Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby tjh290633 » August 25th, 2022, 10:03 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Meanwhile the Telegraph got terribly excited about the persistence of excess mortality in England in the last year, claiming it was some kind of persistent effect from lockdown per se. Stuart McDonald of the Covid-19 Actuaries group dismisses that :
https://twitter.com/ActuaryByDay/status ... 1637472256
So what are the underlying causes? I think three main factors:
1. elevated cardiovascular risks after covid infection
2. current delays for urgent treatment in the NHS
3. missed and delayed diagnoses early in the pandemic

As I read the article, the Telegraph attributed them possibly to causes 2 and 3 above. Both directly due to Lockdown.

So McDonald actually agrees with the Telegraph but adds a possible 3rd cause.

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 30th, 2022, 11:08 am

Not sure if this belongs here or in The Conservative Party Leadership Election thread.

Don’t blame scientists, Mr Sunak, when governments rarely act on our advice

The Guardian

Britain was ill-prepared for a pandemic because politicians didn’t want to make the risks public

"It is nonsense to suggest that Sage was insensitive to the issue of the long-term effects of lockdowns – a whole subgroup dedicated itself to trying to understand what this might look like. Sage was discussing the topic of excess deaths in detail in April 2020."

Sir Ian Boyd is a Scottish zoologist, environmental and polar scientist, former chief scientific adviser at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs and is a professor of biology at the University of St Andrews

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 1st, 2022, 1:08 pm

The blue envelopes from the NHS arrived a few days ago - our appointments for the Covid and Flu vaccinations at the end of this month. For the first time they have managed to schedule our vaccinations at the same place, on the same day, and at the same time (within a few minutes).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 14th, 2022, 8:20 pm

Covid protection may be boosted by genes, study shows

BBC News

Some people with "lucky genes" or certain DNA may get extra strong protection after Covid jabs, say scientists from University of Oxford.

"The researchers found people with a version of a gene called HLA-DQB1*06 had a bigger antibody response following vaccination than others.

About 30 to 40% of the UK population have this type.
"

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » October 14th, 2022, 9:23 pm

XFool wrote:Covid protection may be boosted by genes, study shows

BBC News

Some people with "lucky genes" or certain DNA may get extra strong protection after Covid jabs, say scientists from University of Oxford.

"The researchers found people with a version of a gene called HLA-DQB1*06 had a bigger antibody response following vaccination than others.

About 30 to 40% of the UK population have this type.
"

How do they know what percentage of the population have it? Presumably just based on a random selection?

I'd love to know what my antibody response is, having finally managed to get my booster today, not long enough before my appointment on l7 Oct. at the hospital where I picked up a bug in Jan. 2020 which made me ill for over a week.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 14th, 2022, 10:13 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How do they know what percentage of the population have it? Presumably just based on a random selection?

We already have eg 200,000 full-genome sequences just from the UK Biobank, the number of human genome sequences must be in the millions now - so we have a pretty good idea of gene frequencies in the population.

And as someone who was doing biology in the equivalent of Sinclair ZX81 days, it is amazing to see how genome sequencing has become so mainstream, the last 10 years for sequencing has been like the 1980s in home computing or the noughties in mobile phones.

Incidentally, they're now taking bookings for autumn boosters for 50-64's, I think I heard today was the first day for that group :
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 30th, 2022, 6:28 pm

Yikes - it's down-regulates the p53 system, which is involved in the inflammation response and a ton of other things, including killing off cells that are heading in the direction of cancer - p53 is a tumour suppressor protein. It's really, really not something you want a virus messing with.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 71583/full

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 13th, 2022, 3:16 pm

Talking about unreliable sources... (We were, see adjacent thread: John Campbell)

Remember The Spectator? That august scientific journal chosen by Carl Heneghan, director of Oxford University's Centre for Evidence Based Medicine (Wot? He still there?), to announce misrepresent to the world the glad tidings of "definitive" research proving the uselessness of masks during the pandemic (which wasn't, mind you, actually a real pandemic, according to Carl (in 2020). But no matter...). News that one cannot but think fitted the prejudices of his audience.

Well, the Spectator has an Australian edition. :o

Yes did I check the publication date, it wasn't 1st April but 5th November 2022

Wot’s in the shots?

http://www.spectator.com.au/2022/11/wots-in-the-shots/

Graphene oxide? Nanobots?

