Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Scanning a NHS QR Code

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Re: Scanning a NHS QR Code

Postby SteelCamel » June 28th, 2021, 8:46 am

chas49 wrote:
SteelCamel wrote:So, with things opening up, I've run into another issue. I live in Scotland, I've got the Scottish exposure notification app and "Check in Scotland" for checking into venues. Then I visited family in England. The exposure notification apps work together, so nothing to do there. But "Check in Scotland" doesn't recognise the English NHS QR codes. No problem, I need to install the English app to check in to venues in England. But it won't let me register, as I don't live in England!
Some venues have their own system as well as the NHS system - this works, though is more work as I have to enter all my details every time. But the one venue I found that didn't (ironically at an airport, where you'd expect travellers from outside England) only had the alternative of a paper form.

Have the NHS really missed that they're not providing any way for those living outside England to check in?

Is there confusion here between the "NHS App" - which provides access to your medical records and vaccination status for people with an NHS England number, and the NHS "Covid-19" Test & Trace App - which does the exposure notification thing and venue checkin. As far as I can see you don't register on the Covid-19 app - the app doesn't know who you are. So you can use it whether you have an NHS England number or not.

No, it's the "NHS COVID-19" app, which does both exposure notification and check-in. It should really be named "NHS England & Wales", since it's specific to England & Wales, which does cause some confusion. The first thing it asks, after confirming you agree to the terms, is "Enter the first part of your postcode (postcode district). You need an English or Welsh postcode district to use this app" . Which is quite reasonable for the exposure notification part. But for the check-in part, it leaves those from Scotland, NI, and foreign visitors with no way to check in - as the QR codes are in an app-specific format that no other app can read. And yes, I could enter false details, but that defeats the point of checking in.

The company-specific (non-NHS) check in posters have a QR code that encodes a website address, which can be read by any recent smartphone without an app (and older ones with a generic QR code reader app).

The NHS app (again should be "NHS England and Wales") provides no services for residents of Scotland, so it doesn't matter that they can't use that one.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 28th, 2021, 9:40 am

SteelCamel wrote:
chas49 wrote:
SteelCamel wrote:So, with things opening up, I've run into another issue. I live in Scotland, I've got the Scottish exposure notification app and "Check in Scotland" for checking into venues. Then I visited family in England. The exposure notification apps work together, so nothing to do there. But "Check in Scotland" doesn't recognise the English NHS QR codes. No problem, I need to install the English app to check in to venues in England. But it won't let me register, as I don't live in England!
Some venues have their own system as well as the NHS system - this works, though is more work as I have to enter all my details every time. But the one venue I found that didn't (ironically at an airport, where you'd expect travellers from outside England) only had the alternative of a paper form.

Have the NHS really missed that they're not providing any way for those living outside England to check in?

Is there confusion here between the "NHS App" - which provides access to your medical records and vaccination status for people with an NHS England number, and the NHS "Covid-19" Test & Trace App - which does the exposure notification thing and venue checkin. As far as I can see you don't register on the Covid-19 app - the app doesn't know who you are. So you can use it whether you have an NHS England number or not.

No, it's the "NHS COVID-19" app, which does both exposure notification and check-in. It should really be named "NHS England & Wales", since it's specific to England & Wales, which does cause some confusion. The first thing it asks, after confirming you agree to the terms, is "Enter the first part of your postcode (postcode district). You need an English or Welsh postcode district to use this app" . Which is quite reasonable for the exposure notification part. But for the check-in part, it leaves those from Scotland, NI, and foreign visitors with no way to check in - as the QR codes are in an app-specific format that no other app can read. And yes, I could enter false details, but that defeats the point of checking in.

The company-specific (non-NHS) check in posters have a QR code that encodes a website address, which can be read by any recent smartphone without an app (and older ones with a generic QR code reader app).

The NHS app (again should be "NHS England and Wales") provides no services for residents of Scotland, so it doesn't matter that they can't use that one.

