Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Govt consultation on mandatory vaccination of care home staff

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Govt consultation on mandatory vaccination of care home staff

Postby servodude » June 19th, 2021, 11:50 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:I’ve just happened on this quote on another site: “I don't mind a battle of wits, but I won't fight an unarmed man"
Seems apposite.

Twain? it has the ring of his "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

-sd

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 2nd, 2021, 10:27 am

Did you hear Javid on Today this morning.... very uncompromising about Care staff... 'get vaccinated or get another job' sort of thing.
Jolly good.

V8

Will2pass

Postby Will2pass » October 2nd, 2021, 11:04 am

Some random thoughts from me (a care home manager of 20 years).

On the whole I am pro vaccination. I wasn't in the early stages but changed my mind fairly early on.

Did I want staff to be vaccinated before it became mandatory?

Yes, I never pressured anyone but I did supply all relevent information to help them decide.

Out of 25 staff members I had 3 that were adamant they wouldn't have it.
When news broke of the vaccine becoming mandatory, two of the three relented to save their jobs, one didn't and as a result left the care sector.

All three were females of childbearing age wanting to have future children and felt not enough was known given their individual circumstances.

As of November 11th, nobody can enter our home for health or social care reasons (professionals) unless they provide proof of vaccination. No tradesmen can carry out planned work without proof of vaccination.

However, relatives of service users can come and go as they please without any need to be vaccinated or to provide proof. I can't quite square that circle in my mind.

When it was announced that care would have the double vaccine law I automatically thought it would be us followed by the NHS then Education followed by Retail and then drip on through society.
In my mind it was a way to make the vaccine mandatory for all whilst avoiding national riots if they just came out and said the vaccine was going to be mandatory for everyone.

Now I'm not so sure. Talk of other sectors becoming mandatory haven't materialised.

Overall I feel very disappointed, not that I don't agree with 'us' needing to be vaccinated (I'm not saying doubly because our boosters are all being done next week so this is a career long thing), what I'm disappointed in is the double standards.

Good quality young carers feeling they need to leave an already hard to staff profession whilst the NHS staff have no such obligation. Surely their patients are just as high risk (the reality is they are more so) as our service users.
Add in relatives can come and go as they please and it's getting harder for me to justify things to my staff .

Caveat- We can be careful with relatives visiting at present but in the coming months and years it will return to more relaxed visits with relatives mingling in communal areas etc. Families are allowed and do take their loved ones out of the home for the day and overnight and that's absolutely fine with the authorities, no need for any vaccinations.

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Govt consultation on mandatory vaccination of NHS / care home staff

Postby 88V8 » October 2nd, 2021, 5:12 pm

Will2pass wrote:....what I'm disappointed in is the double standards.

I assumed that NHS staff would be next if not sooner. Perhaps as IAAG said long ago, Unions.....
If not, the illogic would be hard to square.

As regards relatives, I suppose if relatives and their inmates decide to take the risk, that is up to them to evaluate and control. In the Home, things are out of their control.
You could presumably deny entry to relatives who are not double-jabbed? If they didn't agree they could remove their inmate...

All in all it has the potential for a bit of an illogical mess.
However, it does seem that things are moving.
https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/polic ... 9-09-2021/

The government has confirmed that later today a six-week consultation will begin on making both vaccinations a condition of deployment for all patient-facing health and care staff....
...Figures provided by the Department of Health and Social Care show around 92% of NHS trust staff have received one dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, while 88% have had both.
But there are concerns over a variation in uptake, with rates in some trusts as low as 78% for both doses.

I shall complete the consultation, as I did with Care staff, and I presume you will also.
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/making-vaccination-a-condition-of-deployment-in-the-health-and-wider-social-care-sector

V8

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Govt consultation on mandatory vaccination of NHS / care home staff

Postby 88V8 » October 2nd, 2021, 5:44 pm

88V8 wrote:I shall complete the consultation, as I did with Care staff, and I presume you will also.
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/making-vaccination-a-condition-of-deployment-in-the-health-and-wider-social-care-sector

Done.. what is Annex B...consultation expires 22 October.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 2nd, 2021, 7:55 pm

Will2pass wrote:Some random thoughts from me (a care home manager of 20 years).

Are you allowed to debate online when you actually know what you're talking about? ;)

Seriously, thanks for the informed insight, which more-or-less aligns with my uninformed view. I was somewhat horrified by Javid's authoritarian attitude this morning: the don't-care sector.

As for the childbearing concern (the issue issue?), I'd bet there were other things in their lives that could give rise to equally valid concerns, even if they lead entirely clean and healthy lifestyles.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”