Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Autumn 22 Covid Booster

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
feder1
Lemon Slice

Autumn 22 Covid Booster

Postby feder1 » September 15th, 2022, 2:02 pm

Had this one yesterday, Moderna Bivalent, and unlike the Pfizers, it has given me quite a sore left arm.

It targets two viruses, the 2020 and omicron versions.

The morning session suddenly became very busy at about 945 owing to the free bus passes kicking in, my OH reports from her volunteer session.

I hope I can throw the ball up tomorrow morning when I play tennis again!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Autumn 22 Covid Booster

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 15th, 2022, 2:26 pm

feder1 wrote:

Ah, I should have guessed. Hope to see you back at Wimbledon next year Roger.

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 15th, 2022, 2:46 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
feder1 wrote:

Ah, I should have guessed. Hope to see you back at Wimbledon next year Roger.

RC

I doubt it, he's just announced his retirement!

--kiloran

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 15th, 2022, 10:04 pm

feder1 wrote:Had this one yesterday, Moderna Bivalent, and unlike the Pfizers, it has given me quite a sore left arm.

The morning session suddenly became very busy at about 945 owing to the free bus passes kicking in, my OH reports from her volunteer session.

I've heard the same thing from others. Wondering whether the formula needs tweaking. I have an appt tomorrow for 4th jab ..... maybe should cancel

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 15th, 2022, 11:09 pm

bruncher wrote:
feder1 wrote:Had this one yesterday, Moderna Bivalent, and unlike the Pfizers, it has given me quite a sore left arm.

I've heard the same thing from others. Wondering whether the formula needs tweaking. I have an appt tomorrow for 4th jab ..... maybe should cancel

All you people must be older than me, therefore an ancient! My next jab is not until 29 September.

Dod

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 15th, 2022, 11:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:
bruncher wrote:

All you people must be older than me, therefore an ancient! My next jab is not until 29 September.

Dod

Your 5th?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 15th, 2022, 11:15 pm

bruncher wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
bruncher wrote:

Dod

Your 5th?

I am sure it is my 5th. Are most merely on their 4th? I am ancient at 80!

Dod

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » September 16th, 2022, 7:49 am

Two days after the jab my arm is substantially better and will be useable for tennis this morning!

We didn,t wait to be called but went on the NHS site and booked a slot at the centre of our choosing - ASAP.

We have done the same with the flu jab and will attend the Asda jab in a few days time.

Somehow my proposed shingles jab we were supposed to be locating has slipped through the net and will need more investigating. I seem to recall that Mrs F was quoted a hefty price owing to her lower age.

There has be a time gap between the shingles jab and the covid jab.

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 16th, 2022, 7:53 am

Thanks for the update. My (unscientific) sense tells me that there was less testing for the latest (Omicron) iterations of the jab.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 16th, 2022, 8:14 am

bruncher wrote:

Same here. One of our bell ringers had the jab yesterday and her arm was so sore by the evening she was unable to take part in any bell ringing,

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 16th, 2022, 10:05 am

Mike4 wrote:Same here. One of our bell ringers had the jab yesterday and her arm was so sore by the evening she was unable to take part in any bell ringing,

Pleased to hear of other bellringers on TLF :-) Am busy with quarters this w/e (& a peal attempt on Monday afternoon) for the funeral so can do without sore arms.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 16th, 2022, 4:14 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Same here. One of our bell ringers had the jab yesterday and her arm was so sore by the evening she was unable to take part in any bell ringing,

Pleased to hear of other bellringers on TLF :-) Am busy with quarters this w/e (& a peal attempt on Monday afternoon) for the funeral so can do without sore arms.

Aha, now you're the only other ringer I've ever seen declare themselves on TLF! SO that's two of us at least.

What method are you aiming for a peal of on Monday? I still consider myself a learner. Been ringing about 5 years. We rang a quarter peal of Bob Minor (half muffled) on Tuesday. I trebled. I don't think I have a peal in me! (Three hours of continuous ringing with no stopping and no mistakes, for those reading and wondering what a peal actually is...)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » September 16th, 2022, 10:25 pm

bruncher wrote:I've heard the same thing from others. Wondering whether the formula needs tweaking.

Probably less a question of the "formula" and more a question of residual immunity recognising the antigen. It was noticeable that having had Covid early on, I had a bad time after my second jab, whereas I know lots of people who had problems after their third. Nothing serious, just a sore arm where they hadn't had one the first two times.

