Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vitamin D Update

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vitamin D Update

Postby jfgw » December 13th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us.

Dr. Campell is a proper doctor, i.e., someone with a doctorate — a PhD, not a medical practitioner who is allowed to call himself a "doctor" by the back door without having done a research-based degree.

From Wikipedia,
Campbell received a diploma in nursing from the University of London and Bachelor of Science in biology from the Open University. He subsequently earned a Master of Science in health science from the University of Lancaster and a Ph.D. in nursing education from the University of Bolton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(nurse)

To earn a PhD, he will have had to have undertaken original research and will have personally added to the world's wealth of knowledge — something that most medical "doctors" will not have done. He is the author of the ebook, "Campbell's Physiology Notes For Nurses" https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Campbell%27s+Physiology+Notes+For+Nurses-p-9780470032411 as well as a couple of free-to-download ebooks.

Credibility comprises at least two factors: knowledge and intelligence. It is possible to have encyclopedic knowledge and apply it in a formulaic manner without understanding any of it (like a computer program), and it is possible to know less but understand more, be open to new ideas and research, and to work things out for oneself. I have come across medical "doctors" of the "it should, therefore it does, and it shouldn't, therefore it doesn't" brigade who insist, "it doesn't do that" when it clearly does. I trust Dr. John Campbell far more than I trust any of these.

Competence is far more important than qualification.

Julian F. G. W.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 1:27 pm

jfgw wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us.

Dr. Campell is a proper doctor, i.e., someone with a doctorate — a PhD, not a medical practitioner who is allowed to call himself a "doctor" by the back door without having done a research-based degree.

From Wikipedia,
Campbell received a diploma in nursing from the University of London and Bachelor of Science in biology from the Open University. He subsequently earned a Master of Science in health science from the University of Lancaster and a Ph.D. in nursing education from the University of Bolton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(nurse)

To earn a PhD, he will have had to have undertaken original research and will have personally added to the world's wealth of knowledge — something that most medical "doctors" will not have done. He is the author of the ebook, "Campbell's Physiology Notes For Nurses" https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Campbell%27s+Physiology+Notes+For+Nurses-p-9780470032411 as well as a couple of free-to-download ebooks.

Credibility comprises at least two factors: knowledge and intelligence. It is possible to have encyclopedic knowledge and apply it in a formulaic manner without understanding any of it (like a computer program), and it is possible to know less but understand more, be open to new ideas and research, and to work things out for oneself. I have come across medical "doctors" of the "it should, therefore it does, and it shouldn't, therefore it doesn't" brigade who insist, "it doesn't do that" when it clearly does. I trust Dr. John Campbell far more than I trust any of these.

Competence is far more important than qualification.

Julian F. G. W.

Quite. I too read the Wikipedia entry. He is essentially an academic but most people simply watching the video would think he had some real hands on experience as a medical doctor which often counts for more than all the academic degrees in the world. As a matter of interest what leads you to trust Dr Campbell? I am not saying you should not but there is an old saying, Those can, do, those who can't teach'.

Dod

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 13th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
I am so pleased we have converted you so far as Vit D3 is concerned. Re B12, may I tell you another bit of my personal/family history. My father was diagnosed with MS in his thirties. He fairly quickly became wheelchair bound and unable to do anything for himself and was advised to put his affairs in
order. He moved to a smaller house in a less salubrious area, being self employed and having no insurance. His new GP prescribed injections of cytamin B12 and he ate Bemax for breakfast. I was a very young child at the time so don't remember any other details but I do remember the gradual improvement in his condition to the extent that he was able to walk again with a stick, feed himself, do his hair, get upstairs again,drive a pony and trap as well as a car with hand controls, mow his lawn with a ride-on etc and he kept his business going till retirement age and lived till he was 90., the only person paying for himself and wife in a succession of care homes. .I now take a vit. B complex and wish I had started many years ago. It's impossible to take too much.

I would suggest that your father did not have MS, but a condition which might have been confused with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subacute_ ... pinal_cord
Well done that GP!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 13th, 2021, 2:31 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
I am so pleased we have converted you so far as Vit D3 is concerned. Re B12, may I tell you another bit of my personal/family history. My father was diagnosed with MS in his thirties. He fairly quickly became wheelchair bound and unable to do anything for himself and was advised to put his affairs in
order. He moved to a smaller house in a less salubrious area, being self employed and having no insurance. His new GP prescribed injections of cytamin B12 and he ate Bemax for breakfast. I was a very young child at the time so don't remember any other details but I do remember the gradual improvement in his condition to the extent that he was able to walk again with a stick, feed himself, do his hair, get upstairs again,drive a pony and trap as well as a car with hand controls, mow his lawn with a ride-on etc and he kept his business going till retirement age and lived till he was 90., the only person paying for himself and wife in a succession of care homes. .I now take a vit. B complex and wish I had started many years ago. It's impossible to take too much.

