Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Julian » April 12th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:You are "just starting" to go into shops again?

Seriously?

The only place I see people wearing masks now is on crowded tube trains, and even then most do not.

I always imagine the occasional person wearing a mask has some ghastly disease and is wearing the mask as a courtesy to people nearby. So I steer well clear of them.

The other possibility is that the person wearing the mask is immunocompromised in some way (chemo, transplant, some other auto-immune condition etc). Your reaction is still valid in that case though, albeit for the mask-wearer's benefit rather than yours.

I confess that it is sufficiently rare to see people wearing a mask now that when I do see it my instinctive reaction (that does me no credit) is to think it slightly odd but then my reasoning kicks in a fraction of a second later and I remind myself that there are a number of good reasons for someone to really need to still wear a mask.

- Julian

P.S. Loved the meme about the plague.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 25th, 2024, 11:17 am

Yesterday both of us received the Spring Booster vaccination for those over 75. I have a sore arm if I lift it above my shoulder. From past experience this should disappear in a couple of days. The vaccine was Spikevax XBB.1.5 - which I was told was the same as that used for the Autumn vaccination. (Previously called Moderna)
We also had mild Covid infections before Christmas (possible source? - workmen in and about the house for several weeks)
The vaccination centre is not particularly easy to get to (two bus journeys for a few miles ) - however we are still driving, so it is not a problem. I wonder how many oldies are put off by this journey.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 25th, 2024, 11:37 am

I also had my booster (Spikevax) yesterday early morning. Initially little side effects but since last night very painful arm with headache and muscular pains. I do not remember having such a painful reaction previously - maybe memory loss given over 75.

T7

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » April 25th, 2024, 1:02 pm

I’m not eligible for the booster (approaching 75, other health conditions but nothing dramatic) having checked with both the GP and the vaccination centre.

I’ve decided to have the vaccination privately - £65 - at a local pharmacy. Booked for Saturday.

Best wishes,

Steve

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 25th, 2024, 2:45 pm

scotia wrote:Yesterday both of us received the Spring Booster vaccination for those over 75. I have a sore arm if I lift it above my shoulder. From past experience this should disappear in a couple of days. The vaccine was Spikevax XBB.1.5 - which I was told was the same as that used for the Autumn vaccination. (Previously called Moderna)
We also had mild Covid infections before Christmas (possible source? - workmen in and about the house for several weeks)
The vaccination centre is not particularly easy to get to (two bus journeys for a few miles ) - however we are still driving, so it is not a problem. I wonder how many oldies are put off by this journey.

Community Transport may be the solution for them. Ours is 6 miles away and the bus would involve a half mile walk from home. Closer near the centre. I shall drive, but for someone less mobile without their own transport, our Community Transport will do door to door at a small cost. (Disclosure - I'm a Trustee of our local Community Transport CIC).

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 26th, 2024, 10:00 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
scotia wrote:Yesterday both of us received the Spring Booster vaccination for those over 75. I have a sore arm if I lift it above my shoulder. From past experience this should disappear in a couple of days. The vaccine was Spikevax XBB.1.5 - which I was told was the same as that used for the Autumn vaccination. (Previously called Moderna)

Community Transport may be the solution for them. Ours is 6 miles away and the bus would involve a half mile walk from home. Closer near the centre. I shall drive, but for someone less mobile without their own transport, our Community Transport will do door to door at a small cost. (Disclosure - I'm a Trustee of our local Community Transport CIC).

TJH

Interesting - currently we are both driving, so we are not aware of such Community Transport Schemes. We should check this out for possible future needs. Although I fear such a scheme would not take me up a dirt road and through a ford to the fishing loch. But if I got there, we have a boat for accompanied wheelchair anglers :)

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » Today, 4:32 pm

A first for everything! I’ve just tested positive for Covid. Seems pretty mild so far. I was (privately) vaccinated with the Novavax booster two weeks ago.
I’m hopeful that the vaccine booster will have primed the immune system to make short shrift of this.

Best wishes, Steve

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”