Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Coronavirus - General Chat - No statistics

Postby servodude » September 1st, 2021, 3:06 pm

nicodemusboffin wrote:I'm still to hear why it's a possibility that's not even worth considering.

My point was that they HAVE considered it
- considered it HARD
- considered it at a level most stuff doesn't get considered for consideration
AND you're more likely to die if stung by a wasp (which as far as we know doesn't convey any protection from COVID ;) )

Trust me on this... ...there's a LOT of good people and vested interests (on all sides) looking at the vaccines and how they might hurt folk
- we DO NOT need the BBC or any alt-whatever news corp to ask "ARE THE VACCINES CAUSING ALL THE DEATHS WE CAN'T EXPLAIN"
- the answer would be "No, everyone we have is looking at this to make sure it's not the case.. stop wasting our time asking bad scaremongering questions, go and sell crystals" (well that's the polite version)

We know, as well as can be known, how many people the vaccines are killing (it's not 0 but it might as well be on a population level analysis)
- discovering the reasons for any present "excess deaths" needs a different effort (one that is presently lacking - not least because so many of the folk that might consider the problem are justifiably looking to continually validate that the vaccines aren't the problem)

- sd

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 1st, 2021, 4:58 pm

nicodemusboffin wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:As for the excess deaths - we do have controls in the form of places like Australia, which has also seen a spike in excess deaths despite having low levels of vaccination.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/healt ... 0-may-2021

Not sure how reassuring I find the fact that Australia has also suffered excess non-Covid related deaths, given that it has already administered over 19 million vaccine doses, and presumably hasn't had the missed health appointments, pressure on ambulance services, etc, experienced here.
https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-a ... ne-rollout

Perhaps you might actually read the link I gave - it covers the period Jan 2020 - May 2021. For most of that period nobody in Oz had been vaccinated - they didn't start til February and by 31 May had only double-jabbed 1.9% and single-jabbed 13%. But read what the link is saying - eg dementia deaths were 17.1% higher than the 5-year average in January and May 2021 - but the figure for Jan-May 2020 was also 16.9% above average. So the difference seems to be lockdowns rather than vaccination. And with jabs only starting a few months before the end of the period, it's unlikely they would have such a dramatic effect on a long-term disease like dementia.

And also - it's been long predicted that there would be a medium-term effect on health due to the knock-on effects of Covid on healthcare. Whereas the vaccines have been intensively scrutinised, such that one-in-a-million effects are being detected - the excess deaths are orders of magnitude greater.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » September 1st, 2021, 5:55 pm

servodude wrote:
9873210 wrote:
servodude wrote:
Perhaps there's an argument for sourcing some original SARS-COV2 to intentionally release so that it infects and exercises the immune systems of the vaccinated? but given the history of introduced releases in OZ I'm not sure even the LNP would go for that ?!

Delta out competes the original A.1 virus by quite a large factor. The only way to a meaningful number infections with A.1 virus when delta is circulating is to continually dump large quantities of A.1. You have to deliberately infect people with A.1 faster than delta is. This is going to overwhelm your healthcare system faster than doing nothing. Any difference in lethality between the two variants is far too small to make a difference.

Even if everyone (willing and able) was vaccinated against it?
Which was the proposal in my (albeit) abstract thought experiment given the suggestion of exposure thereto being an exercise of the immune system

-sd

The vaccines are not specific to delta. If anything they are specific to A.1. If vaccines contain delta they will prevent A.1 from spreading. In any case if vaccines contain delta we would declare victory rather than consider re-releasing A.1. (Not that we'd have to re-release A.1 it is most likely still circulating at very low levels; if conditions are right for A.1 to spread, it will take off.)

I can see thee ways a variant virus could be used.

