article in english, but you can think different.

https://comunica.ufu.br/noticia/2021/03 ... reducao-de

based on the article, it seems that covid victims should need more potassium.

So more bananas then?

And garlic. And vitamin D. And . .

i will telll why i searched about potassium.
I read other poster writing about encephalitis. Then i remember that i watch (in the past) in youtube a woman that get rid of a terrible sickness that is often confunded with alzheimer, she cured it with potatoes because they have potassium. Perhaps the sickness was encephalitis, i am not sure.
By the search, i discovered the relation with covid.

A bit difficult feeding bananas or potatoes to someone who is in hospital, delirious, on a drip and tube fed. Suggest you leave it, Look.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 18th, 2022, 8:42 pm

Bouleversee wrote:A bit difficult feeding bananas or potatoes to someone who is in hospital, delirious, on a drip and tube fed. Suggest you leave it, Look.

Ringer's solution and Hartmann's solution both contain potassium. Potassium chloride can be added to an IV drip.

Garlic is not mentioned in the BNF but has been tested on trees.

Julian F. G. W.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 18th, 2022, 9:46 pm

jfgw wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:A bit difficult feeding bananas or potatoes to someone who is in hospital, delirious, on a drip and tube fed. Suggest you leave it, Look.

Ringer's solution and Hartmann's solution both contain potassium. Potassium chloride can be added to an IV drip.

Garlic is not mentioned in the BNF but has been tested on trees.

Julian F. G. W.

Thank you, Julian. Let's hope my sister's doctors know that and are doing their stuff then, though I fear it will be far too late in her case and I wouldn't put money on it. Apologies to Look for my abrupt response; I am feeling rather raw a.t.m. Thank you for bringing this shortage to our notice, though I am sure that in my sister's case she ate plenty of bananas and potatoes before being admitted to hospital and stopped eating and drinking.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2022, 5:44 pm

Further to my posts earlier in this thread about the length of time a Covid infection shows in a PCR test, a friend has just drawn my attention to the following announcement on the NHS website: DHSC- Changes to LFD 90 Day Guidance and Outbreak Testing (18-02-21).pdf

If I understand this correctly, this means that if my sister had contracted Omicron up to 90 days ago (and displayed symptoms which were not recognised so not tested then, or perhaps only had an LFT) it could still show in the result of a PCR test taken a few days ago and would not necessarily indicate a new infection. Or am I misunderstanding?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 19th, 2022, 7:43 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Further to my posts earlier in this thread about the length of time a Covid infection shows in a PCR test, a friend has just drawn my attention to the following announcement on the NHS website: DHSC- Changes to LFD 90 Day Guidance and Outbreak Testing (18-02-21).pdf

If I understand this correctly, this means that if my sister had contracted Omicron up to 90 days ago (and displayed symptoms which were not recognised so not tested then, or perhaps only had an LFT) it could still show in the result of a PCR test taken a few days ago and would not necessarily indicate a new infection. Or am I misunderstanding?

That is correct, as I said earlier the PCR test can pick up genetic material from many weeks previously that may not mean a new infection.

That paper also includes lateral flow devices in that advice although my understanding is that a LFD would be less likely to show a false positive from a many weeks old previous infection.

John

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 19th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Thanks, John. I was just trying to pin the time down a bit more and it is within 90 days that she first complained of quite bad symptoms. It is probably too late to save her now, but maybe some feedback might benefit other people in future. There is still much to learn as regards this ever-changing virus and I think the NHS is, understandably, somewhat out of its depth.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 20th, 2022, 10:24 am

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, John. I was just trying to pin the time down a bit more and it is within 90 days that she first complained of quite bad symptoms. It is probably too late to save her now, but maybe some feedback might benefit other people in future. There is still much to learn as regards this ever-changing virus and I think the NHS is, understandably, somewhat out of its depth.

