Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Julian » July 21st, 2022, 11:15 am

pje16 wrote:
pje16 wrote:Tonight on BBC2 @9pm
Unvaccinated
Professor Hannah Fry asks why eight per cent of the UK population remain unprotected in this timely survey. She brings together seven people who have not received the vaccine with scientists, to dissect the role of social media and analyse medical statistics

worth catching on iPlayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... vaccinated
if only to see how much soclal media is to blame
I would say more but I got told off yesterday for criticising views of others which are daft in my view
but watch this and I suspect you will be critical of some of them

Maybe I should have another go at watching this. I caught the first 5 minutes when it aired last night but some of the participants were annoying me so much that I had to change channels before I got too wound up. Maybe if I remove all loose objects from my living room I might be able to get to the end without throwing something at the TV.

In fairness I can understand some elements of vaccine hesitancy. If I am offered a 4th booster using exactly the same vaccines as have been in use so far, i.e. exposing me yet again to antigens derived from the original Wuhan-variant spike protein, I would want to see more data about benefits and possible concerns re such a booster strategy, but the stuff about 5G and tracking chips in the vaccine, beliefs that need such a profound ignorance of science and the current level of technology to believe, just drives me crazy. I can also understand why for some people adherence to lockdown regulations began to wane in later stages of the pandemic as restrictions were being relaxed prior to disappearing completely but the selfishness and arrogance of people who refused to comply with any regulations from day 1 because they felt they knew better and were convinced that it was all a hoax, based on no reputable evidence whatsoever ("none of my mates got it" doesn't count), also drives me crazy.

Anyway, I will make a second attempt to get through the program, maybe with a stiff drink in hand to calm me down a bit.

- Julian

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 21st, 2022, 11:18 am

Julian wrote:I caught the first 5 minutes when it aired last night but some of the participants were annoying me so much that I had to change channels before I got too wound up.
- Julian

I know JUST who who mean
the gobby dark haired one
she does calm down a bit
it could be worse..pity anyone who lives with her :lol:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 22nd, 2022, 7:45 am

servodude wrote:
pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote:Oh god, and they have the vote... Nevil Shute had the right idea.

V8

More to the point they can breed
and at the end you'll see that one did - (shock horror) :D

Shute had lots of ideas - some better than others
I particularly like "Round the Bend" and "On the Beach" (incidentally I finally found a decent bar in Williamstown recently ;) )

Moderator Message:
Tried to fix the quotes in your post servo but couldn't. Here's what I managed.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 22nd, 2022, 7:49 am

redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:
pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote:Oh god, and they have the vote... Nevil Shute had the right idea.

V8

More to the point they can breed
and at the end you'll see that one did - (shock horror) :D

Shute had lots of ideas - some better than others
I particularly like "Round the Bend" and "On the Beach" (incidentally I finally found a decent bar in Williamstown recently ;) )

Moderator Message:
Tried to fix the quotes in your post servo but couldn't. Here's what I managed.

Thanks John
I have no idea what was happening!

harris1939

Postby harris1939 » July 24th, 2022, 8:26 am

Unvaccinated
Professor Hannah Fry asks why eight per cent of the UK population remain unprotected in this timely survey. She brings together seven people who have not received the vaccine with scientists, to dissect the role of social media and analyse medical statistics

Did not see the program and have no intention of seeing it.

I am one who has refused to accept any of the covid vaccines and will not be in future. The reason is straight forward. I dont need it. I had already been infected with covid in 2020 by PCR test, not by my own suspicion. For me it was a mild cold with a slight cough. All dealt with during self isolation without fuss. I simply felt that I did not need to be vaccinated against something that I had already contracted which at worse was a mild cold. If I got infected again I see/saw no reason why I would not deal with it in exactly the same way.

Then came to relentless push for anything moving or breathing to be covid vaccinated, whether previously infected or not, whether low risk or not, and anyone refusing to accept it being portrayed as some sort of social pariah or granny killer. I then began to wonder why the government was using this type of messaging to get everything vaccinated. I will put to one side the initial false claim that the vaccine prevented infection or reinfection. Natural or acquired immunity was rubbished.

Then came Boris Johnsons line during one of his December 2021 TV addresses: "We are going to have to have a national conversation about the vaccines................" A not very veiled threat to mandate the covid vaccines for everyone, not just health care workers. The threat got him nowhere of course. Had he persued that idea he may well have lost the confidence of this own MPs well before he eventually did. He then tried to get vaccine passports (not the same as covid passports) through parliament. That failed as well.

All of this, collectively, made me more determined than ever to not accept a vaccine I did/do not need which seems to last only a few months at best and does not prevent infection. Given my lifestyle and the continued prevelance of covid I must have being exposed to covid multiple times since my first infection. I have had very mild colds since then but according to the lateral flow tests it was not covid. One thing I do now which I did not do before was to stay home if I have a cold, even a mild one. If the vaccine does as is now claimed and prevents serious illness thats fine for high risk individuals. I am clearly not. Simples.

Perhaps Hannah Fry deliberately chose people that would make an interesting television program or perhaps to continue to portray covid vaccine refuseniks as nut jobs. No problem. It wont make any difference to me. No scientist will persuade me otherwise.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 24th, 2022, 10:46 am

harris1939 wrote:

I am one who has refused to accept any of the covid vaccines and will not be in future. The reason is straight forward. I dont need it. I had No scientist will persuade me otherwise.

“Fortune favors the prepared mind.”

