Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Vitamin D Update

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Vitamin D Update

Postby Bouleversee » December 10th, 2021, 6:20 pm

When accessing the linked video of Dr Campbell re the Omicron variant mentioned on that thread, I noticed a 3 week old video by him giving details of recent research which claimed that we should be taking a much higher daily dose if Vitamin D than hitherto recommended and that the minimum level previously considered as normal should also be a lot higher. It also emphasises the importance of a high level of Vit D to the immune system and the significance of that as regards survival of a Covid 19 infection as well as other diseases. It is well worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5g9AVqRsjo

Dr Campbell bemoans the fact that the NHS does not routinely test our Vit D Levels as a preventive nor check them as soon as any Covid symptoms are reported. I am with him on that one and it gave me pause for thought. I had blood tests at my own request before I was diagnosed with IPF (again following investigations at my own request) and was found to be well below what was regarded as the normal level and put on a crash course for a few weeks which brought me well above the minimum normal level. When I went to see the consultant and had my diagnosis of IPF confirmed, I picked up a virus which made me very poorly for several days and exacerbated breathing problems. This was just as Covid 19 was beginning to be mentioned and I made no connection as I thought it would have been fatal had I caught it. I had had a flu jab, however. Having now listened to that video, and bearing in mind that mine was the only white face in the waiting room and dark skinned people living here need even more Vitamin D than white-skinned, I now wonder whether I might have been an early Covid case and it was my enhanced level of Vit D which saved me. Maybe wide of the mark but OTOH I do now feel like a Long Covid case for much of the time and my cognitive ability and memory have declined and I do know what brain fog feels like now. Could just be dementia, of course.

I certainly think the NHS needs to update its information. 1000 iu per day may prevent rickets but it is not enough to keep us well, especially as we get older and do not absorb it so readily. Perhaps someone could invent a cheap blood test we could do at home on a regular basis now that healthcare becomes increasingly DIY or DYOR.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vitamin D Update

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 10th, 2021, 6:39 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(nurse)

Moderator Message:
link fixed (chas49)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 10th, 2021, 6:50 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(nurse)

Thanks link doesn't work but it is the same page I find when googling him. Weird.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 10th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Not sure what your point is but this may help:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Re: Omicron variant
#464621Postby redsturgeon » December 9th, 2021, 8:23 pm
RockRabbit wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0AA41dgLU

Party in Oslo on Nov 28th attended by 120 people including two returners from SA.
120 people (all double vaccinated)

Mingled with outside groups later

70 of the 120 plus 50 others later tested positive for Covid.

Half tested positive for omicron

13 proven in sequencing

Interesting - but what exactly is Dr JC's expertise in relation to Covid given that he doesn't appear to be a medical doctor?

He is a retired A and E nurse.

But that has little bearing on the facts presented here.

John"

It's possible to be a doctor without being a doctor of medicine. Are you suggesting, or do you know for a fact, that he is neither? I'd be surprised if he were allowed to get away with that. He has studied some new research and shared it and added his own comments, which he is free to do, just as you are free to agree or disagree with them, or with mine for that matter. I find it useful to have my attention drawn to research, with explanations, that I might not otherwise have heard of.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 10th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Clariman wrote:

Thanks link doesn't work but it is the same page I find when googling him. Weird.

Issue is, in the above post, the closing bracket is off the end of the link. If you look carefully, it's formatted black rather than blue. So the closing bracket isn't part of the link. HTH.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 10th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Having now accessed the Wiki link, I see that John Campbell has a PHD so can certainly be called Doctor and it seems to me that his c.v. would well qualify him to comment on and interpret medical research. You have read that c.v. so obviously think differently. What exactly do you object to and what significant point have you not yet made?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 10th, 2021, 7:23 pm

According to Nature, there is some evidence that vitamin D helps but "the jury is still out"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d42859-021-00052-9

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 10th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Midsmartin wrote:According to Nature, there is some evidence that vitamin D helps but "the jury is still out"

https://www.nature.com/articles/d42859-021-00052-9

There has been reams of evidence posted that D3 is critically important in regulating the immune response posted by John Campbell, Medcram and other well informed youtube medics.

The trouble seems to be that given D3 costs pennies to make, there is no money to be made in running peer-reviewed double blind trials to prove it helps with Covid.

But as always, the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence of an effect.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 10th, 2021, 7:53 pm

It seems likely it has an effect. But if you read the article (doesn't sound as though you did) I linked there have also been studies that found no effect on covid, hence there is room for doubt. More studies are still in progress which may clarify things.