1. If we had a variant with very high infectivity and very low effects we could release it with the hope that it would circulate and drive out delta. But this variant is not A.1, it's not infective enough. (Also, this is close to mad scientist territory: there is a possibility of a recombination event in a double infected person resulting in an omega variant with the effects of delta but higher infectivity.)
  2. If we had a virus variant with low infectivity and low effects we could directly infect people, but it would not circulate. At that point this mild virus is a vaccine. One of the primary virtues of the current vaccines is that they were available quickly, it is likely that at some point we will have better vaccines. Perhaps an attenuated virus vaccine will work better. But is will not be A.1, it's too deadly and we can almost certainly select or engineer a more appropriate strain. There are many labeled variants you've never heard of and multitudes that have not been numbered because they do not spread or cause disease.
  3. If delta was entirely eliminated then perhaps you could release a virus with low effects and any infectivity. But again A.1 would not be my choice, and delta is not going to be eliminated, so you can't get there from here.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 1st, 2021, 9:33 pm

9873210 wrote:I can see thee ways a variant virus could be used.

1. If we had a variant with very high infectivity and very low effects we could release it with the hope that it would circulate and drive out delta. But this variant is not A.1, it's not infective enough. (Also, this is close to mad scientist territory: there is a possibility of a recombination event in a double infected person resulting in an omega variant with the effects of delta but higher infectivity.)
  2. If we had a virus variant with low infectivity and low effects we could directly infect people, but it would not circulate. At that point this mild virus is a vaccine. One of the primary virtues of the current vaccines is that they were available quickly, it is likely that at some point we will have better vaccines. Perhaps an attenuated virus vaccine will work better. But is will not be A.1, it's too deadly and we can almost certainly select or engineer a more appropriate strain. There are many labeled variants you've never heard of and multitudes that have not been numbered because they do not spread or cause disease.
  3. If delta was entirely eliminated then perhaps you could release a virus with low effects and any infectivity. But again A.1 would not be my choice, and delta is not going to be eliminated, so you can't get there from here.

A rejigged vaccine might be a start — one more effective against the delta variant. It might even reduce the viral load, hence R0, hence the herd immunity threshold.

The formula for calculating the herd immunity threshold from R0 is a simple one. However, the susceptibility of the human population is far from simple. The people most susceptible will typically get infected (and acquire some immunity) first. If, say, R0 is 8, herd immunity could be achieved with far fewer than 7/8 of the population immune.* Vaccinations are not distributed equally among the different age groups and this may have a similar effect.

*This is, of course, an extreme simplification. Infection does not give 100% immunity, and there is some prior immunity. This is a simplified argument provided for the purpose of putting forward a point.

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 2nd, 2021, 11:37 am

pje16 wrote:I had quite a bad cold last week - seemed to last a day or two longer than the normal cold
sore throat, runny nose, (could still smell the vinegar bottle :lol: )
I know my own body, it was a cold NOT Covid

Covid symptoms range from nothing to death.

Here is the current ranking of COVID symptoms after 2 vaccinations:

Headache
Runny nose
Sneezing
Sore throat
Loss of smell

The previous ‘traditional’ symptoms as still outlined on the government website, such as anosmia (loss of smell), shortness of breath and fever rank way down the list, at 5, 29 and 12 respectively. A persistent cough now ranks at number 8 if you’ve had two vaccine doses, so is no longer the top indicator of having COVID.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/new-top-5-covid-symptoms

Covid can be just a cold.

Julian F. G. W.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 2nd, 2021, 12:38 pm

jfgw wrote:...
The formula for calculating the herd immunity threshold from R0 is a simple one. However, the susceptibility of the human population is far from simple. The people most susceptible will typically get infected (and acquire some immunity) first. If, say, R0 is 8, herd immunity could be achieved with far fewer than 7/8 of the population immune.* Vaccinations are not distributed equally among the different age groups and this may have a similar effect.

*This is, of course, an extreme simplification. Infection does not give 100% immunity, and there is some prior immunity. This is a simplified argument provided for the purpose of putting forward a point.

How do we work out R0 for these new variants?

As I understand it R is the currently observed behaviour but R0 is a more basic property of a virus, namely its R value in a naïve (to the virus) population. My confusion is that with many (most? all?) of the post-wild-strain variants e.g. Delta, although there are plenty of break-through infections, vaccines and past infections with a different variant gives at least some level of immunity against the newer variant. Surely that means that we are never observing these new variants encountering a genuinely naïve population?

