Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

If Vaccinated Do I need to Stay in Lockdown?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
nowretired

If Vaccinated Do I need to Stay in Lockdown?

Postby nowretired » January 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm

So if I am one of the lucky ones to get vaccinated do I need to stay in lockdown?
Moderator Message:
Moving to the Coronavirus Discussions forum from DAK (leaving a link) - Chris

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: If Vaccinated Do I need to Stay in Lockdown?

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 2:58 pm

I should think it would be sensible whether strictly necessary or not. You need to until it is supposed to become effective anyway, but otherwise how is anyone to know that you are vaccinated? And you would give the same impression as Celtic FC with their winter break (sorry, training camp) in Dubai.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 6th, 2021, 3:08 pm

I don't know what the government rules are, but it makes sense to stay in lockdown for the moment until you are sure the vaccination is effective. All the staff and residents at a local carehome were vaccinated on 23rd Dec and they now have a covid outbreak.

--kiloran

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 6th, 2021, 3:40 pm

nowretired wrote:So if I am one of the lucky ones to get vaccinated do I need to stay in lockdown?

1. In which country are you?

2. If England, the answer is yes https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home unless any of the exclusions apply.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 6th, 2021, 3:57 pm

I would suggest you would need to stay in lockdown at least until 21 days after your second vaccination. We also don't yet know whether the vaccinations protect against people carrying the virus and passing it on to someone else. I expect the Gov will produce further guidelines as more information becomes available.

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » January 6th, 2021, 4:12 pm

nowretired wrote:So if I am one of the lucky ones to get vaccinated do I need to stay in lockdown?

Yes, and continue wearing masks and following all the rules.

Just like all the people that have had the disease already and are similarly immune.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm

NeilW wrote:

Yes, and continue wearing masks and following all the rules.

Just like all the people that have had the disease already and are similarly immune.

If people who have had Covid are all immune then they would not need the vaccination, but of course they are getting it as well. There have been cases of people getting Covid more than once.

And the AZN vaccine is, according to some reports anyway, only about 2/3 effective. Presumably that means that 1/3 of those getting the AZN jab could still catch Covid.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Lootman wrote:And the AZN vaccine is, according to some reports anyway, only about 2/3 effective. Presumably that means that 1/3 of those getting the AZN jab could still catch Covid.

The annual flu vaccine is about the same according to reports that I have read, so that is OK.

Dod

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 6th, 2021, 5:41 pm

richfool wrote:I would suggest you would need to stay in lockdown at least until 21 days after your second vaccination. We also don't yet know whether the vaccinations protect against people carrying the virus and passing it on to someone else. I expect the Gov will produce further guidelines as more information becomes available.

Yes of course you can still transmit the virus to others, even if you're immune. e.g. you have it on your hands, in throat, lungs etc but your antibodies are circulating in your blood. So they'll protect you, but you can still have the virus on you for a few days. That's why it will be important to vaccinate everyone asap and continue safe-distancing, masks and washing hands for the next few years.

Of course, one positive side-effect of all this protective behaviour is fewer colds and flu. It's been pretty noticeable everywhere that not many people have colds these days!

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 6th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Lootman wrote:And the AZN vaccine is, according to some reports anyway, only about 2/3 effective. Presumably that means that 1/3 of those getting the AZN jab could still catch Covid.

2/3 effective after the second dose four weeks later IIRC, which is being denied until 12 weeks.

So even if the 12 week 2nd dose remains as effective as when given after the correct 4 week interval (which seems to be unknown), the OP won't develop 2/3 immunity for about 14 weeks.

(Spelling edit.)

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 6th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Notwithstanding that you’ll be at less risk (less, not zero), you should still follow all the rules for the sake of others.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 6th, 2021, 8:26 pm

continue safe-distancing, masks and washing hands for the next few years.

May as well give up living then... :(

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2021, 8:50 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes of course you can still transmit the virus to others, even if you're immune. e.g. you have it on your hands, in throat, lungs etc but your antibodies are circulating in your blood. So they'll protect you, but you can still have the virus on you for a few days. That's why it will be important to vaccinate everyone asap and continue safe-distancing, masks and washing hands for the next few years.

Ehm...........I've got news for you. There is no way that I will be continuing safe distancing for the next few years. I was going to include masks and hand washing but moderate hand washing I have always done and will not change that. Masks? I doubt it although you would need to specify the locations.

And there are a lot of people like me who will be even less likely to follow any instruction like that. Get real! can you imagine a crowd at a football match wearing masks for instance and social distancing in these circumstances is just ridiculous. Maybe you are Chris Whitty in disguise?