I would suggest that your father did not have MS, but a condition which might have been confused with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subacute_ ... pinal_cord
Well done that GP!

Very interesting, Graham Platt. All I can say is that is what he was told he had and my elder sister and her adult son and a paternal second cousin have also been diagnosed with MS after all the modern-day testing, MRI scans or whatever, which would have covered the damage to the myelin sheath. I was aware that MS affects people in different ways and I suppose there could be some confusion in the medical profession. However, my sister's daughter and son-in-law were both GPs and I should have thought they would have challenged the diagnosis if there were any doubts although, as others have said, GPs are not very good at diagnosis and not always well informed, as I know from my personal experience. My sister is not well enough to discuss this with but I will air the subject with my niece if the opportunity presents itself. Are you in the medical profession or do you have any personal experience of this issue?

Getting back to Vit D, Johns Hopkins Uni, Baltimore, did research a few years ago which established there was connection between Vit D deficiency and various diseases, including MS, Diabetes and respiratory diseases such as the one I have (IPF). They did say further research was required to establish which was cause and which was effect, however, and I presume that the papers commented on by Dr Campbell are part of this further research. How reliable this research is remains to be seen (and has nothing to do with Dr Campbell) but in the absence of any research coming up with different conclusions, since no harm can be done by taking Vit D I am happy to follow its recommendations pro tem. The same applies to Vit B, though I now wonder, in view of Graham Platt's link, whether I should switch to a complex which does not include folic acid, though I had thought this was a useful component. Enough already!

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 13th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us. I am certainly not going to act on stuff from this Board, with great respect to all the armchair epidemiologists here. Most will know more than I do I have no doubt, but if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system I would have thought that some of the mighty brains that have been concentrating their attention on Covid for the last couple of years would have been able to give D3 a mention.

So therein lies my quandary.

As Dr Campbell never tires of saying, don't take his word for it, check out the references he gives. He references virtually everything he says specifically to counter your objection which crops up constantly. The references are all listed underneath each video for you to click on and read for yourself.

OK Thanks.

Dod

You're welcome.

But.... just because you don't like the messenger, it doesn't invalidate the message.

I don't mind at all if you've read the research and concluded you simply don't believe it and you reject it, but it troubles me to see you appear to not even bother. Particularly when your only reason is because of the many people telling us about the rôle of Vitamin D in our immune system, the one I cited happens not to be a Doctor of Medicine, 'just' a prescribing nurse with 40 years of experience and author of medical training books.

I find this odd as there are parallels with Fooldom. Do you consider that people should reject the opinions and views of amateur but well informed Fools about financial subjects, because they are not qualified Financial Advisors? The strikes me as quite an accurate analogy!

But I understand it's your body, your life, to do with as you wish and you need to look after it however you see fit, even it your way is different from mine. It's just that I would feel terrible if you became seriously ill with covid for lack of Vitamin D, and I hadn't said.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
As Dr Campbell never tires of saying, don't take his word for it, check out the references he gives. He references virtually everything he says specifically to counter your objection which crops up constantly. The references are all listed underneath each video for you to click on and read for yourself.

OK Thanks.

Dod

You're welcome.

But.... just because you don't like the messenger, it doesn't invalidate the message.

I don't mind at all if you've read the research and concluded you simply don't believe it and you reject it, but it troubles me to see you appear to not even bother. Particularly when your only reason is because of the many people telling us about the rôle of Vitamin D in our immune system, the one I cited happens not to be a Doctor of Medicine, 'just' a prescribing nurse with 40 years of experience and author of medical training books.

I find this odd as there are parallels with Fooldom. Do you consider that people should reject the opinions and views of amateur but well informed Fools about financial subjects, because they are not qualified Financial Advisors? The strikes me as quite an accurate analogy!

But I understand it's your body, your life, to do with as you wish and you need to look after it however you see fit, even it your way is different from mine. It's just that I would feel terrible if you became seriously ill with covid for lack of Vitamin D, and I hadn't said.

Qualified IFAs are the last people I would seek advice from on most financial subjects except maybe some technical point..

