Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Why Some People Might Never Get COVID

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Why Some People Might Never Get COVID

Postby redsturgeon » November 10th, 2022, 7:50 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArDhhlHU-I

25 minute video discussing various studies providing the latest insights on this.

Quite heavy scientific information but presented very clearly.

Well worth the effort IMHO.

John

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Some People Might Never Get COVID

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 10th, 2022, 10:39 am

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArDhhlHU-I

25 minute video discussing various studies providing the latest insights on this.

John

Thank you for posting this, it's very interesting. I've been infected with Covid twice and tested positive. On both occasions I had just a mild headache for a few hours and sneezed a couple of times. My OH, more than a decade younger than me, who infected me on both occasions, was unwell for a couple of weeks and needed a day or two in bed. We've both had the vaccines offered. Why the difference? I have 'odd' eating habits and frequently undertake extended fasts (3 days+), there seems to be good evidence that extended fasting boosts the immune system. I'm not a medic - but as I understand it one of the effects of fasting is to boost the production of new leukocytes, among other effects. I have wondered whether that may have helped me. But having watched the video in your link there are other specific genetic reasons, possibly more likely.

RC

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why Some People Might Never Get COVID

Postby Julian » November 12th, 2022, 9:59 am

redsturgeon wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArDhhlHU-I

John

Thanks John. I agree, well worth the effort. I stumbled across Medcram quite early on in the pandemic. At a time when I still felt that John Campbell was doing valuable work sifting through and presenting basic stats on the worldwide spread and effects (hospitalisation and deaths) of the pandemic in the early days, plus early results of the vaccine trials and rollouts, I found Medcram to be a very accessible way to dig one level further down into the science than John Campbell was doing. The Medcram channel also had some good guests, in particular way back in the early days of the Pandemic (too far back for me to easily dig out the link) they interviewed Shane Crotty on the very detailed work that he and Alessandro Sette had done on immune memory after infection (the work was prior to the vaccines being ready) and that work is still of interest and relevance today I think with those two researchers arguably being the world’s leading experts on that topic.

Having never tested positive for Covid-19 despite testing every time I have cold-like symptoms, and in the more intense phases of the pandemic before going to social events even if I felt 100% OK, I think I might be one of those people with a “lucky” MHC-1 allele. I certainly hope so because this really can be a nasty virus. I’m about to start a thread in a somewhat similar vein to yours with another interesting (to me) and very technical video potentially giving some insights, sadly rather disturbing ones, into long Covid from another YouTube channel that I discovered that I find useful for digging further (slightly further even than Medcram) into the science.

- Julian

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”