"So is there graphene oxide in the Pfizer shots? What Nixon found, and filmed, is bizarre to say the least. Inside a droplet of vaccine are strange mechanical structures. They seem motionless at first but when Nixon used time-lapse photography to condense 48 hours of footage into two minutes, it showed what appear to be mechanical arms assembling and disassembling glowing rectangular structures that look like circuitry and micro chips. These are not ‘manufactured products’ in the CDC’s words because they construct and deconstruct themselves but the formation of the crystals seems to be stimulated by electromagnetic radiation and stops when the slide with the vaccine is shielded by a Faraday bag. Nixon’s findings are similar to those of teams in New Zealand, Germany, Spain and South Korea."

"As for Covid, in Australia, vaccine efficacy appears to be negative, judging by the statistics in NSW which are far from perfect but the best in Australia. They show that 88 per cent of people who died were vaccinated even though they made up only 85.5 per cent of the population. They also showed that the unvaccinated made up only 0.15 per cent of people in hospital with Covid and only 1.1 per cent of people in ICU."

"The question is, how many others is it killing too? Until health authorities tell us what’s in the shots, we won’t know."

Rebecca Weisser is an independent journalist. Like what you read? Consider supporting her work at PayPal.

https://www.cis.org.au/person/rebecca-weisser/

"Rebecca has an Honours degree (1st) in Arts from Australian National University, majoring in Human Geography, Development Studies and French and a Graduate Diploma in Foreign Affairs and Trade, also from ANU."

Um... It's not enough then! BTW, Love those deniable question marks Rebecca. ;)

Well, that's how it is down under. I wonder if said article will find its way back to the Spectator in Pom Land?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 13th, 2022, 7:42 pm

XFool wrote:Talking about unreliable sources... Rebecca Weisser is an independent journalist. Like what you read? Consider supporting her work at PayPal.
"Rebecca has an Honours degree (1st) in Arts from Australian National University, majoring in Human Geography, Development Studies and French and a Graduate Diploma in Foreign Affairs and Trade, also from ANU."
Um... It's not enough then! BTW, Love those deniable question marks Rebecca. ;)

I suppose she has the vote... and might be permitted to reproduce... we're doomed.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 18th, 2022, 10:13 am

Long Covid: What's changed, and what we know now

BBC News

More than two million people in the UK say they have symptoms of long Covid, according to the latest Office for National Statistics (ONS) survey.

"Many long Covid patients now report Omicron was their first infection - and I'm one of them."

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 18th, 2022, 10:47 am

Lootman wrote:In the same way that Covid picked mainly on those with pre-existing conditions, frailties and co-morbidities, perhaps that is also the case with the so-called Long Covid.

So neither is much of a threat if you are young and/or healthy. But if you are not then Covid will exacerbate and exploit the already existing weakness and condition.

Or possibly a rather naive and simplistic idea about a rather complicated and unpredictable disease? A "cold" it isn't:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63546138

"Sophia Pemberton, a 31-year-old special needs teacher, had her first appointment at the clinic after living with symptoms since she caught Covid in March 2020.

The school where she worked remained open throughout the lockdowns, and Sophia explained that even as more people caught Covid she "naively thought it'd be just like a cold", until she became ill herself.
"

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:In the same way that Covid picked mainly on those with pre-existing conditions, frailties and co-morbidities, perhaps that is also the case with the so-called Long Covid.

So neither is much of a threat if you are young and/or healthy. But if you are not then Covid will exacerbate and exploit the already existing weakness and condition.

Or possibly a rather naive and simplistic idea about a rather complicated and unpredictable disease? A "cold" it isn't

I have had mixed results from my original predictions about Covid. Some proved right and some proved wrong. I dare say that is true of everyone, including some "experts".

But I have not had it to my knowledge. And at this point I do not see many people wearing masks (nor many conversations here about Covid) and so have to conclude that we have all just got a bit bored with it and just accept it as another background disease that we might catch if we are unlucky, and that most likely will not kill us if we do:

UK population: 67,000,000
UK cases: 24,000,000
UK deaths from Covid: 210,000, or a little under one third of one percent of the population

I will be getting jab number 5 in March, nonetheless. Otherwise life is 100% back to pre-Covid normal.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 21st, 2022, 12:05 pm

Lootman wrote:I have had mixed results from my original predictions about Covid.
But I have not had it to my knowledge. And at this point I do not see many people wearing masks (nor many conversations here about Covid) and so have to conclude that we have all just got a bit bored with it and just accept it as another background disease that we might catch if we are unlucky, and that most likely will not kill us if we do:

Probably true.
I have only had it once to my knowledge, and it had less impact than flu.
But it seems pretty clear that the results of 'long covid' can be unpleasant, and that the more frequently one catches it the more likely one is to experience long-term detriment.

