Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine side effects poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

If you have had a covid vaccine did you experience side effects

I had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects
14%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had very mild side effects
10%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had some side effects
1%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had bad side effects
No votes
I had the AZ vaccine and had no side effects
32%
I had the AZ vaccine and had very mild side effects
27%
I had the AZ vaccine and had some side effects
13%
I had the AZ vaccine and had bad side effects
3%

Total votes: 143

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Vaccine side effects poll

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 6th, 2021, 11:57 am

jfgw wrote:Pending further research, it wouldn't bother me if I had two different jabs. It may even be better, it is how Sputnik V works after all. If it proves to be a bad idea, I would hope to be offered a third jab.

Julian F. G. W.

But Sputnik is designed that way. Pfizer isn't.

It was on the news a while back that AZ was trialling combining Sputnik with its own vaccine. If I'd been astrazenecated for my first jab, I was minded to ask about and hope for Sputnik second jabs to be rolled out in time for mine.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 6th, 2021, 12:02 pm

XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:I note my first vaccination is recorded in my online medical records, but not the type.

Which system are you using to see your medical records? The NHS App is giving full details for me.

Just the usual Patient Access/EMIS system.

Which, as you say, doesn't mention the type.

My Patient Access record shows, under Immunisations (sic):

Administration of first dose of SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) vaccine

Mind you, just spotted this is the Vaccine side effects poll topic!

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 6th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Mike4 wrote:
bee12345 wrote:I had the AZ vaccine at 3:40pm, and felt fine for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Went to bed at 9:30 which is earlier than usual for me because of needing to have an early start the following morning. Took a couple of paracetamol before going to bed because I'd heard it would be a good idea.

I had no sleep apart from 45 minutes at 4:45. I had set my alarm for 5:45 to get ready to go out to work. When I realised I wasn't going to get a decent amount of sleep, I sent an email to colleagues at 3am to say that I was cancelling the alarm and wouldn't be at work that day.

Felt really nauseous all night. My husband said I was burning up, but I felt soooo cold. My hands and feet were like blocks of ice. Stabbing pains in random places all over my body. Constant abdominal pain. Some pain in my lower back.

It was horrid, and I spent the rest of that day in bed. The following night wasn't great, but it was much better than the first night.

Having said all of that - i am glad I had the vaccine, and although it sounds like I will get the same or worse side effects when I get the second dose, I'll still have that second dose.

I had similar. I was OxAZed at 2.30pm on Friday 31st Jan and felt fine until early evening when I began to feel chilled, cold and not too well. Turned the heating up to 24c, lit the log fire and struggled to feel warm all evening. Realised I felt really ill in the most general of terms with no specific symptoms beyond being so cold and went to bed early. Could not sleep and stayed awake all night. Finally gave in and took paracetamol at about 6am Saturday morning and immediately felt better and fell asleep. Stayed in bed for the rest of the weekend as exhausted, sleeping for about 4 hours, awake for 2 all through until about 6pm Sunday night when it all turned off like a switch and suddenly I felt fine again, and back to normal.

Oh, except for a mild but persistent headache on the right side of my head which carried on for about two weeks, then vanished.

I've read some suggestions that a strong reaction to the first dose of AZ means the body recognises it from a previous infection and has already learned how to fight it off, which is what the symptoms mean is happening. Of all the people I've spoken to about their reaction to a first dose of AZ, most say none whatsoever but perhaps 1 in 6 recounts an experience similar to you and me.

I too will deffly have the second dose if it gets offered, but I have a feeling it never will be offered, somehow.

Similar to the two of you I was AZ-ed at 14:10, felt fine all day, but had a rotten night with next to no sleep. My only symptoms were a headache where frankly I've had worse from a hangover, and chills early on that then turned to sweats by maybe 4:00am or 5:00am. The following morning I was fine.

On the second dose thing, particularly bee12345 expecting the second dose to be worse, I wouldn't be so sure.

The Zoe Covid-19 symptom tracking project has also been tracking vaccination side effects for a while and did its latest webinar this last Wednesday. The main points I took from the discussion of side effects was ...

1 - Side effects overall slightly lower for Pfizer vs AZ but not massively so.

2 - Explicitly stated by one of the participants rather than shown on any of the graphs but apparently for the AZ vaccine the first dose tends to produce more side effects with fewer people seeing side effects on the second dose whereas for the Pfizer vaccine it tends to be the other way round, fewer side effects seen after the first dose with the second dose tending to provoke more.