Dod

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 6th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Dod101 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Yes of course you can still transmit the virus to others, even if you're immune. e.g. you have it on your hands, in throat, lungs etc but your antibodies are circulating in your blood. So they'll protect you, but you can still have the virus on you for a few days. That's why it will be important to vaccinate everyone asap and continue safe-distancing, masks and washing hands for the next few years.

Ehm...........I've got news for you. There is no way that I will be continuing safe distancing for the next few years. I was going to include masks and hand washing but moderate hand washing I have always done and will not change that. Masks? I doubt it although you would need to specify the locations.

And there are a lot of people like me who will be even less likely to follow any instruction like that. Get real! can you imagine a crowd at a football match wearing masks for instance and social distancing in these circumstances is just ridiculous. Maybe you are Chris Whitty in disguise?

Dod

I hope we don't have to, but I was just giving my opinion based on what may be advised, taking into account the new strain that is transmitted more easily. I guess that it depends on how fast people are vaccinated and how many.

Fingers crossed!

Steve

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 7th, 2021, 9:29 am

Masks are a lot more common place in the Far East, even when we didn't have covid. People wore them when they had coughs and colds and when cycling or motor biking in city traffic.

When I was in Thailand early last February, (when covid was first about), about 80% of the population seemed to be wearing them (in city like locations), in the street, as well as bank, shop and airport staff. They could well become more common place here.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 7th, 2021, 10:47 am

Mike4 wrote:

2/3 effective after the second dose four weeks later IIRC, which is being denied until 12 weeks.

So even if the 12 week 2nd dose remains as effective as when given after the correct 4 week interval (which seems to be unknown), the OP won't develop 2/3 immunity for about 14 weeks.

(Spelling edit.)

apparently (and I'm trusting the guys that have to read this stuff)
- 12 weeks for the AZ vaccine is better
- and it was that (which makes sense on historical vaccine regimes) which was somehow missed in their back of a fag pack analysis not starting with a half dose that make the jump from x to XXX in efficacy

still remains that you would need to GET the second dose..

...and rather than think about the UK gubmit actually doing something that might help my folks survive this thing rather than keep "the majority of people docile and happy"... I'm going to exercise some new xmas guitar pedals I've not had a chance to play with

-sd

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 7th, 2021, 11:11 am

richfool wrote:Masks are a lot more common place in the Far East, even when we didn't have covid. People wore them when they had coughs and colds and when cycling or motor biking in city traffic.

When I was in Thailand early last February, (when covid was first about), about 80% of the population seemed to be wearing them (in city like locations), in the street, as well as bank, shop and airport staff. They could well become more common place here.

I too was in the East last January/February, Sri Lanka, Peninsular Malaysia and Perth WA. The only place I saw many people wearing masks was when transiting Singapore Airport. About 50% of those milling around wore them. I can understand that. I know Hong Kong pretty well too, and there they have been wearing masks quite a lot since their SARs outbreak. I suspect that it is quite a good idea, but the idea of social distancing indefinitely will not I think be tolerated.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 7th, 2021, 11:13 am

stevensfo wrote:.... one positive side-effect of all this protective behaviour is fewer colds and flu. It's been pretty noticeable everywhere that not many people have colds these days!

Spiegelhalter on Times Radio this morning commented that excess deaths will be relatively low overall, as other seasonal infections are being minimised.

As regards the OP, yes of course. Apart from anything else, you would be setting a bad example if you ignore the restrictions. It's not as if the gubmt is giving you a flashing hat that says 'been vaccinated'.

And as regards your own welfare, the first dose is not a get out of jail card. That idea will be an epitaph.

V8

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 7th, 2021, 11:31 am

Most of the points for why you have too have already been covered.

Assuming you have just been priority vaccinated, it is because you are at higher risk. The vaccine is not 100% effective so you could still suffer.

Currently there is a high prevalence in the open so you could easily come into contact with it if you are out and about.

The good news is that the risk, for you is reducing, if you do catch it, hopefully it will be less severe in its effect on you. Mild death is still bad but compared with Certain Death.......

I would wait until more of the herd has been able to knock back the amount in circulation which is going to take some time yet.

Plus who are you likely to infect, the person behind you still waiting for a jab

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 7th, 2021, 11:38 am

88V8 wrote:Spiegelhalter on Times Radio this morning commented that excess deaths will be relatively low overall

If he'd said "due to nothing but COVID" I'd give him a big tick
- we've seen excess deaths reduce in domains that effectively reduced the spread because it helps with other things also (hi Denmark! Hur har du det?!)

But in the week before Xmas I believe the UK death registrations were ~45% above the 5yr average
- that will take a bit of compensation
- we've been told all year that those who died in the first wave would be made up for now

- sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”