Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

July 19th

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: July 19th

Postby servodude » July 14th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Julian wrote:I suppose I can see one upside of dropping the mask mandate. I probably won't get driven totally nuts quite as many times a day when I'm out and about and see people walking around with masks over their mouth but neatly tucked under their nostrils so that it doesn't cover their nose. Do these people really not realise that their nasal passages are also connected to their respiratory system? Have they spent their whole lives breathing only through their mouths? Not having to see as many total f*#"whits like that on the streets might lower my blood pressure somewhat.

- Julian

I believe you are allowed to point out that their "face dick is showing"

It's from (what the kids refer to as) a meme which considered the question of "what if we wore our pants as some wear their masks"

I try not to get too upset by them; as you have twigged they're probably mouth breathers anyway ;)

-sd

U962

Postby U962 » July 14th, 2021, 2:36 pm

It's called the art of complying with the law while not actually
Better and more often done in totalitarian countries and police states - which are the moment is what this country is given that laws are imposed on the UK population with no parliamentary scrutiny at all (Where is Gina Miller when you need her?)
So you comply with the law but in a way so as to negate the required effect or even better to make it worse than if the requirement was never complied with in the first place.

So in this case they are 'wearing' the face covering while wearing it in such a way as to make its wearing totally and completely pointless.

My pointless mask is more subtle. Its an ex woodworking one with an exit vent flap. So its totally unable to protect me against virus entering though the material and I breath out through the vent/flap so it totally pointless in preventing any of my possibly virus laden breath moisture droplets whatever being spread out.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 14th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Today I notice that the pub across the road from me is shut due to covid. I'm glad I resisted the invites from my friends to watch the Euros with them over there.

My cleaner returned following ten days of isolating with her husband and three year old son after he was sent home to isolate from his nursery. She and her husband both had to stop working so have lost 10 days income...she contact the local authority to see if there was any financial support...nothing. She wanted to do the right thing and tested every day for ten days, negative. How many in her situation would have continued to isolate?

I have just dropped off my daughter at the station, she was called in to work unexpectedly because of five members of staff not turning up due to covid. They are already short staffed and she is predicting they will have to close by next week.

And all this is before the restrictions are lifted.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 14th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Tell her well done, it must take a lot of will, if that makes you lose your income
I am on my penultimate day of Self Isolation after a trip to the pub (where I have been about a dozen times over the last year)
and was pinged by the NHS app 4 days later, can only assume it was the couple behind our table)
Anyway I'm fortunate as it makes little difference to me as I'm working from home anyway and usually only go out on Friday to the the shopping

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 14th, 2021, 3:53 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Today I notice that the pub across the road from me is shut due to covid. I'm glad I resisted the invites from my friends to watch the Euros with them over there.

My cleaner returned following ten days of isolating with her husband and three year old son after he was sent home to isolate from his nursery. She and her husband both had to stop working so have lost 10 days income...she contact the local authority to see if there was any financial support...nothing. She wanted to do the right thing and tested every day for ten days, negative. How many in her situation would have continued to isolate?

I have just dropped off my daughter at the station, she was called in to work unexpectedly because of five members of staff not turning up due to covid. They are already short staffed and she is predicting they will have to close by next week.

And all this is before the restrictions are lifted.

John

Indeed, one of my sons is now self-isolating. He had to return to his office last week and someone turned up with a bad cough and subsequently tested positive for Covid as has another co-worker. At OH's workplace there are now more staff absent either because they have been 'pinged' or because they have tested positive than last Winter. Of course I can see why restrictions are being lifted but I don't look forward to the consequences.

RC

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 14th, 2021, 4:01 pm

murraypaul wrote:
Lootman wrote:No, it is you who misunderstands. If you are paranoid then never leave your home. Then whether or not I wear a mask is irrelevent.

Paranoia? That sounds like you are think there is no increased risk, people are just scared of nothing.
Both weekly hospitalisations and deaths are three times higher than they were a month ago.

Covid is here to stay, sooner or later you'll contract it. Better now rather than in winter when you might have to endure the combined flu+covid at the same time.

Covid is pretty mild, had it been something far more aggressive then Parliament mismanagement of defending the realm could have been far far more devastating.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 14th, 2021, 4:04 pm

1nvest wrote:Covid is pretty mild.

You sure about that? :roll: :roll: :roll:

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » July 14th, 2021, 4:26 pm

pje16 wrote:

At least a third don't even know they've had it. Another third endure mild symptoms, snivels - could have been a cold or Covid. The last third might endure more flu like conditions, 10% of which might need to be hospitalised, 10% of which might end up in intensive care, 10% of which might die.

