Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vaccines for under 40s

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Vaccines for under 40s

Postby Gersemi » May 16th, 2021, 2:57 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
Gersemi wrote:So the latest government wheeze is that they're going to shorten the time between the first & second vaccines for over 50s to 8 weeks. How is that going to work then? I was vaccinated in the 50-54 cohort and my first vaccine was 8 weeks ago. I don't seem to have a message about getting my second vaccination yet . . .

Our Health Centre has said that they have only just received that information, and it will not be immediate, as they need more supplies of vaccine to do it.
Hello everyone.

We wanted to comment on last night's COVID press briefing announcement that the government vaccine committee (the JCVI) is recommending that second dose vaccines for over fifty-year olds is given at eight weeks and not at 10-12 weeks.
It is important to note that we received no advanced warning of this significant change in guidance and are only now able to work out how we can accommodate this change.

In effect we need to generate another two or three weeks’ worth of additional vaccination capacity into our existing programme – this will allow us to vaccinate all those people who have already waited 10 or more weeks to receive their second vaccine as well as to start to bring in everyone else at the 8 week point. This will not be something we will be able to do overnight. Please bear with us.

I hope you feel the that the vaccine programme has gone well so far and as such I hope that you will trust us and allow us time to adapt to the new target times. As such we respectfully ask that you do not contact the surgery to enquire when your vaccination will be. We will get your vaccination done as soon as we can.

Thank you for all of your patience and support.

That says it all.

TJH

Well quite. I expect it will take a couple of weeks for my GP surgery to sort all that out. Which will bring me up the time when I was expecting to get my second vacination anyway. :)

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 18th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Gersemi wrote:
Well quite. I expect it will take a couple of weeks for my GP surgery to sort all that out. Which will bring me up the time when I was expecting to get my second vacination anyway. :)

Well it looks like my scepticism was unfounded. I received a text today inviting me to contact my surgery to make an appointment for my second vaccination. I haven't contacted them yet, OH reminded me that last time we got another text a bit later with a link to book an appointment, which is a lot easier than waiting in a long telephone queue. We are off the make the most of our new found freedom to visit my FIL for a few days anyway, hopefully we can book for soon after we get back.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » May 18th, 2021, 5:33 pm

Gersemi wrote:So the latest government wheeze is that they're going to shorten the time between the first & second vaccines for over 50s to 8 weeks. How is that going to work then? I was vaccinated in the 50-54 cohort and my first vaccine was 8 weeks ago. I don't seem to have a message about getting my second vaccination yet . . .

Over 60 and a carer, not had my second yet either. But unsurprising as carers are clearly considered to be low valued expendables, as have been those in care, especially those with mental/dementia issues.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 18th, 2021, 6:46 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:

No, me neither - 55, vaccinated (AZN) just over 8 weeks ago. GP led , up at Pangbourne

Had the text today, and have booked for this Saturday (first slot available)- 9 weeks and 2 days after the first. Which is good enough for me - I can now plan my hols !

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 18th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Mike4 wrote:Now the under-40s are being invited to be vaccinated a hot new debate has opened up over in "The Combustion Chamber" (forum for gas bods).

Basically someone asked "I had covid six months ago, confirmed by PCR test at the time and subsequently confirmed by antibody test. Why should I have the vaccine, given I now have natural immunity?"

So, should he get vaccinated? And if so, why?

He should. Because COVID immunity isn't guaranteed, and doesn't last forever. (Anecdotal - my daughter had Covid at Christmas. Has not been tested for antibodies - none detected, Has had both jabs now - the test she had doesn't find vaccine antibodies only infection ones)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 18th, 2021, 7:40 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:

No, me neither - 55, vaccinated (AZN) just over 8 weeks ago. GP led , up at Pangbourne

Had the text today, and have booked for this Saturday (first slot available)- 9 weeks and 2 days after the first. Which is good enough for me - I can now plan my hols !

Which begs the question.

If we have capacity for this acceleration, why weren't we already doing it?

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » May 18th, 2021, 8:14 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:No, me neither - 55, vaccinated (AZN) just over 8 weeks ago. GP led , up at Pangbourne

Which begs the question.

If we have capacity for this acceleration, why weren't we already doing it?

Heard on the radio yesterday(ish) that vaccinations are entirely limited by their delivery.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 18th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Delivery to the site, or delivery into arms?

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Postby murraypaul » May 18th, 2021, 8:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:If we have capacity for this acceleration, why weren't we already doing it?

Presumably these are slots that would have been opened up to the early to mid thirties instead, if this change hadn't been announced.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » May 18th, 2021, 9:16 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Delivery to the site, or delivery into arms?