Well I am sorry if you would feel terrible if I became seriously ill with covid for lack of vitamin D. Please do not be because it will never happen at least I do not think anyone is ever going to say to me you have got seriously ill with covid from a lack of Vitamin D. This is all getting a little unrealistic but I take the general thrust and am now taking Vitamin D3 except not in the quantities some apparently are.

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 14th, 2021, 10:22 am

Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
OK Thanks.

Dod

You're welcome.

Qualified IFAs are the last people I would seek advice from on most financial subjects except maybe some technical point..

Well I am sorry if you would feel terrible if I became seriously ill with covid for lack of vitamin D. Please do not be because it will never happen at least I do not think anyone is ever going to say to me you have got seriously ill with covid from a lack of Vitamin D. This is all getting a little unrealistic but I take the general thrust and am now taking Vitamin D3 except not in the quantities some apparently are.

Dod

On the topic of how to protect yourself from COVID, I have used multiple sources of information.
First is the gastro medical consultant who prescribes me immunosuppressants, and put me on the 'vulnerable' list last year.
Second is a friend who is a retired consultant (different field, but medically aware)
Third, when I contracted COVID Nov 2020 I did a large amount of reading online.

Interesting that the clear point of overlap between all 3 sources was quite simple "Take Vitamin D".
It is on the NHS recommendation of what to do.
I am amazed that it isn't up there with "Wear a mask" in terms of government communications
tuk020
(who takes Vit D, and buys it for all his offspring to encourage them)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 14th, 2021, 10:28 am

That is interesting Tuk020 and seems to me to be helpful comments devoid of the usual hype that we sometimes get. To follow up on it, what dosage do you take daily?

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 14th, 2021, 10:58 am

Dod101 wrote:That is interesting Tuk020 and seems to me to be helpful comments devoid of the usual hype that we sometimes get. To follow up on it, what dosage do you take daily?

Dod

3000iu of Vit D3. I don't have a specific source to back up this dosage.
On further reading, I have recently switched to a combination of Vit D3 & Vit K2.
One of the effects of Vit D3 is to improve the uptake of calcium in your body. Apparently K2 helps direct this to calcification of your bones, and not your arteries. I don't understand the mechanism, but happy to follow the medical commentary.

This is what I am now ordering:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

HTH
tuk

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 14th, 2021, 11:09 am

One other point while I am having a little rant:

Our normal source of Vit D is via exposure to sunshine, which is why we are all deficient in this country during winter.
The most Vit D deficient segments of our population are those who are permanently indoors (institutionalised groups such as occupants of Care Homes and Prisons) and minorities with dark skin colour.
I have seen many reports worrying about the disproportionate impact of COVID on exactly these segments of the population.

OK, I'll crawl back into my lair now

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 14th, 2021, 11:13 am

...Just a quick point. I have heard geneticist Steve Jones, in public lectures, mention the situation wrt Vitamin D and its effects on health.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » December 14th, 2021, 12:40 pm

I take 3,400 IU of D3 a day. From the number of times I have heard/read experts expounding the benefits I am convinced of the positives but the one thing that I am confused about is the vastly differing opinions about the possibility of taking too much. I hear very different opinions about the maximum safe dose, from the NHS that says ...

Taking too many vitamin D supplements over a long period of time can cause too much calcium to build up in the body (hypercalcaemia). This can weaken the bones and damage the kidneys and the heart.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17 years.

[ Source: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins- ... vitamin-d/ ]

... to other reports e.g. the one that Julian F.G.W. posted on the previous page of this thread (viewtopic.php?p=465391#p465391) where that study concluded that even 50,000 IU per day "appeared to be safe" which is massively at odds with the NHS advice [ repeated for convenience, the link that Julian F.G.W. posted is https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/ ] and to pick out the relevant bit of the abstract it says ...

... All patients in our hospital have been routinely screened on admission for vitamin D deficiency since July 2011, and offered supplementation to either correct or prevent deficiency. During this time, we have admitted over 4700 patients, the vast majority of whom agreed to supplementation with either 5000 or 10,000 IUs/day. Due to disease concerns, a few agreed to larger amounts, ranging from 20,000 to 50,000 IUs/day. There have been no cases of vitamin D3 induced hypercalcemia or any adverse events attributable to vitamin D3 supplementation in any patient. ... In summary, long-term supplementation with vitamin D3 in doses ranging from 5000 to 50,000 IUs/day appears to be safe.

