Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Autumn 22 Covid Booster

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Autumn 22 Covid Booster

Postby XFool » October 31st, 2022, 3:13 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:One point that has been brought up on here is the amount of time a vaccine has been in use before it can be declared "safe" to use.

Perhaps the only realistic way is by population self-selection?

FYI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_trial

Phase IV
"Phase IV trials are typically monitor stages that collect information continuously on vaccine usage, adverse effects, and long-term immunity after the vaccine is licensed and marketed. Harmful effects, such as increased risk of liver failure or heart attacks, discovered by Phase IV trials may result in a drug being no longer sold, or restricted to certain uses; ...Thus, the fourth phase of clinical trials is used to ensure long-term vaccine safety."

Which is, presumably, where we are now with the COVID vaccines. Indeed, how could it be anything else?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 31st, 2022, 3:17 pm

XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:One point that has been brought up on here is the amount of time a vaccine has been in use before it can be declared "safe" to use.

FYI

Phase IV
"Phase IV trials are typically monitor stages that collect information continuously on vaccine usage, adverse effects, and long-term immunity after the vaccine is licensed and marketed. Harmful effects, such as increased risk of liver failure or heart attacks, discovered by Phase IV trials may result in a drug being no longer sold, or restricted to certain uses; ...Thus, the fourth phase of clinical trials is used to ensure long-term vaccine safety."

Which is, presumably, where we are now with the COVID vaccines. Indeed, how could it be anything else?

Yes

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 31st, 2022, 3:25 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

FYI

Phase IV

Yes

And, with a topping of individual "population self-selection", that's it! :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 31st, 2022, 5:57 pm

XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

FYI

Phase IV

Yes

And, with a topping of individual "population self-selection", that's it! :)

The issue was with phase III which would normally take 10 years.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 31st, 2022, 7:12 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The issue was with phase III which would normally take 10 years.

Well, you did originally say: "I have had the flu vaccine as usual, different beast altogether with decades of safety and efficacy data."

So I assumed it was long term issues you were concerned with.

Phase III
Similarly. Phase III trials continue to monitor toxicity, immunogenicity, and SAEs on a much larger scale. The vaccine must be shown to be safe and effective in natural disease conditions before being submitted for approval and then general production. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for approving vaccines.

Pfizer and BioNTech Announce Publication of Results from Landmark Phase 3 Trial of BNT162b2 COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate in The New England Journal of Medicine
Thursday, December 10, 2020 - 10:21am

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-announce-publication-results-landmark

"The Phase 3 trial is designed as a 1:1 vaccine candidate to placebo, randomized, observer-blinded study to obtain safety, immune response, and efficacy data needed for regulatory review."

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 31st, 2022, 11:02 pm

I am thinking two things. Firstly, how "long" would be considered long enough to show a vaccine is demonstrably "safe"? Five years? Ten years? Twenty-five years?

Secondly, in order to establish such a long record of safe use, any vaccine would have to be in use for that length of time to be established as safe!

It's worth noting that although yes, it can take 10-15 years for new drugs to get approved, most of that time isn't spent "testing" - and compared to "normal" drugs, vaccines have two disadvantages and one advantage.

A lot of the total time taken involves paperwork going to and fro between people's desks, and a lot of that hold up is just a question of the resources available. It was even worse for new vaccines as historically they've not been a great moneymaker, so they tended to find themselves at the back of the queue behind all the ulcer drugs etc. That wasn't the case with Covid - there was the cash to get round any roadblock, everything was in the priority lane.

Perhaps the biggest problem with vaccines is patient recruitment. With a "normal" drug that is trying to "cure" a disease, it's fairly easy to find a population of people with the disease, split them into two or more groups and give one the drug and the other a placebo. If you're testing an acne drug then you just need to go to a few schools and you will have more than enough kids with acne for your statistics to work. Whereas it's different if you're testing a vaccine to prevent a disease in the first place, assuming that the disease is too nasty to deliberately infect people with then it can be quite hard to find a population where it's sufficiently likely that they will get it that you can see what difference a vaccine makes.

