Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Vitamin D Update

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Vitamin D Update

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 12th, 2021, 1:36 am

Dod101 wrote:
Good point. Anyway, I have just bought some vitamin D tablets, As long as I do not overdose on them they can do me no harm at least. The pharmacist tells me we should all take them during the winter months at least.

Dod

Dod ... I want to offer you something if I may please? ... can I call it tough love?

You cannot overdose on Vitamin D3. I have taken 4,000 iu's per day for the last 14 years. I'm not dead my good friend. Don't take anything less. This will not change your life. It will not give you the body of a 21 year old. You will not be able to go 48hrs without sleep. And you will certainly not be able to go hang gliding.

But ... you will feel a little more energy is available. You'll be able to concentrate better.

And Dod ... can I go further please? Get some B12 sublingual tablets too. High strength.

I've taken them for as long as I have the D3 and as I've said ... I'm still alive.

Take care my friend

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 12th, 2021, 8:35 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Good point. Anyway, I have just bought some vitamin D tablets, As long as I do not overdose on them they can do me no harm at least. The pharmacist tells me we should all take them during the winter months at least.

Dod

Dod ... I want to offer you something if I may please? ... can I call it tough love?

You cannot overdose on Vitamin D3. I have taken 4,000 iu's per day for the last 14 years. I'm not dead my good friend. Don't take anything less. This will not change your life. It will not give you the body of a 21 year old. You will not be able to go 48hrs without sleep. And you will certainly not be able to go hang gliding.

But ... you will feel a little more energy is available. You'll be able to concentrate better.

And Dod ... can I go further please? Get some B12 sublingual tablets too. High strength.

I've taken them for as long as I have the D3 and as I've said ... I'm still alive.

Take care my friend

AiY

Thanks for all that. I will not be taking B12. I am sceptical about all of these supplements. Had my bones been in trouble I have no doubt that I would have been told when I had my hip replacements and I have not had a tooth filling for many years despite still having most of my own teeth. I have plenty of energy but anyway as I said I will take Vitamin D throughout the winter.

What is B12 intended to help with?

Dod

Dod

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 12th, 2021, 9:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Take care my friend

AiY

Thanks for all that. I will not be taking B12. I am sceptical about all of these supplements. Had my bones been in trouble I have no doubt that I would have been told when I had my hip replacements and I have not had a tooth filling for many years despite still having most of my own teeth. I have plenty of energy but anyway as I said I will take Vitamin D throughout the winter.

Dod

Dod

Dod[/quote]

Take care my friend

AiY[/quote]

Dod

Dod[/quote]

I am so pleased we have converted you so far as Vit D3 is concerned. Re B12, may I tell you another bit of my personal/family history. My father was diagnosed with MS in his thirties. He fairly quickly became wheelchair bound and unable to do anything for himself and was advised to put his affairs in
order. He moved to a smaller house in a less salubrious area, being self employed and having no insurance. His new GP prescribed injections of cytamin B12 and he ate Bemax for breakfast. I was a very young child at the time so don't remember any other details but I do remember the gradual improvement in his condition to the extent that he was able to walk again with a stick, feed himself, do his hair, get upstairs again,drive a pony and trap as well as a car with hand controls, mow his lawn with a ride-on etc and he kept his business going till retirement age and lived till he was 90., the only person paying for himself and wife in a succession of care homes. .I now take a vit. B complex and wish I had started many years ago. It's impossible to take too much.

I also take zinc which is recommended for fighting/preventing infections. Prevention is far better and cheaper than cure and I agree with Dr. Campbell that it makes no sense to wait till symptoms appear and illness is diagnosed after expensive investigations, when simple blood tests could lead to the prescription of inexpensive supplements which many of us would be happy to pay for ourselves. .. .

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 12th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Thanks Bouleversee. As it happens I have a nephew whose wife has MS at about the age of 50/55 I guess. She might very well be interested in the treatments you suggest. Of course, she may be on to them already but that is very helpful.

For myself, I have to say that I am now ancient (80) but feel no different from when I was at least 10 years younger, that is, until youngsters whizz past me on my walking route when I feel I am walking quite fast. I tell them that I too was young once. I take no medication and get checked out by my GP from time to time. I feel very fortunate.

Anyway I will take Vitamin D over the winter but I genuinely do not expect it to do much for me!

Dod

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 13th, 2021, 1:06 am

Dr John Campbell posted another "Vitamin D" video 11th December where he chats with Dr. Michael Cohen.