Is it a case of measuring the current R value of a new variant, taking a best estimate of the attenuating effects of things like vaccination and/or previous infection (from any strain) within the population specifically against that new variant(*), and then using that attenuation factor to reverse engineer an R0 for a new strain? Or is it the case that for any SARS-CoV-2 new variant now no one really bothers with R0 and instead looks at the current R number in a population of interest? Or some other answer I hadn't thought of?

- Julian

(*) Effectively giving a measure of how far from genuine naivety to the new variant a specific population is,

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 3rd, 2021, 1:41 am

Julian wrote:Is it a case of measuring the current R value of a new variant, taking a best estimate of the attenuating effects of things like vaccination and/or previous infection (from any strain) within the population specifically against that new variant(*), and then using that attenuation factor to reverse engineer an R0 for a new strain?

Yes that's pretty much how I've seen it done

They look at what's observed for period
- compensate for the known factors/mitigations in place
- and extrapolate backwards

It's not exactly like working out an intercept as there are a few dimensions involved but it's similar in a way

- sd

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » September 4th, 2021, 1:57 pm

Just a few thoughts about the JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination & Immunisation)decision yesterday not to recommend that 12-17 year olds get the jab.
(Decided to post here because I'm commenting more on their approach than on the detailed modelling used, but happy for this to be shifted to the Modelling discussion if that seems more appropriate).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ugust-2021

Their full (though short) report is in the link above, but the report looks pretty flimsy to me, and to be honest, what you'd write if you were desperately trying to find evidence to support your pre-existing view. Several reasons why I think this.

We know that most Western countries are vaccinating children, so for any report that doesn't recommend this, there should be an explanation of why the UK's JCVI stands alone and has come to a different conclusion to other JCVI-like bodies in other countries. Are these other countries wrong, do they have insufficient data, or do they use different assumptions? This report completely ignores this crucial point.

The report says
The incidence of severe outcomes from COVID-19 in children and young people is very low.In England, between February 2020 and March 2021 inclusive, fewer than 30 persons aged less than 18 years died because of COVID-19, corresponding to a mortality rate of 2 deaths per million

This is just plain wrong - there's no other way to say it.

Firstly, to get 2 deaths per million, you need to divide the 30 deaths by the population of all those aged 0-19 which assumes that all children have had Covid. That's what a mortality rate is - of those who get infected, how many die.

Secondly, we already know that the younger you are, the less likely you are to be badly affected by Covid. The JCVI is supposed to be looking at the impacts on 12-17 year olds, so why include 0-11 year olds in their calculation? If you assumed deaths would be mostly in teenagers, than the JCVI deaths/million goes up by 50% or so, from 2 to 3. The only logical reason for including 0-11 year olds in the figures is to minimise the issue.

Thirdly, just click on the hyperlink in the JCVI report that says "corresponding to a mortality rate of 2 deaths per million". Immediately below the title and list of authors you see this -
This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

Should not be used to guide clinical practice.
But it's somehow good enough to be quoted by the JCVI on whether to vaccinate 12-17 year olds? Is there some semantics here where "clinical practice" is different from "vaccination"?

Fourthly, even if we assume it's fine and dandy to use a report that says "don't use this report", the time period is Feb20-Mar21 when most children contracting Covid would have got the original Wuhan strain, or possibly the more contagious Alpha variant, but definitely not the current Delta variant. (Don't forget children were taken out of school after just 1 day back after Christmas so weren't mixing between Jan21-Mar21). Delta is the relevant strain of interest because that's now our dominant strain.

The report talks about vaccine side-effects adversely affecting the heart (myocarditis and pericarditis). It doesn't mention the incidence of these heart-related issues for people getting Covid. (Guess what, a Covid-infected child is a lot more likely to get these heart-related problems than a vaccinated child).

The report talks about effect on children's education. It only considers adverse reaction to vaccinations as a reason for a child's education being disrupted, so doesn't mention the disruption on education if a child gets Covid.

This quote below is interesting about their principles for decision-making, basically saying risk/benefit to children is solely about their individual outcomes, so (for example) them carrying the infection to their family members would have no negative effect on the children.

