Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

If Vaccinated Do I need to Stay in Lockdown?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: If Vaccinated Do I need to Stay in Lockdown?

Postby dealtn » January 7th, 2021, 1:59 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
Currently there is a high prevalence in the open so you could easily come into contact with it if you are out and about.

Really?

It depends on your definitions of "open" and "easily" maybe, but I think its quite well recognised it doesn't have a high prevalence, being easily dispersed, in the open, and isn't easy to either come into contact with it or become infected in that way.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm

dealtn wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:
Currently there is a high prevalence in the open so you could easily come into contact with it if you are out and about.

Really?

It depends on your definitions of "open" and "easily" maybe, but I think its quite well recognised it doesn't have a high prevalence, being easily dispersed, in the open, and isn't easy to either come into contact with it or become infected in that way.

Open, as in the community not as, in outdoors. You are allowed out of doors, socially distancing of course, for exercise etc even now. The OP was asking about breaking lockdown rules so that means meeting people in some form or another.

As for "easily" the numbers with it are not falling and are above the initial peak and continue to rise. I wouldn't describe it as "hard" to catch but you are right it is somewhat subjective. Therefore I will stick with easily if you are out and about. How would you describe it.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 7th, 2021, 5:44 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:

Really?

Open, as in the community not as, in outdoors. You are allowed out of doors, socially distancing of course, for exercise etc even now. The OP was asking about breaking lockdown rules so that means meeting people in some form or another.

As for "easily" the numbers with it are not falling and are above the initial peak and continue to rise. I wouldn't describe it as "hard" to catch but you are right it is somewhat subjective. Therefore I will stick with easily if you are out and about. How would you describe it.

OK understood your meaning now, thanks.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 7th, 2021, 6:21 pm

richfool wrote: when cycling or motor biking in city traffic.

But not when in a car?

With traffic pollution, overwhelmingly the most important determinant of how much you breathe is how high off the ground your face is. Both cyclists and motorcyclists sit higher up than car drivers or passengers, so are substantially less exposed to the crap.

Alan1701

Postby Alan1701 » January 9th, 2021, 8:22 am

Dod101 wrote:
richfool wrote:Masks are a lot more common place in the Far East, even when we didn't have covid. People wore them when they had coughs and colds and when cycling or motor biking in city traffic.

When I was in Thailand early last February, (when covid was first about), about 80% of the population seemed to be wearing them (in city like locations), in the street, as well as bank, shop and airport staff. They could well become more common place here.

I too was in the East last January/February, Sri Lanka, Peninsular Malaysia and Perth WA. The only place I saw many people wearing masks was when transiting Singapore Airport. About 50% of those milling around wore them. I can understand that. I know Hong Kong pretty well too, and there they have been wearing masks quite a lot since their SARs outbreak. I suspect that it is quite a good idea, but the idea of social distancing indefinitely will not I think be tolerated.

Dod

I gather a lot (if not most) of the mask wearing in asia is due to pollution. They may be worn more generally here post-covid however i suspect if govts kept them mandatory that would be a problem for large sections of society. Personally, I just wouldn't bother going to a theatre, gig or any event where i had to sit for hours in a mask and suspect many wouldn't either. A way has to be found around them somehow otherwise i suspect live entertainment is just going to disappear.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 9th, 2021, 8:44 am

richfool wrote:I would suggest you would need to stay in lockdown at least until 21 days after your second vaccination. We also don't yet know whether the vaccinations protect against people carrying the virus and passing it on to someone else. I expect the Gov will produce further guidelines as more information becomes available.

==========================================

we have to assume that many many people are carriers , vaccinated or not , symptoms or not .

on that assumption , the vaccination regime is critical , possibly several times a year , until everyone has immunity .

until then social distancing must continue , most people will use masks , shops cafes , pubs could open , but not theatres , football etc.

:(

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2021, 10:10 am

Alan1701 wrote:I gather a lot (if not most) of the mask wearing in asia is due to pollution. They may be worn more generally here post-covid however i suspect if govts kept them mandatory that would be a problem for large sections of society. Personally, I just wouldn't bother going to a theatre, gig or any event where i had to sit for hours in a mask and suspect many wouldn't either. A way has to be found around them somehow otherwise i suspect live entertainment is just going to disappear.

That is certainly not the case in the public areas of Singapore Airport nor particularly in Hong Kong. I have not been there for a couple of years (I was intending to go about now) but friends who live there tell me that HK's comparative success in handling Covid is most likely because temperature checks and squirts of hand sanitiser were immediately required back in January last year, when entering any public building, office or residential block and about 90% of the population began wearing masks outside without any bidding from the authorities. The authorities also jumped on any case and hospitalised them and backtracked on all contacts and isolated them. They had so few cases that they could do that.

