Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Novak Djokovic

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool

Should Novac have been allowed to take part in the Australian Open?

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 73

Lemon Quarter

Re: Novak Djokovic

Postby 9873210 » January 13th, 2022, 6:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:When I first went on a peace march about 30 years ago, I had to overcome my revulsion at taking part in something associated with the left.
Similarly now I'm working on finding myself the same side of some issues as Farage.

A stopped clock is right twice a day.

It's unwise to let somebody you do not respect influence your opinion in any way. Even the worst of men will have been right about something, even if for the wrong reason.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 14th, 2022, 7:01 am

And the call is "Out"

Probably time for a review?
I wonder how he'll cope with that AND his pants being on fire ;)

-sd

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 14th, 2022, 8:59 am

It seems that the Aussie's taridness in cancelling ND's visa for a second time may have been quite deliberate. They are playing the long game, hoping that if they can push the time out, he will not be able to compete even if they lose the legal case.

I bet the tennis authorities are russling through the rule books to see if there is anything which would prevent them giving him a bye into the second round, should they need to.

Here we see money and entitlement at work. No doubt his Mum will be spitting venom again. Suprisingly, the Australian legal system seems to be up and running on a Saturday morning if pme has enough money to throw at it. I can't imagine that for a more humble immigrant, here or in Australia, and no judge could be got out of bed (not that that has happened yet in this case) for something as trivial as a visa problem.

Arb.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 14th, 2022, 9:32 am

Arborbridge wrote:Here we see money and entitlement at work.

ISTR hearing on the wireless back at the start of all this, he stands to make £3m if he competes and wins. So well worth squabbling over.

I'd have thought it was also worth arriving 14 days early in time to do the quarantine too though but like Boris, Novak appears to consider himself above following the rules for the little people.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 14th, 2022, 11:07 am

Mike4 wrote:ISTR hearing on the wireless back at the start of all this, he stands to make £3m if he competes and wins. So well worth squabbling over.

It's not just about this tournament either - AIUI if he falls foul of Aussie immigration, he can't come back for 3 years.

He's drawn to play Miomir Kecmanovic in the first round - a fellow Serb who's #78 in the world. One wonders if he could be persuaded to trap his fingers in a door like ND's coach Goran Ivanisevic - one of a series of bizarre injuries he's had. Then ND would have a bye to the second round, which would give more time for legals.

Personally, I want the current big 3 to all retire asap - it's perfect as it is now that they all have 20 Slams, they (and their teams of physios etc) have been amazing but now it's time for the next generation.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 14th, 2022, 11:37 am

It looks like Novak is gonna be the first to be knocked out of this grand slam, after missing only two shots.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 14th, 2022, 11:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Here we see money and entitlement at work.

ISTR hearing on the wireless back at the start of all this, he stands to make £3m if he competes and wins. So well worth squabbling over.

I'd have thought it was also worth arriving 14 days early in time to do the quarantine too though but like Boris, Novak appears to consider himself above following the rules for the little people.

No doubt that ND stands for Nob Djockey
But the Aussie immigration twunts are among the the most egregious on the planet
The delay has been part practical (to avoid ANOTHER f-up) and convenient (because the guy that made is distracting from his boss's cult having had a bit of a PR snaffu)

-sd

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 16th, 2022, 7:35 am

Don't let the door slam into you on your way out, Mr No-vax.

I note Farage was sucking up to this wealthy man. How dare Australia decide who comes into their sovereign country, he was saying. Oh, the irony.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 16th, 2022, 8:02 am

MrFoolish wrote:Don't let the door slam into you on your way out, Mr No-vax.

I note Farage was sucking up to this wealthy man. How dare Australia decide who comes into their sovereign country, he was saying. Oh, the irony.

One of the strange occasions I find myself agreeing with Piers Morgan about the 'Covid rule cheat, immigration form liar, & anti-vaxxer icon".
I'd like to see some humility and sincere contrition about his continued lying, deceit, hubris and previous flouting of COVID procedures and rules, and disregard for science... but I'll settle for them throwing the book at him

-sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 16th, 2022, 8:23 am

Well common sense finally prevailed, but what a ridiculous circus it took to get there.

Mind you, the same applies here in the topic du jour.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 16th, 2022, 8:49 am

Well a message there that no one should be above the law, or think they are above the law.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 16th, 2022, 9:03 am

richfool wrote:Well a message there that no one should be above the law, or think they are above the law.

