Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vaccine side effects poll

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

If you have had a covid vaccine did you experience side effects

I had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects
14%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had very mild side effects
10%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had some side effects
1%
I had the Pfizer vaccine and had bad side effects
No votes
I had the AZ vaccine and had no side effects
32%
I had the AZ vaccine and had very mild side effects
27%
I had the AZ vaccine and had some side effects
13%
I had the AZ vaccine and had bad side effects
3%

Total votes: 143

Lemon Slice

Re: Vaccine side effects poll

Postby 9873210 » May 18th, 2021, 4:52 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
XFool wrote:Somebody I know has just had their second Pfizer vaccination, at the same clinic I had both my AZN vaccinations.

They and everyone else was asked to wait 15 minutes before leaving. When I had the AZN vaccination I was told both times to wait 15 minutes, but only if I was driving. As I was walking I just left straight away both times.

Is there any known explanation for this apparent difference in policy, or simply different people giving out differing advice?

(Just reread the immediately preceding post - could be an explanation?)

I had to wait after both Pfizers. Seemed to be an indiscriminate blanket requirement.

If I'd been driving, the wait would definitely have been justified, due to (very mild) lightheadedness and hint-of-nausea. Neither remotely serious at walking pace. Yesterday's post-jab malaise was worse, but is now (touch wood) gone.

As I understand it: waiting after a shot of Pfizer was originally required because of a remote possibility of an allergic reaction, including life threatening anaphylactic shock requiring immediate treatment. Has this concern been abated? If not the method of transport should have little to do with it.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » May 18th, 2021, 5:13 pm

9873210 wrote:As I understand it: waiting after a shot of Pfizer was originally required because of a remote possibility of an allergic reaction, including life threatening anaphylactic shock requiring immediate treatment. Has this concern been abated? If not the method of transport should have little to do with it.

The impact of having the shock while driving a car are rather greater on other people though.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » May 18th, 2021, 5:14 pm

An argument against the 15 minute wait:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4925/rr
Although the chances of an allergic reaction a to a vaccine are stated as 1 in a million by the Resus Council (Ref 5), the current guidance at present is to observe all patients for 15 minutes post Covid vaccination. The chances of a reaction may be even lower for the Pfizer BioNtech vaccine as it has no egg products used in its manufacture, and also because we are no longer vaccinating anyone with a history of severe allergy or anaphylaxis.

The "15 minute wait" poses a huge logistical challenge, compounded by social distancing rules, and is making it an ever greater challenge to vaccinate at pace with a time limited batch of the Prizer BioNtech vaccine (as we only have 3.5 days to use up 975 doses from delivery).

Surely the chances of someone (patient or carer) acquiring an infection while waiting around for 15 minutes following a covid vaccination are much higher than 1 in a million ? And one could also argue that anything which slows down the rate at which we can offer a mass vaccination programme (assuming a ready vaccine supply) is leaving far more patients at risk for longer, and is thus far more likely to cause harm (and NHS work), that a 1 in a million allergy risk?

If we truly wish to ‘protect the NHS and save lives’ then perhaps the MHRA and CMOs need to carefully look at the true risks of an allergic reaction (and thus the need for a 15 minute wait for all patients following a Covid vaccine), compared with the risk of the wait itself, and the benefits of vaccinating our vulnerable patients at pace to help prevent further morbidity and mortality - while working towards herd immunity ?

Not really sure why adding the wait reduces vaccination rates, surely that is limited by the number of people available perform the injection?
Waiting in your car, or in the car park, was suggested as an option at my centre, if you didn't want to wait in the area provided.

(Edit: Waiting was also suggested for AZ vaccinations at my centre, even though that is no longer part of the NHS guidance. I chose to wait, there seemed to reason not to, and in the unlikely chance that something did go wrong I'd rather be surrounded by doctors and nurses.)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2021, 5:33 pm

murraypaul wrote:
9873210 wrote:As I understand it: waiting after a shot of Pfizer was originally required because of a remote possibility of an allergic reaction, including life threatening anaphylactic shock requiring immediate treatment. Has this concern been abated? If not the method of transport should have little to do with it.

That would explain the blanket requirement. My comment on the requirement was basically "it's there, I don't know why".
The impact of having the shock while driving a car are rather greater on other people though.

But it doesn't make all-the-difference between harmless and critical - as with a bit of lightheadedness.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 18th, 2021, 5:36 pm

murraypaul wrote:
Not really sure why adding the wait reduces vaccination rates, surely that is limited by the number of people available perform the injection?
Waiting in your car, or in the car park, was suggested as an option at my centre, if you didn't want to wait in the area provided.

It depends on where the "pinch points" in the system are. Consider a vaccination centre with a large hall available for vaccinating, but only a single parking space. Or a small hall, but a very large car park. Then the numerous examples inbetween.

Imposing a 15 minute post-vaccination wait in a car on the first is a limiter on vaccination numbers unlike the second (where the limit is the small space in the hall). Depending where on the spectrum the vaccine centre lies may determine if such a policy limits the potential numbers of vaccinations that can occur.