For instance, historically there was one case of monkeypox every 6 months in the UK - how do you test a vaccine in that population? Even now where there's an "outbreak", only 1 in 20,000 people have caught it this year. Even big drugs trials only have a few thousand people, but you could have 100,000 people in one arm of the trial, during an outbreak, and yet you'd only expect 5 of them to catch it in 6 months - how do you tell if the vaccine is really having an effect in such low numbers? And yet it's hugely complicated, costly and above all time-consuming to organise a trial with at least two arms of 100k people, never mind just motivating people to take part in a trial of a vaccine for something so obscure.

So again that was one way in which Covid was not a normal vaccine trial, it was being tested at a time when millions of people were catching the disease, and there was no shortage of volunteers prepared to answer the call and allow themselves to be recruited. That made a massive, massive difference in how quickly one could tell if it worked or not.

On the flip side, one good thing about vaccines is that problems tend to show up quickly. If you're testing an Alzheimer's drug, you could be waiting 5-10 years to see if your patients go gaga or not. Vaccines are not like that - the effect of a vaccine depends on an immune response, which ramps up quickly and then fades away, so any problems generally show up during that initial immune response, within weeks if not days or hours.

One another comment - something that's bedevilled the Covid debate is that people from allied fields tend to jump in and comment regardless of how much they actually know about the matter at hand, when outsiders might think "Oh, (s)he works on X, she must know about the Y under discussion" when the reality is that even though X appears related, the detail of Y is so different that knowing about X is irrelevant. In fact it works the other way, that the people closest to the field but outside it, know enough about X to know how little they know, whereas the less expert just breeze in obliviously. So you'll get media bookers going down a list of increasing ignorance, with the people who know 70% about X or 60% about X declining until they get down to the people who know 20% about the subject, who don't realise how little they know. And then they're the ones who get on telly or who start YouTube channels.

I feel a bit the same way. I may have done a PhD on mechanisms of infection, but I know enough to know how badly placed I am to judge the trustworthiness of the trials. However at least I speak the same language as the immunologists and it was striking at the time how they had a consensus that although extra time would be nice, the accelerated approach was the right way to go in the circumstances and they were happy with the safety profile that came out of the trials. And then of course we've had billions of people receive the jabs without significant problems. Although as someone who had long Covid for a year before getting jabbed for the first time, I don't have too much time for those who seek to draw conclusions about vaccine safety from half-baked analysis of a population in which infection with this nasty, persistent virus is rife.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » November 1st, 2022, 2:08 am

XFool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
XFool wrote:If you accept COVID itself is a risk, particularly to older people, is still endemic and the vaccines have already been shown to be safe and effective in producing immunity - albeit of limited duration - what is so problematical about extending that protection during the winter months?

Can you show me where this has been shown. AIUI the vaccines are shown to lessen the severity of the infection not to produce immunity.

I am not sure why you are asking me. From what you say you should be more qualified than I to find relevant sources. There are many available, here is a discussion taken at random: https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1605

Presumably they "lessen the severity of the infection" by conferring immunity. Isn't that how vaccines work? If the vaccines did not confer some immunity - which you seem to be querying - how did they ever come to be approved in the first place? Starting to sound a bit like a conspiracy theory to me.

With John’s background I am sure he is far more able than me to argue these points (re purely personal decisions as he has stated) but I get the impression that he and I are pretty much on the same page re another booster. For me the issue is definitely nothing to do with the efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines i.e. protection conferred particularly against serious disease, for me it is to do with how much if any additional protection I might get after a 4th dose vs what I already have from my 3 doses. When I got my first booster (3rd jab) the clinical data was in my view compelling and I got that booster as quickly as I possibly could. I have yet to see any data on these 4th bivalent boosters beyond antibody data that might or might not translate into beneficial clinical outcomes.

I am 100% willing to change my mind and get another dose if/when I can find data on clinical outcomes that looks encouraging but for now I am yet to find it. And again I emphasise that it is efficacy of 3 doses plus bivalent booster vs 3 doses only that is of interest to me. I am in no way saying that the baseline 2 dose plus booster isn’t of immense value.