I was also struck by the last sentence about the UK public's view on risk/benefit for children. While their statement is almost certainly true, I can't for the life of me see why that should influence policy - I expect the UK public would probably place more value on the lives of photogenic kids rather than ugly kids, but that's not a rational basis for health policy.
(As a sidenote, back in the 60's, nobody asked for my consent when giving me a sugar lump with a polio vaccine, even though polio cases were very low, presumably pursuing the madcap idea of zero-polio, and now of course it's been eradicated.)

When formulating advice in relation to childhood immunisations, JCVI has consistently held that the main focus of its decision should be the benefit to children and young people themselves, weighed against any potential harms from vaccination to children and young people. In providing its advice, JCVI also recognises that in relation to childhood immunisation programmes, the UK public places a higher relative value on safety compared to benefits

I agree with the JCVI's statement below. Just wonder why they haven't done it?

In all instances, the offer of vaccination to children and young people must be accompanied by appropriate information to enable children and young people, and those with parental responsibility, to be adequately appraised of the potential harms and benefits of vaccination as part of informed consent prior to vaccination.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 4th, 2021, 3:00 pm

zico wrote:The report says
The incidence of severe outcomes from COVID-19 in children and young people is very low.In England, between February 2020 and March 2021 inclusive, fewer than 30 persons aged less than 18 years died because of COVID-19, corresponding to a mortality rate of 2 deaths per million

Firstly, to get 2 deaths per million, you need to divide the 30 deaths by the population of all those aged 0-19 which assumes that all children have had Covid. That's what a mortality rate is - of those who get infected, how many die.

If the term "mortality rate" has that very specific and technical meaning then you may be correct about that. However I do not think that is the way most people assess the risk. Rather they relate the risk of death to the total population regardless of how many cases there are. Part of the reason for that is that there is no real way to know how many cases there have been anyway, only detected cases. They then may adjust that up or down according to age and general health.

So the way I look at this is that, for all age groups, there have been 133,000 or so deaths from Covid in the UK, out of a population of 67,000,000. That is .1985 of one percent. Call that 1 in 500, or 2,000 in a million.

So it follows that the death rate (let me use that term rather than mortality rate if the latter has a narrow technical meaning) would be less than that for anyone below the average age of the population. And for those under 25 it becomes fairly trivial, although not zero.

Personally I feel fairly comfortable with a 1 in 500 risk. Whilst a 1 in 5,000 or 1 in 50,000 risk is probably something I accept in a number of other areas of my life. So the death rate amongst the young does not have to be anywhere near as low as 2 in a million for it to be legitimately ignored by that demographic.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » September 4th, 2021, 6:55 pm

zico wrote:
The report says

Here's a bunch of definitions from the CDC

CDC wrote:Mortality rate
A mortality rate is a measure of the frequency of occurrence of death in a defined population during a specified interval.

Deaths occurring during a given time period divided by Size of the population among which
the deaths occurred

Cause-specific mortality rate
The cause-specific mortality rate is the mortality rate from a specified cause for a population. The numerator is the number of deaths attributed to a specific cause. The denominator remains the size of the population at the midpoint of the time period.
Age-specific mortality rate
An age-specific mortality rate is a mortality rate limited to a particular age group. The numerator is the number of deaths in that age group; the denominator is the number of persons in that age group in the population. In the United States in 2003, a total of 130,761 deaths occurred among persons aged 25–44 years, or an age-specific mortality rate of 153.0 per 100,000 25–44 year olds.(8) Some specific types of age-specific mortality rates are neonatal, postneonatal, and infant mortality rates, as described in the following sections.
Case-fatality rate
The case-fatality rate is the proportion of persons with a particular condition (cases) who die from that condition.

Number of cause-specific deaths among the incident cases divided by Total number of incident cases

(Some formatting has been changed to match the medium, hopefully I have not changed any semantics)

The reports use of mortality rate is consistent with that used by the CDC, or rather the cause-specific mortality rate, but I think in the context the cause can be assumed without the need for verbosity. What you are referring to would be the case-fatality rate.