I hope that people can understand my confusion. My original decision was based on the NHS advice, my 3,400 a day figure is odd because I was careful to include not only the 3,000 IU D3 supplement that I take but also the 400 IU included in my daily multi-vitamin supplement and allow some left-over headroom for my intake of Vitamin D from natural sources although of course that last element was a total guess. I'm wondering now whether I should double up my D3 supplement and take 2 x 3,000 IU each day during the winter even though that seems to be in direct contradiction to the NHS advice that I quoted above. It's a dilemma for me right now.

- Julian

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 14th, 2021, 1:55 pm

TUK020 wrote:One other point while I am having a little rant:

Our normal source of Vit D is via exposure to sunshine, which is why we are all deficient in this country during winter.
The most Vit D deficient segments of our population are those who are permanently indoors (institutionalised groups such as occupants of Care Homes and Prisons) and minorities with dark skin colour.
I have seen many reports worrying about the disproportionate impact of COVID on exactly these segments of the population.

OK, I'll crawl back into my lair now

Tuk,

Surely you can't say that's a good rant :lol:

I found that when I started taking D3 that within days it started to have what I can only describe as an antidepressant effect. At the time I started taking D3 I took 10,000 IU's per day. I've since reduced to 4,000. I'd also note that I started taking D3 well before the NHS and "it's experts" decided it was beneficial.

I'd like to add to your rant with my own please - and Oxycontin is both a recent and excellent example of this - the NHS employs it's own experts to decide what drugs are beneficial - perhaps many of the experts have financial interests in achieving certain outcomes. If such a conspiracy theory was, even in small numbers, occurring then I can't imagine anyone making the sort of profits they make on antidepressants by selling and promoting D3 or B12 or any other vitamin.

Why do we have to have a medical fraternity that accepts we need antidepressants but cannot cope with the thought that large amounts of some vitamins are both harmless and far more effective than expensive drugs.

By the way - anyone who tells me that they have had a blood test and their B12 is normal hasn't done any research on the subject. You don't have to believe me - it's all on the NHS website here

Diagnosis-Vitamin B12 or folate deficiency anaemia

A particular drawback of testing vitamin B12 levels is that the current widely used blood test only measures the total amount of vitamin B12 in your blood.

This means it measures forms of vitamin B12 that are "active" and can be used by your body, as well as the "inactive" forms, which cannot.

If a significant amount of the vitamin B12 in your blood is inactive, a blood test may show that you have normal B12 levels, even though your body cannot use much of it.

I have now shown this page to three GP's. None were aware that the blood test wasn't definitive proof of adequate B12. In addition, if I recall correctly, the amount of B12 that the UK accepts as "normal" on this test is about 50% of that accepted in the US and Japan and most of the rest of the world. My B12 was checked about a year ago. It was 1,500. This is considered at the high end of "normal" I take sublingual B12 daily.

I'd suggest that the NHS has chosen it's experts as do we all. On the subject of D3 and B12 I prefer to be my own expert. It would appear that there is a large degree of difference between many highly paid experts.

And relax :lol:

Take care

AiY

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » February 10th, 2022, 9:39 am

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2022020 ... vere-covid
study from Israel. Data predates Omicron variant, but should still be valid

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » February 10th, 2022, 11:17 am

Back in October 2020 (so at the end of summer) I had my blood tested for vitamin D levels. At the time I was walking in the sun for at least 20 mins per day and taking 20 ug / 800 IU of vitamin D daily.

The healthy/Normal range is range 50 - 175 nmol/L

My score was: 62 so very much at the low end of the range, and it seemed likely it may drop below the 50 level during winter.

As a response to the test result I upped my dose to 50 ug / 2000 IU daily.

The required dose will vary by person, the more overweight you are the higher a dose is required to get vitamin D into the bloodstream. (Dr Campbell explained this in one of his videos.)

When I had the vitamin D test I did ask the clinician about vitamin D dose and his response was "we have to tell you the dose recommended by the NHS is 10 ug /400 IU per day to protect against crickets, but personally I'm taking more than that. You should not take more then 4,000 IU per day".

Something I find really helpful to remember to take the tablets is using a very small bowl which I keep permanently on my dinner table - each morning sometime between breakfast and lunch, I put the tablets into it. Then at dinner time I take them.
The bowl acts as a reminder to take them, and also the empty bowl shows when you have already taken them so you don't accidentally take 2 doses on the same day. It sounds daft but it does work!

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » February 10th, 2022, 2:29 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Mushrooms are over rated as a vit D source

Citation needed.