They were using their experience gained in the SARS outbreak in 2003 and it seems a pity that Europe had to reinvent the wheel.

To comment on the OP's question again, one could ask, what lockdown? I was getting my car serviced yesterday and so was in my nearest town and was amazed at the number of people around, both on foot and in private cars. Where are they going because all but food shops appear to be closed.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 9th, 2021, 10:33 am

Alan1701 wrote:I gather a lot (if not most) of the mask wearing in asia is due to pollution. They may be worn more generally here post-covid however i suspect if govts kept them mandatory that would be a problem for large sections of society. Personally, I just wouldn't bother going to a theatre, gig or any event where i had to sit for hours in a mask and suspect many wouldn't either. A way has to be found around them somehow otherwise i suspect live entertainment is just going to disappear.

Yes, many do wear masks in SE Asia to protect against pollution. My point was that more people wore masks, prior to covid, for a variety of reasons. It wasn't uncommon to see people wearing masks on (AC) BTS and subway train, in shopping malls, as well as on the streets, on motorbikes (though I didn't see any wearing them in cars)- so for a variety of reasons, including if they had coughs, colds or sore throats.

During the early stages of covid, I additionally saw them wearing masks in shops, banks, restaurants, as well as buses and trains. My point was that it's a more common and accepted practice there, and people more used to it there, and that it may be something that we we may have to start getting used to here in the UK., whether we like it or not.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 9th, 2021, 12:10 pm

richfool wrote:....wearing masks ....it may be something that we we may have to start getting used to here in the UK., whether we like it or not.
I can imagine it being embraced by robbers, muggers, and all-purpose ne'er do-wells. For health reasons of course.

If apprehended by the constabulary, they'd go from lockdown to lockup. Always good to go up in the world.

V8

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 9th, 2021, 12:48 pm

88V8 wrote:
richfool wrote:....wearing masks ....it may be something that we we may have to start getting used to here in the UK., whether we like it or not.
I can imagine it being embraced by robbers, muggers, and all-purpose ne'er do-wells. For health reasons of course.

If apprehended by the constabulary, they'd go from lockdown to lockup. Always good to go up in the world.

V8

This raises an interesting philosophical conundrum for people who object on principle to wearing a face covering yet want to rob a bank. What ARE they to do, eh?

Alan1701

Postby Alan1701 » January 9th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Dod101 wrote:

That is certainly not the case in the public areas of Singapore Airport nor particularly in Hong Kong. I have not been there for a couple of years (I was intending to go about now) but friends who live there tell me that HK's comparative success in handling Covid is most likely because temperature checks and squirts of hand sanitiser were immediately required back in January last year, when entering any public building, office or residential block and about 90% of the population began wearing masks outside without any bidding from the authorities. The authorities also jumped on any case and hospitalised them and backtracked on all contacts and isolated them. They had so few cases that they could do that.

They were using their experience gained in the SARS outbreak in 2003 and it seems a pity that Europe had to reinvent the wheel.

To comment on the OP's question again, one could ask, what lockdown? I was getting my car serviced yesterday and so was in my nearest town and was amazed at the number of people around, both on foot and in private cars. Where are they going because all but food shops appear to be closed.

Dod

So would people in HK, wear masks at say a music event or at a theatre?
Just curious...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2021, 7:07 pm

Alan1701 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

So would people in HK, wear masks at say a music event or at a theatre?
Just curious...

I do not know if such events are open at the moment, probably not because most of these events feature foreign artists and the airport is closed for all but absolutely essential passengers. I think the answer to your question would be that yes they would wear masks to such an event.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 9th, 2021, 10:14 pm

You may find this interesting and enlightening, on masks and covid protective measures:

Feel free to skip the first 2 minutes. (1 min 45 secs).

https://youtu.be/2UWd17aE47I

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » January 9th, 2021, 10:57 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:And the AZN vaccine is, according to some reports anyway, only about 2/3 effective. Presumably that means that 1/3 of those getting the AZN jab could still catch Covid.

2/3 effective after the second dose four weeks later IIRC, which is being denied until 12 weeks.

So even if the 12 week 2nd dose remains as effective as when given after the correct 4 week interval (which seems to be unknown), the OP won't develop 2/3 immunity for about 14 weeks.

(Spelling edit.)

I'm not sure that's accurate Mike.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... erm-impact

Short-term vaccine efficacy from the first dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is calculated at around 90%

Short-term vaccine efficacy from the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine is calculated at around 70%, with high protection against severe disease

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”