This thread is probably better off moved to the Covid folder, but it's worth noting that there's recent research suggesting that jabs could be down to 50% efficiacy after just 4 months against current variants, they really are sneaky buggers. In turn that means if you've had an infection lately, it's probably worth pushing back your jab for a few months, on the assumption that the infection will have provided a "boost" and delaying your vaccine a couple of months will help see you through the winter.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » September 17th, 2022, 10:37 pm

It was my fourth and first Moderna. My arm (around the booster site) was a little painful for two or three days. For other health reasons I take my blood pressure on a regular basis: it was way up. It was so high I got a bit worried but after a few days it has dropped back to around normal (for me). I don’t KNOW that the elevated readings were caused by the booster but it seems possible. I have a friend who is undergoing chemotherapy and he had the booster (with the encouragement of the hospital) but when he went for his pretreatment tests his blood pressure and HR were very high.

Best wishes,

Steve

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » September 18th, 2022, 12:19 am

It's 36 hours now following my 4th jab (Moderna 'spikevax' multivalent). Having heard about people people ill for a couple of days, I am relieved to have experienced no symptoms except the arm feels a bit sore.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 18th, 2022, 12:52 am

Mike4 wrote:
yorkshirelad1 wrote:

Aha, now you're the only other ringer I've ever seen declare themselves on TLF! SO that's two of us at least.

What method are you aiming for a peal of on Monday? I still consider myself a learner. Been ringing about 5 years. We rang a quarter peal of Bob Minor (half muffled) on Tuesday. I trebled. I don't think I have a peal in me! (Three hours of continuous ringing with no stopping and no mistakes, for those reading and wondering what a peal actually is...)

Let's see if we can flush out any other bellringers :-)

A quarter of plain bob minor is pretty impressive. Two quarter peals done (a quarter peal is approx 45 mins, for those reading and wondering what the difference is)
https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1544924
https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1544931
The peal attempt on Monday is planned to be 4 doubles methods, double-muffled.

For those reading and needing clarity on the jargon
plain bob minor is the method (tune) plain bob on six bells, plain bob doubles is the same method on five bells
muffles: these are usually leather (or some other material) "shoes" that fit on one side of the clapper of the bell, which "dulls" the sound. When full circle ringing, the clapper strikes twice, once when the bell swings in one direction, and once in the other. For funerals, the bells are often single (one side) muffled, so you get a "bright" (normal) sound, followed by a slightly dulled sound. Royalty get double muffled (very unusal) but with the tenor (the heaviest or deepest bell) single-muffled. If Fools are out and about on Sunday or Monday and hear bell ringing, this may explain why the sound of the bells may be slightly different (there will probably be a mixture of open, single muffled, and double-muffled, depending on the availability of muffles!) going on.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 27th, 2022, 9:31 am

We both had our boosters (Moderna) on Saturday. Painless at first, but the soreness in our arms changed from fly-bite to wasp sting within a few hours, and three days later it's still at bad-bruise level (although without the bruise, if you know what I mean?)

I'm descended from a long line of blacksmiths, and heredity has very kindly allocated me some fairly satisfactory biceps which I've done absolutely nothing to earn. :D But even picking up a 20 kg breeze block yesterday was not something I'd want to do more than once. Meanwhile, we are both feeling pretty wiped out, presumably by the antibody reaction. It takes all sorts, I suppose?

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 27th, 2022, 9:43 am

bungeejumper wrote:We both had our boosters (Moderna) on Saturday. Painless at first, but the soreness in our arms changed from fly-bite to wasp sting within a few hours, and three days later it's still at bad-bruise level (although without the bruise, if you know what I mean?)

I'm descended from a long line of blacksmiths, and heredity has very kindly allocated me some fairly satisfactory biceps which I've done absolutely nothing to earn. :D But even picking up a 20 kg breeze block yesterday was not something I'd want to do more than once. Meanwhile, we are both feeling pretty wiped out, presumably by the antibody reaction. It takes all sorts, I suppose?

BJ

Don't cheer me up. I am due mine on Thursday. Mind you I have no need to go around lifting breeze blocks.

Dod

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 27th, 2022, 10:29 am

Had mine yesterday. All pretty normal, no effects of any note.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 27th, 2022, 11:31 am

For anyone who has actually had covid recently, it is perhaps worth delaying the booster if possible for a couple of months.The recent infection will have given rise to just as much immunity as a booster shot would give, and both infection-based immunity and vaccine immunity fade after a few months so better wait a while so the immunities occur serially, rather than in parallel.

Disclaimer. Never take medical advice from a plumber.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”