Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Newroad » January 17th, 2021, 9:48 pm

Hi GS.

Thanks for clarifying - I hope it gets better for you on all fronts!

For us, no recurrence for my wife and eldest (as you recall, the youngest never displayed any symptoms). For me, I don't think there has been a recurrence, but to elaborate ...

... recovered a week or so before Christmas, started my (usually) daily bike ride a few days after. Smell and taste back to normal now - coffee was one of the slowest things to return to a normal taste (at least, that's what I think it now is)! No issues with breathlessness (except general unfitness) since recovery.

Then, last week, from Monday, I started developing a dull headache late in the day - which I put down to tiredness (late Sunday night) and eye strain from work. However, from late Wednesday, I started running a temperature, so needed Panadol twice a day for a couple of days to get through it - fine again now. However, not the same symptoms as I had with Covid-19, nor that severe, e.g. I kept working. That said, I haven't had much opportunity to pick up something else - we've all stayed home except my own brief shopping missions once (occasionally twice) a week - and exercise on our own or with another of the four of us.

So, either it's my form of Long Covid, or a lesser different virus. I favour the latter explanation, but can't be sure.

Regards, Newroad

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2021, 9:52 pm

Bouleversee wrote:U
GoSeigen wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Which illustrates a point rarely made here in the UK. Having the vaccine kicks your immune system into action, which makes you feel ill. As the doctors never tell you this, it comers as a surprise.

I've heard people say they have stopped having the flu vaccine because they feel ill and they fear it is giving them flu rather than protecting them.

One of our staff has a 6 month old baby. A couple of weeks ago he got one of those D&V bugs and was taken into the hospital listless and dehydrated. "Oh he's due his next vaccination" said the duty nurse and duly gave him his jabs. Next thing the poor child is in ICU and practically died! His mother was understandably quite distraught. Then this week she got arrested and fined for not wearing a mask in public. Poor woman...

GS

Presumably not the Covid vaccine? I don't think that is being offered to young children. I'm surprised that a sick baby would be offered any vaccine, however. I was asked lots of questions about my state of health before being given my jab.

No just the usual inoculations. I suspect it was an inexperienced nurse just trying to be helpful by saving the mother an extra trip to the hospital/clinic. As I said up there ^, we're not in the UK and nurse training is perhaps not quite at rich-country standards...

GS

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 17th, 2021, 9:53 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Newroad wrote:Sorry to hear about the nurse who attended you, GS.

I can imagine that being both very sad and disconcerting :(

I recall you caught it a little after me in December. When you say well on the road to recovery now in mid January, does that reflect a long core illness or a long recovery period, if you don't mind me asking?

Also curious about getting the testing in a hospital - out our way, it's in purpose built (but makeshift) car parks etc?

Regards, Newroad

Mike4: taste and smell back to normal now as far as I can tell. The last food that still tasted odd was tea which is very annoying because I love a good cup of tea.

Newroad: I'm in a different country. The lady was a good customer of ours as well as a nurse so doubly sad. We happen to be in one of the hotspots here and hearing of many cases. Re: recovery, early this week I walked up a hill about 200m ascent and really struggled getting breath, almost passed out either from the effort or something else going on. This is really unusual for me -- I'm a keen hiker and manage 500m+ of ascent no problem even when unfit. This morning climbed about 250m and did pretty well so much better in just a few days. Also haven't noticed much of a cough for a couple of days. Maybe the earlier walk did me some good...

Do you still have any symptoms?

GS

Excellent news!!!!! Disaster about the tea though....

Breathlessness for months after general recovery seems commonplace. I repeatedly hear tales of people still having trouble climbing the stairs at home without having to stop for a rest for weeks after, people who were previously fit, healthy and athletic. So you are recovering well in comparison.

Very sad about the nurse customer.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 17th, 2021, 10:50 pm

XFool wrote:That only raises another question for me! How do you know when you have got flu? Whenever I have asked people they say: "You would know if you had flu." I never felt that helped.

For years now people have, during winter in particular, gone round saying: "I've got the flu". I never do, when I get a cold I always say: "I've got a cold". I don't know what I've got - I just call it a cold.

I guess that "cold" I got three years ago was more than just a cold! I never bother to go to the GP with a "cold", certainly not A&E. This whole matter is very confusing, at least it is to me.

I suspect that a high proportion of those who think they have had flu only had a bad cold. I've had flu and it is far worse than a bad cold. I have had it once and never since. I have never had a flu vaccination, as I didn't see the point.

I have had the vaccination against pneumonia and I have just had my first Covid vaccination with the Pfizer vaccine.

TJH

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 18th, 2021, 6:25 am

Mike4 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
Mike4: taste and smell back to normal now as far as I can tell. The last food that still tasted odd was tea which is very annoying because I love a good cup of tea.

Excellent news!!!!! Disaster about the tea though....

Definitely. I reckon if more had been made of tasteless tea as a major symptom Boris would have got his act together properly...

