Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

South African Variant

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

South African Variant

Postby redsturgeon » January 6th, 2021, 7:58 am

This has got a few people very worried. It is a significant mutation that spread more easily and has changes to the spike protein meaning it may respond less well to the vaccines.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... 919717.374

John

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: South African Variant

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 6th, 2021, 8:13 am

redsturgeon wrote:This has got a few people very worried. It is a significant mutation that spread more easily and has changes to the spike protein meaning it may respond less well to the vaccines.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... 919717.374

John

The wording is unclear to me:

“Meanwhile, most of us believe that the existing vaccines are likely to work to some extent to reduce infection/ transmission rates and severe disease against both the UK and South African variants – as the various mutations have not altered the S protein shape that the current vaccine induced antibodies will not bind at all.”

I guess they are trying to say that S protein shape which the antibodies bind to, can still be bound to even in the recently discovered SA variants.

?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 6th, 2021, 8:17 am

redsturgeon wrote:This has got a few people very worried. It is a significant mutation that spread more easily and has changes to the spike protein meaning it may respond less well to the vaccines.

you know that feeling when you realise that the "planet of the apes" is actually your planet?

- sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 6th, 2021, 8:24 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:“Meanwhile, most of us believe that the existing vaccines are likely to work to some extent to reduce infection/ transmission rates and severe disease against both the UK and South African variants – as the various mutations have not altered the S protein shape that the current vaccine induced antibodies will not bind at all.”

I guess they are trying to say that S protein shape which the antibodies bind to, can still be bound to even in the recently discovered SA variants.

I presumed on reading that section was missing something along the lines of a "such that" (viz. : " have not altered the S protein shape such that that the current vaccine induced antibodies will not bind at all")

much like when your key gets worn and it might work in the yale lock but it's not a perfect fit, takes a bit of jiggling and sometimes doesn't work on the first go
- rather than the locks have been changed

- sd

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » January 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

servodude wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:“Meanwhile, most of us believe that the existing vaccines are likely to work to some extent to reduce infection/ transmission rates and severe disease against both the UK and South African variants – as the various mutations have not altered the S protein shape that the current vaccine induced antibodies will not bind at all.”

I presumed on reading that section was missing something along the lines of a "such that" (viz. : " have not altered the S protein shape such that that the current vaccine induced antibodies will not bind at all")

much like when your key gets worn and it might work in the yale lock but it's not a perfect fit, takes a bit of jiggling and sometimes doesn't work on the first go
- rather than the locks have been changed

- sd

Yeah, me too. But I failed my first O level at English Language (I got a C in my second attempt) so I wanted to check. Thank you for assisting in my continuous education process :D .

Matt

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2021, 10:58 am

We're being told now of the seasonal element: summer will be better, may need more lockdown next winter.

It's high summer right now in SA, yet they still apparently have a problem!

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”