Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Antiviral drug for Covid?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Dod101
The full Lemon

Antiviral drug for Covid?

Postby Dod101 » January 5th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Do any of the readers of this Board know whether anyone is trying to find an anti viral drug against Coronavirus? How likely is this? How quickly could it be found?

The whole emphasis seems to be on a vaccine which for all I know is the best way to go but surely trying to tackle it in the same way as we have successful antibiotics against bacteria (including broad spectrum ones) must be worth a go?

Dod

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Re: Antiviral drug for Covid?

Postby Eboli » January 6th, 2021, 4:39 am

Hi Dod,

There is research into the reasons why some HIV anti-retrovirals commonly prescribed might lower hospitalisations from COVID-19 as suggested by one Spanish study:

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/full/10.7326/M20-3689

And I know there has been one study that suggests a similar line of HIV drugs did protect against SAR-CoV-2, though I cannot put my finger on it at the moment. So I would be surprised if there isn't ongoing research in this area.

You mention this in the context of antibiotics, thus:

to tackle it [COVID-19] in the same way as we have successful antibiotics against bacteria

whereas it might be argued that modern treatments for HIV are the clearer example of successful use where there is now decades of data of the effects of reducing viral loads.

Eb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 7:44 am

Mention of HIV. I paid little attention to the treatment for it at the time but we hear nothing of HIV these days. Interesting thank you. I will see if I can find out anything more although obviously a vaccination is the immediate way to go.

Dod

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 6th, 2021, 7:59 am

I’ve read that AI is being used to screen candidate molecules: e.g. https://theprint.in/health/drug-candida ... ls/469715/

Just “google” for AI drug candidate search

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm

there are many studies about many antivirals, but the doctors.... among the doctor's leadears, the virus has defensors...

In India, there is a cheap early kit that contains doxicicline.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm

look wrote:there are many studies about many antivirals, but the doctors.... among the doctor's leadears, the virus has defensors...

"Doxycycline: antibiotic to treat bacterial infections - NHS"

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm

XFool wrote:
look wrote:there are many studies about many antivirals, but the doctors.... among the doctor's leadears, the virus has defensors...

"Doxycycline: antibiotic to treat bacterial infections - NHS"

Yes but. There are a number of compounds that are “for” one thing that have, serendipitously, been found useful for another, often completely problem. e.g. tetracycline (an “antibiotic to treat bacterial infections”) has a “side effect” which makes it useful in SIADH. Lithium which is used for bipolar disorder also happens to be excellent for cluster headaches. Bupropion was developed and initially marketed as an antidepressant, & was then found to extinguish cravings for nicotine. Etc.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 6th, 2021, 3:43 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
XFool wrote:"Doxycycline: antibiotic to treat bacterial infections - NHS"

Yes but. There are a number of compounds that are “for” one thing that have, serendipitously, been found useful for another, often completely problem. e.g. tetracycline (an “antibiotic to treat bacterial infections”) has a “side effect” which makes it useful in SIADH. Lithium which is used for bipolar disorder also happens to be excellent for cluster headaches. Bupropion was developed and initially marketed as an antidepressant, & was then found to extinguish cravings for nicotine. Etc.

And the obvious follow-up question is...

Well, not answered here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycycline

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 6th, 2021, 6:13 pm

XFool wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:
XFool wrote:"Doxycycline: antibiotic to treat bacterial infections - NHS"

Yes but. There are a number of compounds that are “for” one thing that have, serendipitously, been found useful for another, often completely different problem. e.g. tetracycline (an “antibiotic to treat bacterial infections”) has a “side effect” which makes it useful in SIADH. Lithium which is used for bipolar disorder also happens to be excellent for cluster headaches. Bupropion was developed and initially marketed as an antidepressant, & was then found to extinguish cravings for nicotine. Etc.

And the obvious follow-up question is...

Well, not answered here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycycline

I didn’t say that doxycycline was any use against sars-cov2, just that the way some drugs work is not always obvious. They can have unsuspected modes of action. I was entirely sceptical of the idea that hydroxychloroquine could have any effect against covid, but it was not something to have a closed mind about.

PS just corrected my earlier text by adding “different”.

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 6th, 2021, 10:36 pm

I did searches and find by the scholar google 6 thousend articles with doxixicline and covid.

Doxy is considered an antibiotic, but nobody can say than an antibiotic can help an antiviral.

I found this in one of the studies:

"In summary, the miraculous effect of combination of Ivermectin and doxycycline in COVID-19
patients is possibly by inhibition of spike-ACE2 interaction and inhibiting RNA dependent RNA
polymerase, ADP Ribose Phosphatase, Endoribonuclease and NSP10-NSP16 complex
mediated methyltransferase activities, anti-viral activity and chelation of the zinc &
immunomodulatory property. Thus, the usage of Ivermectin and doxycycline combination will
be an ideal choice in prevention and management of COVID-19."

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » January 6th, 2021, 10:46 pm

correcting a sentence: nobody can say that an antibiotic can't help an antiviral.

link:

http://itempdf74155353254prod.s3.amazon ... n_C_v1.pdf

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 11:26 pm

This does not seem to have got us very far has it? All I was asking was whether anyone was researching an anti virus drug that could combat Covid 19. Seems not.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 6th, 2021, 11:38 pm

Dod101 wrote:This does not seem to have got us very far has it? All I was asking was whether anyone was researching an anti virus drug that could combat Covid 19. Seems not.

Dod

Antiviral drugs trialled in the early stages of COVID-19
COVID-19 Pandemic: New antiviral drug Molnupiravir claims to block coronavirus infection in 24 hours
Molnupiravir: New antiviral oral drug shown to stop COVID-19 spread in 24 hours

Happy New Year :)

AiY

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » January 7th, 2021, 7:26 am

There was a flurry of excitement last year about remdesivir but I think the end conclusion was that it only slightly reduced the duration of any hospitalisation if at all. If I recall correctly, the WHO ultimately recommended against its use.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52805828

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 7th, 2021, 1:13 pm

look wrote:I did searches and find by the scholar google 6 thousend articles with doxixicline and covid.

Doxy is considered an antibiotic, but nobody can say than an antibiotic can help an antiviral.

I found this in one of the studies:

"In summary, the miraculous effect of combination of Ivermectin and doxycycline in COVID-19
patients is possibly by inhibition of spike-ACE2 interaction and inhibiting RNA dependent RNA
polymerase, ADP Ribose Phosphatase, Endoribonuclease and NSP10-NSP16 complex
mediated methyltransferase activities, anti-viral activity and chelation of the zinc &
immunomodulatory property. Thus, the usage of Ivermectin and doxycycline combination will
be an ideal choice in prevention and management of COVID-19."

So, if you believe in miracles...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 7th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:This does not seem to have got us very far has it? All I was asking was whether anyone was researching an anti virus drug that could combat Covid 19. Seems not.

Dod

They likely are and, if there is any 'breakthrough' on this, I don't doubt we will be hearing about it.

In the meantime, as ever, the Internet stands ready with a copious supply of 'miracle cures' for the believers. (e.g. hydroxychloroquine)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 7th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Two more life-saving Covid drugs discovered

BBC News

Two more life-saving drugs have been found that can cut deaths by a quarter in patients who are sickest with Covid.

"The anti-inflammatory medications, given via a drip, save an extra life for every 12 treated, say researchers who have carried out a trial in NHS intensive care units."

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 8th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Clearly good news.

Technically anti-inflammatories and anti-virals aren't the same thing though.

The latter work on the virus, the former on its effects (or the bodies responses to the virus). Whether that is important, or not, to the OP we don't know.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”