Dr. Cohen recommends (to his own patients) a daily supplement of:
4000iu (100µg) Vitamin D3, more for overweight people;
200 µg Vitamin K2;
25mg Zinc, more if viral symptoms develop.

He states that none of his patients have been hospitalised with Covid-19.

I understand that you can overdose on vitamin D if you really overdo it. Dr. Cohen cites a patient who took 50 000iu per day for six months without problems and it appears that this amount is usually safe, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/. IIRC, going out in the summer sun produces about half of this. This takes about 20 minutes for a white person, after which we stop producing it. Vitamin D is fat soluble (which is why it often comes in oil-filled capsules) so is stored by the body.

A point made by Dr. Campbell previously is that, when the sun is below 45°, the UV from the sun does not reach us so we do not have this source of vitamin D.

Julian F. G. W.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 1:21 am

jfgw wrote:Dr John Campbell posted another "Vitamin D" video 11th December where he chats with Dr. Michael Cohen.

Dr. Cohen recommends (to his own patients) a daily supplement of:
4000iu (100µg) Vitamin D3, more for overweight people;
200 µg Vitamin K2;
25mg Zinc, more if viral symptoms develop.

He states that none of his patients have been hospitalised with Covid-19.

I understand that you can overdose on vitamin D if you really overdo it. Dr. Cohen cites a patient who took 50 000iu per day for six months without problems and it appears that this amount is usually safe, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/. IIRC, going out in the summer sun produces about half of this. This takes about 20 minutes for a white person, after which we stop producing it. Vitamin D is fat soluble (which is why it often comes in oil-filled capsules) so is stored by the body.

A point made by Dr. Campbell previously is that, when the sun is below 45°, the UV from the sun does not reach us so we do not have this source of vitamin D.

Julian F. G. W.

Where I live, at the moment (and for about two months on each side of about now) the sun barely gets over the horizon even at mid day. I believe Dr Campbell (and I would also believe any better authenticated doctor) that the sun has no benefit at this time of year.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 13th, 2021, 6:41 am

Dod101 wrote:Where I live, at the moment (and for about two months on each side of about now) the sun barely gets over the horizon even at mid day. I believe Dr Campbell (and I would also believe any better authenticated doctor) that the sun has no benefit at this time of year.

Dod

If I recall correctly we only make Vitamin D3 through our skin between the hours of 10am and 4pm when there is a good sun. But also don't forget that if we are out of the sun in summer during these times we effectively make our own winter. I recollect that sun blockers also have a negative impact upon D3 production in our bodies.

AiY

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 13th, 2021, 7:57 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Where I live, at the moment (and for about two months on each side of about now) the sun barely gets over the horizon even at mid day. I believe Dr Campbell (and I would also believe any better authenticated doctor) that the sun has no benefit at this time of year.

Dod

If I recall correctly we only make Vitamin D3 through our skin between the hours of 10am and 4pm when there is a good sun. But also don't forget that if we are out of the sun in summer during these times we effectively make our own winter. I recollect that sun blockers also have a negative impact upon D3 production in our bodies.

AiY

Yeah there was famously a surprising study that showed the presence of what looked like sun deficit in Floridians
As a purple person from the land of the SAD lamp (and tanning salon) I'm still not used to the sun; I've just been given a telling of by the younger teen for getting what looks like a "touch of sun" on my 40min ride home from work
- on a brighter note I'm doing an omelet on the BBQ to keep the heat out the kitchen

-sd

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 13th, 2021, 10:27 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

Dod

AiY

And it does, of course, depend on how much of your skin is exposed to the sun in the middle of the day.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 13th, 2021, 10:34 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks Bouleversee. As it happens I have a nephew whose wife has MS at about the age of 50/55 I guess. She might very well be interested in the treatments you suggest. Of course, she may be on to them already but that is very helpful.

For myself, I have to say that I am now ancient (80) but feel no different from when I was at least 10 years younger, that is, until youngsters whizz past me on my walking route when I feel I am walking quite fast. I tell them that I too was young once. I take no medication and get checked out by my GP from time to time. I feel very fortunate.

Anyway I will take Vitamin D over the winter but I genuinely do not expect it to do much for me!

Dod

At your age, i also felt as fit as a fiddle, till suddenly I didn't. Don't wait till it happens. As a matter of interest, what dosage did your pharmacist recommend?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 11:02 am

Bouleversee wrote:At your age, i also felt as fit as a fiddle, till suddenly I didn't. Don't wait till it happens. As a matter of interest, what dosage did your pharmacist recommend?