It's a low risk thing to take though, and we have a pot on our house. I never remember to take them though.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 10th, 2021, 7:57 pm

Midsmartin wrote:It seems likely it has an effect. But if you read the article (doesn't sound as though you did) I linked there have also been studies that found no effect on covid, hence there is room for doubt. More studies are still in progress which may clarify things.

It's a low risk thing to take though, and we have a pot on our house. I never remember to take them though.

More the fool you then.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 10th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Clariman wrote:

For some reason, link comes up in Wikipedia with right parenthesis missing.

PS. Ah. Explanation already given above. I had looked for same but looked blue to me, so...

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 10th, 2021, 8:05 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Midsmartin wrote:It seems likely it has an effect. But if you read the article (doesn't sound as though you did) I linked there have also been studies that found no effect on covid, hence there is room for doubt. More studies are still in progress which may clarify things.

More the fool you then.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, in which case I apologise, but that seems an unnecessarily unfriendly response. Unless the phrase your used had different connotations where you come from.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 10th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Midsmartin wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

More the fool you then.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, in which case I apologise, but that seems an unnecessarily unfriendly response. Unless the phrase your used had different connotations where you come from.

Well the thing is, there is this broadly harmless vitamin for which there seems to be tons of evidence that shows it helps prevent death or serious illness from covid, and you say you have some in the house but "I never remember to take them though."

Sometimes one really does have to take personal responsibility for one's own health, don'tcher think?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » December 10th, 2021, 9:24 pm

It was a light hearted comment which doesn't seem to merit personal abuse , which apparently was the intent as you don't say I misinterpreted. I don't see that personal abuse helps in any case at all. Never mind.. I'm obviously on the wrong thread, so I'll get my coat.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 10th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Midsmartin wrote:It was a light hearted comment which doesn't seem to merit personal abuse , which apparently was the intent as you don't say I misinterpreted. I don't see that personal abuse helps in any case at all. Never mind.. I'm obviously on the wrong thread, so I'll get my coat.

We obviously have different ideas of what counts as personal abuse. I think I was making fair comment. Best you report my post(s).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 11th, 2021, 12:29 am

Bouleversee wrote:

Not sure what your point is but this may help:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Re: Omicron variant
#464621Postby redsturgeon » December 9th, 2021, 8:23 pm
RockRabbit wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0AA41dgLU

Party in Oslo on Nov 28th attended by 120 people including two returners from SA.
120 people (all double vaccinated)

Mingled with outside groups later

70 of the 120 plus 50 others later tested positive for Covid.

Half tested positive for omicron

13 proven in sequencing

Interesting - but what exactly is Dr JC's expertise in relation to Covid given that he doesn't appear to be a medical doctor?

He is a retired A and E nurse.

But that has little bearing on the facts presented here.

John"

It's possible to be a doctor without being a doctor of medicine. Are you suggesting, or do you know for a fact, that he is neither? I'd be surprised if he were allowed to get away with that. He has studied some new research and shared it and added his own comments, which he is free to do, just as you are free to agree or disagree with them, or with mine for that matter. I find it useful to have my attention drawn to research, with explanations, that I might not otherwise have heard of.

Having just arrived from Mars, what on earth is this all about?

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 11th, 2021, 12:41 am

In any case I think that vitamin supplements are unnecessary if you eat healthily and get outside as often as possible. As it happens I could live off seafood (although I do not) and it seems that mushrooms are also a good source of Vitamin D. I like and eat both seafood and mushrooms several times a week and walk about 10,000 steps at least four times a week. That gives me the vitamin D that I need, at least i hope it does. Most days I am outside for some of the time even if not walking.

Dod

look
2 Lemon pips

Postby look » December 11th, 2021, 12:43 am

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » December 11th, 2021, 1:00 am

BullDog wrote:
Clariman wrote:

Issue is, in the above post, the closing bracket is off the end of the link. If you look carefully, it's formatted black rather than blue. So the closing bracket isn't part of the link. HTH.

The poster can fix the problem by using the URL tag instead of relying on the automatic detection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Campbell_(nurse)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 11th, 2021, 8:21 am

my father in law took a teaspoon of codliver oil daily - he made it to 99.

i take a codliver oil capsule most days - hopefully harmless and probably beneficial .

but dont over do it - it seems too much vitamin A and D can be toxic.

:idea:

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”