Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby XFool » November 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Gene common in south Asian people doubles risk of Covid death, study finds

The Guardian

Finding could partly explain excess deaths seen in some communities in the UK and in south Asia

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » November 6th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Julian wrote:If you discovered that 3 patients recovered after being savagely beaten with a stick for an hour a day for five days in a row(*) ...

(*) I'm picking a pretty extreme and hence not particularly realistic analogy simply to try and convey the point about potential harm. Still not a great analogy but the best I could come up with at short notice.

You may get a better example from oncology. Some cancer treatments bear remarkably similarity to being beaten with a stick.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » November 6th, 2021, 6:46 pm

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » November 6th, 2021, 7:00 pm

about beaten with a stick, i reject the suggestion.

i had an experience years ago.

A doctor receipt Koide D to me. It was composed by betametazone and an anti histamic. Interesting is that the anti histamic substance increased the efficiency of the betametazone (that is from the same family than dexametazone, even considered equivalent). With the use of the anti histamic, less from the betametazone was needed.

I use it during 5 days as recommended. After that, the problems return, then i used it for other 5 days (the interval was 2 days). After that, the problem returns again, not so strong but returned, then i searched in the internet. One guy suggest eat pineapple to combat allergies, it was ghe more pleasant suggestion. In the first second i decided to eat pineapple. Fruits are needed, and why not eating that fruit?

it was this fruit
https://www.google.com/search?q=fotos+d ... e&ie=UTF-8

The problem didn't return. Interesting was the sensation when i used the Koide D. I never feel something alike.

About the hamburger, it is cheap. When there is a suggestion, i ask anyone has a beeter suggestiion? 1, 2 3, nobody has a better suggestion? if not absurd the suggestion can be approved.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » November 6th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Doing nothing is always a possible suggestion. Often it is a better suggestion. That is why we do double blind placebo studies.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 7th, 2021, 10:22 am

9873210 wrote:
Julian wrote:If you discovered that 3 patients recovered after being savagely beaten with a stick for an hour a day for five days in a row(*) ...

(*) I'm picking a pretty extreme and hence not particularly realistic analogy simply to try and convey the point about potential harm. Still not a great analogy but the best I could come up with at short notice.

You may get a better example from oncology. Some cancer treatments bear remarkably similarity to being beaten with a stick.

Or the ancient practice of bloodletting which although widely believed to help in all sorts of conditions undoubtedly lead to many deaths and is now thought to be useful in only a few rare blood conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

The practice has now been abandoned by modern-style medicine for all except a few very specific medical conditions.[3] It is conceivable that historically, in the absence of other treatments for hypertension, bloodletting sometimes had a beneficial effect in temporarily reducing blood pressure by reducing blood volume.[4] However, since hypertension is very often asymptomatic and thus not diagnosable without modern methods, this effect was unintentional. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the historical use of bloodletting was harmful to patients.[5]

Today, the term phlebotomy refers to the drawing of blood for laboratory analysis or blood transfusion.[6] Therapeutic phlebotomy refers to the drawing of a unit of blood in specific cases like hemochromatosis, polycythemia vera, porphyria cutanea tarda, etc., to reduce the number of red blood cells.[7][8] The traditional medical practice of bloodletting is today considered to be a pseudoscience.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » November 7th, 2021, 1:04 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
9873210 wrote:

Or the ancient practice of bloodletting which although widely believed to help in all sorts of conditions undoubtedly lead to many deaths and is now thought to be useful in only a few rare blood conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

The practice has now been abandoned by modern-style medicine for all except a few very specific medical conditions.[3] It is conceivable that historically, in the absence of other treatments for hypertension, bloodletting sometimes had a beneficial effect in temporarily reducing blood pressure by reducing blood volume.[4] However, since hypertension is very often asymptomatic and thus not diagnosable without modern methods, this effect was unintentional. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the historical use of bloodletting was harmful to patients.[5]

Today, the term phlebotomy refers to the drawing of blood for laboratory analysis or blood transfusion.[6] Therapeutic phlebotomy refers to the drawing of a unit of blood in specific cases like hemochromatosis, polycythemia vera, porphyria cutanea tarda, etc., to reduce the number of red blood cells.[7][8] The traditional medical practice of bloodletting is today considered to be a pseudoscience.

An excellent illustration of the point. Thank you.

- Julian

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 7th, 2021, 1:12 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Or the ancient practice of bloodletting which although widely believed to help in all sorts of conditions undoubtedly lead to many deaths and is now thought to be useful in only a few rare blood conditions.

That reminds me. When I was a child (OK it was quite a while ago) at home we had one of those old Home Medicine books. It was to look up symptoms and recommended treatments - I guess it dated to some time before the NHS.

Anyway, being old it still recommended, for some conditions, the letting of blood: "Apply one leech". If things were really serious it suggested more leeches: "Apply three leeches". The thing I always remember is the 'treatment' to be applied for the most serious medical emergency of finding somebody who had tried to hang themselves: "Open the carotid artery".

