Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Daily tests

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Arizona11
2 Lemon pips

Daily tests

Postby Arizona11 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:50 pm

Sorry to ask another Covid question. I see that well over a million tests are done daily and between 5 and 6,000 test positive.

Who are all these people being tested and why? If you don’t have symptoms, why get a test? Some may have regular tests as part of their job, but over a million still seems a lot.

Why are so many showing positive every day. I realise lots of people simply are not following lockdown rules or being careless with masks and hand cleaning, but this still seems a lot tested positive every single day.

Any answers regarding these two stats?

Thanks

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Daily tests

Postby Gerry557 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:56 pm

Schools, workers and anybody else basically.

I think secondary schools test twice weekly so would expect workers to have something similar. I know some working in care that are tested twice a week. You can also books tests without symptoms and partly where they get some of the infection stats from.

Ideally they would/should all be negative.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 22nd, 2021, 8:09 pm

Arizona11 wrote:Who are all these people being tested and why?
Every asymptomatic adult who lives or works in Kent is invited to be tested every two weeks. If you visit a care home you get a test. If you report daily via the ZoE app and show any kind of symptom you tend to get invited for a test.

As a result of all this I had lateral flow tests a week ago on Sunday, last Friday, and a PCR test on Saturday. That's three within a week.

Chris

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 22nd, 2021, 11:47 pm

There are around 3.5 million pupils in secondary schools in England.. They are being tested twice a week - so that should work out at 1.4 million tests a day.

Perhaps the question should be "why are only a million tests a day being done"?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 23rd, 2021, 12:51 am

chas49 wrote:There are around 3.5 million pupils in secondary schools in England.. They are being tested twice a week - so that should work out at 1.4 million tests a day.

Perhaps the question should be "why are only a million tests a day being done"?

"Dear PHE,

can you tell me what version of excel you are using to log your test results?"

Sincerely,
Concerned of TLF"

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 23rd, 2021, 8:36 am

csearle wrote:
Every asymptomatic adult who lives or works in Kent is invited to be tested every two weeks. If you visit a care home you get a test. If you report daily via the ZoE app and show any kind of symptom you tend to get invited for a test.

As a result of all this I had lateral flow tests a week ago on Sunday, last Friday, and a PCR test on Saturday. That's three within a week.

Chris

Like a stopped clock, if you get tested at that rate, one day you'll surely test positive. But whether that's then a medical or a statistical result remains open to question.

Last time I heard of someone I know getting tested was pre-lockdown. I had missed him in choir for a couple of weeks. His wife was there, and I asked. He was staying at home and being tested daily, after having met and indeed had physical contact (shaking hands) with someone who got ill and tested positive. She was living with him in their home, but leading a normal life and not subject to any such restrictions nor testing.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 23rd, 2021, 10:10 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
csearle wrote:

Chris

Like a stopped clock, if you get tested at that rate, one day you'll surely test positive. But whether that's then a medical or a statistical result remains open to question.

Last time I heard of someone I know getting tested was pre-lockdown. I had missed him in choir for a couple of weeks. His wife was there, and I asked. He was staying at home and being tested daily, after having met and indeed had physical contact (shaking hands) with someone who got ill and tested positive. She was living with him in their home, but leading a normal life and not subject to any such restrictions nor testing.

The best estimate of the false positive rate for LFD tests appears to be < 1 per 1 million (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -least-999)

A stopped clock is wrong all the time (apart from twice a day). An LFD test appears to be right rather more frequently than that.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 23rd, 2021, 10:11 am

Moderator Message:
Anyway - this isn't a DAK - moving to Coronavirus Discussions..... (chas49)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”