Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

NHS APP pings

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

Have you uninstalled the NHS app?

Yes
13%
No
43%
Never had it
43%
Would rather not say
No votes

Total votes: 76

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: NHS APP pings

Postby Mike4 » July 18th, 2021, 1:43 pm

moorfield wrote:Think it might installed on our burner phone. Not sure, never pay much attention to that one.

Well that's not a very responsible attitude to the NHS infection monitoring app.

Delete it immediately!!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2021, 2:41 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Don't worry if you get pinged, just do as the PM and chancellor are doing and start an NHS trial where you just test yourself each morning instead...who knew it could be so simple.

A thought experiment for you. Suppose you have to be locked up in a cell with a stranger for the next 24 hours. However you are given a choice:

1) Someone who has been pinged but is getting tested and monitored daily.
2) A stranger about whom you know nothing.

Which would you choose, and why?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2021, 2:46 pm

chas49 wrote:No. If you're contacted by T&T and told to isolate, you are required by law to comply.

Does anyone have a clue how you're supposed to tell a cold call from T&T from a cold call by anyone else, including someone impersonating them?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 18th, 2021, 2:49 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Don't worry if you get pinged, just do as the PM and chancellor are doing and start an NHS trial where you just test yourself each morning instead...who knew it could be so simple.

A thought experiment for you. Suppose you have to be locked up in a cell with a stranger for the next 24 hours. However you are given a choice:

I think you are confused as to my views on this matter. I'd much rather everyone that was pinged by test and trace just tested daily. Mrs RS is dealing with covid positive patients most days and she takes a daily test. I think it is ridiculous that Boris and Rishi are now isolating.

John

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 18th, 2021, 2:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
chas49 wrote:No. If you're contacted by T&T and told to isolate, you are required by law to comply.

Does anyone have a clue how you're supposed to tell a cold call from T&T from a cold call by anyone else, including someone impersonating them?

Only by asking them some information that T&T should have but someone impersonating them would probably not have, such as (perhaps) your NHS number.

RC

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2021, 2:52 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I think you are confused as to my views on this matter. I'd much rather everyone that was pinged by test and trace just tested daily. Mrs RS is dealing with covid positive patients most days and she takes a daily test. I think it is ridiculous that Boris and Rishi are now isolating.

Then I apologise, I thought you were suggesting that the "NHS trial" was bogus.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 18th, 2021, 3:35 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Only by asking them some information that T&T should have but someone impersonating them would probably not have, such as (perhaps) your NHS number.

RC

This page (at fullfact.org) (https://fullfact.org/online/test-and-trace-scam/) says (in part):

If you have tested positive for coronavirus, you will either receive a call, text, or email from NHS Test and Trace with instructions on how to share details of people you have been in close recent contact with.

If you’ve been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you will be contacted in the same ways and asked about symptoms.

You will only ever be called from the number 0300 013 5000, or you will be texted from “NHS”.

However, as some have pointed out on Twitter, it is relatively easy for scammers to fake numbers.

Because of this, if you do not feel comfortable talking on the phone, or suspect the call to be a scam, you can ask for an email or a text that will invite you to use the Test and Trace web site instead.

From this email, you should only ever be directed to this web address: contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 22nd, 2021, 11:12 am

more than 600,000 between 8 and 15 July.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57929162
the week before my mate and I did down the pub - neither of us had it :roll:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 22nd, 2021, 12:38 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
Lootman wrote:A thought experiment for you. Suppose you have to be locked up in a cell with a stranger for the next 24 hours. However you are given a choice:

Then I apologise, I thought you were suggesting that the "NHS trial" was bogus.

It was their surprising coincidental selection to take part in the (real) trial that was bogus, Shirley.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 22nd, 2021, 1:45 pm

Lootman wrote:

It's a complete no-brainer if you base your decision on data. ONS data shows 34% of "pingees" develop Covid.
“The fact that around one-third of people who are asked to self-isolate as contacts go on to become ill themselves shows the importance of this system. "

You seem to be suggesting a very large proportion of the £37 billion spent on Test'n'Trace is just a colossal waste of money.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 22nd, 2021, 1:57 pm

zico wrote:It's a complete no-brainer if you base your decision on data. ONS data shows 34% of "pingees" develop Covid.
“The fact that around one-third of people who are asked to self-isolate as contacts go on to become ill themselves shows the importance of this system. "

What a fascinating statistic!