Louis Pasteur

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 24th, 2022, 10:57 am

servodude wrote:
pje16 wrote:
Unvaccinated

worth catching on iPlayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... vaccinated
if only to see how much soclal media is to blame
I would say more but I got told off yesterday for criticising views of others which are daft in my view
but watch this and I suspect you will be critical of some of them

well now we can add "getting on the TV" to the reasons why :(

from the leading pic I thought they looked like am-dram cast for a production of "Shameless"

Natural selection in action, or perhaps candidates for 'the Darwin Award' :D

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » July 24th, 2022, 11:02 am

harris1939 wrote:
Unvaccinated

I am one who has refused to accept any of the covid vaccines and will not be in future. The reason is straight forward. I dont need it. I had already been infected with covid in 2020 by PCR test, not by my own suspicion. For me it was a mild cold with a slight cough.

Our son (40) got covid at the beginning of the outbreak before vaccines or treatment improvements. A month on a ventilator then tracheotomy. He's still on elbow crutches.

My wife had you're attitude towards vaccination. I got her to speak to our son, three words "get vaccine mum". She got vaccinated.

You, my friend, were very, very lucky.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 24th, 2022, 11:05 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:
harris1939 wrote:

I am one who has refused to accept any of the covid vaccines and will not be in future. The reason is straight forward. I dont need it. I had No scientist will persuade me otherwise.

“Fortune favors the prepared mind.”

Louis Pasteur

I sympathize with Harris' thoughts on a (hypothetical) vaccine mandate and can fully understand why someone in that position would feel less compelled to have a vaccine.
I've not watched the show but I will try and look for it (I enjoy MsFry in her podcasts) but I can imagine that "I've had it" didn't make for interesting TV as a reason to avoid the vaccine.
I haven't though seen conflation of people in that position with the utter nutjobs the like of whom were claiming that there was a chip (that shared the schematic of the Boss HM-2 pedal) installed in the virus as part of a new world order take over; and to me they're the really interesting ones.
I can also see why different domains, often with different data tracking capabilities, had different perceptions on whether infection and vaccination were equivalent (not least because joined up data has been hard to come by)

harris1939

Postby harris1939 » July 24th, 2022, 4:21 pm

Snorvey wrote:The unvaccinated only have the freedoms they have today because of those that stood in line and did their duty.

A simple thank you would suffice.

Utter rubbish.

Thank you.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 24th, 2022, 4:24 pm

what a surprise post from an anti vaxxer :roll:

harris1939

Postby harris1939 » July 24th, 2022, 4:32 pm

pje16 wrote:what a surprise post from an anti vaxxer :roll:

Glad to oblige.

Thank you.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 24th, 2022, 6:03 pm

harris1939 wrote:
Snorvey wrote:The unvaccinated only have the freedoms they have today because of those that stood in line and did their duty.

Utter rubbish.

Thank you.

Your reasoning is impeccable.

harris1939

Postby harris1939 » July 24th, 2022, 7:15 pm

Mike4 wrote:
harris1939 wrote:

Utter rubbish.

Thank you.

I 100% agree with you.

Thanks.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 25th, 2022, 12:24 am

harris1939 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
harris1939 wrote:

Utter rubbish.

Thank you.

I 100% agree with you.

Thanks.

Crikey this went awry quite quickly.

Harris you started by making a point that you didn't feel you needed a vaccine because you'd had a confirmed case of the bug and you seemed to bristle at the suggestion that all covid refuseniks were portrayed as nut jobs
- those are understandable positions

However, the subseqent dismissal of the fact that the freedoms currently enjoyed are down to the majority of everyone else getting the vaccine is straying in to the territory of the nutjob. It was literally a major target in the decision making of the governments (around most of the globe)

With that type of confusion it becomes hard sometimes to tell if someone has a decent argument yet might have become distracted and waylaid by some noise, or whether motivated reasoning has driven them to find a semiplausiable reasoning for their nut jobbery
There's a lot of that around at the moment

-sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 25th, 2022, 11:44 am

harris1939 wrote:No scientist will persuade me otherwise.

What was that noise I just heard?

Oh I know! The sound of a mind slamming shut.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 25th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Mike4 wrote:
harris1939 wrote:No scientist will persuade me otherwise.

What was that noise I just heard?

Oh I know! The sound of a mind slamming shut.

AKA "A Rejectionist". (Well, known by me!)

viewtopic.php?p=516103#p516103

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 25th, 2022, 2:12 pm

XFool wrote:Hannah Fry tries to change the minds of seven Covid vaccine refuseniks in this documentary … and you’ll need a saint’s patience to tolerate some of the responses

I didn't need patience (but I know what you mean), more like something to hold my sides together
some of their views were staggeringly dumb, I couldn't stop laughing
eg there is a chip in the vaccine and when 5G gets switched on (errm it is already) it will kill those who have been vaccinated

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 25th, 2022, 3:18 pm

pje16 wrote:
XFool wrote:Hannah Fry tries to change the minds of seven Covid vaccine refuseniks in this documentary … and you’ll need a saint’s patience to tolerate some of the responses

I didn't need patience (but I know what you mean), more like something to hold my sides together
some of their views were staggeringly dumb, I couldn't stop laughing
eg there is a chip in the vaccine and when 5G gets switched on (errm it is already) it will kill those who have been vaccinated

That's one of my favourites!

Made even better by the publishing of the schematic for the chip: https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a35122832/5g-conspiracy-chip-covid-19-vaccine-guitar-pedal/
Just noticed it's the Boss MT-2 (Metal Zone) whereas I think I said it was the HM-2 (the Heavy Metal its the precursor) in an earlier post so I apologise

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 25th, 2022, 3:25 pm

servodude wrote:

I am lost for words...
how dumb do you have to be to fall for this drivel :)
Last edited by pje16 on July 25th, 2022, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”