Here is the full webinar. It is long I am afraid and I don't have a time stamp for that comment on relative first/second dose side effect characteristics. I can't even remember which contributor said it so can't advise people to scrub through to dip in only when a certain person is speaking to try and catch their contribution but here is the link for anyone with an hour to spare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoCDpIK ... hannel=ZOE

- Julian

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 12:45 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
XFool wrote:
AF62 wrote:Which system are you using to see your medical records? The NHS App is giving full details for me.

Just the usual Patient Access/EMIS system.

Which, as you say, doesn't mention the type.

My Patient Access record shows, under Immunisations (sic):

Administration of first dose of SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) vaccine

Mind you, just spotted this is the Vaccine side effects poll topic!

In the NHS app mine says -

5 March 2021
******** Health Centre (General Practice) - ******** (******)
Vaccination - COVID-19 Vac AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1 S recomb) 5x10000000000 viral particles/0.5ml dose sol for inj MDV 1
Coded entry - Administration of first dose of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (Y29e7)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 6th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Yes, I quoted you saying the NHS App had enhanced details. Maybe I should try and find the gizmo but there are so many I wouldn’t know where to start.

Does it have a lengthier name/description as it were?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Yes, I quoted you saying the NHS App had enhanced details. Maybe I should try and find the gizmo but there are so many I wouldn’t know where to start.

Does it have a lengthier name/description as it were?

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online- ... s/nhs-app/

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 4:07 pm

...Access your NHS services
Use NHS App online to access services on your desktop or laptop computer, through your web browser. You do not need to install anything to get started.

https://www.nhsapp.service.nhs.uk/login

So what can you do with it? (Do I really need yet another account?)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 6:30 pm

XFool wrote:...Access your NHS services
Use NHS App online to access services on your desktop or laptop computer, through your web browser. You do not need to install anything to get started.

https://www.nhsapp.service.nhs.uk/login

So what can you do with it? (Do I really need yet another account?)

You can -
- See your medical history (and it seems in more detail than other systems)
- Order repeat prescriptions
- Book and manage appointments (GP and hospital)
- Access linked accounts (if that person gives permission)
- Manage organ donation choice

For me it is accessible from my phone (and separately protected either by passcode or by fingerprint security, so wherever I am I have access to those details in an easy to use format (it isn't some kludgy browser based access).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 7:42 pm

AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:So what can you do with it? (Do I really need yet another account?)

You can -
- See your medical history (and it seems in more detail than other systems)
- Order repeat prescriptions
- Book and manage appointments (GP and hospital)
- Access linked accounts (if that person gives permission)
- Manage organ donation choice

AFAIK I can already do most of those things via Patient Access. As for the "more detail", do we know if it really will give more detail? Seems strange as from the description it seems to just hook up with your GP records, the same as EMIS. Perhaps you see more detail because more detail was entered in your records? It would be nice to know before going ahead collecting another account!

Anyone got both a Patient Access and an NHS App online account access to their GP records?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 6th, 2021, 8:07 pm

PinkDalek wrote:My Patient Access record shows, under Immunisations (sic):

Yep, my Patient Access record under Immunisations says exactly the same. However, it also says, under Medications:

COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1 S [recombinant]) 5x10,000,000,000 viral particles/0.5ml dose solution for injection multidose vials (AstraZeneca UK Ltd)

1 dose by Intramuscular Injection

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 10:13 pm

mc2fool wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:My Patient Access record shows, under Immunisations (sic):

Yep, my Patient Access record under Immunisations says exactly the same. However, it also says, under Medications:

COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1 S [recombinant]) 5x10,000,000,000 viral particles/0.5ml dose solution for injection multidose vials (AstraZeneca UK Ltd)

1 dose by Intramuscular Injection

Ha ha!

Yes, just checked again, says exactly the same on mine too, under "Medication". Who knew?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 6th, 2021, 10:20 pm

mc2fool wrote:Yep, my Patient Access record under Immunisations says exactly the same. However, it also says, under Medications: ...

Excellent, thank you.