- Julian

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » November 3rd, 2022, 1:49 am

Julian wrote:I am 100% willing to change my mind and get another dose if/when I can find data on clinical outcomes that looks encouraging but for now I am yet to find it. And again I emphasise that it is efficacy of 3 doses plus bivalent booster vs 3 doses only that is of interest to me. I am in no way saying that the baseline 2 dose plus booster isn’t of immense value.

- Julian

AFAIA all that's in the public domain other than that tiny study out the other day is the FDA authorisation which is in vitro - both are along the lines of :

the FDA analyzed immune response data among approximately 600 adults greater than 55 years of age who had previously received a 2-dose primary series and one booster dose with the monovalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. These participants received a second booster dose of either the monovalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine or Pfizer-BioNTech’s investigational bivalent COVID-19 vaccine (original and omicron BA.1) 4.7 to 13.1 months after the first booster dose. After one month, the immune response against BA.1 of the participants who received the bivalent vaccine was better than the immune response of those who had received the monovalent Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine.

except Moderna's population were over 18 rather than over 55 for Pfizer.

However, that didn't stop me getting my booster today (Pfizer bivalent-BA.1). The main reason is that in general the jabs don't last very long, 4-5 months seems pretty typical, and the protection from my big infection in the summer should be wearing off, whereas this should cover me for some upcoming high-risk activities (flying) and Christmas.

And assuming that omicron protection is like the original one in needing two exposures for your immune system to properly get a feel for it, I'd rather have an omicron-based exposure than another "classic" exposure. If nothing else, it should give you a bit more buffer against future variants, the bivalent vaccine should help your immune system recognise future omicron derivatives that a classic jab wouldn't train it against.

It's interesting, they're still keeping one of the big jabbing centres open near us but otherwise the options all seemed to be GP surgeries and pharmacies, but only a fraction of the pharmacies that can do flu jabs. I applied online last night and got an appointment today, at worst they seemed to be offering 3-4 days wait at other places. All the staff and the other patient had masks, I waited about 10 minutes after the appointed time. I asked for a flu jab as well and he said no problem, he did them both in my left arm. I can see why that might be the preference if the arm is big enough to take two jabs, but I suspect most people don't have arms as big as mine! It's been a bit sore this evening but nothing major.

Oh and I keep seeing people say "omicron's less severe". Well, all other things being equal (which generally they aren't) it's about half as likely to put you in hospital *as delta* - but delta is about the most severe of all the variants. And just speaking for myself as someone who's had "classic" Wuhan and (probably) two doses of omicron BA.4/5 - the permanent loss of most of my sense of smell is pretty horrible for someone who loves wine etc - but the fatigue I've had with omicron would be horrible for anybody. The acute phase from omicron with jabs was worse for me than Wuhan without jabs - I was completely wiped out - and I still seem to have some ongoing problems with fatigue although it's fairly random. I really don't recommend it, I would rather have had Wuhan again.

So don't be complacent - it may not be on the news every night but it's not gone away. The ONS reckon about 1 in 30 people have it in England (1 in 35 in the other nations), 2.3 million people (1 in 29) have long Covid in the UK, of which 68% have had it for over a year, and 15% (342k) say it limits their daily life "a lot".

And yes it's frustrating that there's no single magic fix to make it go away, but we know what works to reduce risk, it's just a question of layering those various risk-reducers. Crowds, close contact and confined spaces are bad, whilst masks, vaccines and ventilation all help reduce the risk.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2022, 8:45 am

I have just received my results back for my covid 19 antibody test from these people

https://attomarker.com/biomarker-panels/

We looked at offering this test earlier in the year but were not convinced how useful it was.

They say:

The test measures the antibody immunity profile for antibodies binding to spike, omicron-spike, nucleocapsid and receptor binding domain proteins. 1,2 Antibody Immunity profile (Figure 5) provides the following information:
Nucleocapsid (N) indicating past viremia;
Spike Protein (S) indicating past infection or vaccination;
Spike Protein from the Omicron Variant (SO) indicating vaccine binding to the Omicron variant or infection from Omicron;
Receptor Binding Domain (RBD)

My results showed that I still have a level of immunity that will remain above threshold for another 126 days from now.