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 8th, 2021, 12:32 pm

And I was worried my question would be off topic :lol:

Is it true that the definition of "fully vaccinated" is under review here in England now?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 8th, 2021, 3:05 pm

...And does anyone know if the NHS App reports the booster vaccination? (See adjacent thread - NHS Patient Access vs new NHS App? )

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 8th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Is it true that the definition of "fully vaccinated" is under review here in England now?

In what context? For arriving from another country the "fully vaccinated" definition is still "you have had a complete course of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before you arrive in England." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-e ... s-covid-19

"Complete course" is "If you were vaccinated with a 2 dose vaccine (Moderna, Pfizer BioNTech, Oxford AstraZeneca, or a combination of them), you must have had both doses to be considered fully vaccinated for travel to the UK." and "If you had an approved one dose vaccine (the Janssen vaccine), you are fully vaccinated." https://www.gov.uk/guidance/countries-w ... accination

But there are other contexts, of course. People over 50 who had their original course more than 6 months ago might not consider themselves fully vaccinated if they haven't had a booster.

Whether the international travel definition is being changed to something like that, I don't know.

Scott.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » November 8th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Thanks Scott
I heard on the radio that were changes coming for over 50 and for travel. I meant in terms of law, not what people consider for themselves.

No source of news seems to be reliable amd the government seem to enjoy being as last minute as posdible.

Posters here are v knowledgeable so I thought I'd ask.

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » November 8th, 2021, 4:04 pm

XFool wrote:...And does anyone know if the NHS App reports the booster vaccination? (See adjacent thread - NHS Patient Access vs new NHS App? )

It doesn't as yet, nobody seems to have thought of it ! They are supposed to be working on it

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 8th, 2021, 5:27 pm

niord wrote:
XFool wrote:...And does anyone know if the NHS App reports the booster vaccination? (See adjacent thread - NHS Patient Access vs new NHS App? )

It doesn't as yet, nobody seems to have thought of it ! They are supposed to be working on it

OK. Thanks for that. It had crossed my mind as one reason (of several possible) why the 'top' record of my COVID vaccination status in Patient Access still only refers to my second vaccination back in March.

Perhaps when the NHS App is updated the PA record will be updated too.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » November 8th, 2021, 5:41 pm

I just saw this on the BBC and I thought it may inspire people to engage in a gentler, less adversarial way with opposing views on vaccines, COVID, masks, and other conspiracy theories. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56762061

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 8th, 2021, 6:55 pm

They don't seem to know who has booked a booster. I have had mine booked since October 19th for Saturday coming. Yet today I get a letter telling me that I haven't had one.

They really do need a shake-up on the software front. Get rid of the fax machines for a start.

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 8th, 2021, 7:04 pm

AWOL wrote:I just saw this on the BBC and I thought it may inspire people to engage in a gentler, less adversarial way with opposing views on vaccines, COVID, masks, and other conspiracy theories. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56762061

And this? From July 14th, 2020:

Coronavirus: How to talk about conspiracy theories

BBC News

Conspiracy theories have thrived during the pandemic. Maybe you even have a friend or relative who’s brought one up in conversation. How can you talk to them without starting an argument – or sending them further down the rabbit hole?

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 8th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Julian wrote:I understand why Hallucigenia didn't feel like spending a long time trying to come up with another analogy and chose hamburgers but the one thing that analogy fails to adequately capture, IMHO, is the fact that all drugs have side effects so they have the potential to do harm.

Fair cop, I was in a bit of a rush at the time and it was already getting too long. Perhaps a better analogy would be a course of 1 peanut-butter sandwich (PBS) per day for 28 days as a treatment for Covid-19.

Ignoring whether it was an effective treatment for Covid-19, you can imagine that many people will find 28xPBS an easy thing to do - they like peanut butter.

I would be in the second group, I really hate peanut butter so I would find the "side-effect" of "tastes bad" such a problem that I might give up after just one or two days.

And 1 in 100 people have peanut allergy and could die - how could you detect that from a study size of three people?

And even the peanut butter analogy doesn't really acknowledge that the real resource constraint is in the ability to do clinical trials - perhaps the biggest impact on Covid from the likes of ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine is that vast amounts of that precious resource has been wasted on testing them rather than things that do work like dexamethasone.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 8th, 2021, 10:36 pm

tjh290633 wrote:

They don't seem to know who has booked a booster. I have had mine booked since October 19th for Saturday coming. Yet today I get a letter telling me that I haven't had one.

They really do need a shake-up on the software front. Get rid of the fax machines for a start.

TJH

Isn't that hardware? You're right though a ridiculous anachronism.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 8th, 2021, 10:43 pm

dealtn wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:They really do need a shake-up on the software front. Get rid of the fax machines for a start.

Isn't that hardware? You're right though a ridiculous anachronism.

Though could still be more secure than email?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”