Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Lootman wrote:Decision still to be signed off at meeting of ministers tomorrow but several government sources say disagreement is only over the detail.

General policy looks pretty nailed on.

Given that Easyjet and IAG both dropped around 7% almost on opening this morning, I think this was fairly well flagged over the weekend...

Yes, the chatter was building over the week-end, hence my bringing it up here. But we will have to await the details.

For instance right now various classes of people are exempt from the 10-day self-quarantine requirement. I cannot imagine that Joe Biden will have to spend 10 nights at the Smuggler's Inn at Newquay airport when he shows up in Air Force One in June for the G7, for example.

But I have to say this affects me more than any other UK restriction so far. I can deal with the pubs being closed having set up a "pub" in my back garden last April. And my favourite restaurants have been doing takeaway. But this one gets me in the gut. And it's not even the cost but rather the utter and abject tedium of 10 days in a hotel that I haven't chosen eating bad room-service food.

Maybe there will be some loopholes and exemptions. I will follow the chatter and report. But this is bad.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 25th, 2021, 8:24 pm

Lootman -

Unless i dreamt it, there was talk yesterday of leg tags to ensure that isolators stayed put. I should stay where you are for the duration.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Lootman -

Unless i dreamt it, there was talk yesterday of leg tags to ensure that isolators stayed put. I should stay where you are for the duration.

Yes, I saw that. I guess in the eyes of the government I am like a convicted criminal on the sex offendors' registry who has to wear an ankle bracelet.

Although I would put more money on a GPS solution. Has to be cheaper and easier than running prison hotels.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 25th, 2021, 8:34 pm

So, seriously, why not stay put? You are virtually with us, and anyone else you want, all the time whilst in the comfort of wherever you are staying in the US. Have your jabs there and relax. Everything you listed that you enjoy here has ground to a halt anyway and you may even be getting better weather where you are. Snow and ice here and not much to lift your spirits. You don't even need to worry about your tax return being submitted on time!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 25th, 2021, 8:45 pm

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:Possibly. Does it not also stop 50,000 people leaving and therefore potentially now spreading the virus in the UK, rather than in foreign countries?

Are there restrictions on people leaving too then?

I don't know, but it's the nature of "tit-for-tat", and the corollary when agreements are made bilaterally to exempt etc.

If on net less people go abroad, because they either have to quarantine on arrival, or coming back, and the same kind of thing applies internationally, then you will achieve a reduction in travelling, and "global mixing". That all helps in limiting the spread, so a good thing.

But it isn't the only consideration. You would also need to take into account that if 1% of travellers carry the virus say, and if they don't travel abroad they are at home, then they are more likely to spread it to other UK citizens as a result (than if they were abroad). So fewer foreigners with the virus arriving and also fewer domestics going abroad, and available to spread the virus in the UK.

If you only look at part of the equation you won't get the full answer. Particularly if the UK has a higher prevalence, and/or the strain in the UK is "worse", you might be net worse off if such policies are adopted across the globe. That's not to say it isn't a good idea from a global perspective in limiting the spread and transmission across the world, of course.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 25th, 2021, 9:09 pm

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:Possibly. Does it not also stop 50,000 people leaving and therefore potentially now spreading the virus in the UK, rather than in foreign countries?

I don't know, but it's the nature of "tit-for-tat", and the corollary when agreements are made bilaterally to exempt etc.

If on net less people go abroad, because they either have to quarantine on arrival, or coming back, and the same kind of thing applies internationally, then you will achieve a reduction in travelling, and "global mixing". That all helps in limiting the spread, so a good thing.

But it isn't the only consideration. You would also need to take into account that if 1% of travellers carry the virus say, and if they don't travel abroad they are at home, then they are more likely to spread it to other UK citizens as a result (than if they were abroad). So fewer foreigners with the virus arriving and also fewer domestics going abroad, and available to spread the virus in the UK.

If you only look at part of the equation you won't get the full answer. Particularly if the UK has a higher prevalence, and/or the strain in the UK is "worse", you might be net worse off if such policies are adopted across the globe. That's not to say it isn't a good idea from a global perspective in limiting the spread and transmission across the world, of course.

How convoluted can you get? If we already have more cases, surely we should try to contain them here rather than export them elsewhere, just as we are trying to prevent getting more here. All travel should be prevented (apart from Air Force One, of course, and I shouldn't think Biden is in too much of a hurry) till this virus is contained. Strict isolation is the only answer.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 9:23 pm

Bouleversee wrote:So, seriously, why not stay put? You are virtually with us, and anyone else you want, all the time whilst in the comfort of wherever you are staying in the US. Have your jabs there and relax. Everything you listed that you enjoy here has ground to a halt anyway and you may even be getting better weather where you are. Snow and ice here and not much to lift your spirits. You don't even need to worry about your tax return being submitted on time!

