Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Covid-19: Actual experience(s)

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Covid-19: Actual experience(s)

Postby Newroad » December 28th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Hi All.

Not sure if such a thread has been posted elsewhere? In case not, our experience below.

The family: me early 50's (not at all fit, but went for a bike ride most days during lock-down) wife late 40's (quite fit), child 1 mid-teens, child 2 pre-teen. The first three of us were formally positive, the fourth didn't show symptoms and wasn't tested. The relevant period - early through mid December.

Me:
    Day's 1-3: Feel pretty rough, but not quite as bad as the two times I've had the flu before. I was able to make dinner on the Day 2, but otherwise, spent most of the time on the sofa watching TV. Probably had first signs late Day 0 (small cough developed)
    Day 4: Lost sense of smell with taste consequently being affected/lost, hence ...
    Day 5: ... tested
    Day 6: Positive result confirmed
    Days 7-11: Generally a little worse - weak, tight chest, occasional (but not persistent) cough, breathless after climbing the stairs. Not really able to concentrate for any sustained period and often seemed to have dull head pains. Got into a rhythm of getting up in the morning, eating cereal (wasn't hungry) and sitting up watching TV during the morning. Then ate vegetable soup and an apple for lunch (still wasn't hungry) then went back to bed for most of the afternoon. Had something modest for dinner (still wasn't hungry) then sat up and watched TV in the evening. Went to bed relatively early for me
    Days 12-13: First signs of recovery, general weakness started to lift. Started to get some sense of smell and taste back
    Day 14: Chest tightness went - no longer breathless after climbing the stairs
    Day 15: Arguably recovered, at least within realms of normality on most levels

Child 1: (Days as per my timeline, so relatively delayed onset)
    Day 3-4: First symptoms, just mildly under the weather
    Day 5: Tested (wouldn't have taken them standalone, but with my symptoms, seemed prudent)
    Day 6: Positive result confirmed, but starting to feel better
    Day 7: Arguably recovered as per the above

Wife: (Days as per my timeline, so relatively delayed onset)
    Day 5: First symptoms, milder than mine but worse than Child 1
    Day 6: Tested
    Day 8: Positive result confirmed
    Days 9-12: Generally feeling poorly and energy went quickly. No loss of smell or taste and no particular chest tightening
    Day 13: Arguably recovered as per the above

We all observed at least the minimum isolation periods (I observed more just in case, due to my symptoms lingering longer) which changed from 14 to 10 days during the period.

I took Paracetamol for a fair portion of the overall period (three times per day) and I measured my temperature each time before taking it. It never reached 38C and for much of the time was within the normal range. Two or three nights I woke drenched in a cold sweat in the morning though, which was odd in context.

I think getting up for the morning and evening helped as did forcing down some food. Also, on occasion, if my chest felt tight/uncomfortable, I "squatted" chest down on a decent size ottoman pouffe for a period, which seemed to help. In general, I think the body being vertical or chest down and varying between them was a good thing.

I hope you all avoid it, it's not much fun, but if you do get it, I hope the above is of some help and/or reassurance.

Regards, Newroad

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Covid-19: Actual experience(s)

Postby stevensfo » December 28th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Those symptoms are almost identical to those of a work colleague who had Covid, apart from his being rather shorter than yours. Mid-50s, quite overweight and not very fit. His biggest fear was when he started to have trouble breathing, but wasn't judged ill enough to require hospital treatment. I sometimes have asthma and can imagine how scary it must feel for someone not used to it. From what I remember of our conversation, the main bout of feeling definitely ill lasted about a week. His wife had milder symptoms and his youngest son (8yo) was fine, despite testing positive as well. Curiously, his second son (12) tested negative and was fine. I find it very hard to believe, since they all live in an apartment. Maybe he was a false negative and just asymptomatic.

The lower than expected temperature makes me wonder just how many people have had it without realising.

Anyway, the guy was bouncing around at work (mask, distancing etc!), back to normal, and it doesn't seem to have affected his appetite or crude sense of humour in any way. ;)

Glad to hear you're all okay.

Steve

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 28th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Thanks, Steve.

Yes, sounds quite similar on many levels.

I never felt I was borderline not being able to breathe adequately, other than briefly at the top of the stairs, but I also got the sense I wasn't that far away from it either on occasion (that was often when I changed positions to the ottoman pouffe, which seemed to help). I recalled reading about how hospitals had learned from the first wave how to treat symptoms better (as in hospital, your default position is angled on your back, which was and isn't optimal for a typically respiratory issue such as Covid-19).

I had asthma as a child, so can vaguely recall what that feels like - but interestingly, my wife had quite bad asthma which only moderated well into adulthood.

Regards, Newroad

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 28th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Newroad wrote:
I hope you all avoid it, it's not much fun, but if you do get it, I hope the above is of some help and/or reassurance.