Yes I am only too well aware that things can change very quickly which is why I am so frustrated with the restrictions caused by Covid.

As far as dosage of D3 is concerned, just the standard 400iu per day.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 13th, 2021, 11:22 am

Dod101 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:At your age, i also felt as fit as a fiddle, till suddenly I didn't. Don't wait till it happens. As a matter of interest, what dosage did your pharmacist recommend?

Yes I am only too well aware that things can change very quickly which is why I am so frustrated with the restrictions caused by Covid.

Dod

That's the dose for prevention of rickets.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 11:27 am

Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Oh well that's fine then but I assume you mean that it is insignificant, yet the container tells me that it 'supports a healthy immune system' and not to overdose.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 13th, 2021, 11:48 am

Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Oh well that's fine then but I assume you mean that it is insignificant, yet the container tells me that it 'supports a healthy immune system' and not to overdose.

Dod

Well I suspect you still haven't watched any of the videos by Dr Campbell explaining this in all the painful detail. Or if you have, the info didn't stick. There is a great deal to consider though. The thing is, there is a schism in the medical word. Doctors at the sharp end almost all cite research showing much higher doses than 400iu are necessary to achieve the D3 concentrations we need for effective immune regulation. The NHS on the other hand, when asked about D3, has a knee-jerk reaction and defaults to the 100 year old research that established the dose needed for prevention of rickets. Pharmacists etc have to give advice approved by the NHS, which according to all the current research is simply too low to help with immune response regulation*.

* The reason people die of covid mostly, is over-reaction of the immune system, which is why D3 is so important. To over-simplify it.

All the above is AIUI. Best to do your own research, beyond asking your pharmacist or GP I suggest. Start with all the links given in this thread!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 12:00 pm

I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us. I am certainly not going to act on stuff from this Board, with great respect to all the armchair epidemiologists here. Most will know more than I do I have no doubt, but if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system I would have thought that some of the mighty brains that have been concentrating their attention on Covid for the last couple of years would have been able to give D3 a mention.

So therein lies my quandary.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 13th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Dod101 wrote:if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system

if anyone's telling you that give them your best hard stare
and point out that it doesn't boost the immune system rather a deficiency of it compromises the immune system
then you can explain the importance of being precise
- works for me

-sd

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 12:13 pm

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system

if anyone's telling you that give them your best hard stare
and point out that it doesn't boost the immune system rather a deficiency of it compromises the immune system
then you can explain the importance of being precise
- works for me

-sd

Interesting point. What the container tells me is that it 'supports a healthy immune system'. The point still stands though that if we have a compromised immune system (which it seems most of us living in northern climes will have, at least in winter) I would have thought that all our clever scientists/medics would have been saying 'Whatever else you do take D3'

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 13th, 2021, 12:36 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us. I am certainly not going to act on stuff from this Board, with great respect to all the armchair epidemiologists here. Most will know more than I do I have no doubt, but if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system I would have thought that some of the mighty brains that have been concentrating their attention on Covid for the last couple of years would have been able to give D3 a mention.

As Dr Campbell never tires of saying, don't take his word for it, check out the references he gives. He references virtually everything he says specifically to counter your objection which crops up constantly. The references are all listed underneath each video for you to click on and read for yourself.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 12:50 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have watched some of the Dr Campbell stuff. We seem to have established that he is not a medical doctor for a start so I have no idea whether we can place any credence on what he tells us. I am certainly not going to act on stuff from this Board, with great respect to all the armchair epidemiologists here. Most will know more than I do I have no doubt, but if Vitamin D3 were so important in boosting the immune system I would have thought that some of the mighty brains that have been concentrating their attention on Covid for the last couple of years would have been able to give D3 a mention.

As Dr Campbell never tires of saying, don't take his word for it, check out the references he gives. He references virtually everything he says specifically to counter your objection which crops up constantly. The references are all listed underneath each video for you to click on and read for yourself.

OK Thanks.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 13th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Dod101 wrote: I would have thought that all our clever scientists/medics would have been saying 'Whatever else you do take D3'

all? that's probably pushing it ;)
- some are pushing it and I can see their point as it is an easy win in some places that are light poor over winter (excluding Paisley obviously because of the tanning salons -- oh perhaps they closed them during COVID?!)

but most of them will just consider it in the general advice of keeping yourself "fighting fit" and prefer not to concentrate on any specific thing you might be suffering from
- there are plenty of other things that will compromise your immune system, or reduce your chances with covid, some of which also stem from not being outside in the sun :)

-sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”