Yeah, you are right. It is 12 degrees and sunny here right now. So not exactly beach weather but not bad either.

I am in group 5 for UK vaccination, and right now that looks like March and June. But here I am already eligible. Problem is supply but there is a good chance I can get both jabs in February. No 12 week nonsense here.

My wife is very happy as all her family are around, and life is always a little easier when she is happy. And today the state governor announced that nail/hair places can reopen and restaurants can resume outdoor dining.

And we have a house sitter in London so no worries there.

This is low season for travel unless you are a skier, so I do not think there will be too much pushback until Easter when the travel season starts, which is early April this year. We will see. I do worry about people who have to return for funerals, family emergencies etc. And I miss my kids.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 25th, 2021, 9:38 pm

Lootman wrote:Only essential travel is allowed at the moment anyway. There are various groups who are exempted from the restrictions and allowed to fly (or take a ferry or a Eurostar).

Essential? So it's essential for tens of thousands of people to fly in every day? I would love to hear what is defined as essential. Unless someones life depends on their getting on a plane then how can any such travel trump trying to stop the spread of the virus and mutations of the same?

China stopped all internal flights a year ago. Seems no one absolutely had to travel.

A strange age we live in if it's essential for thousands of people to get on a plane every day!

boE

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Lootman wrote:Only essential travel is allowed at the moment anyway. There are various groups who are exempted from the restrictions and allowed to fly (or take a ferry or a Eurostar).

Essential? So it's essential for tens of thousands of people to fly in every day? I would love to hear what is defined as essential. Unless someones life depends on their getting on a plane then how can any such travel trump trying to stop the spread of the virus and mutations of the same?

China stopped all internal flights a year ago. Seems no one absolutely had to travel.

A strange age we live in if it's essential for thousands of people to get on a plane every day!

The list of exemptions is published by the government and is extensive. Nor surprisingly it includes civil servants, and even postal workers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rder-rules

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 25th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Lootman wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:So, seriously, why not stay put? You are virtually with us, and anyone else you want, all the time whilst in the comfort of wherever you are staying in the US. Have your jabs there and relax. Everything you listed that you enjoy here has ground to a halt anyway and you may even be getting better weather where you are. Snow and ice here and not much to lift your spirits. You don't even need to worry about your tax return being submitted on time!

Yeah, you are right. It is 12 degrees and sunny here right now. So not exactly beach weather but not bad either.

I am in group 5 for UK vaccination, and right now that looks like March and June. But here I am already eligible. Problem is supply but there is a good chance I can get both jabs in February. No 12 week nonsense here.

My wife is very happy as all her family are around, and life is always a little easier when she is happy. And today the state governor announced that nail/hair places can reopen and restaurants can resume outdoor dining.

And we have a house sitter in London so no worries there.

This is low season for travel unless you are a skier, so I do not think there will be too much pushback until Easter when the travel season starts, which is early April this year. We will see. I do worry about people who have to return for funerals, family emergencies etc. And I miss my kids.

Sit tight, Zoom or Skype with your sprogs and thank your lucky stars. Sounds like you have got it made. Bear in mind that you might even pick up Covid if you are in a hotel. I hear there is mingling including the security guards having sex with the residents, not that that would apply in your case, I am sure :)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 25th, 2021, 10:24 pm

Covid linked to risk of mental illness and brain disorder, study suggests

The Guardian

One in eight people who get coronavirus also have first psychiatric or neurological illness within six months, research finds

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 25th, 2021, 10:42 pm

Staying in a hotel at the cost of £1500, for instance, would deter me. I would far prefer to delay the river cruise I mentioned and pay that sum into a later cruise if I have to spend the money. That will be the fourth postponement.
But why not just ban flights? - be honest and say we are isolating if tht's what we must do. If the government simply slapped on a ban, at least people with holidays or flights booked would then have some rights to refund. If the individual makes that decision, there wouldn't be, presumably - even though they were de facto carrying out the government's wishes.

Arb.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 25th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Staying in a hotel at the cost of £1500, for instance, would deter me. I would far prefer to delay the river cruise I mentioned and pay that sum into a later cruise if I have to spend the money. That will be the fourth postponement.
But why not just ban flights? - be honest and say we are isolating if tht's what we must do. If the government simply slapped on a ban, at least people with holidays or flights booked would then have some rights to refund. If the individual makes that decision, there wouldn't be, presumably - even though they were de facto carrying out the government's wishes.

Arb.

Didn't they try and get everyone to do self quarantine?