Delivery into the country + UK production for the Oxford-AZ vaccine. European production is I assume not available even though they don't want to use it themselves.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » May 18th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Ah, understood
We were supposed to be getting some Indian-made OXF-AZN , but I assume that is off the table now ?
There were some UK facilities for the other vaccines planned - I haven't seen the BBC graphic on it lately
I think the Pfizer one was mainly from Flanders, unless this has changed

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » May 18th, 2021, 9:42 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, understood
We were supposed to be getting some Indian-made OXF-AZN , but I assume that is off the table now ?
There were some UK facilities for the other vaccines planned - I haven't seen the BBC graphic on it lately

That's my understanding too. I think there is a new but not yet approved vaccine being manufactured in Teesside and another in Scotland.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » May 19th, 2021, 8:45 am

Sorcery wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Ah, understood

That's my understanding too. I think there is a new but not yet approved vaccine being manufactured in Teesside and another in Scotland.

The one in Teesside is Novavax. I am on the clinical trial for this.

Approval is expected in early July, as I was told by the doctor on the study during my recent check-up. A bit late for the current vaccination surge.

The UK has ordered 60m doses. It seems to be just as effective as the others, based on initial published results.

Not sure how well manufacturing is going - vaccine production is in Stockton, bottling at GSK's plant in guess where?.....Barnard Castle!! You couldn't make it up!

I was told that there will be a further trial later this year to test a booster for variants. I might well take up any offer to take part.

FD

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 19th, 2021, 9:06 am

murraypaul wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:If we have capacity for this acceleration, why weren't we already doing it?

Presumably these are slots that would have been opened up to the early to mid thirties instead, if this change hadn't been announced.

If the limiting factor is vaccine supply, this would depend upon the current government policy regarding giving the AstraZeneca jab to lower age groups.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 19th, 2021, 9:50 am

funduffer wrote:The one in Teesside is Novavax. I am on the clinical trial for this.
FD

To what extent do you still count on the trial since being unblinded?

Given the timescales, surely most trial participants over about 40 will by now have been unblinded for the same reason as you - including those who were on the placebo and were then Pfizered, Astrazenecated, or even Modernazed. That would leave a less-than-satisfactory sample!

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » May 20th, 2021, 8:01 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
funduffer wrote:The one in Teesside is Novavax. I am on the clinical trial for this.
FD

To what extent do you still count on the trial since being unblinded?

Given the timescales, surely most trial participants over about 40 will by now have been unblinded for the same reason as you - including those who were on the placebo and were then Pfizered, Astrazenecated, or even Modernazed. That would leave a less-than-satisfactory sample!

I was unblinded when I was offered a vaccine by the NHS. This was in February, when I found out I had had the vaccine (2 doses).

By February, Novavax had gathered enough data to go for MHRA approval, so I don't think the unblinding has compromised the trial. There is now a cross-over trial for those that have not been unblinded. The trial 'benefited' from the large surge in cases in December / January in getting sufficient data.

I remain on the trial, despite being unblinded, and still give them blood every 3 months to look at antibodies.

It will be interesting to see how late starters like GSK/Sanofi get on with finding unvaccinated trial participants. Perhps they will go to other countries where vaccination levels are low.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 21st, 2021, 9:59 am

My daughter and son in their early 30s now have first vacc appointments for early June, round about the time of my second.

(Central Scotland)

Scott.

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » May 21st, 2021, 10:12 am

I expected my GP would have forgotten about me, as I haven't been since I was a child, so I went on the NHS website and tried my luck. It let me book my first and second vaccine even though I was still below the age group they had announced for England - I assume the back system had been ahead of the announcements.

Best wishes

Mark.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 21st, 2021, 11:49 am

ADrunkenMarcus wrote:I expected my GP would have forgotten about me, as I haven't been since I was a child,

I think you shouldn't need anything more than to be registered somewhere or on the system - which of course you may not be, if you never registered since childhood and aren't contactable via your last-known childhood address.

I expect very few adults in approximately the first half of working life ever go to see their quack (if they see any quack it's for someone else, like a sprog). If you're basically healthy then any illness is a regular bug that will go away c/o your immune system. At worst you take to your bed and sleep it off.

Anyone got the statistics of patient profile? Isn't is something like 50% of NHS resources goes to people in the last six months of life (I made that up, but some such ballpark figure)?

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » May 21st, 2021, 12:05 pm

I'd be contactable if they wrote to my parents. I daresay I am still on the GP's books as I've not transferred, but the GPs have probably all changed by now.

I don't have the figure handy either, but there is basically a huge bulge - and not just for health services but all state expenditures. There's an enormous proportion of state expenditure incurred for the very young and the very old. In purely economic terms, the NHS is a victim of its own success. People are living longer but not healthier!

Best wishes

Mark.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”