Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Personal Covid Experience

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Personal Covid Experience

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 3:12 pm

I haven't read many people talking about their own Covid-19 experiences here - maybe we all live within the 4 walls of our own houses, glued to TLF, and don't communicate with the outside world. :? So I thought I'd share my experience - which was somewhat surreal.

I received a positive Covid-19 [edit: it was a PCR] test less than 2 weeks after my first vaccine. We only went for tests because the Covid-Zoe study app (https://covid.joinzoe.com/) suggested we have one. This happened in February too and we were both negative and assumed the same would happen again. However, this time I was positive and Mrs C was negative.

Cue a great deal of puzzlement. Neither of us had any symptoms whatsoever and I had been nowhere for months, on account of my GP telling me last year that there had been quite a lot of overweight men of my age seriously affected by Covid, so I should "exercise extreme caution". Those words are etched into my memory because they came as a shock.

The 2 lessons that I take from this are

• Covid-19 must be extremely easily transmitted if I caught it, so be careful out there
  • The likelihood is that the vaccine stopped me getting ill, even though I still tested positive, so thankyou to the scientists

Mrs C had been very cautious too, but had been to a couple of places in the week before; places where the correct precautions were taken and where she was socially distanced. There is a possibility that she caught it, then passed it to me, and was then clear of it when tested. Another possibility is that I had a false positive. Neither of us had any symptoms apart from Mrs C feeling slightly nauseous one day for a couple of hours in the previous week.

So we self isolated for the required 10 days - and self isolated from each other too. Luckily our house is big enough and my home office is near a spare bedroom and bathroom, so was consigned to there. Mrs C kindly brought meals to my door. It was a strange experience living separate lives in the same house. Mrs C found it hard to be stuck in the house for 10 days, but it wasn't so bad for me. It reminded me of being away on business - doing some productive work-like things during the day, then pottering around at the hotel room's desk, having room service food while sitting at the laptop or watching the TV. In fact I hardly watched any TV for the whole 10 days, preferring to occupy myself on the internet or reading.

Having been really worried about Covid, I am so relieved not to have felt at all unwell. It is almost unbelievable that I may have had it at all. As I said - it has been rather surreal.

Another thought I had, by way of a footnote, I wonder whether the great decline in positive tests is actually not accurate. I wonder how many people like me there are out there, who are asymptomatic due to the vaccine, but also Covid positive - and never get tested.

Hope everyone else is keeping well.

Clariman

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Personal Covid Experience

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm

One thing strikes me about your account. You take it as an article of faith[1] that your test result was accurate. In the face of rather a lot of evidence to the contrary!

Was it just the one test? Could it even be the vaccine itself (and your body's reaction to it) that triggered the test?

[1] OK, you don't quite, but most of your post reads that way - especially the later thoughts.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 21st, 2021, 3:45 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:One thing strikes me about your account. You take it as an article of faith[1] that your test result was accurate. In the face of rather a lot of evidence to the contrary!

Was it just the one test? Could it even be the vaccine itself (and your body's reaction to it) that triggered the test?

[1] OK, you don't quite, but most of your post reads that way - especially the later thoughts.

The PCR tests for antigens other than the spike protein, hence avoiding false positives from vaccination.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 21st, 2021, 3:56 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:One thing strikes me about your account. You take it as an article of faith[1] that your test result was accurate. In the face of rather a lot of evidence to the contrary!

The PCR tests for antigens other than the spike protein, hence avoiding false positives from vaccination.

I can't see anywhere in the OP where Mr Clariman says it was a PCR test he took.

The LFT has a false positive rate of about one in 1,000 IIRC. I dunno the false positive rate for PCR.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 4:55 pm

Hi all. Just to be clear, it was a PCR test. I do consider that it might have been a false positive, but I don't think they are particularly common for PCR. I'll add the detail to my OP.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 21st, 2021, 4:58 pm

Clariman wrote:
I received a positive Covid-19 test less than 2 weeks after my first vaccine. We only went for tests because the Covid-Zoe study app (https://covid.joinzoe.com/) suggested we have one. This happened in February too and we were both negative and assumed the same would happen again. However, this time I was positive and Mrs C was negative.

. . . .

Another thought I had, by way of a footnote, I wonder whether the great decline in positive tests is actually not accurate. I wonder how many people like me there are out there, who are asymptomatic due to the vaccine, but also Covid positive - and never get tested.

Clariman

I'm intrigued by the fact that the Covid-Zoe app suggested that you have a Covid-19 test even though you were asymptomatic. I have only ever been asked to get a test when I had reported symptoms, albeit they were non-typical Covid symptoms (I reported things like a headache, sneezing etc). Is that you hadn't reported anything at all, but were spontaneously asked to get a test or had you reported something, just not a cough, fever or loss of taste & smell?

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 5:08 pm

Gersemi wrote:I'm intrigued by the fact that the Covid-Zoe app suggested that you have a Covid-19 test even though you were asymptomatic. I have only ever been asked to get a test when I had reported symptoms, albeit they were non-typical Covid symptoms (I reported things like a headache, sneezing etc). Is that you hadn't reported anything at all, but were spontaneously asked to get a test or had you reported something, just not a cough, fever or loss of taste & smell?

It wasn't spontaneous. I received an email from them with the following words:
You’ve recently reported feeling unwell with a particular combination of symptoms. Whilst these symptoms do not necessarily indicate that you have COVID-19, we would like to offer you a test to discover if you have the virus right now.