Yeah, let's hope Boris is reading this message this morning.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 16th, 2022, 9:10 am

I can't believe what Novaks has given up
all the thousands of hours of prcatice and dedictaion to the game
the chance to go ahead in the grand slam "race"
all for the sake of an injection

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 16th, 2022, 9:22 am

pje16 wrote:I can't believe what Novaks has given up
all the thousands of hours of prcatice and dedictaion to the game
the chance to go ahead in the grand slam "race"
all for the sake of an injection

Yes, just a little prick.

U962

Postby U962 » January 16th, 2022, 9:35 am

pje16 wrote:all for the sake of an injection

Tell that to the relatives of the BBC radio presenter Lisa Shaw, age 44 and in good health took the vax and dead within a week. Coroner rules it was "complication following the vax"
Or you might tell it to the other relatives of the 1182 post AZ vax deaths, 684 post Pfzier deaths and for Moderna the number is 29: data as of 05/01/2022.
But not as epic as the 52year old Canadian doctor who was on twitter blasting off at the Anti-this-vax people saying he would not cry at their funeral - yup you can just guess the rest: he took the vax booster and he too was dead in 2 weeks.

Anyway my local village there has been a change of 'heart'
Following someone previously healthy who has mysteriously now developed heart problems, no one now mentions the vax to me (I'm not touching it with a bargepole). more significantly I've received an apology from one of the more strident "you must have the vax" type individuals who now says that it is a personal decision for the person concerned whether they have the vax or not.

One of my best techniques for getting rid of the strident pro-vaxers was to say OK so if its totally safe lets agree that if I get a bad reaction to the vax you pay me £1m - what's the problem with that, you say is totally safe so there's no possibility of you having to pay........
(They don't know I've already had one instant immediate bad reaction to a past vax)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 16th, 2022, 9:38 am

U962 wrote:One of my best techniques for getting rid of the strident pro-vaxers was to say OK so if its totally safe lets agree that if I get a bad reaction to the vax you pay me £1m - what's the problem with that, you say is totally safe so there's no possibility of you having to pay........
(They don't know I've already had one instant immediate bad reaction to a past vax)

Yes, that would get "rid" of me from discussing it further with you too, despite having the ability to pay you. Then again, I am confident I understand large numbers, small probabilities, and tail-event risk. Do you?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 16th, 2022, 9:45 am

U962 wrote:

Tell that to the relatives of the BBC radio presenter Lisa Shaw, age 44 and in good health took the vax and dead within a week. Coroner rules it was "complication following the vax"
Or you might tell it to the other relatives of the 1182 post AZ vax deaths, 684 post Pfzier deaths and for Moderna the number is 29: data as of 05/01/2022.

Millions have has the vaccine and not died from it, so there is VERY little chance of death from it
There will always be exceptions

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 16th, 2022, 10:13 am

U962 wrote:One of my best techniques for getting rid of the strident pro-vaxers was to say OK so if its totally safe lets agree that if I get a bad reaction to the vax you pay me £1m - what's the problem with that, you say is totally safe so there's no possibility of you having to pay........

I call a "straw man" argument here.

As someone in favour of vaccination I, probably along with most pro-vaxxers, totally acknowledge there is a risk associated with the vaccine. In fact I don't think I've EVER heard anyone with any shade of views claim covid vaccines are 100% safe.

The nuance is that you seem to miss is the risk is small compared to the potential benefit. And by you not having it, you still benefit from me being vaccinated. But I totally accept your decision, along with your inability to grasp the subtlety of the judgement.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 16th, 2022, 11:41 am

So would you pay up if you didn't have the vaccine and you ended up in hospital from covid?

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » January 16th, 2022, 12:07 pm

U962 wrote:

Care to provide a link to the source(s) of that data so that we can see the criteria for inclusion in the death numbers, see what steps were taken to control for any confounding factors such as pre-existing conditions, or indeed see if that data is actually real or simply made up?

I do find it striking just how often anti-vaxers quote data without citing any sources making it difficult to then assess the validity of that data, something that is usually important since many of the people posting such data from uncited sources often seem to have little desire and often I suspect also little ability to analyse data they are exposed to. One fundamental failing seems to be an inability to understand the difference between percentages and absolute numbers when looking at small incidences of events across a large population. Your pay-me-£1m tactic seems to be an example of that. Of course no one sensible is denying any possibility of vaccine side effects. Or you might happen to get an undetected insect bite the week after the vaccination that leads to some sort of illness that no doubt you would then immediately claim is a vaccine side effect.

Like dealtn I would have the ability to pay you but for the reasons I mentioned would not bother perusing the conversation any further. I suppose maybe I should accept that yours is a good tactic, at least in terms of not risking prolonging a conversation with people who actually have some respect for science, data and proper scientific method.

- Julian
Last edited by Julian on January 16th, 2022, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”