Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What are the covid rules now?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Mike4
Lemon Half

What are the covid rules now?

Postby Mike4 » July 24th, 2022, 3:34 pm

I been feeling a bit rough this last two or three days, like a heavy cold, so I idly did a LFT and flippin' 'eck, it came out positive! My first ever LFT positive despite having what I'm convinced has been covid at least twice over the last year or so but never a positive test result despite taking many.

Anyway now I have a positive result I realise I have no idea what rules are in force, if any, regarding self-isolating etc. Does anyone know please?

Thanks...

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: What are the covid rules now?

Postby pje16 » July 24th, 2022, 5:09 pm

There are no longer rules in force
but if you are a decent human being you will stay well from others until you test negative
as there is no telling until you catch it how anyone is going the re-act, it ranges from next to nothing to death
hope you feel better soon Mike
from memory you are out on the road a lot so as long as you feel ok I don't see too much harm in working (if you want to)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 24th, 2022, 5:34 pm

What to do if you've tested positive for COVID-19

If you have COVID-19, you can pass on the virus to other people for up to 10 days from when your infection starts. Many people will no longer be infectious to others after 5 days.

You should:

• try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days
  • avoiding meeting people at higher risk from COVID-19 for 10 days, especially if their immune system means they’re at higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19, even if they’ve had a COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 24th, 2022, 5:44 pm

mc2fool wrote:What to do if you've tested positive for COVID-19

If you have COVID-19, you can pass on the virus to other people for up to 10 days from when your infection starts. Many people will no longer be infectious to others after 5 days.

You should:

• try to stay at home and avoid contact with other people for 5 days
  • avoiding meeting people at higher risk from COVID-19 for 10 days, especially if their immune system means they’re at higher risk of serious illness from COVID-19, even if they’ve had a COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/

The use of words like "try" and "should" there tell me that these are guidelines rather than rules.

My understanding was as pje16 stated, that there are no longer any rules, in the sense of there being legal consequences for failing to follow this advice. But could there be a civil liability if you knowingly mix with people after testing positive, and thereby infect them?

That said the two people I know who tested positive for Covid this last week, and who both have symptoms, are staying home from work. I suspect most employers would insist on that.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 24th, 2022, 5:58 pm

Lootman wrote:That said the two people I know who tested positive for Covid this last week, and who both have symptoms, are staying home from work. I suspect most employers would insist on that.

My employer does, you need to test 2 negative for 2 consecutive days before returning to the office
I readily agree with that and would stay in until I tested as mentioned

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 24th, 2022, 6:08 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Anyway now I have a positive result I realise I have no idea what rules are in force, if any, regarding self-isolating etc. Does anyone know please?

No rules, it's down to you, and your employer, just like with other (infectious) health conditions such as the common cold, or other corona or rhinoviruses.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 24th, 2022, 6:27 pm

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

No rules, it's down to you, and your employer, just like with other (infectious) health conditions such as the common cold, or other corona or rhinoviruses.

My employer, lol!

I've been my employer for getting on for 45 years now.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 24th, 2022, 6:29 pm

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

My employer, lol!

I've been my employer for getting on for 45 years now.

Then you should have a good idea of what rules he imposes on you and what he expects. My answer was to the general question of what the rules are, and how they might affect everyone, not just you. With that answer you, and others, know what is expected from a legal perspective.

You can now decide what you are going to do about it, as can others.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 24th, 2022, 6:51 pm

pje16 wrote:There are no longer rules in force
but if you are a decent human being you will stay well from others until you test negative
as there is no telling until you catch it how anyone is going the re-act, it ranges from next to nothing to death
hope you feel better soon Mike
from memory you are out on the road a lot so as long as you feel ok I don't see too much harm in working (if you want to)

I would hope that anyone servicing my boiler would not do so when he knows he has tested positive and for say a week thereafter.

Dod

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » July 24th, 2022, 8:26 pm

At my work, people who have had covid have taken time off for a few days and then masked up for a few days. Plus some people have had cold/covid symptoms, but tested negative. They masked up and kept testing. Some stayed negative and stopped wearing a mask when symptoms eased. Others tested positive after a couple of days of symptoms and took time off.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”