Wait until it mutates into something far deadlier as did the Spanish flu a century ago that went from relatively mild levels of fatalities, similar levels to what we're seeing with Covid, to where it killed more than a third of those contracting it. The saviour was that it was so aggressive that contraction in the morning saw you dead by the afternoon, drowned in your own blood filled lungs. Australia avoided that, in being a island they quarantined. The British Isles, a nation of islands could have learnt from that history, but instead opted to forget that history to instead go for 'herd immunity'. As-is BJ looks set to have more deaths on his shoulders to topple war criminal Blair's tally, and that's assuming it doesn't mutate into something far deadlier.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 14th, 2021, 4:32 pm

In the UK 128,481 people's relatives would not agree
that was my point

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 14th, 2021, 6:12 pm

1nvest wrote:
pje16 wrote:

At least a third don't even know they've had it. Another third endure mild symptoms, snivels - could have been a cold or Covid. The last third might endure more flu like conditions, 10% of which might need to be hospitalised, 10% of which might end up in intensive care, 10% of which might die.

Wait until it mutates into something far deadlier as did the Spanish flu a century ago that went from relatively mild levels of fatalities, similar levels to what we're seeing with Covid, to where it killed more than a third of those contracting it. The saviour was that it was so aggressive that contraction in the morning saw you dead by the afternoon, drowned in your own blood filled lungs.

Wonder if that was a "variant of concern"? i.e. A mutation.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 14th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Just swabbed the chap who co-owns the office building where we are leasing a clinic space. He was feeling crap...yup he was positive. He has been in close proximity to about 35 people today, he was at Wembley on Sunday. He is off to the NHS PCR centre tomorrow, test and trace will have a job on their hands with his contacts...

We are picking up several positives a week and getting multiple cancelled test to fly appointments due to positive covid contacts.

Back in the winter we were not getting anywhere near this level of positives. This is very concerning.

John

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » July 14th, 2021, 10:03 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

Back in the winter we were not getting anywhere near this level of positives. This is very concerning.

John

After a few days together by the seaside, my OH has tested positive, I'm negative (via PCR tests). We're both double jabbed from several weeks ago. I know three other people testing positive after double jabbing, none who had contact with the others. One in the vulnerable category ended up in hospital (but home now).

It's all very well telling us to be careful, but what's the point of relaxing restrictions if we all continue to stay at home? That won't help the struggling businesses. I suppose the theory is that we will be less ill.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 14th, 2021, 10:09 pm

pje16 wrote:In the UK 128,481 people's relatives would not agree
that was my point

I know two people who lost parents to covid.

The worst thing for them, by a mile, has been lockdown. I'm sorry to say they are very much in the position I am in - increasingly isolated as they do not support the restrictions. Increasingly worried about their children and what kind of society they will live in.

I'm horrified every time I hop on this board. People are becoming more and more obsessed with "fighting the virus".

I did predict that, but their parents died in March and April last year. So they were obviously busy with other things but now are very worried about where things are headed.

That said, a therapist contact has told me his workload has changed a lot, now he's mostly dealing with people who can't cope with living like this, or, most interesting to me, people who can't keep on "pretending" to care.

Props to the French today

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/fr ... 021-07-14/

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 14th, 2021, 10:14 pm

pje16 wrote:WOW I agree with Sadiq Kahn for once
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57832179

Another win for pessimism

I knew I'd be advertising my health status for a long time

Might as well wear a sign that says "mug me, I'm vulnerable".

I take it we are still not allowed to swear on this board. Le sigh.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » July 14th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
The worst thing for them, by a mile, has been lockdown. I'm sorry to say they are very much in the position I am in - increasingly isolated as they do not support the restrictions. Increasingly worried about their children and what kind of society they will live in.

I'm horrified every time I hop on this board. People are becoming more and more obsessed with "fighting the virus".

I completely agree.

A large part of the population (not just on this board) seem to have completely lost all sense of perspective.

People's fears and hysterias in relation to covid seem to have lost all perspective in relation to the real risks we were taking every day, all the time pre- sars-cov-2

There do however seem to be two distinct camps...

1. Hysterical zombies, who have no idea about the science at all, and are just falling for the media generated hysteria... like a woman interviewed on the street by the local news earlier where I am (reet oop north england), who said she thought it was too soon to relax, because she too, thought we still needed to be all out fighting the virus ... though it was abundantly clear she had no idea of the science or the data, and her position was entirely emotional. But opinion pieces in the media (TV, papers, etc) have recognised that people are lapping up the fear mongering, etc, and so are going even more hysterical. And it seems to have reached a self sustaining escape velocity for a while now, where opinion pieces are stoking fears, which gets readers hooked, which then makes the opinion piece writers give the readers more of what they want.