We have been avoiding crowded spaces such as restaurants, not actively, it just seems to be a disinclination. I rarely travel on public transport, but if I do and it's crowded, I shall still wear my mask.

I was somewhat shocked when attending my GP last week that there was no forced ventilation in his room... it is alarming if health professionals have not even taken on board the first line of defence in avoiding covid... to dilute it with good ventilation.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 28th, 2022, 5:37 pm

China’s Covid crisis demands terrible choices. The world will suffer if this goes wrong

The Guardian

The zero-Covid policy is damaging the economy, but to reverse it risks loss of life, economic damage and the emergence of new variants

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 3rd, 2022, 11:07 am

Interesting...

Matt Hancock: I was warned 820,000 in UK could die from Covid

BBC News

Former Health Secretary Matt Hancock says he was warned 820,000 people in the UK could die from Covid two months before the country went into lockdown.

"In his new book, Mr Hancock says that when he mentioned the projected death toll to other cabinet ministers, their reaction was "somewhat 'shrug shrug' - essentially because they didn't really believe it".

He wrote: "I am constantly feeling that others, who aren't focused on this every day, are weeks behind what's going on."
"

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 3rd, 2022, 4:43 pm

XFool wrote:He wrote: "I am constantly feeling that others, who aren't focused on this every day, are weeks behind what's going on."

Well, the first four words were true anyway. https://www.private-eye.co.uk/hp-sauce .

So when the MP for Newmarket (home of the Jockey Club) bypassed the rules and picked his old mate Dido Harding (JC board member) to run the Test and Trace operation, which squandered 30 odd billion and didn't work, it was simply that he was in a hurry and needed to move fast and break things? Yeah, right. ;)

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 5th, 2022, 9:04 am

Video from Dr Susan Oliver looking at the excess deaths data vs vaccination status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePFw285v1g

I find her delivery quite annoying but she gives very clear scientific data.

Take home messages if you don't want to watch whole video

@ 2.22 - In the UK age standardised mortality rate all causes per 100000 person years
Vaccinated : 967.4
Unvaccinated : 2337.5

@8.17 A table comparing the mortality rate in the 10 most vaccinated US states vs the 10 least vaxxed.
Excess all cause mortality in most vaxxed per 100,000 65.1
Excess all cause mortality in least vaxxed per 100,000 193.3

This table also compares other OECD countries including the UK.

Don't believe the anti-vaxxers

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 5th, 2022, 10:50 am

redsturgeon wrote:I find her delivery quite annoying but she gives very clear scientific data.

It's the filter innit? A bit too "Hey I'm 13 on TikTok"

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » December 5th, 2022, 1:08 pm

servodude wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I find her delivery quite annoying but she gives very clear scientific data.

Such an information-rich video though, usefully summarising multiple relevant papers and reports, that I’m 100% willing to come to terms with her presenting style that I also find annoying. Thanks for posting the link John.

If John Campbell really does want to live up to his “I only present/follow the data” philosophy (my characterisation) I wonder whether he would see fit to cover any, or ideally all of the papers & reports referenced in this video. If he did he would regain some credit in my eyes but I somehow doubt it will happen given the reaction I am sure it would provoke in his comments section which, based on the few times I have popped my head in there recently, has become a nest of antivaxers and devoid of any debate instead full of people posting and drawing conclusions from individual anecdotes. Still, never say never I suppose.

- Julian

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 5th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Julian wrote:
servodude wrote:

Such an information-rich video though, usefully summarising multiple relevant papers and reports, that I’m 100% willing to come to terms with her presenting style that I also find annoying. Thanks for posting the link John.

If John Campbell really does want to live up to his “I only present/follow the data” philosophy (my characterisation) I wonder whether he would see fit to cover any, or ideally all of the papers & reports referenced in this video. If he did he would regain some credit in my eyes but I somehow doubt it will happen given the reaction I am sure it would provoke in his comments section which, based on the few times I have popped my head in there recently, has become a nest of antivaxers and devoid of any debate instead full of people posting and drawing conclusions from individual anecdotes. Still, never say never I suppose.

- Julian

I stopped watching John Campbell a good while ago (when life reached "what pandemic?" status round here) and was surprised when I watched Dr Oliver's video linked here recently as to just how much the content he was pushing had been changed/perverted.
It almost seems as if he's trying to hold on to the position he attained during the pandemic by finding more "attractive" stuff to post because the natural audience has dwindled off.

Surprised and disappointed; as I'd found him a really decent presenter when it was about stuff he was considering objectively (i.e. without the eye on the viewing numbers that should have been on the Simpsons Paradox detector!)

-sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”