Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Real key workers

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
scotview
Lemon Quarter

Real key workers

Postby scotview » April 6th, 2021, 10:32 am

It is a Baltic, raw morning with us, with a good bit of snow/ice on the ground. We have just had our bins emptied by our three young bin men. They have done this work right through the pandemic and not missed a day.

Our grocery deliveries from Tesco has been superb, the drivers do a great job. Furthermore, there must be workers getting up every morning to go to work in food factories, people making packaging, delivery drivers working every day on the logistics network.

Boiler and Electricity supply engineers carrying out emergency repairs throughout the pandemic.

Lots of workers have been carrying out essential work to keep basic life going.

I am getting a little frustrated at all the media concern for home workers, who are working in their centrally heated homes with coffee on hand and maybe a nice garden to relax in.

There seems to be a disparity in recognition within our society or maybe I'm missing something.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Real key workers

Postby dealtn » April 6th, 2021, 11:02 am

True, but how well recognised were those "key workers" before this all started? Just as ignored and taken for granted I suspect.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 6th, 2021, 11:37 am

Everyone's a key worker in one respect or another.
Reminds me of the joke about the organs having an argument over who's the most important. In brief, after they've all put their case and scoffed at the anus's claim, the anus goes on strike...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 6th, 2021, 1:55 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:Everyone's a key worker in one respect or another.

I wouldn't claim that for myself. The nearest I've been to key worker is when I had school-holiday work picking fruit&veg.

Developing the software and standards that enable sites like lemonfool to run, or that provide complex data to scientists around the world, isn't exactly life-and-death!

My dad (polytechnic lecturer) spent the later part of his working life telling the world how useless his work was compared to the important (though not urgent/critical) work his children were doing.

Reminds me of the joke about the organs having an argument over who's the most important. In brief, after they've all put their case and scoffed at the anus's claim, the anus goes on strike...

Who are you calling an anus? Perhaps you were thinking of telephone sanitisers?

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » April 6th, 2021, 2:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:...
Who are you calling an anus? Perhaps you were thinking of telephone sanitisers?

Blimey, that brings back some memories. I remember one time in the dim and distant past, a few decades ago, when the telephone sanitisers came round the office I was working in at the time to sanitise all the telephones. Perhaps wisely they had enough concern for their own safety to not go anywhere near the keyboards though.

- Julian

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 6th, 2021, 4:46 pm

scotview wrote:
I am getting a little frustrated at all the media concern for home workers, who are working in their centrally heated homes with coffee on hand and maybe a nice garden to relax in.

What media concern for home workers? I've obviously missed this.

I've been working from home since 17 March 2020 and I'm very glad that I don't have to commute or sit in a crowded office. I'm also very grateful for all those who do have to work outside the home and risk catching Covid-19, but continue to do so. I'm glad to do my bit by staying at home, though I have continued to work pretty much as normal throughout.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 6th, 2021, 4:56 pm

I said similar to the OP on Building and DIY on March 12th "Good Service Story"!

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”