Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Is this how we get through the pandemic?

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Is this how we get through the pandemic?

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2021, 6:57 pm

onthemove wrote:...

Ignoring all the nonsense.

onthemove wrote:I just cannot fathom why all the values and freedoms that we've lived with up until now, are no longer valid when it comes to covid.

Ah, "freedom"! Wondered when somebody was going to wave that magic (but weasel) word around. Like: "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Who can possibly be against "freedom"? But whose "freedom"? What kind of "freedom"? "Freedom" for who?

There is more than one kind of freedom. Is there "freedom" in illness or death? Your "freedom" may not be mine, quite possibly the opposite.

onthemove wrote:I find it staggering, how some people scream "IT'S INFECTIOUS" to argue for restrictions on liberty, mandates on what people must wear, when those same people were never demanding such things in response to other INFECTIOUS agents that can and do KILL people with compromised immune systems, etc.

Now that REALLY is what you call a non sequitur! Not to mention a whopping case of whataboutery.

I find it "staggering" how some people, in the midst of a global pandemic, can still dismiss the significance and meaning of "infectious".

I was previously asked to justify this:
XFool wrote:Every day, in more and more ways, I hear evidence of the truth of my previous 'rash' statement: "After all this time, many people seem to me to still not understand the meaning of the word 'infectious'."

That's a QED then.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Anyway, contrary to some of the things I read on here and elsewhere, I observe:

People in queues at vaccination centres.

When I was recently on the London tube: most were wearing masks, only a minority were not.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2021, 7:29 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/nov/16/coronavirus-news-live-kyiv-cremations-double-amid-rise-in-covid-deaths-new-zealand-vaccine-mandate-kicks-in-for-front-line-workers

Germany set to tighten rules for unvaccinated as Covid cases rise
Kate Connolly Kate Connolly
Germany is paving the way for the introduction of tighter restrictions on people who have so far chosen not to be vaccinated against Covid-19, in an effort to control its highest infection levels since the pandemic began.

"highest infection levels" - Funny! It's that word again. ;)

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » November 16th, 2021, 8:57 pm

XFool wrote:
onthemove wrote:...

Ignoring all the nonsense.

So you've quoted me, but removed all my words completely.

With none of my words quoted, but attribution for the empty space assigned to me, you've then derogatively dismissed my contribution as nonsense.

So you've not even had the courtesy to let people know what you are dismissing as nonsense.

Nor have you provided any kind of substance or rational to back up your derogative assertion to which I could respond.

This is pretty much by definition as personal an attack as you can get. You haven't included any substance of what I said, and you haven't added any substance of your own... you've simply identified me, and proclaimed that you are ignoring "all the nonsense".

Perhaps I shouldn't have expected anything more. It's a fairly common tactic on the internet that once someone realises they have lost the argument, that they switch tactic to attacking the opponent rather than responding to the argument.

XFool wrote:
onthemove wrote:I find it staggering, how some people scream "IT'S INFECTIOUS" to argue for restrictions on liberty, mandates on what people must wear, when those same people were never demanding such things in response to other INFECTIOUS agents that can and do KILL people with compromised immune systems, etc.

Now that REALLY is what you call a non sequitur! Not to mention a whopping case of whataboutery.

Perhaps you could clarify...?

I've looked up the meaning of "non sequitur" and it means "a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement."

Let's recap...

You keep banging on about covid being "infectious"... in fact, you even repeat your exasperation...

XFool wrote:I find it "staggering" how some people, in the midst of a global pandemic, can still dismiss the significance and meaning of "infectious".

Yet, you seem to be positioning this as being specific to covid... perhaps I've missed it, but have you been vocal about the common cold being "infectious" or the flu being "infectious", and therefore needing restrictions or similar?

You see, to put it into propositional logic form...

Your argument - repeatedly complaining that people 'don't seem to understand the meaning of infectious' - seems to be describable by this logical proposition...

• Claim = (X is infectious ⇒ Restrictions on freedom required to combat X)

Yet we also have these facts (propositions in propositional logic terms)...

• P = Flu is infectious
  • Q = Covid is infectious
  • R = Common cold is infectious

I don't believe that any of the above 3 propositions are in any way contentious. Unless you have a different meaning of "infectious" in mind?

If we apply the rules of propositional logic combining the Claim with each of these 3 propositions, we arrive at these 3 new propositions...

• (P ∧ Claim) ⊢ Restrictions on freedom required to combat Flu
  • (Q ∧ Claim) ⊢ Restrictions on freedom required to combat Covid
  • (R ∧ Claim) ⊢ Restrictions on freedom required to combat Common Cold

Yet, in the real world, based on observation, these 3 propositions appear to be true...