2. Armchair, amateur scientists who are completely focussed on the numbers and nothing but the numbers. These reductionists feel it's an academic game against the virus, and have lost sight of balance... they rarely (I'm being generous; I mean never) put the numbers dispassionately in context with related numbers from how we were quite happily, as a society, living with risk and death pre-covid. This is why I call them reductionists, because, as you say they are obsessed with fighting the virus - and that is all they consider. Worse still, these people seem to pigeon hole anyone who doesn't share their OCD reductionist stance as being Trump-esque covid deniers, anti-vaxxers, etc. As has just been illustrated on another thread on this board where someone simply provided an observation of the current situation re. covd deaths in vaccinated vs unvaccinated individuals, without comment or judgement, and needless to say, at least two of the responses appear to be making assumptions that the poster is either claiming vaccines don't work, or things along those lines.

I'm also horrified at the flawed conclusions being drawn, even by some seemingly otherwise intelligent contributors. I hope any covid inquiry doesn't fall into such flawed reasoning.

Things like claiming (legally mandated) lockdowns 'work' - with the implication the legal mandate is necessary, and has allegedly been proven. Which is utter nonsense. The virus doesn't know about legalities, what matters is chains of infection. And it does a huge disservice to the average human to presume that without legal mandate that they would continue to behave totally as normal, not even adapting their behaviour in response to rising deaths and such like.

Ironically, the very hysteria that we are seeing at the minute with so many still wanting to legally mandate face nappies, in itself shows how the population is adapting their behaviour. The very fact that there are so many hysterical people demanding mandatory face nappies, shows that if anything, the general public would be quite likely to over-react if they were given responsibility without legal compulsion.

Right now, I'm up in the lake district. Normally I avoid it at this time of year, expecting it to be absolutely crammed with people. And more so this year with everyone having been locked down the past 12 months, foreign holidays a bit risky, etc, I expected loads of people up here.

I've been amazed at how quiet it is... at least relative to what I expected. We went for a walk today in one of the central areas that we would normally expect to be busy, and only saw around 5 or 6 other people on the path we took.

I get the feeling that the media generated hysteria, focussing on the risk of virus spread related to the football match and such like ... which is only affecting probably a small % of the population ... is having the effect of moderating the behaviour of the substantial majority of the population, with a lot of people still not willing to risk doing things - even like going for walks outside (even when the virus is known not to particularly transmit outside) - all demonstrating that the bulk of the effects in managing the virus are coming from people's own individual decisions, and not the legally mandated aspects.

The whole pandemic seems to have induced a psychosis in the population whereby everyone believes that everyone else is an irresponsible jerk who would act like an unflinching, brain dead zombie who would never, ever moderate their (wild, irresponsible) behaviour, were their actions not constrained by law.

Rather akin to how the majority of drivers think they are better than average, it seems that the majority of people think that they themselves are better than average when it comes to social responsibility, it's just that everyone else needs the mandates. And this is where the (flawed) belief that legally mandated lockdowns were necessary, is arising from.

Take a look at Sweden....

"Sweden
Unlike most countries, Sweden has relied mainly on voluntary measures to stem the spread of infections, ......
Since the spring, cases have continued to fall steeply... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57796133"

But as always, those lockdown fanatics will just dismiss it, and it won't take long for someone to conflate them with Trump and Bolsonario, and round the loop we go again...

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 14th, 2021, 11:41 pm

*onthemove*
I would rec that post several times if I could.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 15th, 2021, 6:18 am

onthemove wrote:
Ironically, the very hysteria that we are seeing at the minute with so many still wanting to legally mandate face nappies,

And in choosing to use this unpleasant and emotive term "face nappy" (instead of the neutral term 'face covering') you frame your own set of prejudices, so I stopped reading your post.

Covid is like religion isn't it? People seem to adopt a position and won't shift from it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 15th, 2021, 6:23 am

Not sure that referring to face masks as "face nappies" is consistent with taking a dispassionate view .

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 15th, 2021, 6:26 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Just swabbed the chap who co-owns the office building where we are leasing a clinic space. He was feeling crap...yup he was positive.

He has been in close proximity to about 35 people today, he was at Wembley on Sunday.

He is off to the NHS PCR centre tomorrow, test and trace will have a job on their hands with his contacts...

Any idea of his vaccination status John?

He sounds old enough to be eligible, but it's not clear if he'd taken up the offer or not, or where he might have been in terms of timescales etc. if he had...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 15th, 2021, 6:49 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Just swabbed the chap who co-owns the office building where we are leasing a clinic space. He was feeling crap...yup he was positive.

He has been in close proximity to about 35 people today, he was at Wembley on Sunday.

He is off to the NHS PCR centre tomorrow, test and trace will have a job on their hands with his contacts...

Any idea of his vaccination status John?

He sounds old enough to be eligible, but it's not clear if he'd taken up the offer or not, or where he might have been in terms of timescales etc. if he had...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

He'd just had his second jab on Monday.

John

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”