But yes, exposure to sunlight does help considerably, eg :
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6213178/

When fresh button mushrooms are deliberately exposed to midday sunlight for 15–120 min, they generate significant amounts of vitamin D2, usually in excess of 10 μg/100 g [fresh weight], which approaches the daily requirement of vitamin D recommended in many countries (Table 1). However, the amount of vitamin D2 generated depends on the time of day, season, latitude, weather conditions, and exposure time. Since these mushrooms have a higher surface area to volume (hence, more ergosterol is exposed), sun-exposed sliced mushrooms produce more vitamin D2 than whole mushrooms from the same amount of UV radiation exposure. At midday in mid-summer in Germany, the vitamin D2 content of sliced mushrooms was as high as 17.5 μg/100 g FW after 15 min of sun exposure and reached 32.5 μg/100 g FW after 60 min of sun exposure...

Fresh mushrooms, when deliberately exposed to a [UV lamp] post-harvest, will generate significant amounts of vitamin D2 often reaching 40 μg/g dried mass (DM) (ca 320 μg/100 g FW). The most effective wavelength to stimulate the production of vitamin D2 in mushrooms is UV-B radiation (280–315 nm)... nutritionally relevant concentrations of vitamin D2 (10 μg/100 g FW) in whole mushrooms can also be effectively achieved with a commercial pulsed UV lamp within a very short time period of 1–2 s (3–6 pulses) [41,42]. In contrast, it can take several minutes to generate the same concentration of vitamin D2 using a UV fluorescent lamp....

Fresh button mushrooms stored at 2.2 °C showed a first-order kinetics decline in vitamin D2 concentration, with a predicted decline to a concentration of 1.75 μg/g DM at 14 days [58]. The vitamin D2 concentration in sliced button mushrooms dropped from 12 μg/g DM to 8–9 μg/g DM after 3–11 days storage at 3 °C...However, other studies did not show substantial vitamin D2 losses when mushrooms were refrigerated. There was virtually no degradation of vitamin D2 when button mushrooms were refrigerated at 4 °C for 8 days [36], or for 7 and 14 days...

Following 5 minutes of frying without oil, two types of wild chanterelle mushrooms retained at least 85% of their raw-state content of vitamin D2 concentrations after adjusting for water loss during cooking [60,61]. In button mushrooms with a vitamin D2 content of 19 μg/100 g FW, the retention of vitamin D2 after boiling in water for 20 min or oven-baking for 10 min, was 62–67%; for mushrooms pan-fried without oil for 5 min, the retention was again high, corresponding to 88%

[bearing in mind UK RDA is 10μg, US & EU RDA is 15μg]

Personally if I'm cooking with mushrooms, I get them out in the morning and leave them on the windowsill.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 10th, 2022, 4:06 pm

I've been aware of this thread for some time and may even have written a post, but can't remember.

My background is in Science so I'm aware that one person's experience cannot be judged without further evidence.

About 20 years ago, I started suffering from Psoriasis, which typically started on the elbows and then the scalp, then kneecaps. It's an autoimmune disease, possibly linked to stress and not curable, but treatable with creams and actually gave me very little trouble.

Four years ago, I was one of the very unlucky sufferers who also developed Psoriatic Arthritis. Very similar to Rheumatoid arthritis. Main places are inside of hands, inner feet and lower back.

This was worse, since I noticed pain from hands and feet and typical 'ageing' twinges in the lower back.

There is a way to stop all this, and that is to take immunosuppressant drugs. No way!!

One day, I saw an article about Vitamin D and how it is a hormone etc...not so well understood, but how it seems to help control the immune system. ( At uni, the courses on immunology were among the most complex and difficult subjects!) This went onto other articles.

I started to take approx 8000 units per day for a month or so, then down to approx 4000. The changes were dramatic. All pain from my hands and feet disappeared and my lower back improved - but is still noticeable when my wife asks me to vacuum the rooms!! 8-) Must be about posture since I can still cut the grass with no problem.

Personal experience suggests that it is also a mild antidepressant. But as I said, we need more data to draw any conclusions.

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 10th, 2022, 4:51 pm

Lanark wrote:When I had the vitamin D test I did ask the clinician about vitamin D dose and his response was "we have to tell you the dose recommended by the NHS is 10 ug /400 IU per day to protect against crickets".

I tried that once, but all it did was to give me the runs. :(

BJ (actually taking 1000 IU per day, and not the slightest idea whether it's doing me any good. But hey, it's easier than worrying about what might happen if I didn't take it. ;)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”