Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine side effects poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

If you have had a covid vaccine did you experience side effects

I had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects
14%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had very mild side effects
10%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had some side effects
1%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had bad side effects
No votes
I had the AZ vaccine and had no side effects
32%
I had the AZ vaccine and had very mild side effects
27%
I had the AZ vaccine and had some side effects
13%
I had the AZ vaccine and had bad side effects
3%

Total votes: 143

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Vaccine side effects poll

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 9:18 am

MrFoolish wrote:I had the Astra Zeneca jab yesterday.

I woke up at 4am with some of the symptoms of mild flu - bad muscle aches all over and feeling spaced out. The worst of it lasted about an hour. Feeling 80% better now, just a bit tired and headachy.

Highly unlikely to be a coincidence IMHO, especially because I know of others who have had reactions afterwards. I certainly don't regret having the jab but I feel my antibodies must now be well primed, so I wonder about the necessity of a second jab.

A common error. Your antibodies get progressively more 'primed' with the passage of time, and it takes quite a lot of time.

For the first two weeks the vaccine has ZERO efficacy apparently, then it begins to creep up reaching (according to who you read) the low 90 per cents after three months. Then the data runs out.

I agree with you about the second dose, I would not be one jot surprised if as the data picture unfolds, the govt cancels all second AZ doses in favour of continuing the first dose vaccination programme down the age range.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » March 6th, 2021, 9:23 am

Pending further research, it wouldn't bother me if I had two different jabs. It may even be better, it is how Sputnik V works after all. If it proves to be a bad idea, I would hope to be offered a third jab.

Julian F. G. W.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 6th, 2021, 9:31 am

Mike4 wrote:

I woke up at 4am with some of the symptoms of mild flu - bad muscle aches all over and feeling spaced out. The worst of it lasted about an hour. Feeling 80% better now, just a bit tired and headachy.

Highly unlikely to be a coincidence IMHO, especially because I know of others who have had reactions afterwards. I certainly don't regret having the jab but I feel my antibodies must now be well primed, so I wonder about the necessity of a second jab.

A common error. Your antibodies get progressively more 'primed' with the passage of time, and it takes quite a lot of time.

For the first two weeks the vaccine has ZERO efficacy apparently, then it begins to creep up reaching (according to who you read) the low 90 per cents after three months. Then the data runs out.

I agree with you about the second dose, I would not be one jot surprised if as the data picture unfolds, the govt cancels all second AZ doses in favour of continuing the first dose vaccination programme down the age range.

Yep, I get that. But some people seem to reckon a strong reaction to the vaccine might indicate you have previously had covid. I wonder if there's any legit research on this?

I can't help but feel everything has been a bit rushed - understandably - and that we don't know the full story.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 9:34 am

Mike4 wrote:Yes I too expected it to look up my first dose but I also expected it to tell me what it was and assure me my second dose would be matched, but no it doesn't do that.

If you 'View your GP' record in the NHS App (https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online- ... s/nhs-app/) you will see that the NHS has recorded which vaccination you have received so it would be trivial for the linked booking system to offer you locations which will be receiving that type of jab.

Mike4 wrote:Nor do I see how they could, given the way staff at these centres say they never know which vaccine they will get unti the day. Therefore I conclude, 2nd doses will not be matched to first doses and I'm not sure I consent to that.

The staff at the centre don't need to know which type vaccinations they will receive, and frankly for first jabs it is probably better that they don't know since once word got out that location X was offering Pfizer or location Y was offering AZ then people would not turn up to bookings to game the system to get their preferred jab.

Only the system needs to know what is going where in order to allocate the correct type to the the people receiving the second dose.

Once I got home from my jab yesterday I tried to book my second jab on the system (I had received a spare jab at the end of the day so hadn't pre-booked). The system didn't know I had received a jab so was offering me a first jab. This morning the system had updated and it offered to book my second jab.

Comparing the locations available for the first jab before my record updated and the locations available for the second jab there were some in the first list who were not in the second list. I would conclude that the missing sites would be offering the Pfizer jab and not the AZ jab which I received.

And at the end of the day what is the worst that can happen - you book online and turn up for the second jab and in the incredibly unlikely situation they say we are going to inject you with X but you received Y before, then you say "no thanks" and leave and re-book with your GP.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 6th, 2021, 9:36 am

Mike4 wrote:I agree with you about the second dose, I would not be one jot surprised if as the data picture unfolds, the govt cancels all second AZ doses in favour of continuing the first dose vaccination programme down the age range.

When do you see this happening? The second dose numbers are already now ramping up to roughly match the initial first dose data:

Scott.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » March 6th, 2021, 9:38 am

MrFoolish wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Yep, I get that. But some people seem to reckon a strong reaction to the vaccine might indicate you have previously had covid. I wonder if there's any legit research on this?

I can't help but feel everything has been a bit rushed - understandably - and that we don't know the full story.

The data on reaction related to prior infection comes from King's College's Covid symptom tracker app (which I fill in religiously every day):
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... had-virus/
King's College research finds people with prior infection far more likely to report effects, particularly if they have had Pfizer jab

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 6th, 2021, 10:00 am

Mike4 wrote:
Your faith in NHS programming is touching given the history to date!

Yes I too expected it to look up my first dose but I also expected it to tell me what it was and assure me my second dose would be matched, but no it doesn't do that. Why not (I find myself wondering)? What a confidence-damaging piece of software whatever the answer.

