Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pingdemic to breed real plague?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Pingdemic to breed real plague?

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 20th, 2021, 3:58 pm

I put my rubbish out last night, as did my neighbours over quite a wide area. For regular Tuesday morning collection.

It's still out there now, festering in what the weather reports as 28° heat - so much more in the sun. Apparently too many dustmen have been pinged, so the service is disrupted. How long before we get a real plague?

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Pingdemic to breed real plague?

Postby 88V8 » July 20th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Interesting.
Our recycling was collected as usual.
I wonder what attitude the unions are taking to pings?
But then I imagine union members on the whole will be paid while they are [supposedly] isolating.

V8

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » July 20th, 2021, 7:21 pm

88V8 wrote:Interesting.
Our recycling was collected as usual.
I wonder what attitude the unions are taking to pings?
But then I imagine union members on the whole will be paid while they are [supposedly] isolating.

V8

Postcode lottery by the sound of it. We’ve had a few local news stories over the last week about uncollected rubbish and when the council is saying that the backlog will be cleared so I’m seeing a similar thing to UncleE.

- Julian

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 22nd, 2021, 11:21 pm

Posted Tuesday at 3:58.

About the same time today, they finally came. Given that they usually come in the morning, that's a delay of about 55 hours in the hottest spell so far this year.

What's in some ways worse, absolutely no information from the council. No word of a problem on their website, let alone followup questions like when to put it out next week (which includes the non-recycling black bags - this week didn't). I filled in the "report a missed collection" form in the hope of finding some information on the way, but nothing!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 22nd, 2021, 11:35 pm

Our recycling wasn't collected on Monday, and now they've said it'll have to wait two weeks due to staff shortages
I did have the rather evil and cynical thought.. if I were working on the bins and the opportunity arose to phone in 'pinged' during a heatwave I'd be tempted to spend a week or so down the garden with a cool beer getting paid, rather than up at stupid o'clock hauling smelly bins around.
If they actually check, I'm sure it's straightforward to find a 'positive' person and get your phone within pinging distance (even if it's through a window if they are genuinely infected)
I'm sure 99% are genuine though. :o

rabbit
Lemon Pip

Postby rabbit » July 23rd, 2021, 12:21 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Posted Tuesday at 3:58.

About the same time today, they finally came. Given that they usually come in the morning, that's a delay of about 55 hours in the hottest spell so far this year.

What's in some ways worse, absolutely no information from the council. No word of a problem on their website, let alone followup questions like when to put it out next week (which includes the non-recycling black bags - this week didn't). I filled in the "report a missed collection" form in the hope of finding some information on the way, but nothing!

My bins and recycling were bang on time this week. Indeed the local collectors here haven't missed a single day throughout the pandemic (and we live down a 400 yard private cart track!). Well done them. Maybe we're close enough to the pub and the sea that there's no need to get pinged in order to be able to wind down and enjoy the sunshine after work.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » July 23rd, 2021, 8:54 am

Surely the problem is that if you allow people to go into work when they have been pinged, is that if they subsequently test positive they will have been around colleagues when they are infectious and so that could lead to more people in one workplace being off at the same time and being sick (as opposed to just isolating) as well? This will depend on how well the employer is able to provide "Covid secure" workplaces, but I'm getting the impression this is going by the wayside.

What I'm not clear about is whether a person is likely to be infectious before they show positive on a lateral flow test - does anyone know?

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”