Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Study on new bivalent vaccines

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Study on new bivalent vaccines

Postby redsturgeon » November 1st, 2022, 5:14 pm

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 2.513349v1
When given as a fourth dose, a bivalent mRNA vaccine targeting Omicron BA.4/BA.5 and an ancestral SARS-CoV-2 strain did not induce superior neutralizing antibody responses in humans, at the time period tested, compared to the original monovalent vaccine formulation.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Study on new bivalent vaccines

Postby XFool » November 1st, 2022, 5:40 pm

...OK. But:

"bioRxiv posts many COVID19-related papers. A reminder: they have not been formally peer-reviewed and should not guide health-related behavior or be reported in the press as conclusive."

Even if it proves to be correct, as there is no evidence of a disadvantage to the bivalent mRNA version, what would be the issue?

Plus, their paper does not seem to cover the situation of people in the UK like myself, who had: AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, then the bivalent Moderna Spikevax

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 1st, 2022, 5:49 pm

XFool wrote:...OK. But:

"bioRxiv posts many COVID19-related papers. A reminder: they have not been formally peer-reviewed and should not guide health-related behavior or be reported in the press as conclusive."

Even if it proves to be correct, as there is no evidence of a disadvantage to the bivalent mRNA version, what would be the issue?

Plus, their paper does not seem to cover the situation of people in the UK like myself, who had: AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, then the bivalent Moderna Spikevax

Just giving the information, it's up to you what to do with it.

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 1st, 2022, 5:51 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Just giving the information, it's up to you what to do with it.

Fair enough.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 1st, 2022, 7:00 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Just giving the information, it's up to you what to do with it.

John

Thanks for the reference. As far as we were concerned (upper 70s), the boost from any of the vaccines would have been acceptable. We guessed that a bivalent vaccine (which we received) would give some improvement against omicron - but if that is not the case, then it doesn't matter - its getting another boost that matters (and our flu jab at the same time).
I have had a look at the (full text) paper. Maybe I have missed a key feature in the text - what was the sample size? The two comparison groups had significantly different average ages - 55.3 years for the group on four monovalent vaccinations, and 36.4 years for three monovalent plus one bivalent vaccinations. Why? A suspicious mind suggests that their sample sizes are small (and associated statistical accuracies are poor) - otherwise they would have attempted to balance the age profiles in their groups. OK - I have had another look, and have blown up their diagram to readable size. It contains the character "n" at the base of each graph. This ranges from 14 to 21. I suspect this may be the total number of participants. And the graphs are logarithmic in the vertical - so the error bars are really large.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 1st, 2022, 8:01 pm

scotia wrote:

I have had a look at the (full text) paper. Maybe I have missed a key feature in the text - what was the sample size? The two comparison groups had significantly different average ages - 55.3 years for the group on four monovalent vaccinations, and 36.4 years for three monovalent plus one bivalent vaccinations. Why? A suspicious mind suggests that their sample sizes are small (and associated statistical accuracies are poor) - otherwise they would have attempted to balance the age profiles in their groups. OK - I have had another look, and have blown up their diagram to readable size. It contains the character "n" at the base of each graph. This ranges from 14 to 21. I suspect this may be the total number of participants.

You are indeed correct. "Table S1. Summary of clinical cohorts" and "Table S2. Demographics of clinical cohorts" are in "Supplementary Material"

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”