I guess if that had been sufficient (as a measure and deterrent to travel) this might not have been necessary
- but I think I remember there being a bit of a backlash against that

I reckon the details might get refined as things progress (and the thumbscrews continue to tighten as a result)

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 26th, 2021, 12:05 am

Bouleversee wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

How convoluted can you get? If we already have more cases, surely we should try to contain them here rather than export them elsewhere, just as we are trying to prevent getting more here. All travel should be prevented (apart from Air Force One, of course, and I shouldn't think Biden is in too much of a hurry) till this virus is contained. Strict isolation is the only answer.

I guess that the equation should factor in that the mooted 1% of the UK infected should not be mixing with others given the present restrictions?

It's a bit like emptying a bath; pulling the plug helps, so does turning the taps off
- but you really need to do both

-sd

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » January 26th, 2021, 7:42 am

Wow. No wonder we are seeing the pandemic spread and mutate.

BoE

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 26th, 2021, 7:42 am

Bouleversee wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

You are looking at what should be done, what common sense suggests, how theoretically people must behave. And also assuming that individuals, and countries, will all be striving to do what is the best thing, in an altruistic way for everyone, and not necessarily best for themselves. I am not convinced the world looks like that, pre-Covid or now.

All I am saying is in the practical world in which we live sometimes there are unintended consequences of decisions that are made, regardless of the best of intentions. I am not advocated such, merely replying to someone who says that doing X will result in less of Y, and giving a real world example where that might be so, and might be worse. That is all.

Consider a "game". There are 2 velvet bags each contain 100 balls. The first bag is labelled "UK", the second "elsewhere". You have to pick a ball randomly from the bag "UK", if it is white you win, if black you lose (or die if we want to be morbid). There are 90 white balls and 10 black ones. the model is simple and the ball representing your next "contact", you can work out your odds of winning easily.

In the next version of the game before you choose your ball from the first bag 10 balls are switched between bags (representing air travel). What if in bag "elsewhere" there are 96 white balls and 4 black ones? After the "switch" the odds of pulling a white ball from the 100 balls in bag "UK" have improved.

Consider other versions. Instead of switching 10 balls, travel is now "restricted", so the preamble to the game represents just 2 balls switching bags now instead of 10. This version of the game has higher odds of white than the original, but less than the second version.

Lets add another colour ball to represent a new strain of the virus. White is safe, blue is "get ill", black is "die" (black being a worse strain). Bag "UK" has 90 white, 2 blue, 8 black. Bag "elsewhere" has 90 white, 8 blue, 2 black (or 96 white, 2 blue , 2 black) etc.

There are plenty versions of this game where allowing mixing between the bags increases your chances of pulling a white ball from the "UK" bag, than from the strict 90 white 10 black original version.

Those who are insistent and only talking about the "outrageous" chance of a black (or blue) ball coming out of bag two, and that something must be done about it, aren't looking at all of the rules of the game

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 26th, 2021, 7:45 am

servodude wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
dealtn wrote:

I guess that the equation should factor in that the mooted 1% of the UK infected should not be mixing with others given the present restrictions?

It's a bit like emptying a bath; pulling the plug helps, so does turning the taps off
- but you really need to do both

-sd

Yes the real world, and a model of it, is multi-variant. You can look at single things in isolation, but in practice you need to consider all of them. The world (and its model) are even more complicated of course, there may be interaction and causation between the plug and the tap, they might not be independent.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 26th, 2021, 8:17 am

dealtn wrote:Yes the real world, and a model of it, is multi-variant. You can look at single things in isolation, but in practice you need to consider all of them.

True for an absolute 1:1 simulation but..
normally just covering the dominant poles will give you a model from which you can sufficiently gauge how you might want to act (or control the plant) -
in this case:
- stopping internal spread of the virus is worthwhile
- so is also stopping exogenous input
- between them there's not really many other ways to grow the virus in any given country?

Do both and they compound - everyone wins!
- the effort of lockdown isn't squandered by people bringing it in
- quarantine isn't a waste if time because "it's kicking about the town anyways"

Look at either in isolation (like the net of infected traveling people) and the picture is a bit incomplete
- try and control the virus using only one and the other will undermine your efforts a bit (probably a big bit)

- sd

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 26th, 2021, 8:31 am

My understanding is that the government are finally acting on border control due to fear of new variants spreading. My worry is that they know more than they are saying but possibly they are just being cautious...shame it took them so long.

John

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 26th, 2021, 8:33 am

My understanding is that the government are finally acting on border control due to fear of new variants spreading. My worry is that they know more than they are saying but possibly they are just being cautious...shame it took them so long.

I can see this being a lot more complex than the government imagines though. When you consider the logistics involved a year or so ago with isolating just a few hundred repatriated from China.

John

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”