Newroad, thank you for sharing and glad to read of your recovery.

If I may ask, are you able to put your finger on most likely root cause ie. how/where/when you contracted it?

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 28th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Hi Moorfield.

Four main possibilities

1. From Child 2 via school (they had only just returned from a school class imposed lockdown when I got it). However, if this was the route, it was slow onset, around two weeks, so I am inclined to discount it as the vector
    2. Shopping - the only of which I did was at the local Waitrose once or twice a week and I observed the best hygiene practical - but as we all know, that's not foolproof
    3. Getting my car serviced while I waited - in fairness, there was only two of us waiting, and as there were no salesmen due to lockdown, I had one of their desks (where I plugged in my computer etc) which was a long way from anyone else
    4. Getting some stitches removed at my local doctors surgery, but the nurse who did it seemed to observe all the needed safety precautions

My guess is one of 2, 3 or 4, as they each occurred 5 days before the onset of symptoms, i.e. Day -5 as per my previous timeline.

I suppose via Child 1 and school is also a possibility - it could have been their early symptoms were so mild they weren't noticed and were perhaps before mine.

Regards, Newroad

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 28th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Moorfield.

Four main possibilities

1. From Child 2 via school (they had only just returned from a school class imposed lockdown when I got it). However, if this was the route, it was slow onset, around two weeks, so I am inclined to discount it as the vector
    2. Shopping - the only of which I did was at the local Waitrose once or twice a week and I observed the best hygiene practical - but as we all know, that's not foolproof
    3. Getting my car serviced while I waited - in fairness, there was only two of us waiting, and as there were no salesmen due to lockdown, I had one of their desks (where I plugged in my computer etc) which was a long way from anyone else
    4. Getting some stitches removed at my local doctors surgery, but the nurse who did it seemed to observe all the needed safety precautions

My guess is one of 2, 3 or 4, as they each occurred 5 days before the onset of symptoms, i.e. Day -5 as per my previous timeline.

I suppose via Child 1 and school is also a possibility - it could have been their early symptoms were so mild they weren't noticed and were perhaps before mine.

Regards, Newroad

Thank you, interesting you didn't mention Child 2 had symptoms or was tested on your first post?

I've seen plenty of people "partially" wearing masks in supermarkets, ie. they might as well not be. And doctors surgeries are full of unwell people before you walk in ... Those two possibilities might well come from "airborne" transmission.
Last edited by moorfield on December 28th, 2020, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 28th, 2020, 10:55 pm

That's correct, Moorfield.

Child 2 never exhibited any symptoms.

One of their classmates was positive just over two weeks before, so their class had to self-isolate for two weeks. They went back to school around Day 3 on my timeline (only to be made to self-isolate again before my positive test result came through due to another classmate then testing positive).

On shopping (and in the car dealership and doctor's surgery) I always wore a mask over mouth and nose. In addition, I used the sterile handwash when shopping both on my hands and the trolley. However, masks are mostly to protect other people - as you say, some form of airborne transmission in an enclosed space is quite possible.

Regards, Newroad

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 29th, 2020, 7:47 am

Newroad,

My symptoms and evolution of sickness similar to yours. Not as much coughing as I expected but the big difference is for the first seven days I had horrible joint pain and very sensitive skin (like sunburn). I took 2 paracetamol a day -- to ensure I got to sleep properly, and when feeling maximum discomfort in the daytime.

12 days in I still have a mild cough and lungs don't feel right at all, low energy levels.

GS

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 29th, 2020, 10:07 am

stevensfo wrote: Curiously, his second son (12) tested negative and was fine. I find it very hard to believe, since they all live in an apartment. Maybe he was a false negative and just asymptomatic.

It's possible, but also some people just don't appear to get it (yet it always seems to be assumed that 100% can).

I know of 3 nurses who tested positive (none with any signs) that had to self-isolate. Before the positive test result, taken as part of work protocols, they were sharing a house with their family, and a bed with the husband. In all 3 cases no-one else in the family subsequently developed symptoms or tested positive.

Now, of course, it could be a case of a combination of false positive and false negative test results, and this was in wave 1 when testing was presumably less accurate, but that's quite a combination for that to be the entire story.

If you think about the R number, and what that means, there is a suggestion the virus isn't as easy to catch as many think. The R has consistently been reported between 1 and 2, and the infection period of between 7 and 14 days. So if you consider all the interactions an infected person potentially has (especially the asymptomatic ones) over that 7-14 day period, yet on average they pass it on to less than 2 people.

To return to the stricter demands of the thread, we have a family considered "best friends" (the children are like cousins to each other) the father has tested positive, initially isolating from the family, but now confined to bed. The oldest child has heart problems, and seriously worried. Her mental health is as big a concern for the family as the potential physical health outcomes of them all.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 29th, 2020, 10:25 am

Hi GS.

