Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

When would a potential covid infection show up on a lateral flow?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

When would a potential covid infection show up on a lateral flow?

Postby Clariman » July 18th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Today I was with other people indoors for a couple of hours. In the unlikely event that I picked up anything when would I expect that to show up on a lateral flow test?

Just wondering when to do a test. Would normally do one on a Monday but thinking Tuesday might be more sensible.

Cheers
Clariman

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: When would a potential covid infection show up on a lateral flow?

Postby redsturgeon » July 18th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Mrs RS says you are unlikely to see any positive result before Weds.

John

vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Postby vagrantbrain » July 18th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Anywhere between 2 and 14 days after contact, average 5 days, so probably mid-week before it would be detected

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 19th, 2021, 8:13 am

Thanks both. I'll do my normal Monday and Thursday routine then. I'm not expecting an issue but it was probably my highest risk activity since it started.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » July 19th, 2021, 11:26 am

Clariman wrote:Today I was with other people indoors for a couple of hours. In the unlikely event that I picked up anything when would I expect that to show up on a lateral flow test?

Just wondering when to do a test. Would normally do one on a Monday but thinking Tuesday might be more sensible.

Cheers
Clariman

I got "pinged" on Sunday 11 July and did a PCR test on 12/07/21. I was negative and OH positive.
15/07/21 - lateral flow test negative
16/07/21 - PCR test inconclusive (after I was invited to join the pilot to see if doubled jabbed people can avoid isolation, but put into the 'control group', natch).
18/07/21 - PCR test positive. 10 more days of isolation :cry: . Still at least OH will be let out soon and can run all the errands.

I don't know if I caught it from the original source (I've felt a bit "off" for the last week, but cold symptoms were more pronounced yesterday, better today). or OH. I now know three doubled vaxed couples where one half has tested positive and the other has subsequently tested positive. My take home is that spending all day every day with someone infected is not a good idea if you don't want to catch Covid.

On the other hand going forward I feel that it's considerably less likely that I'll test positive in the future (or medium term at any rate) just before a looked forward to event, which can only be a good thing.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 19th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks both. I'll do my normal Monday and Thursday routine then. I'm not expecting an issue but it was probably my highest risk activity since it started.

The LFT detect virus particles in the nasal passages and throat. In order to get enough to detect, you need to be exposed, the virus to infect the bloodstream, replicate, and then re-emerge into the respiratory tract in sufficient numbers to be detected.

As well as a test for being infected, it is probably as much (if not more of) a guide as to whether someone is infectious. Hence it is a usefull tool for screening before admission to a care home etc., but only if done in the preceeding 12 hours or so.

A PCR test, being much more sensitive, should pick up an infection at an earlier stage.

Paul

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”