Sounds like a remarkable commitment to missing the point
- not sure why a post code would be required even for notification; I would have thought that the details you check in with should have been sufficient?

The QR code where I am will take anyone to a website, if they don't have the app installed, and the login details of you and any in your party you've saved are stored locally so you can quickly sign everyone in by ticking the box of who's with you and submitting
- it's become pretty painless

-sd

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » June 28th, 2021, 11:21 am

SteelCamel wrote:
chas49 wrote:

I do understand your frustration. I don't believe the postcode you enter has any effect of your use of the app - other than you getting notifications about the restrictions for that area when they change. And presumably a minuscule effect on statistical reporting. But it doesn't use that postcode district to perform the check-in (I suppose it might record that someone from Manchester has visited a pub in Devon, but that's not particularly useful information anyway.

Yes - the way this has been setup is annoying, and leaves apparent gaps which would be easily resolved. But I think you have a way round it (by using a postcode which is near the border?) wihtout causing too many problems for you or anyone else. (As an aside, the TD9 and TD15 postcode districts cover properties on both sides of the border, so if you used one of those - (assuming the app accepts them!) you wouldn't be messing up the stats as much (possibly).

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » June 28th, 2021, 11:37 am

SteelCamel wrote:No, it's the "NHS COVID-19" app, which does both exposure notification and check-in. It should really be named "NHS England & Wales", since it's specific to England & Wales, which does cause some confusion. The first thing it asks, after confirming you agree to the terms, is "Enter the first part of your postcode (postcode district). You need an English or Welsh postcode district to use this app" . Which is quite reasonable for the exposure notification part. But for the check-in part, it leaves those from Scotland, NI, and foreign visitors with no way to check in - as the QR codes are in an app-specific format that no other app can read. And yes, I could enter false details, but that defeats the point of checking in.

If I understand correctly how venue check-in works, and I think I do based on what I've read, you shouldn't cause any issues putting in a false post code.

My understanding is that the venue check-in works in the same way as exposure notification i.e. it is based on locally stored information to preserve anonymity. When you check in to a venue a unique ID for that venue is stored on your phone. If a venue has an infection the venue reports that to some central authority that then adds the venue to a list of venues in England & Wales that have an infection. The app on your phone then periodically downloads the list of infected venues, checks to see if any of the venues you have visited are on the list, and if they are it alerts you to self isolate. At no time is the postcode used and at no time does the list of venues that you have visited leave your phone. It's a very simple match-against-infected-locations operation all done by the app locally on your phone.

This is confirmed here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 20recorded. - in particular ...

Data and the app

Your app retains data within the app around specific interactions. The logs of who you have interacted with are retained within the Apple/Google GAEN and are not visible or accessible to us. Details of which venues you have visited again are only on your app. The app will hold details of a relevant test result but only for as long as necessary, 14 days after any self-isolation period this data is no longer recorded. As detailed below you can delete the app, or just some data items (specific venues) or all the data it contains.

It does leave the question as to why the government asks for the post code at all. A very basic deterrent against non-residents using it? Some basic monitoring of the number of users of the app in various towns/cities/etc even though none of their actual activity can be seen by the government? I've no idea on that one.

- Julian

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » June 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Julian wrote:It does leave the question as to why the government asks for the post code at all. A very basic deterrent against non-residents using it? Some basic monitoring of the number of users of the app in various towns/cities/etc even though none of their actual activity can be seen by the government? I've no idea on that one.

The app notifies you of changes to restrictions in your area, which it determines by postcode.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 28th, 2021, 12:11 pm

murraypaul wrote:
Julian wrote:It does leave the question as to why the government asks for the post code at all. A very basic deterrent against non-residents using it? Some basic monitoring of the number of users of the app in various towns/cities/etc even though none of their actual activity can be seen by the government? I've no idea on that one.

The app notifies you of changes to restrictions in your area, which it determines by postcode.

That's fair enough as a use of the data
- practically though it shouldn't require you to enter one to check in somewhere and use the app, making it an optional field or having an explicit "not applicable" would be a good alternative

-sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”