Hopefully you'll start recovering soon!

If it is anything like me, there'll be no warning - I was wondering to myself if it was going to end - it will just start to improve one day without rhyme nor reason.

I've read things like days 5-9 or days 7-10 are the riskiest, so now that you're through that approximate period, if you rest up etc, it should be just a matter of time.

[Dealtn] There is also the timeline consideration, especially if the tests were a bit iffy early on - might have tested just before becoming positive (or positive enough) or just after - especially if school rather than the nurses' work were actually the vector. That is relevant in my case - the timeline suggests I was the index case in my household, but because of children often being only mildly or asymptomatic, that may not have actually been the case.

Regards, Newroad

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 29th, 2020, 10:42 am

My two nieces, in their twenties, both had it, one with mild symptoms and one with none. They were living with their parents, in their fifties, and neither of their parents caught it*.

They were taking some precautions, but sharing a kitchen and other common areas in the house.

(* - They were tested themselves some days after their daughters. I suppose there's an outside chance they later had it asymptomatically. They haven't had antibody tests.)

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 29th, 2020, 11:14 am

Newroad wrote:Hi Moorfield.

Four main possibilities

Regards, Newroad

As I understand it, we have to consider not only that we might be exposed to infection at all, but also the length of time we are exposed for. Ventilation is the big aspect broadly overlooked at the moment, lots of air changes per hour are good but Building regulations focus on keeping the air changes down to a specified low number of changes per hour for environmental efficiency purposes. Sitting in a badly ventilated room with an infected person for a long time is more likely to result in you getting infected than being in the same room for a short period.

Air conditioning in say, a supermarket or car showroom is bad news too, as it collects contaminated air and evenly re-distributes it so everyone gets their fair share of infected air, and the longer you stay in such an airspace the more likely you are to get infected. So taking care to notice whether a premises is air conditioned and/or well ventilated with fresh air strikes me as a Really Good Idea, and not hanging about in places with lots of people, all the doors shut and air conditioning running. My money is on you having caught it in Waitrose.

Hope you recover soon.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 29th, 2020, 12:41 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi GS.

Hopefully you'll start recovering soon!

If it is anything like me, there'll be no warning - I was wondering to myself if it was going to end - it will just start to improve one day without rhyme nor reason.

I've read things like days 5-9 or days 7-10 are the riskiest, so now that you're through that approximate period, if you rest up etc, it should be just a matter of time.

[Dealtn] There is also the timeline consideration, especially if the tests were a bit iffy early on - might have tested just before becoming positive (or positive enough) or just after - especially if school rather than the nurses' work were actually the vector. That is relevant in my case - the timeline suggests I was the index case in my household, but because of children often being only mildly or asymptomatic, that may not have actually been the case.

Regards, Newroad

3 families, 13 people, tested more than once. Just saying it's possible to share a house with someone positive and not catch it, as appears to be the case of one of the children in the OP.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm

I have mentioned it before, in our testing experience it has not been at all unusual for one member of a family to get covid while others remain both unsymptomatic and lacking in specific antibodies.

I'd not be surprised if the proportion of non susceptible people was around 25%.

John

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » December 29th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Hi Dealtn.

Child 2 in the original post remains of indeterminate historic status - they were never tested - as no symptoms were ever exhibited.

So it could be true they never caught it, but equally, they may have caught it and have been asymptomatic - which I understand to not be uncommon in the pre-teen age group. Indeed, as postulated but considered unlikely (by me) they may have been the one to introduce it to the household!

Regards, Newroad

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 29th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Dealtn.

Child 2 in the original post remains of indeterminate historic status - they were never tested - as no symptoms were ever exhibited.

So it could be true they never caught it, but equally, they may have caught it and have been asymptomatic - which I understand to not be uncommon in the pre-teen age group. Indeed, as postulated but considered unlikely (by me) they may have been the one to introduce it to the household!

Regards, Newroad

Not sure I ever said they couldn't have caught it.

I merely replied to someone (not you) that expressed they found it "hard to believe" it were possible to live in the same apartment and for this to be the case.

I know of 3 similar examples, and the fact the R number has remained below 2 throughout, when the average dwelling size is larger than that, as evidence it is possible. It shouldn't be hard to believe it possible.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » December 30th, 2020, 11:29 am

stevensfo wrote: Curiously, his second son (12) tested negative and was fine. I find it very hard to believe, since they all live in an apartment. Maybe he was a false negative and just asymptomatic.

Steve

A colleague had COVID quite badly - she's asthmatic. Two positive tests a day apart.
Sleeps in the same bed as her hypochondriac husband.
No symptoms but he got tested a few times anyway. Nothing! Negative all 3 times.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » January 2nd, 2021, 10:27 am

Our cleaner spent 20 days in hospital with Covid. Neither husband nor 2 children in the same small flat ever had symptoms or tested positive.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”