X ⇒ ¬(Restrictions on freedom required to combat Flu)
    Y ⇒ ¬(Restrictions on freedom required to combat the Common Cold)
    Z ⇒ (Restrictions on freedom required to combat Covid)
(Note the negation symbols on X and Y)

In other words, it only seems to be in the context of covid being infectious, that requires any restrictions in the real world.

But we can see from this a clear logical contradiction in relation flu where we have both...

• ¬(Restrictions on freedom required to combat flu)
    (Restrictions on freedom required to combat flu)

And same for the Common Cold.

In logical terms, this is called a contradiction and is an indication that some aspect of the model/argument is flawed.

In simple terms it is not rational to argue that because covid is infectious, restrictions on freedom are require to combat covid, and yet hold that another infectious agent (e.g. flu or common cold) doesn't necessitate restrictions on freedom.

What this logic demonstrates is that whether or not restrictions on freedom are 'required' or not, does not automatically depend (solely) on the "meaning of infectious".

Whether or not something is infections does not (at least on its own) determine whether restrictions are needed. It may play a part, but it clearly is not the only part by a long shot.

Therefore repeated assertions that people don't understand the meaning of the word "infectious", without considering other factors, makes no logical sense.

Clearly, in the real world, the reason the flu and the common cold don't necessitate restrictions on freedoms, etc, is (amongst other things) because the level of deaths that these diseases cause, is considered an acceptable balance for society.

And as such, I believe it is perfectly logical and rational to view covid in the same way, and that simply arguing that 'covid is infectious' and 'why don't people understand what infectious means', is logically inconsistent with how society views other 'infectious' diseases.

Conclusion

It is perfectly reasonable and rational, and entirely consistent with our approach to other infectious diseases, to consider what level of trade off in terms of deaths vs restrictions on freedoms is considered acceptable by society.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2021, 9:03 pm

...Jesus Christ! ;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 16th, 2021, 9:17 pm

XFool wrote:...Jesus Christ! ;)

Yeah he could possibly help... or The A-Team if you can find them

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 16th, 2021, 9:43 pm

dealtn wrote:
XFool wrote:So you also think "eating junk food" is infectious? Smoking - possibly more so?

You really need to stop this, unless you can find (or start) a "Noone (else) understands what infectious means" thread.

Don't tempt me! :)

dealtn wrote:The argument here isn't that some deaths are from infectious diseases, or not. It's that deaths generally occur for variety of reasons, some in isolation, some connected, some infectious, but that society (and individuals within that society) assess risk and act according to how that probability and outcome affects them, and others.

Quite so, quite so. And, in the middle of a global pandemic of an infectious disease some continue to use analogies with non-infectious illnesses and endemic infectious diseases. Must be me, I guess...

dealtn wrote:If, in this instance, it is ok for many thousands to die of obesity, but it is not ok for fewer (even a very few) to die of an infectious diseases can you please articulate why.

Who said it's "OK"? Not me. Are you saying we don't, or shouldn't try to stop deaths from obesity? Are you saying the UK government has never tried to reduce such deaths? Are you saying obesity is infectious? Oh no! Of course you aren't. Neither is anybody else (so I'm told). So, therefore, why...? etc.

dealtn wrote:Can you also extend that to other infectious diseases and explain why in previous times your argument has been absent

It hasn't. It wasn't. It won't be.

Then again, as well as not really understanding the meaning of "infectious", could there be a problem understanding "endemic" as well? ;)
Plus, what is merely endemic can in turn, become pandemic. Flu has been waved about; interestingly, my understanding is the authorities were always worried (and still will be) that the next pandemic was going to be from influenza. (It's infectious, you know.)

dealtn wrote:Honestly, we get what infectious is, and means. Not a single person on this thread, nor likely across the whole site, has made any claim about eating junk food being infectious. Nobody thinks this.

So they keep on using this kind of thing as an 'analogy' because...?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 17th, 2021, 12:25 am

XFool wrote:
dealtn wrote:Honestly, we get what infectious is, and means. Not a single person on this thread, nor likely across the whole site, has made any claim about eating junk food being infectious. Nobody thinks this.

So they keep on using this kind of thing as an 'analogy' because...?

See also "Cars kill, but we don't ban driving."

Dealtn I don't think you need take Xfools comments personally

These specious analogies are raised repeatedly but TBH I think those posting that knid of tosh know they're bogus (they're just "that way inclined")

I totally agree that most certainly do "get what infectious is and means"
But I honestly think that grokking geometric growth doesn't come naturally (that's why you can still write articles about the "miracle" of compounding)

Throughout this pandemic we have regularly seen folk bandy about or quote figures that aren't quite what they claim they are
- or point at some data and say something farcical (as per the fact that lockdowns always happen just after things have peaked - everywhere in the world :roll: )

All we can do is try to help; however you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it understand exponents (you can turn them in to glue though)

- sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”