It does seem that the case-fatality rate is more relevant here, but is hard to know because the number of symptomless infections is unknown. I have seen estimated ranging from "almost nobody" to "almost everybody". Good random sampling surveillance would be useful, but apparently that would be unethical.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » September 4th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Lootman wrote:If the term "mortality rate" has that very specific and technical meaning then you may be correct about that. However I do not think that is the way most people assess the risk. Rather they relate the risk of death to the total population regardless of how many cases there are. Part of the reason for that is that there is no real way to know how many cases there have been anyway, only detected cases. They then may adjust that up or down according to age and general health.

So the way I look at this is that, for all age groups, there have been 133,000 or so deaths from Covid in the UK, out of a population of 67,000,000. That is .1985 of one percent. Call that 1 in 500, or 2,000 in a million.

So it follows that the death rate (let me use that term rather than mortality rate if the latter has a narrow technical meaning) would be less than that for anyone below the average age of the population. And for those under 25 it becomes fairly trivial, although not zero.

Personally I feel fairly comfortable with a 1 in 500 risk. Whilst a 1 in 5,000 or 1 in 50,000 risk is probably something I accept in a number of other areas of my life. So the death rate amongst the young does not have to be anywhere near as low as 2 in a million for it to be legitimately ignored by that demographic.

Actually, your way is correct, "mortality rate" is as you define it (deaths / population). I was thinking about IFR (Infection Fatality Rates) which is (infections/ deaths).

I see your general reasoning, but for me, whether I want to change my behaviour to avoid something is not just a case of whether I'll die or not, it's more about whether it'll cause me some kind of significant permanent damage. I'd suggest a good proxy for that is hospitalisation from Covid, because if it affects you that badly, that involves quite a bit of immediate suffering plus a fair chance of some permanent weakening.
(A good analogy for the acceptable risk might be malaria, which rarely kills, but often gives permanent weakness. Most people are pretty concerned about that to the extent that they wouldn't choose to holiday in a malaria-ridden area, or would at the very least take lots of precautions if they visited.)

At the moment, hospitalisations are about 8 times the level of deaths, so I'd suggest the chances of "pretty nasty stuff" happening to you are about 1 in 500/8 (so 1 in 60). Of course, this differs massively depending on age (and obviously vaccination status).

For someone aged 60-69 the mortality rate is about 1 in 400, whereas for aged 50-59 is more like 1 in 1,200.
Chances of "seriously bad stuff happening" are around 1 in 50 for people aged 60-60, and for age 50-59 it's about 1 in 150.
(If you're the sort of person who doesn't take Covid precautions, your chances of bad things happening will be quite a bit higher).

Of course, crucially, if you aren't vaccinated and mix with lots of other people who aren't vaccinated, your chances of being infected are much higher. It's pretty clear that the chances of being seriously harmed by Covid is a lot higher than the chances of being seriously harmed by the vaccine, and this logic also works for children. There's a tiny risk of the vaccination harming them, and about 3-4 times the chances of being harmed by Covid if they aren't vaccinated.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » September 5th, 2021, 8:23 pm

I also noted the news report on this compared "death rates from covid" (2/M), with "side effects from vaccine" 60/M in boys, 8/M in girls. but then went on to say "side effects are usually quite mild". I assume that's from the report too? If so, it's a pretty useless comparison.

I'm guessing that despite the considerable statistical evidence, the authors just can't bring themselves to say "vaccinate girls and not boys". Not a politically acceptable answer to big swathes of the population.

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 8th, 2021, 7:22 pm

Interesting point of note in today's More Or Less on Radio 4. Of the much-mooted budget of £37 billion for Track & Trace, less than £1 billion has been spent on contact tracing.

(Most of the £37 billion hasn't been spent yet, it's a budget. And the majority so far has been spent on testing.)

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 10th, 2021, 7:51 am

Last night I took part in a super spreader event!