What would be even more fascinating is a breakdown of that 34% into the two-jabbed, the once-jabbed and the never jabbed (including children).

(Edit to shuffle toe words about a bit.)

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm

Here's an even more fascinating statistic from the ONS data.
Of the 34% of people who developed Covid symptoms after being pinged -

36% already have symptoms when they were pinged
9% had symptoms that same day
27% symptoms appeared 1-2 days later
15% symptoms, 3-4 days later

So, of those developing symptoms, 87% got them within 4 days after being pinged. (36%+9%+27%+15%=82%).

The obvious conclusion (to me at least) is that if you want to reduce the so-called "pingdemic" while controlling the spread of the virus, people should be asked to self-isolate for 4 days after being pinged.
13% of infections will be missed, but people will be able to get out of self-isolation sooner.

(For completeness, 9% of people get symptoms 5-6 days after Ping Day, and 3% after 7-10 days.)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 22nd, 2021, 3:07 pm

zico wrote:The obvious conclusion (to me at least) is that if you want to reduce the so-called "pingdemic" while controlling the spread of the virus, people should be asked to self-isolate for 4 days after being pinged.
13% of infections will be missed, but people will be able to get out of self-isolation sooner.

Not only will a four day self-isolation mean 60% fewer working days lost (?), but I'd suggest it might result in a far higher compliance in the first place. 10 days is a big sacrifice and many people simply cannot or will not fully comply. Change it to four days and I bet nearly everyone pinged would accept 4 days of isolation more willingly.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 22nd, 2021, 3:13 pm

Mike4 wrote:
zico wrote:The obvious conclusion (to me at least) is that if you want to reduce the so-called "pingdemic" while controlling the spread of the virus, people should be asked to self-isolate for 4 days after being pinged.

Not only will a four day self-isolation mean 60% fewer working days lost (?), but I'd suggest it might result in a far higher compliance in the first place. 10 days is a big sacrifice and many people simply cannot or will not fully comply. Change it to four days and I bet nearly everyone pinged would accept 4 days of isolation more willingly.

It took 5 days from being at the venue for me to get pinged !

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 22nd, 2021, 3:21 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Yes, completely agree. There must be some sensible reason why this isn't policy - I just can't think what it could be.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » July 22nd, 2021, 5:36 pm

pje16 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

It took 5 days from being at the venue for me to get pinged !

Yes it does take some time to get pinged (after all the infected person has to develop symptoms and get tested). But Zico was quoting results from the date people got pinged, they will have all been subject to a similar delay.

I agree that this seems to be a sensible compromise, given that we know that people tend to be infectious before they develop symptoms (assuming that they continue to take daily LFTs for 6 days after isolation).

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 29th, 2021, 12:28 pm

another record number of pings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58008618
hopefully will all end on 16 August 8-)

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 29th, 2021, 3:28 pm

pje16 wrote:another record number of pings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58008618
hopefully will all end on 16 August 8-)

I might actually switch the proximity monitoring function back on for my still-installed app on 16-Aug mostly out of interest to see if/when I get pinged. Right now my conscience wouldn't let me ignore the strong advice/request to self isolate for 10 days after contact but once that advice changes I wouldn't have an issue with lateral-flow testing myself daily for however many days after contact the new advice specifies.

I have a friend who has done a week out / 8 days isolating /4 days out /8 days isolating cycle in the last month. He was only out of his first isolation for a few days before getting pinged to go back into isolation again. A negative PCR test for the first isolation and he didn't bother to get a test the second time, he simply stayed in isolation for the required time and never developed any symptoms.

- Julian

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 29th, 2021, 3:42 pm

I got pinged on 10 July (from a visit to a local pub which has very good Covid rules in place, been there about a dozen times in the current setup)
Pub trip was 5 days earlier on 5 July
Both my friend and I got pinged - both tested negative, and have no idea who it was who caused it as no-one was close to either of us for the supposed 15 minutes that it takes
Not impressed by the app :roll:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 29th, 2021, 4:51 pm

My step son's girlfriend has just been contacted by NHS test and trace via email and text. She flew back Madeira with him last Thursday and has been nowhere without my step son the whole time since then. Neither have the app. He has not been contacted via NHS T&T.

Strange.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”