Tried "Repeat" but no luck. :)

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » March 7th, 2021, 8:51 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Wizard wrote:I think the fact this poll had no "I have yet to have even the first dose of the vaccine" option and has been well contributed says a lot about the demographics of TLF :lol:

The other poll had "have yet to receive anything" as its most-ticked option. This one was posted just a few hours later, so I think we can take that as context.

I missed the other poll, apologies. But having seen it now I note the number ticking all options for having had a vaccine is significantly more than those ticking not having had one. So my point on the average age of Lemon Fools is still valid I think.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 7th, 2021, 9:24 am

Well, you can only have side effects from the vaccine if you have been vaccinated. The question was about side effects and not if one had been vaccinated.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 7th, 2021, 9:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
I have no idea where your apparent ZERO comes from.

Dr John Campbell's videos. He regularly comments that after vaccination one needs to continue with social distancing, mask wearing etc as vacciners take 2-3 weeks to begin to take effect.

Here is Dr Campbell, just by coincidence the day after his own first dose of the vaccine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7XpudFGJ8

The first thing he talks about, and at 3m10s he is showing evidence of efficacy of Pfizer at 92.6% at 2 weeks. That's hardly "For the first two weeks the vaccine has ZERO efficacy apparently, then it begins to creep up ..."

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 7th, 2021, 10:10 am

dealtn wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:
I have no idea where your apparent ZERO comes from.

Dr John Campbell's videos. He regularly comments that after vaccination one needs to continue with social distancing, mask wearing etc as vacciners take 2-3 weeks to begin to take effect.

Here is Dr Campbell, just by coincidence the day after his own first dose of the vaccine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7XpudFGJ8

The first thing he talks about, and at 3m10s he is showing evidence of efficacy of Pfizer at 92.6% at 2 weeks. That's hardly "For the first two weeks the vaccine has ZERO efficacy apparently, then it begins to creep up ..."

Thanks, I stand corrected, I appear to have had the wrong end of the stick then!

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » March 7th, 2021, 11:58 am

Slightly against the flow of the thread but in line with the OP. Had the OxAZ injection on Thursday, I was aware that I had been given the jab on Friday but otherwise nothing. Mrs S was out of sorts on Thursday night and Friday (but that may have been me rather than the vaccination :roll: ). She took about 4 doses of paracetamol over the two days.

As an aside my estimate of the set up was that the centre was running at about 25% of capacity (half was closed and the other half was running at half load). There were a lot of staff not fully employed. It took about and hour to get through, and if you don't take your NHS number (they don't tell you to do this) they have to look it up and manually write it down on a scrap of paper ( I kid you not). I know the vaccination facility at our county's largest hospital (Lincoln) was put onto 'hibernation' about a month ago so I suspect the limiting factor on vaccination rate is the supply of vaccine to the Midlands and North of England.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 7th, 2021, 12:30 pm

Just checked my antibody levels one week after the OxAz vaccine. Used two different rapid lateral flow tests and both showed negative. Not surprised and will check again at two weeks.

John

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 7th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Sobraon wrote:Slightly against the flow of the thread but in line with the OP. Had the OxAZ injection on Thursday, I was aware that I had been given the jab on Friday but otherwise nothing. Mrs S was out of sorts on Thursday night and Friday (but that may have been me rather than the vaccination :roll: ). She took about 4 doses of paracetamol over the two days.

As an aside my estimate of the set up was that the centre was running at about 25% of capacity (half was closed and the other half was running at half load). There were a lot of staff not fully employed. It took about and hour to get through, and if you don't take your NHS number (they don't tell you to do this) they have to look it up and manually write it down on a scrap of paper ( I kid you not). I know the vaccination facility at our county's largest hospital (Lincoln) was put onto 'hibernation' about a month ago so I suspect the limiting factor on vaccination rate is the supply of vaccine to the Midlands and North of England.

The point was made very forcibly in mine and my wife's invitations that one must take your NHS number with you. An old prescription will have it.

TJH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 7th, 2021, 6:50 pm

tjh290633 wrote:The point was made very forcibly in mine and my wife's invitations that one must take your NHS number with you. An old prescription will have it.

As does my (old?) NHS card.

Despite that, neither of us were required, forcibly or otherwise, to take our NHS number with us. Maybe that’s because we’d already said yes and when to the vaccine (using https://book.nhs.me/) and they had a printed sheet of paper available for me to hand over to the vaccinator.

Probably many vaccine centres have different procedures.

Did your invitation come by post?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”