Two weeks ago my daughter went to Reading festival, it had been a reward she had given herself after a few long months working in the front line in her hospitality job in London. She had done most of this unvaccinated, as a 23 year old not being able to get fully vaxxed until a month ago. She has been working 13 hour shifts and 70 hours a week since they are grossly understaffed at work, having had many employees not return after furlough and then losing many employees every week to covid or the pingdemic.

We had also been due to take a three day break in Paris together last week. So we took our pre travel covid tests last Tuesday and she was positive! She is now in her last day of isolation having been stuck at our house since then. We have all been self testing at home and she had her first clear test two days ago while Mrs RS and I have remained testing negative.

So she had booked to see Russell Brand but couldn't go so I decided not to waste the tickets and went on my own. With the ticket information was the reassuring message:
In line with the latest government guidance, we have put numerous measures in place across our venues to ensure that we continue to remain Covid-19 secure. Please take the time to understand these measures before attending our venues to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our audiences, staff, and artists.

Please wear face coverings (unless exempt). To help us to keep each other safe we are continuing to ask our audiences to wear a face covering at all times unless eating or drinking. Our staff will continue to wear face coverings
We strongly encourage all audience members to check in via QR code NHS Test & Trace or provide contact details on arrival
To help protect other audience members and our staff, please continue to maintain a safe social distance when queuing and moving around our venues. Please keep to the left and limit your movement around the venue.

When I arrived, all staff were wearing masks, and I would say about 10% or fewer of the audience were masked. We sat down and an announcement was made that everyone should continue to wear their mask for the duration of the show...laugh!

As for social distancing, how is that even possible in a theatre setting anyway? It was a full house and people were obviously just moving normally.

The thing that got me though was at the interval, when Russell B graciously (or stupidly) invited anyone who wished to come to the front of the stage to have a chat and a selfie. He must have hugged and kissed at least one hundred people in the 20 minute interval. He joked after the interval of causing the next super spreader event and being responsible for the next variant.

This was the start of his tour, it will be interesting to see how long he manages before testing positive, who knows maybe he has been double vaxxed and had covid already and is therefor triple protected but I assume he could still spread it.

John

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » September 10th, 2021, 7:56 pm

"Dramatic Increase in ED Corridor Care and Ambulance Hand-over Delays"
"Half of UK emergency departments (EDs) were forced to treat patients in corridors every day last month, according to the latest Royal College of Emergency Medicine (RCEM) snapshot survey. The figure is a massive hike from the 14.5% recorded in March 2021, and suggests a worrying increase in overcrowding."

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/95 ... 9_MSCPEDIT

Julian F. G. W.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » September 12th, 2021, 12:11 pm

swill453 wrote:Interesting point of note in today's More Or Less on Radio 4. Of the much-mooted budget of £37 billion for Track & Trace, less than £1 billion has been spent on contact tracing.

(Most of the £37 billion hasn't been spent yet, it's a budget. And the majority so far has been spent on testing.)

Scott.

Most of it hasn't been spent? So many ways that could be reallocated.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 12th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Unless they improve it, anymore spent on Track & Trace is a complete waste :roll:

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 12th, 2021, 4:02 pm

pje16 wrote:Unless they improve it, anymore spent on Track & Trace is a complete waste :roll:

"Track and Trace" isn't a thing. It's "Test and Trace". Tracking and Tracing are basically the same word.

(It's important and not pedantic, because as I pointed out above, it's the Test part that's used up the most money.)

EDIT: Just realised that I used "Track & Trace" myself in my post above, so it's easily done :-) apologies.)

Scott.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 13th, 2021, 2:23 pm

Looks like vaccination of 12 - 15 year olds is going ahead in all 4 UK nations....

Children aged 12 to 15 will be given Covid vaccinations, the UK’s four chief medical officers have decided, setting aside the view of the government’s vaccine watchdog that the clinical benefits of such jabs were too minimal to justify them.

[ Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -covid-jab ]

As far as vaccination policy goes in the UK there's still the uncertainty about booster shot eligibility to be resolved. I hear that Boris is doing a press conference tomorrow afternoon so maybe we will get the answer to that then.

- Julian

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 13th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Track and Trace , Test and Trace, whatever it's called seems pointless
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57186059
Yes I know the date of the story is May

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”