Like you I'm inclined to think two differing vaccine are perhaps ok but in the absence of any meaningful research on this so far, I'm not really up for taking part in the ad hoc trial. More specifically, given these centres don't know what they will me administering until the day, I suspect I might even be refused when they see AZ on my card if they happen to be dishing out Pfizer on that day.

I don't see what possible difference talking to my GP can make, other than allowing him to blag me into taking whatever the vaccination centre is dispensing on the day of my appointment. Or alternatively convincing me I should refuse a non-matching on the day and waste a vaccination appointment. And either way I suspect he won't really know any better than you or me, given the absence of research on vaccine mixing.

It would be a trivial bit of programming for the booking site to display what vaccine I'd had first time around if it knew, and what the vaccine site will be dispensing on the day of my booking if it knew, therefore I conclude it actually doesn't know one or both, and I won't be finding out what until I turn up on the day.

I can't be the only one displaying unexpected 2nd dose "vaccine hesitancy" for this reason.

Taking the rough with the smooth of my experiences gives me some confidence with NHS programming in general - at least as regards appointments, reminders, blood tests etc.

Some of us just find things to picker about: I have a second jab date (it was given to me as a condition of accepting the first date - the surgery said it was a requirement) but it never occurred to me to worry about what the second dose would be. I trust they either have some control over it, or would not give me a dose of something which was not recommended.
These people are professional, have far more practical knowledge than I so leave it to them.

If it's necessary to have two jabs the same, and it turns out they do not have stock near the time, I am sure they will contact me.

Relax 8-)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 6th, 2021, 10:38 am

Hasn't everyone been given a card like I was given after the vaccination?

It has the vaccine given with batch number and date and the date of my next appointment.

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 10:38 am

People seem to be assuming any vaccine reaction is due to existing coronavirus antibodies, I wonder how likely this is. How could one tell? Is it not more likely to be a general allergic reaction (possibly also down to the immune system)? I did not suffer from my AstraZeneca vaccination, but then I don't usually have allergic reactions.

Does anyone have any reliable information?
Last edited by XFool on March 6th, 2021, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 10:40 am

redsturgeon wrote:Hasn't everyone been given a card like I was given after the vaccination?

It has the vaccine given with batch number and date and the date of my next appointment.

John

The second date box on my card was filled in with "To be advised". Five weeks on and not advised yet.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 6th, 2021, 10:40 am

Mike4 wrote:

To coin a phrase A common error.

There have been two recent and well published science papers, and linked on this site numerous times.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/ ... eprint.pdf

https://khub.net/documents/135939561/43 ... 4617945615

Both of which look at, and breakdown, the build up of protection over time.

In fact the largest build up in protection occurs in the first 2 weeks eg. 47% hospitalisation delivered by Oxford/AZN for those between 7-13 days post first dose, compared with 70% in days 21-27. 0-47% in first 2 weeks, 47-70% in the next is approximately half as much protection in the same time frame.

I have no idea where your apparent ZERO comes from.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 10:41 am

redsturgeon wrote:Hasn't everyone been given a card like I was given after the vaccination?

Yes. But without a date for the second vaccination. (As with others)

I note my first vaccination is recorded in my online medical records, but not the type.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 6th, 2021, 11:00 am

XFool wrote:I note my first vaccination is recorded in my online medical records, but not the type.

Which system are you using to see your medical records? The NHS App is giving full details for me.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 6th, 2021, 11:05 am

Mike4 wrote:I can't be the only one displaying unexpected 2nd dose "vaccine hesitancy" for this reason.

Haven't you got a card which states the date, type of vaccine and its batch number?

TJH

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 11:05 am

dealtn wrote:

Dr John Campbell's videos. He regularly comments that after vaccination one needs to continue with social distancing, mask wearing etc as vacciners take 2-3 weeks to begin to take effect.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 6th, 2021, 11:07 am

tjh290633 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I can't be the only one displaying unexpected 2nd dose "vaccine hesitancy" for this reason.

Haven't you got a card which states the date, type of vaccine and its batch number?

TJH

Yes I have. Thank you for your concern.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » March 6th, 2021, 11:12 am

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Dr John Campbell's videos. He regularly comments that after vaccination one needs to continue with social distancing, mask wearing etc as vacciners take 2-3 weeks to begin to take effect.

Perhaps he's just going along with the ultra-cautious official line though?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 11:49 am

AF62 wrote:
XFool wrote:I note my first vaccination is recorded in my online medical records, but not the type.

Which system are you using to see your medical records? The NHS App is giving full details for me.

Just the usual Patient Access/EMIS system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMIS_Health
Last edited by XFool on March 6th, 2021, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » March 6th, 2021, 11:51 am

Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

I do watch John Campbell's videos now and again but by no means all so I haven't seen this bit but, and I'm just guessing, might he actually have said "act as if you had zero protection in the first X weeks"?

That "act as if" phrase is one I have heard many advisers and experts employ in trying to convey the message about vaccines not being a cloak of invulnerability hence my guess above.

- Julian

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 6th, 2021, 11:53 am

MrFoolish wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
dealtn wrote:I have no idea where your apparent ZERO comes from.

Perhaps he's just going along with the ultra-cautious official line though?

AFAIK this is simply the accepted norm with vaccines. It is certainly what I remember it said in the NHS descriptive leaflet about the Flu vaccine. "About ten to fourteen days after receiving the vaccine your body will start to produce antibodies."

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”