GS

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Almost 30% of Covid patients in England readmitted to hospital after discharge – study

The Guardian

Readmission rate for Covid patients 3.5 times greater, and death rate seven times higher, than for other hospital patients

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm

XFool wrote:Almost 30% of Covid patients in England readmitted to hospital after discharge – study

The Guardian

Readmission rate for Covid patients 3.5 times greater, and death rate seven times higher, than for other hospital patients

I know this is the anti-stats thread
but can someone confirm that these would only feature in the https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ figures:
- if they were COVID positive at the point of re-admission
- or if their death post discharge and re-admission was still within 28 days of their first positive test

There is a big disconnect between the number of dead people and "COVID" deaths and I wonder if this might go some way explaining it

- sd

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » January 18th, 2021, 10:25 pm

servodude wrote:
XFool wrote:Almost 30% of Covid patients in England readmitted to hospital after discharge – study

The Guardian

but can someone confirm that these would only feature in the https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ figures:
- or if their death post discharge and re-admission was still within 28 days of their first positive test

There is a big disconnect between the number of dead people and "COVID" deaths and I wonder if this might go some way explaining it

- sd

Sometimes you have to wonder whether the covid 19 viruses aren't the cause of death, they are only attracted to potential new ones. A little like angels, demons and cats (allegedly).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 18th, 2021, 10:47 pm

Sorcery wrote:
servodude wrote:

The Guardian

- sd

Sometimes you have to wonder whether the covid 19 viruses aren't the cause of death, they are only attracted to potential new ones. A little like angels, demons and cats (allegedly).

Yes it's good to wonder!

I wonder if cats all of a sudden started sending people in to the hospitals there might be something done about them
- at 50 people per day, 100, 400, 1000, 4000 a day?

or perhaps given their mind controlling parasites we'd have people telling us "we have to learn to live with the cats" ;)

- sd

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2021, 11:30 pm

Interesting to compare:

I never thought of Zimbabwe as a haven of stability. This year, I finally could
Michelle Kambasha

The Guardian

My family fled the country in the 1990s, but its cautious handling of the pandemic has made it feel safer than Britain

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 19th, 2021, 12:11 am

XFool wrote:Interesting to compare:

I never thought of Zimbabwe as a haven of stability. This year, I finally could
Michelle Kambasha

The Guardian

My family fled the country in the 1990s, but its cautious handling of the pandemic has made it feel safer than Britain

At the risk of breaking the no statistics rule this article is comparing chalk and cheese.

90% of deaths `with' covid in the UK have been in the over-65's.

18% of the population of the UK is over 65. In Zimbabwe it's less than 3%.

32% of people in Zimbabwe live in urban areas, where transmission rates are much higher. 84% of the UK live in urban areas.

Typical Guardian agenda-driven journalism.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 19th, 2021, 12:59 am

Well, I enjoyed it!

Martin Rowson on Lord Sumption's 'life less valuable' comments — cartoon

The Guardian

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » January 21st, 2021, 9:53 am

XFool in part of his explanation of his point of view (#375470 page 336) said:

But, they are trying to save people's lives. Why, after all this time, is this simple fact apparently STILL NOT UNDERSTOOD by so many? I cannot answer that question.

For clarity "they" are the Government (including, presumably, their advisers).

This is advanced as to why we should slavishly follow their advice.

Exhibit 1: https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-202 ... rs-2020-05

I would suggest this means that Government do get it serious wrong despite being told otherwise by (wrongly) ascribed deniers over long periods leading to advice that we should definitely not follow.

As things develop I suspect there will be other.

Eb.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 21st, 2021, 11:28 am

Eboli wrote:XFool in part of his explanation of his point of view (#375470 page 336) said:

But, they are trying to save people's lives. Why, after all this time, is this simple fact apparently STILL NOT UNDERSTOOD by so many? I cannot answer that question.

For clarity "they" are the Government (including, presumably, their advisers).

This is advanced as to why we should slavishly follow their advice.

Exhibit 1: https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-202 ... rs-2020-05

I would suggest this means that Government do get it serious wrong despite being told otherwise by (wrongly) ascribed deniers over long periods leading to advice that we should definitely not follow.

As things develop I suspect there will be other.

Yeah. An' all...

Just two things:

1. As somebody once said on a website, and as I previously quoted on here - "You don't get admitted to hospital with a case of the false positives"

2. Clinicians are skilled at diagnosing patients from their symptoms (and chest X-rays)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 21st, 2021, 11:41 am

Enhanced ventilation . a hobbyhorse of mine about which I contacted many SAGE members... news this morning in The Times 'New offices and commercial properties will have to install better ventilation systems to help to reduce the spread of airborne diseases such as Covid-19, under government proposals. Offices would have to have systems that can provide fresh air at 50% higher rates than the existing minimum standards. This would enable an “increased ventilation rate to be used during a period when infection rates are raised, such as in a future pandemic”, according to the consultation documents.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/new- ... -k2bb6ck6b paywalled...

I wonder whether this will get watered down.... it is surely a good thing.

V8

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 21st, 2021, 10:41 pm

about producing vit D3 by use of light

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... ls4%2C%205.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 21st, 2021, 11:42 pm

look wrote:about producing vit D3 by use of light

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... ls4%2C%205.

Think I prefer the tablets...
https://www.skincancer.org/risk-factors/uv-radiation/

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 22nd, 2021, 9:34 pm

Vrdiver, i am using tablets of vit. d3. But some people say the vit made by the body is better.

Please don't forget the nac (n acetil cisteine)

There are many studies about the use for the combat against covid. Don'1 expect that some day somebody will pay all the work to get the support of the regulators. It's too cheap for that.

If you don't know what to do in this weekend i suggest you to read this studies all made by professionals.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=e ... vid&oq=nac

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 22nd, 2021, 9:37 pm

I suggest that Xfool only give his opinion after reading carefully all the studies in the link.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 22nd, 2021, 9:53 pm

look wrote:I suggest that Xfool only give his opinion after reading carefully all the studies in the link.

About what?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”