I had my last shot a year ago and have not had covid so I am not sure how that works but may explain why I seem to have been lucky enough to avoid covid so far.

John

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 3rd, 2022, 10:54 am

redsturgeon wrote:I have just received my results back for my covid 19 antibody test from these people

We looked at offering this test earlier in the year but were not convinced how useful it was.

They say:

The test measures the antibody immunity profile for antibodies binding to spike, omicron-spike, nucleocapsid and receptor binding domain proteins. 1,2 Antibody Immunity profile (Figure 5) provides the following information:
Spike Protein from the Omicron Variant (SO) indicating vaccine binding to the Omicron variant or infection from Omicron;

My results showed that I still have a level of immunity that will remain above threshold for another 126 days from now.

I had my last shot a year ago and have not had covid so I am not sure how that works but may explain why I seem to have been lucky enough to avoid covid so far.

John

It looks like your immune levels (presumably from the vaccines) have lasted longer than expected. It would be good to know how widespread this protection remains. I suppose it is more expensive to check immunity throughout the population, rather than just being on the safe side, and offering boosters to likely candidates (like us oldies).

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 3rd, 2022, 11:08 am

scotia wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I have just received my results back for my covid 19 antibody test from these people

They say:

John

It looks like your immune levels (presumably from the vaccines) have lasted longer than expected. It would be good to know how widespread this protection remains. I suppose it is more expensive to check immunity throughout the population, rather than just being on the safe side, and offering boosters to likely candidates (like us oldies).

Or is John partial to bat soup? ;)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2022, 11:37 am

servodude wrote:
Or is John partial to bat soup? ;)

I'm vegetarian

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 8th, 2022, 5:40 pm

This is interesting.

Having decided to forgo the autumn booster vaccine I am now being bombarded by texts and emails reminding me that I have been offered a vaccine.

There seems to be now way to opt out.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 8th, 2022, 6:35 pm

redsturgeon wrote:This is interesting.

Having decided to forgo the autumn booster vaccine I am now being bombarded by texts and emails reminding me that I have been offered a vaccine.

John

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave :lol:

I had my booster a couple of weeks ago. The three injections before did leave me in no doubt that I would have side effects. However, on this occasion whilst I did have some side effects they didn't last as long and they were slightly milder.

Well I've had my little prick. I was quite fortunate. I managed to time it with a solid dose of bronchitis and the side effects of my new medication. All in I can happily say I'm glad that lot is behind me and I will be round at red's abode tomorrow with my rubbing rag and oil :lol: . My badness :oops:

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 8th, 2022, 6:39 pm

They say:

John

Some people seem to be naturally immune.

Me and my better half have both had covid. Our 15 year old daughter didn't come down with it.

AiY(D)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2022, 6:54 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:Or is John partial to bat soup? ;)

I'm vegetarian

Didn't you also tell us that you are teetotal?

By any chance did you go for the total trifecta and become celibate? :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 8th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
servodude wrote:Or is John partial to bat soup? ;)

I'm vegetarian

Didn't you also tell us that you are teetotal?

By any chance did you go for the total trifecta and become celibate? :D

Perhaps this is the secret of my apparent immunity...

:D

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 8th, 2022, 10:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:This is interesting.

John

Same here. i'm getting an avalanche of texts blagging me to get a booster. having had Covid back in August I think I still might have a bit of residual immunity, so my decision is to delay getting the booster (if at all) for a while yet.

Mebbe I should write out my reasons for this. Putting stuff down in writing forces one to clear the mind and the logic.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 8th, 2022, 11:01 pm

If celibacy gives immunity and vaccination gives immunity does vaccination make you celibate?

Best wishes,

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 8th, 2022, 11:24 pm

Steveam wrote:If celibacy gives immunity and vaccination gives immunity does vaccination make you celibate?

Best wishes,

Steve

No. Were someone to claim that given the logic posted it would be a classic example of the "fallacy of the undistributed middle"
We've seen a fair bit of that round these parts :roll:

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”