Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Vaxxers

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Dod101
The full Lemon

Vaxxers

Postby Dod101 » August 15th, 2021, 10:53 pm

This may have been covered elsewhere, in fact I would be surprised if it has not been, but I have just read the book 'Vaxxers' by Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green, the first being the Professor and the second merely a Dr. Quite fascinating, detailing the development of the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine to 'vaccine in arms' in almost exactly one year. Apart from the details of the day to day developments, I found the final chapter on what we need to do (in their opinion) to counter the next pandemic (Disease Y as they call it) very instructive and I hope that those in government read it and ponder on it as well.

For all those who have expressed opinions on what has happened over the last 18 months or so I strongly recommend they should buy and read this book. It of course does not have all the answers, but these two scientists who have led on the front line ought to be listened to.

Dod

Moderator Message:
I have amended a small error to remove temptation for those of a pedantic bent

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Vaxxers

Postby Arborbridge » August 16th, 2021, 7:10 am

Dod101 wrote:This may have been covered elsewhere, in fact I would be surprised if it has not been, but I have just read the book 'Vaxxers' by Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green, the first being the Professor and the second merely a Dr. Quite fascinating, detailing the development of the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine to 'vaccine in arms' in almost exactly one year. Apart from the details of the day to day developments, I found the final chapter on what we need to do (in their opinion) to counter the next pandemic (Disease Y as they call it) very instructive and I hope that those in government read it and ponder on it as well.

For all those who have expressed opinions on what has happened over the last 18 months or so I strongly recommend they should buy and read this book. It of course does not have all the answers, but these two scientists who have lead on the front line ought to be listened to.

Dod

I'm glad they found the time to document what happened as it'll not only be a valuable record, but an answer to all those who questioned the process and cast doubt upon the vaccine.

Anti-vaxxers will still not be convinced, however, but the weight of opinion will be behind them.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 16th, 2021, 8:21 am

Moderator Message:
I have removed the three off topic posts on grammar. There is a board for those who wish to continue that discussion
viewforum.php?f=70

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 16th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dod101 wrote:I hope that those in government read it and ponder on it as well.

I do agree, but I fear their attention will wander back to the usual nonsense, and they will mentally delegate the whole episode to a Royal Commission or whatever form of can kicking has been chosen. After all, most of them will be out of office before the next nasty event, so why should they worry.

The creation of the vaccine has though been a marvel of modern science.

V8

Moderator Message:
Off topic content removed

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 16th, 2021, 11:00 am

88V8 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I hope that those in government read it and ponder on it as well.

I do agree, but I fear their attention will wander back to the usual nonsense, and they will mentally delegate the whole episode to a Royal Commission or whatever form of can kicking has been chosen. After all, most of them will be out of office before the next nasty event, so why should they worry.

The creation of the vaccine has though been a marvel of modern science.

V8

Moderator Message:
Off topic content removed

I suspect and certainly hope that this pandemic will be taken as a wake up call for humanity. Fortunately it is not simply a matter for one government but a worldwide problem. The WHO which seems an obvious centre point appears to have been nobbled by the Chinese but we need to have a completely open and frank exchange of information and views for this to work next time.

I urge everyone with an interest in the vaccine to read the book.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 16th, 2021, 11:27 am

I get tested every month for the ONS research program
The tester who came to adminster the test last week was VERY Interesting
He did research into antibodies and talking to him for 5-10 minutes was fascinating
His website aims to blow away a lot of the mystery and explain things in laymans terms
https://www.biochem123.org/

Allitnil
Lemon Pip

Postby Allitnil » August 16th, 2021, 11:51 am

Just seen that Vaxxers was the Radio 4 book of the week last month and is still available (1st ep expires in a couple of days) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/m000xz33

Gilbert & Green were also on the Full Disclosure podcast a few weeks ago talking about their work.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”