Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Fantasyland Hospital Admissions

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Fantasyland Hospital Admissions

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 28th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Today's World at One featured a long interview with Chris Hobson from NHS providers.

One thing came as a big surprise to me, and (I think) to the interviewer. How they count covid admissions to hospital. This time - unlike a year ago - most of them are not ill with covid. They come in for something completely different - like a broken leg - then test positive for covid.

I think he was saying the counting hasn't actually changed, but the numbers have. In the past the numbers of admissions testing positive but not ill with covid were small; now they're a large proportion of the total "covid" figures.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fantasyland Hospital Admissions

Postby scotia » December 29th, 2021, 12:35 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today's World at One featured a long interview with Chris Hobson from NHS providers.

One thing came as a big surprise to me, and (I think) to the interviewer. How they count covid admissions to hospital. This time - unlike a year ago - most of them are not ill with covid. They come in for something completely different - like a broken leg - then test positive for covid.

I think he was saying the counting hasn't actually changed, but the numbers have. In the past the numbers of admissions testing positive but not ill with covid were small; now they're a large proportion of the total "covid" figures.

I read this after my submission on Numbers and Statistics. Yes - as I stated there, we need clear data. We need admission numbers for those admitted to hospital with a primary cause of Covid infection. Does this exist?

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » December 29th, 2021, 10:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Today's World at One featured a long interview with Chris Hobson from NHS providers.

Blimey. This information has been available from the start. ISTR those of us who mentioned it were thought of as idiots and CTs.

I honestly don't know how anyone can be surprised. The figures have been presented this way for 22 months.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 29th, 2021, 10:57 pm

Sunnypad wrote:

Blimey. This information has been available from the start. ISTR those of us who mentioned it were thought of as idiots and CTs.

I honestly don't know how anyone can be surprised. The figures have been presented this way for 22 months.

Yeah the fact that it happens is well known
The degree to which happens is... well what's the absolute most opposite of well known that we can come up with?

I think there's probably clues hidden somewhere in the figures available I posted this recently
https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=468025#p468025
- which might suggest "incidental" admissions could have doubled (proportionally)
- or we could form a big Bayes style equation to work out the likelihood of an admission "for"vs"with" given vacccination status, age etc
- or hopefully they can add another column to the data and just tell us - I put that on my Xmas list but I don't think I posted it early enough

- sd

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”