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister. I hope something can be done to help her.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 20th, 2022, 11:10 am

The latest Zoe report which gives a good up to date summary of cases and hospitalisations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtFqew1Tic

John

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 20th, 2022, 6:51 pm

I noticed the BBC News at 6, when reporting the Deaths figure, has recently started qualifying it with "though there will be some amongst this number who won't have died from Covid" (their emphasis). No further explanation.

I wonder why they've started doing that?

Of course they could also qualify it with "though there will be people who have died from Covid who aren't included in this number".

I wonder why they don't mention that?

Scott.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 20th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Scott -

Yes, I noticed that as well. I expect it's because in some cases they don't know why because they haven't the capacity to do tests before or post mortems after.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 20th, 2022, 7:10 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Yes, I noticed that as well. I expect it's because in some cases they don't know why because they haven't the capacity to do tests before or post mortems after.

It's not really that, because it's always been the case, nothing's changed.

You get knocked down by a bus within 28 days of a first positive Covid test in England - you're in the numbers.

You get reinfected with Covid for a second or subsequent time in England and die of Covid - you're not in the numbers.

Scott.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 20th, 2022, 8:14 pm

swill453 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Yes, I noticed that as well. I expect it's because in some cases they don't know why because they haven't the capacity to do tests before or post mortems after.

It's not really that, because it's always been the case, nothing's changed.

You get knocked down by a bus within 28 days of a first positive Covid test in England - you're in the numbers.

You get reinfected with Covid for a second or subsequent time in England and die of Covid - you're not in the numbers.

Scott.

Yes, that is idiotic if it happens.. I know lots of fully vaccinated people who have been reinfected but none has been seriously ill let alone died. I would love to know the numbers in both cases.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » January 20th, 2022, 8:27 pm

swill453 wrote:I noticed the BBC News at 6, when reporting the Deaths figure, has recently started qualifying it with "though there will be some amongst this number who won't have died from Covid" (their emphasis). No further explanation.

Of course they could also qualify it with "though there will be people who have died from Covid who aren't included in this number".

Scott.

I suspect because O is highly transmissible yet typically less fatal, plus unlike earlier waves, most in danger are now double-jabbed and boosted. Hence many in hosptital likely have it, but many of these do not die from it, in contast to earlier waves?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 20th, 2022, 10:49 pm

NotSure wrote:
I suspect because O is highly transmissible yet typically less fatal, plus unlike earlier waves, most in danger are now double-jabbed and boosted. Hence many in hosptital likely have it, but many of these do not die from it, in contast to earlier waves?

Point of order.

It is "o", not "O". Omicron means little o, Omega means big O.

TJH

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 20th, 2022, 11:21 pm

swill453 wrote:I noticed the BBC News at 6, when reporting the Deaths figure, has recently started qualifying it with "though there will be some amongst this number who won't have died from Covid" (their emphasis). No further explanation.

Scott.

The new qualifier is because Omicron is so widespread, there is now a greater percentage of hospital admissions who are admitted for non-Covid reasons, but who test positive for Covid. If having Covid doesn't affect their chances of dying, it's probably overstating deaths from Covid.
However, it seems that any health condition becomes more serious if you've got Covid.

In any case, I thought the Covid daily deaths had always been reported as 'with Covid'.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 20th, 2022, 11:41 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
NotSure wrote:

Point of order.

TJH

Second point of order - omicron is a short o (as in "hot"), omega is a long o (as in "go").

But you can have eg a little omega ω and a capital omega, Ω

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 20th, 2022, 11:45 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
NotSure wrote:

Point of order.

TJH

Second point of order - omicron is a short o (as in "hot"), omega is a long o (as in "go").

But you can have eg a little omega ω and a capital omega, Ω

And for omicron
Ο ALT + 927 uppercase
ο ALT + 959 lowercase
- which may or may not look any different from O & o depending on system and aren't as useful as Omega (which is the norm for both rotational frequency and resistance)
- sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 20th, 2022, 11:49 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
NotSure wrote:

Point of order.

But isn't it little as in phonetic short 'o', as opposed to big as in long 'o'? Both of them have upper case and lower case versions.

Scott.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”