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » May 18th, 2021, 5:36 pm

dealtn wrote:It depends on where the "pinch points" in the system are. Consider a vaccination centre with a large hall available for vaccinating, but only a single parking space. Or a small hall, but a very large car park. Then the numerous examples inbetween.

Fair point, I'm thinking leafy suburbs rather than city centre.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2021, 7:47 pm

murraypaul wrote:Not really sure why adding the wait reduces vaccination rates, surely that is limited by the number of people available perform the injection?

My wait was outside, and not a pleasant area. Just a pavement between the building and a car parking area (not a big one - capacity for a regular GP practice, but would've been wholly inadequate for the covid-jab crowd if more than a tiny fraction had driven there). I rebelled a little by standing leaning against the wall.

First jab it was the same area, but fewer people on the conveyor belt, and they actually provided a chair to sit in!

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » May 18th, 2021, 8:57 pm

Yup, I hadn't thought it through, and was projecting what I had experienced onto everyone else.

For me it was a (closed for lockdown) country club, with a car park four times bigger than needed, and a post-waiting area with chairs 2m apart and no one in any of the chairs adjacent to me, so really no reason not to wait, and not slowing anything down.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 18th, 2021, 10:38 pm

Second AZ.
Me, same as the first, no effect.
Wife, quite sick after the first, nothing after the second.

Advised to wait 15 mins in the car, which we did.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2021, 10:55 pm

Interesting side-effect this evening.

After four teetotal days around the jab, today I had the last glass from an already-open bottle of Chianti. It was previously disappointing, but I much enjoyed this evening's glass. Evidently that jab has done something for my sense of taste! :)

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » May 18th, 2021, 11:42 pm

Two weeks and one day after my second shot my hair became much, much shorter.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 19th, 2021, 12:12 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Interesting side-effect this evening.

After four teetotal days around the jab, today I had the last glass from an already-open bottle of Chianti. It was previously disappointing, but I much enjoyed this evening's glass. Evidently that jab has done something for my sense of taste! :)

FOUR DAYS?

Sounds like desperation to me, mate!

*Currently enjoying a bottle of 19 Crimes "The Uprising". Nothing ever subtle from them, but equally, they never disappoint if you prepare yourself for a big, "in ya face" wine.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » May 23rd, 2021, 1:55 pm

Having discussed the matter with my sister who has also had the Pfizer jab we both felt that the jab may have exaggerated our allergic reactions to allergies which would have occurred independently (it is pollen season).

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 24th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Had AZ jab #2 on Saturday 22nd
Side effects (short term) were much milder than jab #1 - just a 'coming down with a cold' feeling Saturday night, and a poor night's sleep. Nothing too bad.
I do feel tired still, but may be sleep deficit from Saturday night

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » May 24th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I had my second AZ dose last Thursday and also had much milder side effects if any.

In neither case did I get any local issues at the vaccination site (sore arm or bruising). As for systemic side effects for the first dose I did have a mild to moderate headache plus slight fever and chills that all started about 12 hours after my vaccination and lasted for about 8 hours by which time that was that and I was just fine. After my second dose, again about 12 hours after the injection, I felt a bit cold in bed so pulled the duvet tighter around me to form a sort of sleeping bag and then about 15 minutes later felt too hot so flattened out the duvet again and a few minutes later fell asleep and was 100% OK when I woke up so at worst that was maybe 30 minutes of fever and chills after my second dose or maybe nothing at all and simply a case of not managing to get comfortable in bed that night maybe because of this very changeable weather right now.

- Julian

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 24th, 2021, 7:10 pm

Yes, sounds like my experience of jab #2 - basically alternately hot/cold and unable to get comfortable during the night.
My biggest regret with jab 2 is that the earliest slot was a Saturday, so I didn't miss any work...

Very happy to be fully AstraZenecated, although I know maximum protection isn't until a couple of weeks after the second jab.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 24th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Snorvey wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Yes, sounds like my experience of jab #2 - basically alternately hot/cold and unable to get comfortable during the night.
My biggest regret with jab 2 is that the earliest slot was a Saturday, so I didn't miss any work...

Very happy to be fully AstraZenecated, although I know maximum protection isn't until a couple of weeks after the second jab.

'Astrazenecated'....? Hmmmm. How about 'Oxidized' ?

Should that be a thwack? Not of course to AC, but for questioning it?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 24th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Snorvey wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Very happy to be fully AstraZenecated, although I know maximum protection isn't until a couple of weeks after the second jab.

'Astrazenecated'....? Hmmmm. How about 'Oxidized' ?

Or Vaxzevria'd.

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » May 24th, 2021, 8:26 pm

I prefer Snorvey's 'oxidized', recycling as it does an existing word, rather than creating a new one. Better for the planet.

Watis

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 24th, 2021, 8:32 pm

Just vaccinnobulated is fine for general use

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”