Rather unhelpfully they don't tell you (a) what symptoms, (b) what day, (c) whether it was my symptoms, (d) whether it was Mrs C's symptoms, (e) whether it was a combination of both our reports ..... and (f) the app doesn't seem to give you a way of looking back at your earlier reports to check what you said.

My guess is that it came from a day or a couple of days where I reported a dodgy tummy (not at all unusual sadly :oops: ) and my wife reported feeling a little nauseous.... but I'm just guessing.

So not completely random or spontaneous but I cannot say precisely what symptoms from whom it was referring to.

C

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 21st, 2021, 5:32 pm

Clariman wrote:I reported a dodgy tummy ... and my wife reported feeling a little nauseous

Yes, that can happen.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 21st, 2021, 5:33 pm

Gersemi wrote:I'm intrigued by the fact that the Covid-Zoe app suggested that you have a Covid-19 test even though you were asymptomatic. I have only ever been asked to get a test when I had reported symptoms, albeit they were non-typical Covid symptoms (I reported things like a headache, sneezing etc). Is that you hadn't reported anything at all, but were spontaneously asked to get a test or had you reported something, just not a cough, fever or loss of taste & smell?

Has it not been the case for a couple of weeks now that anyone who wants one can request a COVID-19 test (LFT), symptoms or no symptoms?

Covid: Tests to be offered twice-weekly to all in England
Published 5 April

BBC News

Everyone in England is to be given access to two rapid coronavirus tests a week from Friday, under an extension of the government's testing programme.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » April 21st, 2021, 6:22 pm

Clariman wrote:

It wasn't spontaneous. I received an email from them with the following words:
You’ve recently reported feeling unwell with a particular combination of symptoms. Whilst these symptoms do not necessarily indicate that you have COVID-19, we would like to offer you a test to discover if you have the virus right now.

Rather unhelpfully they don't tell you (a) what symptoms, (b) what day, (c) whether it was my symptoms, (d) whether it was Mrs C's symptoms, (e) whether it was a combination of both our reports ..... and (f) the app doesn't seem to give you a way of looking back at your earlier reports to check what you said.

My guess is that it came from a day or a couple of days where I reported a dodgy tummy (not at all unusual sadly :oops: ) and my wife reported feeling a little nauseous.... but I'm just guessing.

So not completely random or spontaneous but I cannot say precisely what symptoms from whom it was referring to.

C

Thanks for that Clariman. I've had a lot of these emails from the Zoe team (9, all tests negative) and my experience is that I report symptoms (any symptoms) one day and I get an email the following day. I'm guessing that you are reporting for both of you, hence the email goes to you whichever of you has symptoms.

According to the website (https://covid.joinzoe.com/blog) abdominal pains and diarrhoea can both be symptoms of Covid-19 (but your symptoms don't quite sound like either of these), but possibly these were mild symptoms? But as you say most people wouldn't get tested with these symptoms.

XFool wrote:

Has it not been the case for a couple of weeks now that anyone who wants one can request a COVID-19 test (LFT), symptoms or no symptoms?

Published 5 April

BBC News

Everyone in England is to be given access to two rapid coronavirus tests a week from Friday, under an extension of the government's testing programme.

The Zoe app gives you access to PCR tests, so these are more accurate. But yes you can get LFT tests. Being a prolific tester I've now done a couple of these (both negative). Not that surprising, I've had one shot of vaccine and I don't go out much, however I am starting to go out more in line with the relaxation of the rules, so it seems worth keeping an eye on the position.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 21st, 2021, 6:39 pm

XFool wrote:

Published 5 April

BBC News

Clariman's test was in February though - so predates the wider availability of asymptomatic LFD tests

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 6:45 pm

Clariman's test was in February though - so predates the wider availability of asymptomatic LFD tests

My earlier PCR test was February. The positive PCR test was beginning of this month.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » April 21st, 2021, 6:49 pm

The psychology of this has been interesting for me. For the reasons stated above, I have been very concerned not to expose myself to Covid.

If my test was a genuine positive then I would be much less anxious about Covid. I'd still be careful.

However the thought it could be a false positive takes that away!

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 21st, 2021, 7:10 pm

Clariman wrote:The psychology of this has been interesting for me. For the reasons stated above, I have been very concerned not to expose myself to Covid.

If my test was a genuine positive then I would be much less anxious about Covid. I'd still be careful.

Surely, this is all consistent with the published data that about a third of infections are symptomless.
IMHO it is beginning to suggest that just how bad (or not at all) a victim suffers is likely to be due to their individual genetic make-up. Some people are vulnerable, while others are not.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 21st, 2021, 7:25 pm

I must be ridiculously healthy then. I've been doing the Zoe Covid survey daily since the start, but I've never answered the symptom question with anything other than "I feel physically normal".

Scott.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 21st, 2021, 8:39 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:
Clariman wrote:The psychology of this has been interesting for me. For the reasons stated above, I have been very concerned not to expose myself to Covid.

Surely, this is all consistent with the published data that about a third of infections are symptomless.

Is it? Where did you find that out please?

The last proper examination of this I heard about on this was perhaps six months ago when Dr Campbell did a half hour video reviewing all the evidence, and concluded that the results were so disparate that no conclusion could be drawn. Other than that data showed something like between 10% and 80% od coronavirus infections were asymptomatic, i.e. the research so far has been no help at all.

(Spelling edit.)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”